PDA

View Full Version : Kabuki: The Alchemy Part 6 The empiricist's new clothes (& reviews)

DeadMike
02-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Possible spoilers below:

Wow David, you've done it yet again. Another breathtaking, awe inspiring issue of Kabuki. I don't know why I'm surprised. You've done it consistently with every Kabuki issue prior to this one. Each issue manages to connect in some way.

The words, the images all resonate so strongly. It's getting to the point now where it's almost scary. I was reading part six just dumbfounded cuz there were so many things in there that had been rolling around in my brain lately and then BAM! I see those things right there on the page. Of course executed far more superior than I ever could. But with each turn of the page I was like "yes I know exactly what Mack/Kabuki/Akemi/M.C. Square mean." Syncronicity. There's such a rush of adrenaline and creative juices flowing after digesting an issue of Kabuki. It connects, it motivates and evokes change.

I believe 100% without a doubt that The Alchemy is the most important comic book being published right now. Perhaps ever. You are doing your readers a tremendous service by passing along inspiration and wisdom. And I truly believe that these books will spark change in individuals across the globe. A change for the better. Your readers evolve with each new issue.

I started writing this post and deleted it two and a half times. Torn because it may seem too "kiss assy" but hell it's the truth and it's how I feel so I really don't care. I could go on and on about this book but all I really wanted to say was thank you. Thank you for continuing to do what you do and doing it so well. There are a few things in life that are just pure joy. Kabuki is one of them. I can't wait for the next issue.

Thank you again,

Mike B.

P.S. Have a blast this weekend in NYC. Hopefully next year you can make it down to MegaCon so I can see some of these pages in their original size and texture.

SteveZegers
02-23-2006, 03:35 AM
Yeah, really enjoyed it. It's such a complete experience.

And another really cool alternate cover.

copypastepuke
02-23-2006, 08:40 PM
there were pages in this that i had to stop and just take a step back, away from the story, to just admire how awesome they were. way to go! whens the next issue? :)

J.D. Lombardi
02-28-2006, 05:36 PM
well....I at least thought it was beautiful. The pages and composition were some of the most imaginative I've seen in the series. The story? Not so much...but that has been my beef for at least three issues now, so I'll shaddap and let everyone enjoy it.

8-)

Eric Williams
03-01-2006, 03:53 PM
You think so?
I thought this issue advanced the story quite a bit. It was awesome to see another character from Metamorphosis, and we're finally getting on to the possibility that Akemi is not really a single person.
I loved the issue. I was really impacted by MC's ramblings discussing thinking outside the box. I'm really intruiged to see who shows up next issue. I get the feeling that it could be David, Yukio, or Tigerlilly, since we've already seen them skulking about.

Another great issue. :)

who cares?
03-01-2006, 05:13 PM
i...............

i dont have it yet......

:(

ElectricMuse
03-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks for publishing my letter once again - it's pretty neat to be part of the issue in some small way!

Another beautiful piece of work. Right off the bat, the cover instantly caught my eye in the comic store. I like the theme of houses-as-clothing throughout the issue. I was reading something recently about how houses in dreams can represent levels of consciousness (top floor = logical conscious mind, basement = playful subconcious mind). So it's interesting that Kabuki and M.C. Square were able to explore ideas and be playful and creative living in the house together. It seems like a great "space" to be in. Thanks for reminding me how important it is to think outside the box, be open to ideas from wherever they come, and above all, PLAY!

My latest painting was an exercise in this actually. It was about having fun with paint, trying to capture what I used to do as a child - get my fingers into it, not worrying about colour and form and rules. I'll admit that it wasn't that easy! That critical voice kept creeping up, telling me to "stay in the lines", so to speak. Einstein was right - education does interfere with creativity! I ended up scraping most of the thick paint layers off, but I liked what was being revealed underneath and worked with that (like pulling off a mask to reveal the true self?)

Your artwork in this issue is awesome (gorgeous painting of MC's face on page 4, and that wooden house is great! Did you build it?) and I love buttons! Oh, and thanks for incuding some Canadian coins on the last page. ;)

-Talya

MACK!
03-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Feel welcome to post your reviews here. Or add any other reviews you see as well as your own comments.

I saw this one linked on davidmackguide.com.

http://www.comixtreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25294

MACK!
03-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Davidmackguide.com had this one too.
I thought it was kind of funny and cool about how he says the cover is so weird.

http://monster-hospital.blogspot.com/2006/02/weekly-comic-pimp-kabuki-6.html

MACK!
03-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Review of Kabuki: The Alchemy #6
From 13 Minutes:
http://thirteenminutes.blogspot.com/2006/02/22206-reviews-contd.html
Kabuki #6 (Marvel/ICON): Just when I think I'm ready to forego single issue installments of David Mack's grand opus about identity, art, and culture, and wait for the occassional trade, he goes and does this. He drops some major knowledge that is timed to hit me just right in my own life. This book usually contains so many nuggets of information about personal style, life, perception, and point of view, that it has the ability to resonate strongly with an ever growing readership despite major time delays in between issues. This issue has a sequence that discusses rule breaking being a basic method for problem solving. The Scott Thorpe quote "rules are integrated patterns of thinking that we mistake for truth" was powerful. Mack goes on to explain that "rules are not necessarily bad things. They are like railroad tracks. If you want to go where the track goes, they are perfect. But if you want to find a solution that is not on the rail line... Not on the scheduled stops... The only way to get there is to leave the tracks." One quibble is that this issue had a heaping dose of critique on the war on terror and some oil dependency riffs that really felt out of place, so I downgraded to Grade A-.

While a GREAT and flattering review by any standard, I wanted to use this as an opportunity to clarify the mention of the reviewer’s only quibble.

I never mentioned the phrase “War on Terror”. The mention of the MC’s Free Energy Machine and mention of energy use was only mentioned when she is introducing herself in this issue and giving a bit of a re-cap of her history and why she was in control corps.
It was completely consistent with her history and the introduction of her in Metamorphosis, and why she was in control corps in the first place.

I did hear a few people mention something to the effect of this issue being “political”. But the mention of the outside world government and politics in this issue by MC and Akemi is just consistent with the beginning foundation of Kabuki in the first volume: Circle of Blood when that entire series took place in the political world, in which it dealt with the government manipulation of the media, propaganda, inside deals with criminal syndicates, media as assassins, media tools of the government. That was really the premise of the Noh.
The whole point was that the Noh was a metaphor for (and literally in the story) media as tool of the government, media as celebrity, media as character assassination to opponents, nationalism twisted.

That was the media/government/power world that began in the series, so when Kabuki hears news from the outside world from Akemi and MC who are involved in that, it is just consistent with that world and the history of their characters, and motivation of these characters.

Just a clarification.
Any feedback from the reviewer or readers is welcome.

GelfXIII
03-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Personally, I dont mind the injection of politics in something like Kabuki one little bit. It's a different thing in something like Spider-man, which is meant as a mass entertainment. But Kabuki is nothing if not thought provoking, and always has been. As you said above the original premise of COB was a social commentary on Gov't/media (and vise versa) manipulation. It seems to me that to not incorporate current world events would be more questionable.

OF course if the comentary was slanted to some horrible, right wing, pro-Bush slant, I might not feel the same way :lol:

MACK!
03-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Personally, I dont mind the injection of politics in something like Kabuki one little bit. It's a different thing in something like Spider-man, which is meant as a mass entertainment. But Kabuki is nothing if not thought provoking, and always has been. As you said above the original premise of COB was a social commentary on Gov't/media (and vise versa) manipulation. It seems to me that to not incorporate current world events would be more questionable.

OF course if the comentary was slanted to some horrible, right wing, pro-Bush slant, I might not feel the same way :lol:

The funny thing is that now that Kabuki is in the outside world again, and the Noh is referred to, it sounds so similar to what is happening in reality today that people can’t help but equate it to the current government media propaganda and Noh-like behavior.
But the truth is that this was the how the Noh was introduced in the first volume in 94-95. I can’t help it if the current world today, and especially media and government in US is very similar to how I imagined the order of the Noh and its media and TV propaganda in 94.
Back then, I thought I was taking the current situation and exaggerating it to make a point (although I felt at the time that the point was generally missed).
I admit it is weird that the current reality is now so exaggerated as well.

CraigM
03-04-2006, 08:26 PM
The funny thing is that now that Kabuki is in the outside world again, and the Noh is referred to, it sounds so similar to what is happening in reality today that people can’t help but equate it to the current government media propaganda and Noh-like behavior.
But the truth is that this was the how the Noh was introduced in the first volume in 94-95. I can’t help it if the current world today, and especially media and government in US is very similar to how I imagined the order of the Noh and its media and TV propaganda in 94.
Back then, I thought I was taking the current situation and exaggerating it to make a point (although I felt at the time that the point was generally missed).
I admit it is weird that the current reality is now so exaggerated as well.
It looks like the comics industry has their own Nostradamus ;-)

Criag

MACK!
03-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Possible spoilers below:

Wow David, you've done it yet again. Another breathtaking, awe inspiring issue of Kabuki. I don't know why I'm surprised. You've done it consistently with every Kabuki issue prior to this one. Each issue manages to connect in some way.

The words, the images all resonate so strongly. It's getting to the point now where it's almost scary. I was reading part six just dumbfounded cuz there were so many things in there that had been rolling around in my brain lately and then BAM! I see those things right there on the page. Of course executed far more superior than I ever could. But with each turn of the page I was like "yes I know exactly what Mack/Kabuki/Akemi/M.C. Square mean." Syncronicity. There's such a rush of adrenaline and creative juices flowing after digesting an issue of Kabuki. It connects, it motivates and evokes change.

I believe 100% without a doubt that The Alchemy is the most important comic book being published right now. Perhaps ever. You are doing your readers a tremendous service by passing along inspiration and wisdom. And I truly believe that these books will spark change in individuals across the globe. A change for the better. Your readers evolve with each new issue.

I started writing this post and deleted it two and a half times. Torn because it may seem too "kiss assy" but hell it's the truth and it's how I feel so I really don't care. I could go on and on about this book but all I really wanted to say was thank you. Thank you for continuing to do what you do and doing it so well. There are a few things in life that are just pure joy. Kabuki is one of them. I can't wait for the next issue.

Thank you again,

Mike B.

P.S. Have a blast this weekend in NYC. Hopefully next year you can make it down to MegaCon so I can see some of these pages in their original size and texture.

Thanks for the detailed response to the book. I really appreciate it.
I'm really glad you got so much out of it.
I try to put a lot of that into it, so it is very encouraging to me when someone gets that out of it.

DeadMike
03-06-2006, 06:48 AM
It looks like the comics industry has their own Nostradamus ;-)

Criag

Or should we say "Noh"stradamus. Yeah I think some people are making their own connections between what MC Square said and certain similarities in the Kabuki-verse to the present administration and current events. So they might be extrapolating more from it than is really there. We all take in everything and see the world through our own filters.

But I enjoy a little political food for thought as long as it doesn't come acrossed forced. And I don't think anything in this issue did.

MACK!
03-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Or should we say "Noh"stradamus. Yeah I think some people are making their own connections between what MC Square said and certain similarities in the Kabuki-verse to the present administration and current events. So they might be extrapolating more from it than is really there. We all take in everything and see the world through our own filters.

But I enjoy a little political food for thought as long as it doesn't come acrossed forced. And I don't think anything in this issue did.

I, as well, enjoy food for thought of all kinds in stories I read. Political or otherwise. The way it works, is that if it is part of the character's make-up or background or interests, it just comes into the story.
And certainly the premise of the NOH in the world of Kabuki (from the very first issue) is founded on political intrigue. Not to mention shadow governments, conspiracy, and media control/propoganda.

And that is quite fine if people read into or connect dots with current events.
After all, I had intended that from the very first issue as well. I was commenting on all of those real life aforementioned things in the context of the story from the very first issue of Kabuki in 94.

My point is that while correlations can be drawn by the reader to the outside world, it is part and parcel of the context of the story and even the history and motivation of the characters. You don't NEED to look outside the story for it to make sense.
And if you do look outside the story, I hope you do it with a broad view.
Let the story be a lens that gives you a fresh perspective on those things.
Something where you look beyond just what you hear and see on TV and the news today and consider the ramifications for the future.
After all, that was the point of turning up the dial on those things when I put them in the story in 94.
Turn the dial up on them just a bit, so you don't take them for granted and see what they really are through the exaggeration, or (maybe not even an exageration, just) the fresh view of things through the lens of government/media in another country insead of your own. And so you can see where they may lead.

That is usually what any good sci-fi story does. With 1984 being the giant in that respect.

MACK!
03-06-2006, 08:56 AM
You know, this reminds me of something really funny.
I was switching the dial on my radio sometime in the last year, and stopped at a station because the guy was talking about Big Brother and 1984.
It was a political show (that i don't normally listen to) talking about the government and state of the world, etc.
And the guy said something to the effect that "No, it is not Big Brother you have to worry about. Orwell got it wrong. It is not Big Brother which is this heavy handed totallitarian government looking over your shoulder that is the problem, it is Little Sister that is the problem. Little Sister is the sneaky subversive privately controlled media that is the bigger problem than Big Brother."

Which really got my attention. Because of course, "Little Sister" was the reference coined in Kabuki for the Noh media.

So I kept listening to the show and he went on and on talking about "Little Sister" is watching you, and continually reffering the the media as "Little Sister".

It was really, really bizarre.

That was one of several moments in the last five years, where it really hit me, really painted such a clear picture (even to the exact wording), that the world I wrote about in KABUKI: Circle of Blood in 1994 was here now.

babyok
03-07-2006, 09:14 AM
I love reading about the idea space, this issue in particular reminds me of why I enjoy Kabuki so much. Having recently finished a novel called "Torture the Artist" by Joey Goebel I am forced to see a connection between the book, Kabuki, the two authors and myself. If you haven't read the book you might want to check it out. It's about a company that hires a man to "manage"/torture a young boy so that his troubled life will lead him to create great art. The theory being that only tortured artists can create great art.

In my head I heard Kabuki being read to me by the spoken word poet, Saul Williams. I could also see the lines of connection between Alan Moore's Promethea, Kabuki and various other writers, artists, etc.

Thanks for another amazing issue David.

MACK!
03-07-2006, 11:01 AM
From Michael Peterson:

Kabuki: The Alchemy #6: "The Empiricist's New Clothes"... Aw, David. You had me at the title.

"Transmitting electrical energy through the natural mediums" indeed. I defy you to concoct a better description of what "The Alchemy" has been to date. A piece of sequential art that brings new legitimacy to the oft-used term "mixed media" (in an age of MULTImedia, it would almost seem archaic) in crafting its own metalanguage to deliver, in a sense, inspirational fragmentation grenades... the best art looks at art itself even as it causes us to look within ourselves.

From Wikipedia: "In the 19th century, as mainstream alchemy evolved into modern chemistry, its mystic and Hermetic aspects became the focus of a modern spiritual alchemy, where material manipulations are viewed as mere symbols of spiritual transformations." Akemi is a force that transcends what would appear to be her place within the concrete reality of oppressive, corrupt governments and media manipulation (there's that term again) in order to galvanize the slow-burning flames of artists around the world. "The war of art," she says at the end of the volume, and this has never been more true in our own world, as well as the fictional one that Mack portrays so vibrantly. With the advent of the latest net-borne generation, growing up in a world that has grown eerily close to the one Mack laid out back in "Circle of Blood" so long ago, art has swung back under the radar and serves equally to provide escape and to provoke political action.

(For more research fun, take a look at the "kappa," the Japanese mythical figure that Ukiko disguises herself as during her work at Nohland!)

Ukiko wonders again in this issue if Akemi really exists, or if the identity marked by that simply-drawn smiley face is just a superstructure, or a meme, that infects and provides transformation. In many ways, she is reacting from her own position as a woman who has lived behind and through masks, and struggles with it still. Because the answer to Akemi's identity really doesn't matter at all - if anything, it's both. The originator, the creator, is never as important as its creation, and "the Akemi energy," as Ukiko calls it, is bigger than any of them - but there is still the woman(?) whom Ukiko met face to face, the one with whom she shared "a kiss before dying."

In Alan Moore's "V for Vendetta," the most infamous scene is a familiar one to Kabuki readers. Evey Hammond is left to rot in a cell as they pump her for information; and a toilet paper message from a woman named Valerie, who loved her unconditionally without ever seeing her face, gives her the strength to survive. When the prison is revealed to be a fake, a lesson from V, they argue and V reveals that Valerie was real, but shows that the message, that hope and love, is beyond even the brave woman who died loving a cell mate she never met. The transformation that "Akemi" brings to each person is beyond any one person, but it does not negate the former Paper Tiger, the former Tigerlily, with whom Ukiko has bonded on a personal level.

(Alan Moore has also talked at length on the concept of "Idea Space" as mentioned in this issue, though from a different angle. Kabuki fans would definitely enjoy the recently collected "A Disease of Language," collecting interviews with Moore along with the mixed-media work of Eddie Campbell, collecting Moore's spoken-word pieces. It's probably the closest comic work, in style, to "Kabuki" itself.)

Akemi tells Ukiko that when they meet next issue, she will not show up "in the form that you are used to." Let the speculation begin: will she appear as the Noh agent she replaced? Will she validate the hints from "Metamorphosis" and appear as a man? Or will she appear as something - or someone - else entirely?

On a personal level, I was certainly happy to see one of my favorite supporting characters return this issue. Ukiko's new roommate is a great counterpoint, and the way their quests are so similar, despite the differences in their "art forms," makes for a great look into the creative process. After the previous issues and their prepping us to begin work, David now talks about how to KEEP working, and how to keep energy and ideas coming.

"The trick, of course, is to walk around accepted limitations." As always, Mack's opus does that with zeal.[/QUOTE]

MACK!
03-07-2006, 11:04 AM
I love reading about the idea space, this issue in particular reminds me of why I enjoy Kabuki so much. Having recently finished a novel called "Torture the Artist" by Joey Goebel I am forced to see a connection between the book, Kabuki, the two authors and myself. If you haven't read the book you might want to check it out. It's about a company that hires a man to "manage"/torture a young boy so that his troubled life will lead him to create great art. The theory being that only tortured artists can create great art.

In my head I heard Kabuki being read to me by the spoken word poet, Saul Williams. I could also see the lines of connection between Alan Moore's Promethea, Kabuki and various other writers, artists, etc.

Thanks for another amazing issue David.

Hey Brian!
Good to see you here!
Glad you are still reading Kabuki.
Thanks for the insightful feedback on the issue.

AvidFan
03-08-2006, 06:03 AM
just got the copies of #6 this morning, not read it yet, but as soon as I log off I'll hit it.

lok forward to Kabuki more than any comic in such a long time

cheers David!

andy

RosaleenWolf
03-09-2006, 04:08 AM
Thanks for posting my letter! I was not sure what letter was going to be put there and realized that I posted that a year ago or so. Lol well, I'm not in the nursing program anymore but I feel really honored to have my letter in that issue. Still in college and working only with a different major. I'm still loving the series! The story and the artwork! I cant seem to get enough of it!

MACK!
03-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Another overview review here:

http://remotepush.livejournal.com/157271.html

Welt
03-13-2006, 03:55 AM
Brilliant stuff, and packed with innovative visual ideas, as ever, but always able to find new angles and solutions.

One thing that bothers me a bit though, is that the past few issues have started to resemble self-help manuals a bit too much. Sure it can explained with the situation and changes kabuki/kappa is going through, and if those things are important pieces of D. Mack's introspection, and if those are the things fans want to read, then fine. I'm not saying there haven't been some great and true ideas, as in Metamorphosis, but somehow I feel that with fiction you could deliver those ideas through drama, maybe.

But Mack has his vision and his prosaic idea of comics form, I suppose.

Lazy_Metaphors
03-13-2006, 04:45 AM
You know, it's funny... one thing people have always said is that western comics aren't diverse enough. Sure, we've got sci-fi and fantasy... and noir, western, and biography... and the general fiction that usually just gets shelved under the all-purpose "literature"... and we've certainly got our fair share of metafiction, parody, and satire... and thanks to books like by Larry Gonick, Scott McCloud, and others, we've even got textbooks on a variety of subjects. But up until recently, we've had some empty checkboxes on the list.

Now, on Webcomics Nation's "Cooking With Anne" (http://www.webcomicsnation.com/surlyben/) (and in "Scott Pilgrim (http://www.scottpilgrim.com/)" as well) we're finally getting our cookbooks, albeit through a skewed perspective.

I don't think "The Alchemy" is becoming a polemic, because every scene also carries the weight of the background plot: What is Akemi planning? Will the Noh find Ukiko? And so on. But frankly, I think it's great we're getting a "self-help comic" that's both entertaining and that doesn't patronize.

who cares?
03-13-2006, 02:28 PM
i bought it (both covers, couldnt help myself :-P) and i shall post my thoughts on it after i have the patience to sit down and thoroughly digest it.....

HotRob
03-14-2006, 12:26 PM
One thing that bothers me a bit though, is that the past few issues have started to resemble self-help manuals a bit too much. Sure it can explained with the situation and changes kabuki/kappa is going through, and if those things are important pieces of D. Mack's introspection, and if those are the things fans want to read, then fine. I'm not saying there haven't been some great and true ideas, as in Metamorphosis, but somehow I feel that with fiction you could deliver those ideas through drama, maybe.

But Mack has his vision and his prosaic idea of comics form, I suppose.

I guess reading into the 'self-help' side of the story can be distracting from the 'chess move'-like action that Akemi has put into play by rescuing Kabuki and MC Square, and putting them together in the same house.

If you don't get too into the 'self-help' and pull into the story partway through the issue you will be left wondering just what Akemi is up to and what reaction their will be to her actions and what will happen when she shows up next issue.

I'm looking forward to some drama/action to abound through the last few Alchemy issues and even further forward to the Tigerlilly series.

R.

Lazy_Metaphors
03-14-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm looking forward to some drama/action to abound through the last few Alchemy issues and even further forward to the Tigerlilly series.

I've been on record as having long-awaited the confrontations bound to occur in the Tigerlily series, but this story has never been about action, even during the violence-soaked "Circle of Blood" storyline. They're about Kabuki's growth. There hasn't been much overt action in a long, long time. In Metamorphosis, it was usually off-panel or overly poeticized or otherwise broken up by structural design. It's the story of Ukiko's maturation that makes the book something other than the "bad girl" title that some people originally judged the book to be.

JKCarrier
03-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Another beautiful issue! I really like the notion that M.C. Square's high-tech energy machine and Ukiko's children's books are both equally important parts of Akemi's master plan. As if the end result of their work is almost irrelevant, it's the creative/transformative process itself that's the important thing.

And I had to laugh when M.C. Square busts out a couple of turntables and literally becomes an M.C. :eek:

I suppose this storyline does run the risk of becoming "Dr. Mack's Guide To Life" (something that both Cerebus and Promethea were accused of -- not bad company to be in!). But I have the feeling that it won't be quite that simple. Akemi is still such an enigma, and the cynic in me wonders if she's really 100% altruistic in her goals. Taking down the Noh seems like it might be as much of a personal vendetta as it is a "for the good of society" thing. We shall see, I guess!

gwyllgi
03-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Mack, I just wanted to drop a note to tell you that #6 was a gorgeous and thoughtful issue. I thoroughly enjoyed the conversations between MC and Kabuki. You are such an inspiration to my own thought processes. I have never read such an intelligent and delightful comic; there's plenty of great wit and sharp writing to be found with other authors, for sure, and I love them, but Kabuki is such a rare treasure that I don't even mind the wait between issues... I just appreciate them for the works of art they are.

The comments on creativity and overthrowing the order of things especially were wonderful. It's so nice to see an artist in line with personal beliefs of mine.

Keep up the fabulous work, sir.

MACK!
03-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Mack, I just wanted to drop a note to tell you that #6 was a gorgeous and thoughtful issue. I thoroughly enjoyed the conversations between MC and Kabuki. You are such an inspiration to my own thought processes. I have never read such an intelligent and delightful comic; there's plenty of great wit and sharp writing to be found with other authors, for sure, and I love them, but Kabuki is such a rare treasure that I don't even mind the wait between issues... I just appreciate them for the works of art they are.

The comments on creativity and overthrowing the order of things especially were wonderful. It's so nice to see an artist in line with personal beliefs of mine.

Keep up the fabulous work, sir.

Thanks for the feedback on the book.
I appreciate it.
:)

I think DMG has a link to another review here:

http://davidmackguide.com/news/2006/03/27.shtml

tdaniel
03-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Mr. Mack -

Your book is a zero point energy machine.

I bought one - then all six of the current volume immediately following. My wife loves it, my 7 year old daughter said, "It's not like any comic book I've seen - it's beautiful". What else need be said?

Oh, I know - credit to Oeming, as he cited you as an influence so I had to pick up Kabuki for the first time ever.

It inspired me.

Thank you -
Tim

MACK!
03-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Mr. Mack -

Your book is a zero point energy machine.

I bought one - then all six of the current volume immediately following. My wife loves it, my 7 year old daughter said, "It's not like any comic book I've seen - it's beautiful". What else need be said?

Oh, I know - credit to Oeming, as he cited you as an influence so I had to pick up Kabuki for the first time ever.

It inspired me.

Thank you -
Tim

Hi Tim,
I can't ask for a better response than that!
I'm really glad you took the innitiative to try it out (and big props to Oeming).
And glad to hear you found the other issues.
For more info on the other volumes, check out davidmackguide.com which is pretty extensive site of my work.

Best!

gwyllgi
03-31-2006, 05:46 PM
Another friend of mine just finished reading Dreams. I told her about the newest issue of the Alchemy and she said she could hardly wait the length of time it'd take to bridge the gap in issues.

She said Dreams was the most beautiful work of art she'd ever seen, comic or no, and was amazed that I'd met you in person.

She'll die over The Alchemy I am sure.

PeteL
04-03-2006, 04:31 AM
I'd like to post a review in the thread that Mack started for #6, but my Monday morning brain will not allow for anything past quick sentences right now.

I read issue #6 of Kabuki yesterday and found myself incredibly inspired. It was such a wonderful read. It's the second issue I've actually read of the book-but I'm going to look into past issues and arcs now.

I really enjoyed how it discussed creative thinking. And the art was amazing also. A great read.

HotRob
04-04-2006, 12:11 PM
I've been on record as having long-awaited the confrontations bound to occur in the Tigerlily series, but this story has never been about action, even during the violence-soaked "Circle of Blood" storyline. They're about Kabuki's growth. There hasn't been much overt action in a long, long time. In Metamorphosis, it was usually off-panel or overly poeticized or otherwise broken up by structural design. It's the story of Ukiko's maturation that makes the book something other than the "bad girl" title that some people originally judged the book to be.

I agree the with you that Kabuki is always about the growth of Ukiko from one storyline to the next but the action i was referring to (ala Scarab series) also relates to confrontation as well a sword/fist fighting. I do enjoy a good throw-down now and again as the philosophy stuff can really twist your brain with new perceptions. So even though the violence soaked 'Circle of Blood' is indeed about growth, the action is something i really enjoyed, and i want to see some more.

I've never seen Kabuki as a 'bad girl' book and i can't see how people would think of it that way.

AvidFan
04-08-2006, 01:56 PM
arrrrgh! that's twice now I've pressed the wrong button on this damn computer and lost what I was typing!

AvidFan
04-08-2006, 02:24 PM
where was I?
oh yeah, twisting your mind

well this issue certainly does that
I recall David Mack saying before the 1st issue of The Alchemy that it was going to be a guide to life, so no complaints from as far as what's happened so far.

I have to agree with DeadMike that there is something speacial happening here, and I mean in terms of comic book history, every page has something on it in terms of character, development, art, the author the reader...

and I'll have to come back to trying to remember just what I'd typed the previous two attemps

the most mind twisting bit is this link below, it's the centre pages of a cd booklet that I handed in at college at the end of January, spooky!?!

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/31534898/

what you're talking about David is very subversive, not what your's or my goverments want to hear in their time of fear control. I love it

andy

AvidFan
04-10-2006, 12:04 PM
don't ya just love synchronisity?

2006 chinese year of the dog
"The year of the dog begins on the new moon of january 29th 2006. (Chinese new year begins on the second new moon after winter solstice.) Dog year is a time of fairness and equality. Controversial issues are given their due, revolutions are successful, politics are liberal, and social oppression is opposed. Integrity and honesty are the values that lead to success under Dog's watchful and just influence"

1.4 billion people can't be wrong?

what kind of revolution should we instigate? non violence against leaders prepared to quell uprisings with heavy oppression and murder? (nuclear weapons?) where do you stop? politicians? religions? them next door? there's about 3 billion people too many on the planet as there is, so why not continue and solve some real problems?

your friendly neighbourhood
AF.

AvidFan
04-10-2006, 01:38 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4895164.stm

yay 200 posts!
AvidFan

Eric Williams
04-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Very interesting finds, AF!
Yeah, I've been noticing quite a bit of synchronocity.

See:
1. Last page of Metamorphosis #1
2. Last page of The Alchemy #1
3. Page 4 of The Alchemy #6

AvidFan
04-12-2006, 06:29 AM
I'm beginning to think that issue #6 is the best Mack! work I've read
and that this series is so meticulously planned out that peoples concerns about action and artistic style are surely to be eased because it feeling like something ouutstanding in comicbook history

it certainly gives me a new light and perspective on reading Metamorphosis

off to check out my back issues

AF.

jactinglim
04-12-2006, 08:19 AM
I'll get the latest issues after I make sure I haven't missed the fourth issue for good T_T

MACK!
04-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Very interesting finds, AF!
Yeah, I've been noticing quite a bit of synchronocity.

See:
1. Last page of Metamorphosis #1
2. Last page of The Alchemy #1
3. Page 4 of The Alchemy #6

Glad you noticed that :)

Not many people have mentioned it.

Lazy_Metaphors
04-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Glad you noticed that :)

Not many people have mentioned it.

I thought it was obvious! :mistrust: :lol:

AvidFan
04-13-2006, 01:08 AM
:lol:

Eric Williams
04-13-2006, 05:21 PM
(re-reading Metamorphosis) I also thought it was interesting that Kabuki's nurse had no idea who Akemi was in issue 1.

MACK!
05-06-2006, 10:06 PM
(re-reading Metamorphosis) I also thought it was interesting that Kabuki's nurse had no idea who Akemi was in issue 1.

Or she was bluffing

antithesis
05-09-2006, 10:38 AM
i finally got a hold of all the issues of the alchemy and i'll post my thoughts a little later.

something that caught my eye though.. did we see snapdragon in issue 4?

MACK!
06-06-2006, 12:43 AM
i finally got a hold of all the issues of the alchemy and i'll post my thoughts a little later.

something that caught my eye though.. did we see snapdragon in issue 4?

Looking forward to it.
There have been some other guesses as to who we saw on the plane in #4.
Mostly the guess of Tigerlily.

And a sighting of Yukio on the train in #1.