PDA

View Full Version : Should I disconnect the fridge?

John Drake
02-11-2006, 06:28 PM
I wanna try this.. every night at 10:30, disconnect the refrigerator until about 6:30 am, to save money on electricity. My only concern is if this is gonna be bad for the food, since I've heard that changes in temperature can make it go bad. So..whaddaya think?

Dannñ B
02-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Most refridgerators shut off by themselves when they're not in use. When the temperature gets below what it's set at it turns back on.

DrMachine
02-11-2006, 06:34 PM
I doubt this will make a significant impact on your electricity bill, unless you're bil l is already abnormally high it may even make the bill go up

John Drake
02-11-2006, 06:36 PM
I doubt this will make a significant impact on your electricity bill, unless you're bil l is already abnormally high it may even make the bill go up

Go up? how so?

I'm just trying this because someone told me it saved her 20 bucks a month.

DrMachine
02-11-2006, 06:39 PM
if your bill was very high to begin with it might make it go down...however due to the fact that the compressor may have to work harder to move any gained heat (due to the unplugging) it will probably cause your electricity bill to go up

granted this is can be affected by your median electricity usage/bill, ambient temperature, the amount of food in the fridge and the age of said appliance

who cares?
02-11-2006, 06:43 PM
you're also going to pay to replace spoiled food and such..........

Mike Haseloff
02-11-2006, 06:46 PM
So..whaddaya think?I think it was designed to refridgerate for a reason. You might have something there with your food going bad...

John Drake
02-11-2006, 07:07 PM
ahh fuck it...I'll try it for one night.
2 tops..

it's just that my fridge never gets to do new stuff :D

Smokinblues
02-11-2006, 07:22 PM
this is one of the silliest ideas i've ever heard.

Justin.Strange
02-11-2006, 08:22 PM
yeah. this can only end badly...

DrMachine
02-11-2006, 08:24 PM
ahh fuck it...I'll try it for one night.
2 tops..

it's just that my fridge never gets to do new stuff :D
I doubt you'll see any change (up or down) by just doing it for two nights

Shannon Chenoweth
02-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Hey, while you're at it, can you photographically document the ordeal? Some of us are visual people, ya know? Plus, threads with pics are known for getting more views and replies.

DrMachine
02-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey, while you're at it, can you photographically document the ordeal? Some of us are visual people, ya know? Plus, threads with pics are known for getting more views and replies.

I've got pics!

plugged in

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/jrchapoy/Refrigerator.jpg

unplugged

mattbrand
02-11-2006, 08:52 PM
If your fridge is way old, that may save some energy. If not, it will definitely cost you more in energy. Heating and cooling devices are designed to keep themselves at the desired level efficiently. Startups and big swings in temperature use the most energy in almost all cases.

half guard
02-11-2006, 09:32 PM
If your fridge is way old, that may save some energy. If not, it will definitely cost you more in energy. Heating and cooling devices are designed to keep themselves at the desired level efficiently. Startups and big swings in temperature use the most energy in almost all cases.

exactly. i tried a version of this trick with my central heating once. turned it off during the day. figured i'd save a ton by the end of the month. wrong! my bill actually went UP because it costs more to reheat my house after letting it freeze all day than it did to just keep the thermostat at a reasonable temp like 70.

alexlannin
02-11-2006, 10:27 PM
I would just set it a little lower if you're going to bother doing something like that.

TIP
02-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Dibs on the Jello Pops!

T

SimiBoyz
02-12-2006, 03:41 AM
I've got pics!

plugged in

unplugged

HEY, I can still see the lead. They're both plugged in* :mad:

Donal DeLay
02-12-2006, 03:53 AM
Unplugging your fridge for a lengthy time and plugging it back in will increase your energy bill because the compressor has to run that much longer and that much harder in order to get back to the set temp. and maintain.

Leave it plugged in and just lower the temp. a bit.

John Drake
02-12-2006, 06:25 AM
Ok, I tried it..and the food didn't go bad, but everything was kinda moist and weird. Won't try it again seeing as how you guys say it will actually increase the bill.

noble
02-12-2006, 06:45 AM
If you're worried about high electricity bills you should cut out non vital electrical consumption.

Like Tv's, video games, and oh I don't know...computers for the internet. ;)

mattbrand
02-12-2006, 07:09 AM
computers for the internet. ;)

Blasphemy!

John Drake
02-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Like Tv's, video games, and oh I don't know...computers for the internet. ;)

:no: