PDA

View Full Version : Goddammit, I want to see the V for Vendetta movie NOW!

Brian Defferding
02-23-2006, 12:19 PM
*has temper tantrum*

twigglet
02-23-2006, 12:20 PM
I have been hyping this up for a while.

And no I don't care if Moore doesn't like it really.

Gregory
02-23-2006, 12:21 PM
*pauses bootleg copy*

Sorry, what was that?

Brian Defferding
*pauses bootleg copy*

Sorry, what was that?

:mad:

Ryan Elliott
Me too man. Me too.

"People shouldn't be afraid of their Governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Gregory
02-23-2006, 12:22 PM

I kid. I kid.

I heard you even though the bootleg was playing.

Victor Cabanelas
02-23-2006, 12:26 PM
I have hopes for this one

Brian Defferding
02-23-2006, 12:26 PM
I kid. I kid.

Generic Poster
02-23-2006, 12:27 PM
From what I've been reading, sounds like it sticks pretty close to the source. Did Moore disassociate himself from this because he thought it sucked, or just because he was burned in the past?

The Roman Candle
You shouldn't see it, because then Goddard will look down on you.

Hey, wait a second...

RODGER
you and me both brotha!!!!!

Gavin
02-23-2006, 12:31 PM
*pauses bootleg copy*

Sorry, what was that?
:D

bartleby
02-23-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't buy Alan Moore's dis of the movie for a second. It just doesn't jive with his previous attitude toward movie adaptations of his work.

Brian Defferding
02-23-2006, 12:33 PM
From what I've been reading, sounds like it sticks pretty close to the source. Did Moore disassociate himself from this because he thought it sucked, or just because he was burned in the past?

While I don't know about the specifics about the contract he signed for V for Vendetta (was it the same as Watchmen?), I got the impression that he burned himself thinking he'd get the rights to the comic story sooner but Warner Bros. did some things to keep the rights (and make a movie out of it). Also he hated how Warner Bros went forward with all the movies based on his story without his approval and/or blessing. At first he "dissociated" himself from those movies, now apparently he's actually asking fans to not see this movie.

Gavin
02-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, whether he wants it or not I'm going to go see it. Can't wait. Was skeptical, but have heard enough good reports that I'm quite excited.

Ray G.
02-23-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm looking forward to it. Seems like a good movie, even if the politics have me a teensy bit nervous.

Ryan Elliott
02-23-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm looking forward to it. Seems like a good movie, even if the politics have me a teensy bit nervous.

No, no, NO! This thread will NOT be turned into a politics thread, goddammit! This thread is about V for Vendetta: The Movie. No politics!

Carry on! :-x

Jonny Z
02-23-2006, 12:44 PM

hahahahaha you're like the only one on the board who's gonna have a problem with the movie :lol:

Ben
02-23-2006, 12:47 PM
hahahahaha you're like the only one on the board who's gonna have a problem with the movie :lol:
I don't know. Ray isn't a big fan of Nazis. He'll probably hate the government as much as you're supposed to.

Gavin
02-23-2006, 12:52 PM
No, no, NO! This thread will NOT be turned into a politics thread, goddammit! This thread is about V for Vendetta: The Movie. No politics!

Carry on! :-x
:scared:

Now that Batman is going after Osama I would have thought you'd be very political.:)

Ziolko
02-23-2006, 01:13 PM
I personally wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Hollywood doesn't have a great track record when it comes to adapting Alan Moore creations. If I end up seeing it (probably rental; a babysitter's hard to find sometimes), I'd go into it a bit cautious. It doesn't help that I'm such a big fan of the source material that I may be overly skeptical of the movie in the first place.

But what the hell. If it means more people ends up reading the book, then hoorah for that. :)

Brian Defferding
02-23-2006, 01:15 PM
But what the hell. If it means more people ends up reading the book, then hoorah for that. :)

I already have someone reading the book because of this movie, and he doesn't read comics regularly. My dad is interested in reading it too. So there's that going for it :)

The Roman Candle
02-23-2006, 01:15 PM
I don't know. Ray isn't a big fan of Nazis. He'll probably hate the government as much as you're supposed to.

This movie might finally solve one of the board's deepest mysteries.

Which does Ray hate more: nazis or terrorists?

Craig C
02-23-2006, 04:13 PM
While I don't know about the specifics about the contract he signed for V for Vendetta (was it the same as Watchmen?), I got the impression that he burned himself thinking he'd get the rights to the comic story sooner but Warner Bros. did some things to keep the rights (and make a movie out of it). Also he hated how Warner Bros went forward with all the movies based on his story without his approval and/or blessing. At first he "dissociated" himself from those movies, now apparently he's actually asking fans to not see this movie.

Or it could be his way of getting people to see the movie kinda like reverse psychology and isn't Moore an anarchist?

YouStayClassy
02-23-2006, 04:19 PM
I personally wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Hollywood doesn't have a great track record when it comes to adapting Alan Moore creations. If I end up seeing it (probably rental; a babysitter's hard to find sometimes), I'd go into it a bit cautious. It doesn't help that I'm such a big fan of the source material that I may be overly skeptical of the movie in the first place.

What I'll never understand is what went wrong with League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Did James Robinson's script get massively rewrote or was he just totally and uncharacteristically off when he wrote it?

TheGibson
02-23-2006, 05:03 PM
As far as I know he's never had any involement in any of his movies. Last I heard he hadn't even seen any of them.

mlpeters
02-23-2006, 06:39 PM
What I'll never understand is what went wrong with League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Did James Robinson's script get massively rewrote or was he just totally and uncharacteristically off when he wrote it?

From what I've read and heard, League began as a comic and movie almost concurrently. The movie rights were bought based on the basic concept and name -- Moore was in the process of writing the comic. The movie's scriptwriter wasn't able to see the comic before writing the script -- it's little wonder there's almost no relation between the 2. It's like writing the movie adaptation of a novel based on the writers early notes. At the time, I think, Moore saw the movie and the cash it could bring, as a good way to finance comics that didn't have to be comercial.

V and Watchmen are more complex, as far as Moore's views on movies. Moore's deal with DC was that as soon as the books (V and Watchmen) were out of print for 1 year, all rights would revert to him and the artists involved. TPBs weren't as common then, and he assumed he and the artists would have their rights within a short time (5-10 years max). Instead, the books have stayed in print. Most writers would be happy about that, as long as the royalty checks keep comong in, but, from what I've read, Moore would rather no one see movies made from these books, or for that matter, buy these books, as that would keep them in print. The movie, almost guarentees he'll never get the rights to V back, at least not for a very long time.

There have been rumors (from the more fanatic, perhaps, of Moore fans) that DC/Warner actually pulps many copies of V and Watchmen, just to print more and keep the rights. I doubt this -- the books are more than good enough to stay in print on their own merits.

I'll watch the movie. David Lloyd, who, even by Moore's reckoning, rightly owns half of all rights to V (or will if it ever goes out of print), endorses it and is happy. If you must, think of it as a movie based on the comic drawn by David Lloyd.

mlpeters
02-23-2006, 06:42 PM
As far as I know he's never had any involement in any of his movies. Last I heard he hadn't even seen any of them.

Moore said in an interview at the time of League, that he didn't intend to see it, unless it happened to be on TV, someday. He hadn't, at that time, seen the From Hell movie, though one of his daughters (he has two, doesn't he?) had and liked it, mostly because she was a fan of Johnny Depp.

Brian Defferding
02-24-2006, 09:00 AM
From what I've read and heard, League began as a comic and movie almost concurrently. The movie rights were bought based on the basic concept and name -- Moore was in the process of writing the comic. The movie's scriptwriter wasn't able to see the comic before writing the script -- it's little wonder there's almost no relation between the 2. It's like writing the movie adaptation of a novel based on the writers early notes. At the time, I think, Moore saw the movie and the cash it could bring, as a good way to finance comics that didn't have to be comercial.

V and Watchmen are more complex, as far as Moore's views on movies. Moore's deal with DC was that as soon as the books (V and Watchmen) were out of print for 1 year, all rights would revert to him and the artists involved. TPBs weren't as common then, and he assumed he and the artists would have their rights within a short time (5-10 years max). Instead, the books have stayed in print. Most writers would be happy about that, as long as the royalty checks keep comong in, but, from what I've read, Moore would rather no one see movies made from these books, or for that matter, buy these books, as that would keep them in print. The movie, almost guarentees he'll never get the rights to V back, at least not for a very long time.

There have been rumors (from the more fanatic, perhaps, of Moore fans) that DC/Warner actually pulps many copies of V and Watchmen, just to print more and keep the rights. I doubt this -- the books are more than good enough to stay in print on their own merits.

I'll watch the movie. David Lloyd, who, even by Moore's reckoning, rightly owns half of all rights to V (or will if it ever goes out of print), endorses it and is happy. If you must, think of it as a movie based on the comic drawn by David Lloyd.

That's a far better breakdown than mine. :)

I didn't know League's movie rights were bought concurrently with the comic's creation.

changingshades
02-24-2006, 05:33 PM
I kid. I kid.

man, you are evil dude :D

changingshades
02-24-2006, 05:35 PM
as far as I can tell, Moore always disassociates himself from his movies. He feels the comics are the comics and the movies are the movies, and they have nothing in common except name, and for the most part, I feel he's correct

mlpeters
02-24-2006, 05:46 PM
That's a far better breakdown than mine. :)

I didn't know League's movie rights were bought concurrently with the comic's creation.

At the time the From Hell movie was starting production -- still quite a while before it was made, the producer(s) asked Moore what he was working on. The Producer(s) optiond the movie rights to the premise of League and hired scripts written, while Moore was still writing his comic. I'm surprised the idea was optioned, since the basic idea uses public-domain characters.

NickT
02-24-2006, 05:47 PM
as far as I can tell, Moore always disassociates himself from his movies. He feels the comics are the comics and the movies are the movies, and they have nothing in common except name, and for the most part, I feel he's correct

True, but...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?article=2153

David Lloyd was reported to have commented on the script at the recent Bristol comics convention. Superherohype (http://superherohype.com/news.php?id=3021) posted a fan report talking to Lloyd, saying "he thinks it was very good for an Action Thriller, but is very much different from the Graphic Novel. He said that the character of Evey is less of a victim in this film and that he had met with The Wachoski Brothers."

That means both the writer and artist think it is different :)

mlpeters
02-24-2006, 05:53 PM
True, but...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?article=2153

That means both the writer and artist think it is different :)
Doesn't mean it won't be a good movie. Even the most faithful adaptation are quite different. I love the Lord of the Rings films and feel they capture the spirit of Tolkien's works as well as any movie can, but they're not the same. I like both. I don't see liking the movies as a slight to the books.

NickT
02-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Doesn't mean it won't be a good movie. Even the most faithful adaptation are quite different. I love the Lord of the Rings films and feel they capture the spirit of Tolkien's works as well as any movie can, but they're not the same. I like both. I don't see liking the movies as a slight to the books.
Very true. I'm not expecting anything at all, but it could be good. I've seen good movies that differed from the originals before, after all.

I only quote because some people are assuming it's accurate because some online reviews say it is and because Moore hates the movies.