PDA

View Full Version : What are you working on, Mack?

Welt
02-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Hi. Just wondering what's been on your artistic agenda lately. kabuki Alchemy is proceeding at a relatively slow pace - you are still working on it? How long will the series be? Great stuff on it, and I understand that each issue takes quite a lot of time and effort.

On this forum, you get the idea that you're way too active on the convention scene... sure it's marketing your stuff, but I hope it doesn't take away from your concentration on the creative side of things.

I'm looking forward to your autobiographical material too. You working on that too? Planned schedule?

AvidFan
02-13-2006, 11:52 AM
hi

dont take this the wrong way, but as I read it the last issue of Kabuki: Alchemy #5 had a lot of the answers in it

just joining in

andy.

Welt
02-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Well, Kabuki A 5 listed some projects, a few one-image gigs he has supposedly done already times ago, the forthcoming Art of Mack and a new print of Metamorphosis - the two latter being old job in new covers. Certainly putting together the artbook takes time, but reprints not so much? Except businesswise.

But I was asking about the creative work.

MACK!
02-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi. Just wondering what's been on your artistic agenda lately. kabuki Alchemy is proceeding at a relatively slow pace - you are still working on it? How long will the series be? Great stuff on it, and I understand that each issue takes quite a lot of time and effort.

On this forum, you get the idea that you're way too active on the convention scene... sure it's marketing your stuff, but I hope it doesn't take away from your concentration on the creative side of things.

I'm looking forward to your autobiographical material too. You working on that too? Planned schedule?

Hi Welt,
Welcome back. And thanks for your interest.
I'll try to address all your questions:

1) Of course I am working on it. I hope you are still reading it.
#6 is in stores this coming Wednesday.
#7 is in the new Marvel catalogue.

2)The series will be at least 8 issues. I thought it may be around 9 or 10 or more before, but I'm seeing if I can keep it down to 8 or 9 issues.
It is always a challenge to really organize the last couple issues of the series to tie up all the many things that are happening. So I always tend to take special care on these issues and rewrite them until it gets just write.
Jeff Smith has a good discussion about this on his recent interview on Oeming's OEMED.

3) Great! Really glad you are liking it so far.

4) Well at this point it has been over 3 months since I've been to a convention.
I'm very much looking forward to visiting New York at the end of February.
In general perhaps I do a signing event once every month or two.
Which, considering I'm working on my book the entire rest of the month, seems like a good opertunity to get out and about, interacting with people and the world and getting in a bit of travel.
All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy.
So it is nice to have one weekend every month or two to spend time with my artist friends signing at a convention and visiting a new city.

5) As far as taking from my concentration on the creative side of things, there are personal life things that do that. But this is life so, I guess that stuff just happens and you have to deal with it.
I did cancel some appearances and other things last year, and lost quite a bit of work time when my father was run over by a truck and spent the next three months unable to walk or work. So that took quite a bit of energy and effort from me. My dad is a hight maintenance and needy person to take care of anyway, let alone the extra problems and pain and personal issues that come with his broken bones and surgery and therapy.
So that was a real bummer and took a lot out of me.

6) Definitley still planning for the autobiographical project. I'm glad you are looking forwar to it.
But, of course I plan to wrap this Kabuki story up before beginning the art on that. But I have been adding to the stories of my autobiographical project from time to time, when I'm on a plane or in a place where I can't be doing the art for Kabuki.

7) And in general other what am I doing news:
I do quite a bit of projects outside of Kabuki and outside of comics as well.
-Quite a bit of personal drawings and paintings.
-Organizing works for some gallery exhibits of my work. Including one in Belgium for April and May.
-After finishing one Kabuki issue, I tend to do some covers or other quicker one image projects to clear my pallete before starting the next Kabuki issue.
I recently did a novel cover for Simon & Shusters pocket books line.
A six issue cover gig for Marvel of a new title. I think they will be announcing it at the NY con.
-I'm in the middle of doing several large canvas paintings and drawings that Lucy Lawless commissioned me to do of her.
-Just finished a new painting of Tori Amos for her RAINN benifit calendar to raise money for the charity cause.
-And a few other things I can't mention right now.
But I'll be happy to keep you updated here.

Darediva
02-16-2006, 10:53 PM
So good to know you have so much spare time, David! ;-)

Glad to know that Kabuki will come out next week, but I bet my lousy comic shop won't have a copy for me because I'm not sure they have it listed on my pullsheet now. (Owner changes, and this guy is a real d***.)

Taking care of sick parents is a drag, yes. My mother is in a nursing home, and no matter how often I visit, or how long I stay, even though I've run completely out of conversation, it's never enough. And I'd bet she's not near as high maintenance as your dad is. He is an interesting fellow, indeed. :D

Have fun in NY, and take care! As always, my best to you and your beautiful S/O.

MACK!
02-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks Alice

Welt
02-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Thank you for your thorough answer, David.

What I meant by asking if you're still working on Kabuki Alchemy was whether it was all made, just waiting for the printing. But suppose it would come out at a quicker pace, then.

I have to say that I honor very much your artistic ambition and that you want to do the things as best you can, trying out new things. Too often even very talented people, when they have developed to a stable level of skills, leave it at that and start producing "bulk" material. Of course with comics industry in US, the monthly schedule easily calls for that. And I don't mean that everyone need be experimentalists, but still it's good to challenge one's routines, to keep the work alive.

And of course I understand that there are many other things building your life aside from comics and image-making. And I can imagine it to be fun too, to travel to different cities for conventions et cetera, aside from being just promotion. It's certainly good to meet the people who read and take interst in your stuff. It might be that it "annoys" me because it's no useful information to me, the numerous announcements of different conventions in US, as I'm at a different continent entirely.

Hope you'll be coming to Finland sometime... Or maybe to Luzern this year?

With great interest I am following your many-winged artistic endeauvours.