PDA

View Full Version : [General Discussion] Time Travel

Mr. Fusion
04-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm trying to get everyone's thoughts on this. Has it been done to death? Do you think there are more stories to tell, if handled properly? Or should it just be given up as a storytelling twist?

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
04-10-2005, 09:23 PM
No.

GelfXIII
04-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Yes. Tried and true... and always fun if not too stupid.

Mr. Fusion
No.That was exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

:roll:

Mr. Fusion
Yes. Tried and true... and always fun if not too stupid.That's better.

That was exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

Anytime.

The Roman Candle
04-10-2005, 09:25 PM
There are always more stories to tell. Just look at "Tales from the Bully Pulpit."

Raphael J
04-10-2005, 09:25 PM
There are certainly more, and better stories to be told with this concept. As long as any idea is used well, I don't ever see it growing old.

The Roman Candle
04-10-2005, 09:26 PM
There are certainly more, and better stories to be told with this concept. As long as any idea is used well, I don't ever see it growing old.

Evil twins.

04-10-2005, 09:28 PM
No means of telling a story will ever be totally spent, no matter how clichée.

Time travel especially is so open-ended that it will never need worry about becoming stale, provided the story told is a good one.

lyra
04-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Can you include love in the story and also scary zombies and/or a serial killer?

Mr. Fusion
04-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Can you include love in the story and also scary zombies and/or a serial killer?May I take these from you as they are definitely going to improve my story? :D

Persevering Guy
04-10-2005, 09:54 PM
you shrunk my favorite sig =(

I can't believe that came from me :scared:

Time travel stories are kinda dumb. If you think about it, if time travel is possible, then the future exists and everything is constantly either being rewritten in time or alternative realities are being spun.

DOES TIME EVEN EXIST? IS IT JUST A MEASUREMENT?

WAKKAJAWAKKA
04-10-2005, 10:21 PM
I Don't Like It. Only Screws Up Stories.

Wayno.

Mr. Fusion
04-10-2005, 10:43 PM
you shrunk my favorite sig =(

Denny told me to make it smaller. Probably someone complaining or something. :(

greg donovan
04-11-2005, 06:13 AM
time travel stories make my head hurt if i try and think about them too hard. so i dont think to hard about them and just sit back and enjoy.

i love suspension of disbelief!

the most clever time travel type story i have ever seen was the movie Frequency. no one actaully travels in time but it has some good examples of what happens when you start mucking around w/the past.

NickBurgess
04-11-2005, 06:16 AM
Of course there are more time travel stories to be told. They just have to be told well to not seem totally old and cliched.

AAlgar
04-11-2005, 06:18 AM
There's always a new and original spin that can invigorate a seemingly stale concept.

Good time travel stories I have seen in the last couple of years: Bully Pulpit, Donnie Darko.

SteveZegers
04-11-2005, 06:27 AM
I like it. It's a great concept because you can do anything with it. Anything at all. There is always a new way to tell the story.

NickT
04-11-2005, 06:29 AM
I don't like time travel. For one thing, it always makes dumb possibilities (If a guy can time travel, why not go into the past and kill his enemy before anything happens?).

Also, everyone has a different view on time travel. Personally I think you can't go back in time and change anything, as the event has already happened. If you could go back, then it has already happened, so we already know the final result, yeah? Someone else could have a totally different view.

nihilance
04-11-2005, 06:32 AM
I don't like time travel. For one thing, it always makes dumb possibilities (If a guy can time travel, why not go into the past and kill his enemy before anything happens?).

Also, everyone has a different view on time travel. Personally I think you can't go back in time and change anything, as the event has already happened. If you could go back, then it has already happened, so we already know the final result, yeah? Someone else could have a totally different view.
Wrong...you CAN go back and change things...but you can't move forward again to the place you originally came from because you've started a new branch in the timeline.

So old Biff shouldn't have been able to come back to the future after giving himself the sports almanac.

AAlgar
04-11-2005, 06:48 AM
Wrong...you CAN go back and change things...but you can't move forward again to the place you originally came from because you've started a new branch in the timeline.

So old Biff shouldn't have been able to come back to the future after giving himself the sports almanac.

Well, the did cut a scene where Old Biff fades out of existence after he returns to the future.

Childress
04-11-2005, 07:28 AM

bstie1198
04-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Time travel is one of my favorite genres (perhaps even second to post apocalyptic stories ala Y The Last Man). I think there are plenty of interesting stories to be told involving it.

Mr. Fusion
04-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Well, the did cut a scene where Old Biff fades out of existence after he returns to the future.Only because the 1985-A Lorraine shot him. And since he was dead thirty years before 2015.......he faded away.

DigiEmissary
04-12-2005, 04:18 PM

There are two major schools of thought regarding time travel: every possible reality already exists (and timetravel is therefore moving between realities as well as forward or backward in time) or everything that has happened has already happened, so if you travel back in time you were "meant to" because you have to affect things in the past in order to create the present which you were from so you can travel back in time...etc. Basically, open or closed, though in either case everything is already set up and you're the only thing moving.

Mr. Fusion
04-12-2005, 08:53 PM
There are two major schools of thought regarding time travel: every possible reality already exists (and timetravel is therefore moving between realities as well as forward or backward in time) or everything that has happened has already happened, so if you travel back in time you were "meant to" because you have to affect things in the past in order to create the present which you were from so you can travel back in time...etc. Basically, open or closed, though in either case everything is already set up and you're the only thing moving.Second school of thought being more popular. Unless you're a man of Physics.