PDA

View Full Version : New Jedi Order

niceguyeddie
02-21-2006, 07:21 PM
It's been a while since this series of books ended but I just kept forgetting to post about it, so now I'm asking...

has anyone else read the series???

Here's the wikipedia plot thingamajig:

The New Jedi Order, also known as New Jedi Order, or by its acronym, NJO, is a series of 27 science fiction stories set in the Star Wars Expanded Universe galaxy 25-30 years ABY. Its primary plotline involves an invasion of the galaxy by the Yuuzhan Vong and the after effects, but over the series a great many changes occur in the lives of characters on both sides of the conflict.

http://jedijenn0.tripod.com/sw/newjediorder800.jpg

It's pretty fucking sweet. There were some parts where it got fairly political where it was kinda weak, but overall it was frigging crazy.
The Yuuzhan Vong were pretty pretty hard core and there were some crazy fucking things going on that I was surprised that they allowed.

I have a large library of expanded universe SW novels, but apart from Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trillogy and that other duology there hasn't been much that's gotten hard core, at least like this series did.

The deaths in the series were frigging crazy. I won't mention who died, but that first big one... that shit got me teary eyed.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else's read this series, and if not but you've read other expanded universe books, let's share. I've read some but I've always stayed away from the X-Fighter series.

I also finished the first book of the Dark Nest trillogy that came out last year or something and I'm on the second book with the last part in my library waiting to be picked up, but I just don't have the time.

Anyways, speak up if you're even interested.

ps.
Oh, and that fucking cameo towards the end of the series... that was fucking SWEET. I had actually wondered what would happen if that person showed up.

Gunter
02-21-2006, 07:22 PM
I've only read the first book in the series. The one with the really big death.

I've got all the others, I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

niceguyeddie
02-21-2006, 07:29 PM
I've only read the first book in the series. The one with the really big death.

I've got all the others, I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

Vector Prime??
Dude, there's 27 books. Are you EVER going to finish them?

Anyways, I fucking loved Star by Star. That shit was awesome.

NickT
02-21-2006, 07:33 PM
I read them all. Some good, some bad. The New Trilogy I didn't bother with, seemed like more of the same.

After that trilogy, they jump in time again. How dumb is that? That means that post NJO, they have gone 10 years forward, with only one trilogy in that time. And did they create new characters? Nope, just used the same ones. Bantam created a wide universe. The NJO used the wide Universe. Now for the next series the wide Universe is way too old, and they have few developed characters under the age of 55. Fuck, even the Solo kids are over 30!

Gunter
02-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Vector Prime??
Dude, there's 27 books. Are you EVER going to finish them?

Anyways, I fucking loved Star by Star. That shit was awesome.

Some day. I've got close to 300 books that I've bought and haven't read yet.

It's an unhealthy obsession.

Yossarian
02-21-2006, 07:40 PM
I would like to point out that Zahn has just come out w/ a prequel to the Heir to the Empire Trilogy called "Outbound Flight". I just picked it up the other day, so I can't really tell you much other than that.

niceguyeddie
02-21-2006, 07:46 PM
I read them all. Some good, some bad. The New Trilogy I didn't bother with, seemed like more of the same.

After that trilogy, they jump in time again. How dumb is that? That means that post NJO, they have gone 10 years forward, with only one trilogy in that time. And did they create new characters? Nope, just used the same ones. Bantam created a wide universe. The NJO used the wide Universe. Now for the next series the wide Universe is way too old, and they have few developed characters under the age of 55. Fuck, even the Solo kids are over 30!

The Dark Nest trilogy's like 5 years after New Jedi Order.
NJO is 25 to 30 after A New Hope and DNT is 35 after ANH.

At least the writers are trying to keep the characters in a more reaslistic sense of real time. Luke, Mara, Han, Leia and the kids are aging.
Look at fucking Peter Parker.

FedEx Fanboy
02-21-2006, 08:07 PM

Yea. There were some really good New Jedi Order books, decent ones and really shitty ones...

Overall I think they stretched the series out too much with too many writers. By the last book I was more than ready for the series to be done with and when I was it was kinda a let down.

wh park
02-21-2006, 08:29 PM
It's been a while since this series of books ended but I just kept forgetting to post about it, so now I'm asking...

has anyone else read the series???

Here's the wikipedia plot thingamajig:

http://jedijenn0.tripod.com/sw/newjediorder800.jpg

It's pretty fucking sweet. There were some parts where it got fairly political where it was kinda weak, but overall it was frigging crazy.
The Yuuzhan Vong were pretty pretty hard core and there were some crazy fucking things going on that I was surprised that they allowed.

I have a large library of expanded universe SW novels, but apart from Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trillogy and that other duology there hasn't been much that's gotten hard core, at least like this series did.

The deaths in the series were frigging crazy. I won't mention who died, but that first big one... that shit got me teary eyed.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else's read this series, and if not but you've read other expanded universe books, let's share. I've read some but I've always stayed away from the X-Fighter series.

I also finished the first book of the Dark Nest trillogy that came out last year or something and I'm on the second book with the last part in my library waiting to be picked up, but I just don't have the time.

Anyways, speak up if you're even interested.

ps.
Oh, and that fucking cameo towards the end of the series... that was fucking SWEET. I had actually wondered what would happen if that person showed up.

Spoil the cameo for me, I can't read 27 fucking books (PM me if you have to.)

NickT
02-21-2006, 08:32 PM
The Dark Nest trilogy's like 5 years after New Jedi Order.
NJO is 25 to 30 after A New Hope and DNT is 35 after ANH.
And the one after is 40 after ANH.

At least the writers are trying to keep the characters in a more reaslistic sense of real time. Luke, Mara, Han, Leia and the kids are aging.
Look at fucking Peter Parker.
So? Why is that good? Great, in 22 books they have developed about 5 characters that Bantam or the movies didn't give them. Next series comes around, they still have the same characters. And watch as those people still do everything.

TheKraken
02-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Spoil the cameo for me, I can't read 27 fucking books (PM me if you have to.)

Spoil me, too. I tried to read the first book, but it just didn't hold my interest. Unstoppable Force-proof aliens from "somewhere else" isn't terribly Star Wars to me...

NickT
02-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Boba Fett.

TheKraken
02-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Boba Fett.

There's nothing cool about that... :lol: I should have known...

At least it wasn't Man of Miracles, I guess...

NickT
02-21-2006, 08:59 PM
There's nothing cool about that... :lol: I should have known...

At least it wasn't Man of Miracles, I guess...
I didn't like it because there was a great Last story for him in an old Tales anthology book.

wh park
02-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Boba Fett.

How does that happen?

Is it like in the Marvel comic where he gets spit out by the Sarlac?

TheKraken
02-21-2006, 09:03 PM
How does that happen?
Is it like in the Marvel comic where he gets spit out by the Sarlac?

He was spit out by the Sarlaac in the Dark Horse series, too. In the official timeline, he reappeared in Dark Empire, which, I think, was 6 years after Return of the Jedi. Could be wrong, tho'.

TheKraken
02-21-2006, 09:04 PM
I didn't like it because there was a great Last story for him in an old Tales anthology book.

Ah, but if you'll recall, that story also told his secret origin, which was about as far from what was eventually depicted in the movies as it could get. It was pretty neat, tho'.