PDA

View Full Version : Finally watched Serenity. Questions/spoilers

wabi-sabi
02-24-2006, 06:17 AM
Ok, so I finally had a chance to watch Serenity last night. My biggest question is what do you think Shepard Book is?
Or should I say was? I'd hazard a guess that he was a retired Operative, based on his comment to Mal that the government sent one after him. How'd he know Operatives even existed unless he was one. Plus in the episode where he was shot, the captain of the Alliance ship reacted to his ID card in the same manner that the doctor reacted to the Operatives, right before he was eliminated.

GelfXIII
02-24-2006, 06:18 AM
Ok, so I finally had a chance to watch Serenity last night. My biggest question is what do you think Shepard Book is?
Or should I say was? I'd hazard a guess that he was a retired Operative, based on his comment to Mal that the government sent one after him. How'd he know Operatives even existed unless he was one. Plus in the episode where he was shot, the captain of the Alliance ship reacted to his ID card in the same manner that the doctor reacted to the Operatives, right before he was eliminated.
Yup. That's pretty much the assumption.

ClintP
02-24-2006, 06:28 AM
I would like some comics or something to give the backstory on him. When I watched the episodes recently, I got the same vibe as both of you. I would like to see what finally made him decide to be a shepard.

wabi-sabi
02-24-2006, 06:38 AM
I would like some comics or something to give the backstory on him. When I watched the episodes recently, I got the same vibe as both of you. I would like to see what finally made him decide to be a shepard.
The Shepard backstory seems like it has a great deal of potential. I'd say the motivation to become a shepard was the same thing the Operative said. "There is no place in the perfect future for monsters like me." Book probably just got tired of being a monster. He wanted to be human.

ClintP
02-24-2006, 07:23 AM
The Shepard backstory seems like it has a great deal of potential. I'd say the motivation to become a shepard was
the same thing the Operative said. "There is no place in the perfect future for monsters like me." Book probably just got tired of being a monster. He wanted to be human.

You are probably right, but I want to see some Shepard Book going crazy on some Browncoats or whoever else damit! With the crazy hair no less!!!

Agent Desmond
02-24-2006, 07:25 AM
He was actually a detective

http://www.afan.dk/firefly/ffpic/rg_barneymiller_02.jpg

(you're probably write about the operative part too)

ClintP
02-24-2006, 07:27 AM
He was actually a detective

That is awesome! I loved that part in the show where River
freaks out about his hair.

It was classic!

wabi-sabi
02-24-2006, 07:28 AM
You are probably right, but I want to see some Shepard Book going crazy on some Browncoats or whoever else damit! With the crazy hair no less!!!
That one episode with River running away from his crazy hair was freaking hilarious! "Keep on walking preacher man."

ClintP
02-24-2006, 07:31 AM
"Too.. Much.. Hair..."

Xander Boune
02-24-2006, 07:38 AM
The Shepard backstory seems like it has a great deal of potential. I'd say the motivation to become a shepard was the same thing the Operative said. "There is no place in the perfect future for monsters like me." Book probably just got tired of being a monster. He wanted to be human.

That's pretty much how I saw it, but I think he also needed something to believe in. Remember, before he died, Book told Mal that he needed to "believe." He probably figured that Mal was lost and aimless since the war and never really had a mission anymore other than keeping Serenity flying. He was trying to have Mal find some real purpose to live for.

The Operative believed in the Alliance, and once that belief was shattered, he was a broken man with no mission. I think the same probably happened to Book at some point, but he was able to move on by switching his belief from the Alliance to a higher power (God).