PDA

View Full Version : Alan Moore's Swamp Thing

Sir Erudite Gav
02-17-2006, 04:39 AM
I've recently started reading this and have finished the second trade so far.

Really enjoying it so far, it's written and reads very well. I like the complete change in the set up from the beginning of his run. That Swamp Thing wasn't a man who's a plant but a plant who's a man, if you follow me.

I didn't realise this was early on in his "US comics" run and was still relatively unknown outside of the UK at this time.

Really must read that V For Vendetta trade I've had for a while too. :?

JABSEN
02-17-2006, 04:46 AM
I have to pick these up

Dwight L. MacPherson
02-17-2006, 04:47 AM
Ah-- my favorite run in comic books.
I have every original issue of Moore's run. :)

changingshades
02-17-2006, 04:52 AM
yeah it is awesome

I think it's the 4th trade that has my favorite story

with the tubers

Sir Erudite Gav
02-17-2006, 04:58 AM
One of my favo(u)rite stories so far is "Pog" (#32 I think) which is ironic because Swamp Thing is hardly in it.

Again it's so well written, especially the alien speech.

Ziolko
02-17-2006, 05:05 AM
I still think The Anatomy Lesson is one of the best written stories in comic books. Moore's run on Swamp Thing really is the best and set the precedent for pretty much every Vertigo book, including Sandman.

Joshzilla
02-17-2006, 05:06 AM
One of my favo(u)rite stories so far is "Pog" (#32 I think) which is ironic because Swamp Thing is hardly in it.

I'm the opposite. I LOVE Moore's run, but "Pog" made me want to burn the book. It just annoyed me and didn't feel like it really belonged with the rest of the series. For what it was trying say, I preferred the Wile E. Coyote issue of Animal Man.

nihilance
02-17-2006, 05:11 AM
I'm the opposite. I LOVE Moore's run, but "Pog" made me want to burn the book. It just annoyed me and didn't feel like it really belonged with the rest of the series. For what it was trying say, I preferred the Wile E. Coyote issue of Animal Man.
Agreed. But I never really cared for Pogo period so that might have something to do with it.

It would be interesting if DC published an Essential style trade of Moore's Swamp Thing. At one point they were printing B&W reprints but I don't believe they completed his run. I find when reading the trades that that the 80's coloring really does a disservice to the actual artwork in a lot of the book.

Garth
02-17-2006, 05:12 AM
I have read the first trade and enjoyed it greatly. Just haven't gotten around to reading the rest. I liked how there was really a sense of horror which few other comics have managed to capture.

RebootedCorpse
02-17-2006, 05:18 AM
You lucky bastard. Getting to enjoy these comics for the first time, now.

Joshzilla
02-17-2006, 05:19 AM
Agreed. But I never really cared for Pogo period so that might have something to do with it.

It would be interesting if DC published an Essential style trade of Moore's Swamp Thing. At one point they were printing B&W reprints but I don't believe they completed his run. I find when reading the trades that that the 80's coloring really does a disservice to the actual artwork in a lot of the book.

Yeah, I have some of the reprints, but I really never saw any besides the Foronic Man story. And I totally agree on the coloring. Totleben and Bissette are AMAZING on this book. I've got a kickass b&w print of Swamp Thing by them.

Dwight L. MacPherson
02-17-2006, 05:24 AM

Yeah-- seriously!!

Sir Erudite Gav
02-17-2006, 05:28 AM

I've actually been getting a lend of the books so far, but if the person doesn't get the next one soon I'll have to buy it myself!

TIP
02-17-2006, 05:45 AM

Man...what a great issue. Lovely homage to Walt Kelly's POGO.

T

Artie Pink
02-17-2006, 05:50 AM
Hey! Great stuff! What a fun ride yer in for, man. Swampy & Abbey have one of the great comic romances, eh? And God bless John Totleben!

Don't miss the Swamp Thing "team-up" with Superman by Moore in DC Comics Presents #85 (or the Across The Universe trade).

Ahhhhh... back issues. It's been a while since I've had a big project to complete. I envy you, Gav!

TIP
02-17-2006, 06:02 AM
Ahhhhh... back issues. It's been a while since I've had a big project to complete. I envy you, Gav!

You are the King of Back Issues, man.

T

Taki Soma
02-17-2006, 06:04 AM
someday, I'd love to read these trades.

how many are there?

JABSEN
02-17-2006, 06:06 AM
You are the King of Back Issues, man.

TBack Issues Man has no king:-x

Sir Erudite Gav
02-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Don't miss the Swamp Thing "team-up" with Superman by Moore in DC Comics Presents #85 (or the Across The Universe trade).

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it, they've that trade in the comic shop in town.

I remember reading a Batman/Swamp Thing reprint I good few years ago, I've a feeling Moore wrote it but the first few pages were missing.

RebootedCorpse
02-17-2006, 06:07 AM
someday, I'd love to read these trades.

how many are there?
WHAT?!? How can you have not read these? Go get the first couple, you don't need to read the entire run to enjoy it.

TIP
02-17-2006, 06:08 AM
Back Issues Man has no king:-x

Come and see the violence inherent in the system!!!

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!!!

T

Taki Soma
02-17-2006, 06:09 AM
WHAT?!? How can you have not read these? Go get the first couple, you don't need to read the entire run to enjoy it.
there are lots of things I haven't read yet, and lots of things I've read.

just tell me how many trades

RebootedCorpse
02-17-2006, 06:14 AM
there are lots of things I haven't read yet, and lots of things I've read.

just tell me how many trades
Six, I believe. This run is a turning point in comics history. They really established the modern era of American comics.

nihilance
02-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Six, I believe. This run is a turning point in comics history. They really established the modern era of American comics.
And paved the way for the Vertigo line. Moore's Swamp Thing, Morrison's Animal Man and Morrison's Doom Patrol have all been retroactively annoited as Vertigo books.

Joshzilla
02-17-2006, 06:40 AM
And paved the way for the Vertigo line. Moore's Swamp Thing, Morrison's Animal Man and Morrison's Doom Patrol have all been retroactively annoited as Vertigo books.

And they all kick my ass with their wanton goodness.

Taki Soma
02-17-2006, 06:44 AM
thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Ziolko
02-17-2006, 06:44 AM
Delano's Hellblazer was pre-Vertigo as well, wasn't it? That was good stuff, too. Original Sins is a great TPB.

Balthazar
02-17-2006, 07:24 AM
The Black Soil ... is rich in foul decay ... yet glorious life springs from it ... But however dazzling ... the flourishes of life ... in the end ... all decay ... to the same black humus ... perhaps ... perhaps evil .. is the humus ... formed by virtue's decay ... and perhaps ... perhaps it is from ... that dark, sinister loam ... that virtue grows strongest?

One of my favorite passages from a comic ever.

Sir Erudite Gav
02-17-2006, 07:25 AM

Animal Man intrigues me, if only because of Joshzilla's post above, but then it's been one of been meaning to look at for a while.

TIP
02-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Animal Man intrigues me, if only because of Joshzilla's post above, but then it's been one of been meaning to look at for a while.

Morrison's ANIMAL MAN is damn good stuff.

T

JABSEN
02-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Morrison's ANIMAL MAN is damn good stuff.

TWord.

You guys cost me a lot of money:mad: . I think I'm gonna end up pickihng all these up

J. R. Scherer
02-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Moore's Swamp Thing is definitely one of THE great runs. Some folks didn't care for the moments that it interacts with the rest of the DCU, but I really enjoyed those, particularly when Lex Luthor shows up.

I personally didn't care for Morrison's Animal Man one iota. But then, the only story I've read where the 4th wall is broken that I thought really worked was in Moore's Promethea. Hated it in Bendis' Alias as well.

Joshzilla
02-17-2006, 07:48 AM
I personally didn't care for Morrison's Animal Man one iota. But then, the only story I've read where the 4th wall is broken that I thought really worked was in Moore's Promethea. Hated it in Bendis' Alias as well.

Just curious. What didn't you like about Animal Man?

J. R. Scherer
02-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Just curious. What didn't you like about Animal Man?
Um, I just said.

Mainly, I don't find it especially clever or entertaining for a writer to remind me that I'm reading a comic book. I already fucking know that. It's right in front of me. I'm holding it in my hands.

nihilance
02-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Um, I just said.

Mainly, I don't find it especially clever or entertaining for a writer to remind me that I'm reading a comic book. I already fucking know that. It's right in front of me. I'm holding it in my hands.
You only mentioned the breaking the 4th wall thing. There was more to the 26 issues than that.

TIP
02-17-2006, 07:52 AM

Another series of Fourth-Wall-Breakages can be found in:

SPOILERS FOR THOSE THAT DISLIKE SPOILAGE

Cerebus. The various interactions with Dave--Minds and Guys in particular--I really really liked.

T

Joshzilla
02-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Um, I just said.

What about before the 4th wall issue? I'm not criticizing you for not liking it, to each his own. I just wondered (other than 4th wall) what you didn't enjoy.

J. R. Scherer
02-17-2006, 08:00 AM
What about before the 4th wall issue? I'm not criticizing you for not liking it, to each his own. I just wondered (other than 4th wall) what you didn't enjoy.
I just didn't think that those issues were anything special. The artwork, especially, is rather mediocre. If it weren't for the whole arc where the 4th wall is broken no one would remember the Animal Man series at all.

Joshzilla
02-17-2006, 08:04 AM
I just didn't think that those issues were anything special. The artwork, especially, is rather mediocre. If it weren't for the whole arc where the 4th wall is broken no one would remember the Animal Man series at all.

Maybe. I'm actually working my way through the series now and I haven't gotten to the 4th wall issue yet and personally, I find it's ability to handle social issues without beating you over the head with it pretty cool. I also liked the "i know i'm a shitty superhero, but i'm gonna do it anyway" vibe of the beginning of the series.

Different strokes for different folks is all.

JABSEN
02-17-2006, 08:11 AM
If it weren't for the whole arc where the 4th wall is broken no one would remember the Animal Man series at all.Even though I liked it, I don't completely disagree with JR here

J. R. Scherer
02-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Maybe. I'm actually working my way through the series now and I haven't gotten to the 4th wall issue yet and personally, I find it's ability to handle social issues without beating you over the head with it pretty cool. I also liked the "i know i'm a shitty superhero, but i'm gonna do it anyway" vibe of the beginning of the series.

Different strokes for different folks is all.
On the plus side, Brian Bolland's covers were phenomenal.

Joshzilla
02-17-2006, 08:14 AM
On the plus side, Brian Bolland's covers were phenomenal.

Well, I think that when your translate the words "Brian Bolland" into Hungarian, it turns out that it's the same word they use for "fucking awesome".

J. R. Scherer
02-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Well, I think that when your translate the words "Brian Bolland" into Hungarian, it turns out that it's the same word they use for "fucking awesome".
His covers were so good that it turned me off of the interior artwork even more.

Joshzilla
02-17-2006, 08:23 AM
His covers were so good that it turned me off of the interior artwork even more.
I can see that happening.