PDA

View Full Version : Suicide Squad

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 02:57 PM
I've become really interested in this comic, without actually having read a single fucking issue. I just really like the idea. So at some point in the near future I'm going to try and score some issue, most likely at the Pittsburgh Con. What does everyone have to say about it? And runs to get or avoid? Anything that in can be compared too? Any other work in the same vein I should try?

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 03:17 PM
You bastards.

Someone reply!!!!!!!!!!!

Olivier E.
04-10-2005, 03:20 PM
I thought the same, will also soon looking for some second-hand Suicide Squad issues

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 03:20 PM
I thought the same, will also soon looking for some second-hand Suicide Squad issues

Thank you.

Humphrey_Lee
04-10-2005, 03:21 PM
It's really fun stuff. I dunno what I'd really compare it to as the concept is pretty unique. But the stories are action packed and characters like Deadshot, Captain Boomerang, and so on are just great to see. As far as avoiding stuff, anything that involves a crossover steer clear of. Especially the Milenium ones. Yuck.

AAlgar
04-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Giffen did a run a couple of years ago. Lasted about 12 issues. Not bad, but not his best work...

Jason_BANNED
04-10-2005, 03:22 PM
I have some of the issues from the old series drawn by Luke McDonald. It was the series that came out of the Legends mini-series. Is this the one you're talking about? Or is their a new version of the book?

Jason

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 03:23 PM
I have some of the issues from the old series drawn by Luke McDonald. It was the series that came out of the Legends mini-series. Is this the one you're talking about? Or is their a new version of the book?

Jason

Thats the thing I don't know what runs it has had. There isn't a new run out.

Movie Maker
04-10-2005, 03:23 PM
i think i have some

Movie Maker
04-10-2005, 03:24 PM
i have issues 1 and 2 in perfect coniditon if you wanna make me an offer...

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 03:25 PM
i have issues 1 and 2 in perfect coniditon if you wanna make me an offer...

I'll do your homework for a month.

Movie Maker
04-10-2005, 03:26 PM
I'll do your homework for a month.

deal. :p

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 03:26 PM
deal. :p

Damnit. I don't even do my own homework.

sonnylarue
04-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Suicide Squad was a great book, when John Ostrander wrote it.

It was a cool mix of heroes and villans from every DC decade with guys like rick flagg from the 50's with the Bronze Tiger, Deadshot & Capt Boomerang. Amanda Waller was a cool character from the get go.

The verison that came out with "General Rock" was crap.

DC should re-hire Ostrander to write new SS stuff

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 03:58 PM

It was a cool mix of heroes and villans from every DC decade with guys like rick flagg from the 50's with the Bronze Tiger, Deadshot & Capt Boomerang. Amanda Waller was a cool character fromt he gte go.

The verison that came out With general rock was crap.

Thank you. Are there any TPBS out or will i have to go all singles?

sonnylarue
04-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Sadly I doubt there were any trades.

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Sadly I doubt there were any trades.

Damn. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

sonnylarue
04-10-2005, 04:03 PM
I'd stick with the early issues.The first 2 years.

I can't even remeber how long the run was.

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 04:05 PM
I'd stick with the early issues.The first 2 years.

I can't even remeber how long the run was.

I'm going look up some prices, see what kinda cost im looking at.

sonnylarue
04-10-2005, 04:11 PM
I googled a checklist for SS , just to jog my memory on the book's run.

I didn't see any prices, but looking at the old covers made me remember... I don't think the book ever sucked.

BTW, how lousy is it that Human Target is going away?

It's been my all time favorite Milligan run.

Wagon
04-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Giffen did a run a couple of years ago. Lasted about 12 issues. Not bad, but not his best work...

I actually really did not like the New Suicide Squad.. I felt like they got all the characters wrong... but anyway.. the whole original series is worth picking up, in my opinion.. it's really not that expensive to collect, as I think most issues run about a buck-buck-fifty at Milehigh... the only one that might be hard to find is number 48 I think, which is the first time Oracle officially appears...

it's kind of interesting reading the book, knowing that at any point, anyone could die... and it does a lot to flesh out Deadshot and Captain Boomerang...

Wagon
04-10-2005, 04:28 PM

It was a cool mix of heroes and villans from every DC decade with guys like rick flagg from the 50's with the Bronze Tiger, Deadshot & Capt Boomerang. Amanda Waller was a cool character from the get go.

The verison that came out with "General Rock" was crap.

Amen to that.. the Ostrander stuff is just great...

wh park
04-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Suicide Squad by John Ostrander was one of my favourite books and made me a huge Ostrander convert.

Keep in mind I HATE Luke McDonnell's artwork so it's a testament to Ostrander's writing that I stuck with this book for as long as I did.

I actually like the series more and more as it moves along and changes direction.

If you like this book check out early CHECKMATE and Manhunter (by Ostrander and Doug Rice). Elements from Ostrander's Firestorm run creep up in his SS run as well.

Just a great, well-written series.

And HT you and I have very similar tastes so you know if I endorse it, it must be good!!!!

Jason_BANNED
04-10-2005, 04:57 PM
You can get a bunch of them here for next to nothing:
http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=83407045856&snumber=1

Jason

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I actually really did not like the New Suicide Squad.. I felt like they got all the characters wrong... but anyway.. the whole original series is worth picking up, in my opinion.. it's really not that expensive to collect, as I think most issues run about a buck-buck-fifty at Milehigh... the only one that might be hard to find is number 48 I think, which is the first time Oracle officially appears...

it's kind of interesting reading the book, knowing that at any point, anyone could die... and it does a lot to flesh out Deadshot and Captain Boomerang...

I'm going to see about getting some at the Pittcon, but I'll fill in the gaps at mile high for sure.

I googled a checklist for SS , just to jog my memory on the book's run.

I didn't see any prices, but looking at the old covers made me remember... I don't think the book ever sucked.

BTW, how lousy is it that Human Target is going away?

It's been my all time favorite Milligan run.

It and X-Statix are tied for my Milligan love. I am so pissed it got cancelled and he has to go against his strenghts and write X-Men.

And HT you and I have very similar tastes so you know if I endorse it, it must be good!!!!

Its to very true. I'm for sure going to get these now, and check out the rest of the stuff you mentioned!

Humphrey_Lee
04-10-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm going to see about getting some at the Pittcon, but I'll fill in the gaps at mile high for sure.

Don't forget Ebay. I got all but 2 issues of the Ostrander series for like, $46 after shipping. They go dirt cheap, especially if you really don't care about condition.

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 05:10 PM
You can get a bunch of them here for next to nothing:
http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=83407045856&snumber=1

Jason

Damn that is very tempting. I never order old comics on line, what quality is the best for someone who just wants to be able to read them and doesn't give a fuck about collecting?

Jason_BANNED
04-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Don't forget Ebay. I got all but 2 issues of the Ostrander series for like, $46 after shipping. They go dirt cheap, especially if you really don't care about condition.

I just ordered everything I was missing (which is about 30) issues for $40.60. A bunch of them were only $.80.

Jason

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Has anyone read the new Deadshot mini? Is it any good?

Ben
04-10-2005, 05:47 PM
You should be able to find these in 50 cent boxes at any major con.

For more info: http://www.dcuguide.com/SS/Title_Index.php

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 05:50 PM
You should be able to find these in 50 cent boxes at any major con.

For more info: http://www.dcuguide.com/SS/Title_Index.php

Why thank you. I was going to look there later. I need to start on my list.

Ben
04-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Why thank you. I was going to look there later. I need to start on my list.
If you have patience, I'd wait for a big con, as tempting as Mile High's prices are.

I know how hard it can be, though, since I just filled the gaps in on my JLI collection with eBay and Mile High...

Also, I got an email from Mile High Comics and, if you put in the codeword TAXTIME, you get an additional discount when ordering.

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 05:58 PM
If you have patience, I'd wait for a big con, as tempting as Mile High's prices are.

I know how hard it can be, though, since I just filled the gaps in on my JLI collection with eBay and Mile High...

Also, I got an email from Mile High Comics and, if you put in the codeword TAXTIME, you get an additional discount when ordering.

Hopefully I can find some cool shit at Pittsburgh. They had some gems last year.

artimoff
04-10-2005, 08:14 PM
The Best issues are from the later years. It went to #66

wh park
04-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Has anyone read the new Deadshot mini? Is it any good?

It's good.

But if you are going to get the Ostrander Suicide Squad series get the original Deadshot mini as well. I think McDonnell does the art so it looks like shit but the story is riveting and disturbing.

And if you sample the Ostrander love check out his greatest work ever - GRIMJACK!

The Human Target
04-10-2005, 09:27 PM
It's good.

But if you are going to get the Ostrander Suicide Squad series get the original Deadshot mini as well. I think McDonnell does the art so it looks like shit but the story is riveting and disturbing.

And if you sample the Ostrander love check out his greatest work ever - GRIMJACK!

Why do you hate the art so much?

What about his Spectre run?

wh park
04-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Why do you hate the art so much?

What about his Spectre run?

McDonnell... ugh! To me he's like the Chuck Austen of artists. He's marginally better than Liefeld but so's the dump I took earlier. I just never liked his work.

Ostrander's Spectre run is good, a bit heavy handed but still thought-provoking.

I liked his run on Martian Manhunter better.

Oh!

I totally forgot... HAWKWORLD!!!

Hawkworld is awesome as well. Katar Hol and Shayera Thal kicking ass in the mean skies of Chicago!!!!

You know what Human Target get Suicide Squad, the first Manhunter story-arc, early Grimjacks and Hawkworld and you will be set and Ostrander will make you wonder why he's not getting choice writing gigs instead of some of the chumps who are.

edited to make more sense

wh park
04-11-2005, 10:07 AM
BTW the art does get better.

Karl Kesel did a short run which was nice.

Geoff Isherwood does a really nice long run in the latter stage of the book.

The Human Target
04-11-2005, 12:38 PM
BTW the art does get better.

Karl Kesel did a short run which was nice.

Geoff Isherwood does a really nice long run in the latter stage of the book.

Now I'm in some serious need of these books.

Hows Farscape by the way?

wh park
04-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Now I'm in some serious need of these books.

Hows Farscape by the way?

Posted my comment in the Farscape thread.

And Ostrander is really good at taking plot threads from earlier stories and incorporating them later on, he's like the anti-Claremont.

And Amanda Waller has never been handled better than by Ostrander (her creator).

The Human Target
04-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Posted my comment in the Farscape thread.

And Ostrander is really good at taking plot threads from earlier stories and incorporating them later on, he's like the anti-Claremont.

And Amanda Waller has never been handled better than by Ostrander (her creator).

You had me at anti-Claremont.

wh park
04-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Here are my fave characters in the entire run of the book (in no particular order) -

AMANDA WALLER
NIGHTSHADE
BRONZE TIGER
DEADSHOT
RAVAN
CAPTAIN BOOMERANG
RICK FLAGG
DUCHESS