PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King: Dark Tower Series

The-Last-Man
02-21-2006, 08:25 AM
So, with Stephen Kings marvel book running late now, i think i'm gonna buy the books and read up before the mini hits.

Does anybody know how many volumes there are? Also, names would be awesome!

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
02-21-2006, 08:26 AM
My friend keeps telling me about this series.

It sounds like a fucking trip.

mattbrand
02-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Its a great series. The first 2 books are amazing, then it starts to dwindle a bit in my opinion.

http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/flash_index.html

RODGER
02-21-2006, 08:30 AM
i read the first 2 books.
good stuff

ok...i added nothing...i stink

SteveZegers
02-21-2006, 08:32 AM
I think there are 7. My favorite was "Wizards and Glass" which I think was 4.

Brendan
02-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Its a great series. The first 2 books are amazing, then it starts to dwindle a bit in my opinion.

http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/flash_index.html

The series goes downhill fast after the first two books. The final two books are just outright silly in parts. Dark Tower was a good idea gone bad.

mattbrand
02-21-2006, 08:42 AM
The series goes downhill fast after the first two books. The final two books are just outright silly in parts. Dark Tower was a good idea gone bad.

Really? Crap.

I'm only on book 5, so I was hoping for a great ending in Book 7. Book 3 The Waste Lands was OK. Book 4 Wizard and Glass got kinda hokey. So far Book 5 has been decent, but nothing like the first 2.

Cth
02-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Yes, there's 7 of them.

There are nods throughout most of his books as well.

Cth
02-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Really? Crap.

I'm only on book 5, so I was hoping for a great ending in Book 7. Book 3 The Waste Lands was OK. Book 4 Wizard and Glass got kinda hokey. So far Book 5 has been decent, but nothing like the first 2.

I completely disagree, but that's just me.

Is 4 the "romance" one?

mattbrand
02-21-2006, 08:46 AM
I completely disagree, but that's just me.

Is 4 the "romance" one?

Completely disagree with my summation, or with the fact that the ending is lackluster?

And yeah, I think 4 is the romancey one.

McAfee
02-21-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm in the homestretch of Book 6--Susannah's Song--and he definitely tends to dawdle in some areas, but it is sort of fascinating to read this series. It's kind of like the evolution of a career put into perspective.

Book 2 is my favorite followed by 4, 3, 1, then 5. With about 100 pages to go, 6 would probably go right in the middle of those between 3 and 1.

Cth
02-21-2006, 08:53 AM
The going downhill after 2 part.

The first two were set up, so I can see the reasoning since most of the players are in place by then.

I looked on it more as a metafiction trip through Stephen King's consciousness than King's Lord of the Rings. I say this, because of all the connections to his other works. If it was more standalone, I could see reading it as an epic gunslinger story.

But as he says, there are other worlds than these..

It works on that level, but too many people had expectations about how the series should end.

By weird coincidence, you can ask Winterrose, I predicted the ending back around 1990. So you can guess I was happy with how it ended :D

I did have one thing I wish I had seen, but oh well :)

RegularJoe
02-21-2006, 08:56 AM
book 1 - the gunslinger
book 2 - drawing of the three
book 3 - the wastelands
book 4 - wizard and glass
book 5 - wolves of the calla
book 6 - song of sussanah
book 7 - the dark tower

i've read up through 5. 5 drags a bit, four is odd in that it (so far) is nothing back extended back story that doesn't feel totally relevant, the first three are tight and solid. i'm taking a breather before delving into six then another breather then head-first into 7.

Gunter
02-21-2006, 08:58 AM
I enjoyed them all, I think Wizard and Glass was my favorite.

My only complaint was that the end of Wolves of the Calla got really silly.

mattbrand
02-21-2006, 08:58 AM
The going downhill after 2 part.

The first two were set up, so I can see the reasoning since most of the players are in place by then.

I looked on it more as a metafiction trip through Stephen King's consciousness than King's Lord of the Rings. I say this, because of all the connections to his other works. If it was more standalone, I could see reading it as an epic gunslinger story.

But as he says, there are other worlds than these..

It works on that level, but too many people had expectations about how the series should end.

By weird coincidence, you can ask Winterrose, I predicted the ending back around 1990. So you can guess I was happy with how it ended :D

I did have one thing I wish I had seen, but oh well :)

Well I said that they started to dwindle after the first 2, not go downhill. I did enjoy 3 and 4...just not as much as the first 2. Its not really the course of actions either. I think King lost some of his grittiness over time, which really lent well to how this story was written.

And I do love the blending of worlds, especially having read the Stand and a couple of his others that had a bit of crossover.

I'll still finish it...I just think if I was enjoying the 5th as much as I loved the 1st or 2nd, I'd be done with the whole series by now.

I

Cth
02-21-2006, 09:03 AM
I was refering to Brendan's post :)

The problem is that they took so long to write, which only caused fans to speculate even further.

Kinda like Black Cat/Secret War, etc.. if something takes that long, people have already done the story over and over in their minds a thousand times and you can rarely live up to it or exceed expectations.

I'll be honest, I still have to finish DT VII though.. the romance novel was pretty indulgent and was the toughest for me to get through.

SteveZegers
02-21-2006, 09:03 AM
4 is the flashback. I liked seeing the gunslinger in his prime.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
02-21-2006, 09:04 AM
When I asked my friend what was so good about these books, he told me one thing...

... an army of Doctor Dooms om Motorcycles brandishing lightsabres.

:confused:

Was he fucking with me on that one?

Shane W
02-21-2006, 09:05 AM
I can sum up the first two books for you real quick. A man is chasing another man, he doesn't quite see him yet.

You can now start book 3 without missing anything.

Cth
02-21-2006, 09:06 AM
When I asked my friend what was so good about these books, he told me one thing...

Not really..

He did a Seven Samurai homage and had the invaders wearing Dr. Doom masks, but were something else underneath. I seem to remember the lightsabre too, although I dont remember if it was explicitly stated as such.

McAfee
02-21-2006, 09:06 AM

No...not really. That's pretty accurate. There's also a little Quidditch apperatus. :D

Doug
02-21-2006, 09:08 AM
It is definately worth reading. I read them all last year, and I liked the ending. It felt like the right ending, to me anyway.

Drawing of Three was my favorite book of the series, but I liked them all for the most part.

I would also recommend reading:
Salem's Lot (a main character from this book joins the Ka-Tet)
The Stand (a villian from this book has an important role in the Dark Tower)
Hearts in Atlantis (a main character from one of the stories plays an important role in Book 7)
Insomnia (another person from this book plays an important role in the series)

I only read the main 7 and Salem's Lot and The Stand (both of those back when I was in highschool, so it was some time before I read the Tower books). I was a little confused as to who some of the characters were in the last books, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the ending.

McAfee
02-21-2006, 09:09 AM
I can sum up the first two books for you real quick. A man is chasing another man, he doesn't quite see him yet.

You can now start book 3 without missing anything.

You're going to confuse the hell out of people wondering who Eddie and Susannah are and what all the hubbub about Jake is. And the one man caught the other! :x

artimoff
02-21-2006, 09:11 AM
All 7 books kicked ass. Well worth reading twice.

Cth
02-21-2006, 09:14 AM
I wish IT had more connections, but IT stands well on its own :)

It also introduced King's metaphysical beings from beyond :D

The-Last-Man
02-21-2006, 10:08 AM
On the whole, it sounds good. Im gonna check amazon for the books soon.

Thanks for the info guys...

Tim Simmons
02-21-2006, 10:28 AM
It is definately worth reading. I read them all last year, and I liked the ending. It felt like the right ending, to me anyway.

Drawing of Three was my favorite book of the series, but I liked them all for the most part.

I would also recommend reading:
Salem's Lot (a main character from this book joins the Ka-Tet)
The Stand (a villian from this book has an important role in the Dark Tower)
Hearts in Atlantis (a main character from one of the stories plays an important role in Book 7)
Insomnia (another person from this book plays an important role in the series)

I only read the main 7 and Salem's Lot and The Stand (both of those back when I was in highschool, so it was some time before I read the Tower books). I was a little confused as to who some of the characters were in the last books, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the ending.

I think you can get away w/ not reading Salem's Lot, if you have an overall knowledge of the story (ie: seen the movie, or know what it's basically about)-
To a degree, I don't think the Stand is required reading either- there's nothing about Flagg that you HAVE to know in order to read DT. That said, I still would recommend reading it, since it's damn good.
I didn't read Insomnia, thus the final act of DT wasn't quite as "Pay-off"-y for me- but, I don't think I missed anything.
And yeah, Hearts in Atlantis' first story (Ted Branugan- or Anthony Hopkins) is fairly important, as is the short story "Everything's eventual" in the short story collection of the same name.
While you've got Everything's Event. open, I'd recommend the short story 1313, and you might as well read the Gunslinger one.

Tim Simmons
02-21-2006, 10:29 AM
I think you can get away w/ not reading Salem's Lot, if you have an overall knowledge of the story (ie: seen the movie, or know what it's basically about)-
To a degree, I don't think the Stand is required reading either- there's nothing about Flagg that you HAVE to know in order to read DT. That said, I still would recommend reading it, since it's damn good.
I didn't read Insomnia, thus the final act of DT wasn't quite as "Pay-off"-y for me- but, I don't think I missed anything.
And yeah, Hearts in Atlantis' first story (Ted Branugan- or Anthony Hopkins) is fairly important, as is the short story "Everything's eventual" in the short story collection of the same name.
While you've got Everything's Event. open, I'd recommend the short story 1313, and you might as well read the Gunslinger one.

Oh, all of the back story/other novels need not be read until after book 4...

Kensington
02-21-2006, 11:18 AM
So, with Stephen Kings marvel book running late now, i think i'm gonna buy the books and read up before the mini hits.

Does anybody know how many volumes there are? Also, names would be awesome!This should clear everything up:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/LordKensington/roadmap.png
All clear now? :-?
Seriously, it actually is clear: Read the brown-boxed books if you want the core story. If you want to experience all of the extra book connections, read every book pointing toward a brown box before you read the brown boxed book itself.

In other words, start with "The Gunslinger" and continue with "Bag of Bones." The, before you read "The Drawing of the Three," read "Eyes of the Dragon,"

Or you can just read "The Gunslinger" directly followed by "the Drawing of the Three"

Tim Simmons
02-21-2006, 11:42 AM
This should clear everything up:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/LordKensington/roadmap.png
All clear now? :-?
Seriously, it actually is clear: Read the brown-boxed books if you want the core story. If you want to experience all of the extra book connections, read every book pointing toward a brown box before you read the brown boxed book itself.

In other words, start with "The Gunslinger" and continue with "Bag of Bones." The, before you read "The Drawing of the Three," read "Eyes of the Dragon,"

Or you can just read "The Gunslinger" directly followed by "the Drawing of the Three"

What's the Skeleton Crew/WatG connection?

Gunslinger/Bag of Bones? That's pretty weak, the only connection I can recall is that the whole "19" thing started up in Bag of Bones...
Ye

Kensington
02-21-2006, 11:45 AM
What's the Skeleton Crew/WatG connection?I don't know. I'm only up to "Bag of Bones" myself.

Gunslinger/Bag of Bones? That's pretty weak...Well, dude, none of this is mandatory. That chart, which isn't mine, by the way, comprehensively lists *all* the connections, big and small.

bstie1198
02-21-2006, 12:41 PM
What's the Skeleton Crew/WatG connection?

The Mist is the officially DT related story, and most people are assuming it's a thinny...