Kelly Osbourne: Shut Up

Kelly Osbourne: Changes

Kelly Osbourne: Hot Sea Cow Loving

Kelly Osbourne: Chunky Chicken and the Electric Five

:roll:

And I heard her new single today.

I liked it.

And no, not for the reasons you think.

... Okay, maybe a little for the reasons you think...

Ben
04-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Kelly Osbourne: Pappa Don't Preach

Kelly Osbourne: Shut Up

Kelly Osbourne: Changes

Kelly Osbourne: Hot Sea Cow Loving

Kelly Osbourne: Chunky Chicken and the Electric Five
DAMMIT!

Raphael J
04-09-2005, 12:45 PM
DAMMIT!

HAH!

That totally makes you my bitch now.

Raphael J
04-09-2005, 12:46 PM

I liked it.

... Okay, maybe a little for the reasons you think...

Oh c'mon. I actually tried to remember what her singles were called and those last two were comedic gold!

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
04-09-2005, 12:46 PM
I hate both of you.

:wink:

The Roman Candle
04-09-2005, 12:47 PM
1-5) Any Marylin Manson cover of what used to be a good 80's song.

04-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Oh c'mon. I actually tried to remember what her singles were called and those last two were comedic gold!

They did raise a dry chuckle, there's no denying that.

BigButtPanda
04-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Mad World

That song always gets me.

and A Little Fall of Rain from Les Miserables.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
04-09-2005, 12:49 PM
John Lennon- "Watching the Wheels"
Not the song itself, but hearing the lyrics and knowing that he died too early.

silverboy
04-09-2005, 01:01 PM
1-5) Any Marylin Manson cover of what used to be a good 80's song.

We need a jaw-dropping emoticon

Mr. Fusion
04-09-2005, 01:02 PM

I liked it.

... Okay, maybe a little for the reasons you think...You need help. Perhaps some brain medication?

Mr. Fusion
04-09-2005, 01:03 PM
1-5) Any Marylin Manson cover of what used to be a good 80's song.Eurythmics still haunts me in my dreams. :x

The Roman Candle
04-09-2005, 01:03 PM
We need a jaw-dropping emoticon

Manson < Everything. And that depresses me.

Opus Croakus
04-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Don't forget the uber-depressing "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin.

Raphael J
04-09-2005, 01:09 PM
I just noticed that This Year's Love has been on a few of your lists. A favorite song of yours?

BTW, great, great taste in David Gray. He's severely underrated. I have his first album and White Ladder.

AAlgar
04-09-2005, 01:09 PM
"Me and a Gun" by Tori Amos

RebootedCorpse
04-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Season in the Sun
On so many levels...

B3NN3TT
04-09-2005, 01:13 PM
The saddest song I can think of is "Downtown" by Petula Clark. It CRUSHES me, because it's trying to be happy.

I also really get haunted by "Windmills of your Mind" by whoever is covering it this week. I don't think it's a sad song per se, but the tune is so melancholy...

GoddessOKay
04-09-2005, 01:16 PM
"C Is For Coookie....Sometimes"

:cry:

Mr. Fusion
04-09-2005, 01:20 PM
"C Is For Coookie....Sometimes"

:cry:Oh yeah, like you watch Sesame Street enough for it to even matter! :x

I deal with it every day!:cry: :( :cry:

:p

GoddessOKay
04-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Oh yeah, like you watch Sesame Street enough for it to even matter! :x

i gots cousins, and nieces and nephews too you know!
but the WORSE thing by far! was when they stopped showing Lionel Richie singing "Stuck On You" w/ that crazy Letter U, cuz of all the good touch bad touch and sex abuse scandals every where else in the country...
now THAT was wrong.

ironic....coming for a long time :lol:......but still wrong...:roll:

Mr. Fusion
04-09-2005, 01:32 PM
i gots cousins, and nieces and nephews too you know!
but the WORSE thing by far! was when they stopped showing Lionel Richie singing "Stuck On You" w/ that crazy Letter U, cuz of all the good touch bad touch and sex abuse scandals every where else in the country...
now THAT was wrong.

ironic....coming for a long time :lol:......but still wrong...:roll:Yeah. They really are letting too many people get to them and stifle the good material.

....:x

Plain Abraham Lincoln
04-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Sorry but none of these songs cme close to X's "Come back to me"

04-09-2005, 01:45 PM
I just noticed that This Year's Love has been on a few of your lists. A favorite song of yours?

BTW, great, great taste in David Gray. He's severely underrated. I have his first album and White Ladder.

I fuckin' love that song, and David Gray in general. But I just can't listen to that song at the moment. Too many emotional things tied to it. The last time I tried, I burst into tears. No joke.

sonnylarue
04-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Season in the Sun
On so many levels...

that's my choice, with four other 1970's songs ...

Wildfire-Michael Martin Murphy(dead horse)

Shannon-Henry Gross (dead dog)

Last Kiss-( fatal car accident) Wedenssday (or versions by J Frank Wilson & Pearl Jam)

Run Joey Run-(Dad accidently shoots his daughter who ran away with her boyfriend)

BrianS
04-09-2005, 01:52 PM
1. Weekends in New England by Barry Manilow
2. The Best Deceptions by Dashboard Confessional
3. Unreadable Communication by Curve
4. As Tears Go By by the Rolling Stones
5. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana

gwyllgi
04-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Mad World- shit, who sang that?
Hurt by NIN... I fucking hate Cash's version, he fucked it up. Sorry.
Me and a Gun by Tori Amos. That song is painful.
Something I can Never Have- NIN. Do not listen to it if you've just lost someone. >_<
Man that You Fear- Manson. That song's just fucking painful.
Hate You Didn't Try- Leah Andreone
Centrefolds- Placebo
Without You I'm Nothing- Placebo

OOOH...
"Beautiful" by Tapping the Vein. I recommend you at least read the lyrics. It's heart wretching. written about a friend who was killed in a convience store robbery. I'll post them if anyone wants to read the lyrics.

I'll stop there.

and HEY. Manson is a great artist. I *like* fucked up and dreary. I especially like his covers. Tainted Love was hysterical. Only stupid people get pissed over that one, since the song was for a parody movie. ;)

04-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Hurt by NIN... I fucking hate Cash's version, he fucked it up. Sorry.

Blasphamy, woman.

Blasphamy.

gwyllgi
04-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Blasphamy, woman.

Blasphamy.

No, he changed the meaning of the entire song with a single word and for that I cannot forgive him.

Sorry. Trent sings it with more pain. Johnny's just hollow. It would be good if I hadn't heard Trent singing it with tears in his voice.

The Roman Candle
04-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Mad World- shit, who sang that?

Gary Jules.

Only stupid people get pissed over that one,

And only faux-goth kids who cut their wrists, write poetry about how "dark" their "souls" are (that also repeatly rhyme "life" with 'strife"), and have androgyny fetishes stemming from watching their fathers have sex with cross-dressing prostitutes enjoy Marylin Manson's music.

Touché! ;)

04-09-2005, 01:59 PM
No, he changed the meaning of the entire song with a single word and for that I cannot forgive him.

Sorry. Trent sings it with more pain. Johnny's just hollow. It would be good if I hadn't heard Trent singing it with tears in his voice.

I assume you're referring to him changing "Crown of shit" to "Crown of thorns".

I believe Trent is on record as saying that he likes that line better than the one he wrote, and that he would have wrote it had he thought of it.

I also think I heard that he's never going to perform that song live again, as he now considers it to be a Johnny Cash song.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
04-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Kim Richey "A Place Called Home"

gwyllgi
04-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Gary Jules.

And only faux-goth kids who cut their wrists, write poetry about how "dark" their "souls" are (that also repeatly rhyme "life" with 'strife"), and have androgyny fetishes stemming from watching their fathers have sex with cross-dressing prostitutes enjoy Marylin Manson's music.

Touché! ;)

Actually, no, since both my mother and my aunt enjoy his music, and they are far from either of those things. And i myself am not a 'faux goth kid'. I like his lyrics, which, btw, do not rhyme 'strife with life'. And I DO have an adnrogyny fetish, but that's just because i'm a bisexual slut.

Manson's got great range and is a very cool musician. Much more talented than this new batch of shit producing 'goth' music, ie evanescance and their ilk. I love him because I loved the shock rockers before him: Bowie, Ozzie, Cooper, Elvis. They're all great, because they piss people off, and for the right reasons.

04-09-2005, 02:04 PM
I actually like Manson's version of "Sweet Dreams", although "Tainted Love" has got old for me now.

gwyllgi
04-09-2005, 02:04 PM

I believe Trent is on record as saying that he likes that line better than the one he wrote, and that he would have wrote it had he thought of it.

I also think I heard that he's never going to perform that song live again, as he now considers it to be a Johnny Cash song.

*shrug* matters not to me.

I like the meaning and the way trent sang it much better than Cash, just like I thought Depeche Mode did a MUCH better job on Personal Jesus.

I Like Cash, I respect what the man did, but just because he's Cash, that doesn't mean I think every thing he sings is gold. I did not at ALL care for the covers of Hurt or Personal Jesus. I found them dry, stiff, and rather meaningless.

sonnylarue
04-09-2005, 02:06 PM

If you knew the real life story of Johnny Cash, you'd rethink that.

It's no different than Paul Anka writing MY WAY, but Frank Sinatra turning it into a signature song for himself.

The Roman Candle
04-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Actually, no, since both my mother and my aunt enjoy his music, and they are far from either of those things. And i myself am not a 'faux goth kid'. I like his lyrics, which, btw, do not rhyme 'strife with life'. And I DO have an adnrogyny fetish, but that's just because i'm a bisexual slut.

Manson's got great range and is a very cool musician. Much more talented than this new batch of shit producing 'goth' music, ie evanescance and their ilk. I love him because I loved the shock rockers before him: Bowie, Ozzie, Cooper, Elvis. They're all great, because they piss people off, and for the right reasons.

I was just fucking with you. Don't take it personal-like.

gwyllgi
I actually like Manson's version of "Sweet Dreams", although "Tainted Love" has got old for me now.

Tainted Love is a LOT of fun to dance to if I'm taking off my clothes.

Sweet Dreams is just good, period.

He's got much better stuff tho. Golden Age of Grotesque and AntiChrist Superstar are his best albums, both full of wonderful songs. I liked Mechanical Animals for the Bowie influence; In the Valley was good but not really stand out, except, for my opinion, "King Kill 33"... the albums' really political and GREAT especially live, but just not as good as his other stuff. Smells Like Children, and Portrait of An American Family are good, but rough, and a little more gothy/weird/industrial.

Antichrist was the first aggressively polishED album, and the first I'd heard from him. The moment I saw the video for The Beautiful People I was sold. I absolutely adore things that make other people feel sick or dirty, and Manson's good at doing that.

And he's sexy, anyway.

:}

The Roman Candle

I like the meaning and the way trent sang it much better than Cash, just like I thought Depeche Mode did a MUCH better job on Personal Jesus.

I Like Cash, I respect what the man did, but just because he's Cash, that doesn't mean I think every thing he sings is gold. I did not at ALL care for the covers of Hurt or Personal Jesus. I found them dry, stiff, and rather meaningless.

Did you ever see the video?

greatgamer
04-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Oh yeah, like you watch Sesame Street enough for it to even matter! :x

Best zinger I've read all week. :D

gwyllgi
04-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Did you ever see the video?

Yeah. I didn't like it, either. I watched it through once, and ever since, have turned the channel when it's come on.

It's an alright song. The only reason people give it so much credit is because Johnny Cash sang it right before he died. If it had been an original, and if the ORIGINAL had not meant so very much to me when I was younger, I think I would maybe like it a little better. But I don't. It lacks what I liked about it. It lacks that strange hollow sucking sound, it lacks Trent's soft, whispered tones. It lacks the malice towards the end.

Johnny just sounds tired. Empty. Which in its own way is good and creepy. But it's not the style I prefer.

04-09-2005, 02:13 PM

I think it's a guy thing, his version of this song. Women just don't seem to connect with it the same way, or the video, which is the most gut-wrenching four minutes of supposed "entertainment" you will ever see.

As for it sounding hollow...

... again, it's a subjective thing, but I just don't hear that. Consider this- Cash was so ill when they were recording this tract, that they would record a line, then have a ten minute break, then record another line. Also, listen to the pain in his voice when he sings, "Everyong I know goes away in the end". Now consider that his wife died very soon after this track was laid down.

04-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Tainted Love is a LOT of fun to dance to if I'm taking off my clothes.

... Damn, girl...

gwyllgi
04-09-2005, 02:14 PM
If you knew the real life story of Johnny Cash, you'd rethink that.

It's no different than Paul Anka writing MY WAY, but Frank Sinatra turning it into a signature song for himself.

Oh, I know. I've said before... I like Johnny Cash just fine. My BF is NUTS over him.

I know all about the drug abuse and hard life.

That doesn't make him sound any more heartfelt to me. It's just not.. it doesn't fit with me, and no matter how many times I listen to it, it doesn't catch my heart the way the original does. there are still other sadder songs out there- Mad World, for one, which is one of the most heart rending songs EVER... but Johnny Cash's hurt doesn't sound depressing to me, just really tired.

-And Roman, I don't really care if you like manson or not. It's just bothersome whenever anyone says they do, that other people have to say shit about silly, doggerel type lyrics. That's what bugs me, because Manson doesn't write that way, and if they'd listen to his stuff they'd know that.

gwyllgi
04-09-2005, 02:18 PM

... Damn, girl...

Oh, I'm good, aren't I. ;)

Yeah. I know he was dying, and I know his wife died. But again, it doesn't resonate with me. I close my eyes and hear Trent's voice and "you could have it all, my empire of dirt, i will let you down, i will make you hurt..." it's so sad, and yet, it's always had the softest hint of a threat. I like it JUST as he sings it, because it's not that overt, it's not too in your face, it's just the softest, darkest, pained place you can go in your heart.

I didn't even like the song that well when BOWIE did it and I love Bowie's voice.

04-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Oh, I'm good, aren't I. ;)

Yeah. I know he was dying, and I know his wife died. But again, it doesn't resonate with me. I close my eyes and hear Trent's voice and "you could have it all, my empire of dirt, i will let you down, i will make you hurt..." it's so sad, and yet, it's always had the softest hint of a threat. I like it JUST as he sings it, because it's not that overt, it's not too in your face, it's just the softest, darkest, pained place you can go in your heart.

I didn't even like the song that well when BOWIE did it and I love Bowie's voice.

Hey like I said, you don't have to like it. Everything is subjective.

You don't like Johnny Cash.

I like Kelly Osbourne.

The world is a strange, wonderful place.

greatgamer
04-09-2005, 02:22 PM
I don't even know the song titles for some of these.

Yellowcard - All That I Needed to Hear From You
Linkin Park - Crawling
Linkin Park - In The End
Linkin Park - Numb
Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong
Hoobastank - Crawling in the Dark
Disturbed - Heaven
The Used - Blue and Yellow
Thrice - Deadbolt
Killers - Smile Like You Mean It
Britney Spears - Lucky
Britney Spears - Cinderella
Britney Spears - From the Bottom of My Broken Heart
Hillary Duff - Let the Rain Fall
Linsay Lohan - Tell Me (I Can't Live Without You)
Boys II Men - On Bended Knees
I forgot the name of this band, but the song name is "I Swear"
The Pocahontas Theme Song is pretty sad too
Frankie J - Don't Wanna Try
Frankie J - Amor
Smilez and South Star - What's Going On
Tyrese - Have I Told You
O-Town - Is This How it Ends
Tony Rich Project - Angel
Daft Punk - Celebration
Daft Punk - Digital Love
I know so many good techno/trance that are depressing. Can't think of the names right now... one of them is called Lady Hear Me Tonight... I think.
Eiffel 65 - Blue
Eiffel 65 - Deep Down
Eiffel 65 - Clown
Eiffel 65 - Too Much Heaven
Eiffel 65 - Move Your Body
Eiffel 65 - One More Day
Anything Eiffel 65 is melancholic (if that's even a word)

I know there are more depressing songs than this, but I can't really think of a top 5 right now. These are just some that came into mind.

The Roman Candle
04-09-2005, 02:25 PM
-And Roman, I don't really care if you like manson or not. It's just bothersome whenever anyone says they do, that other people have to say shit about silly, doggerel type lyrics. That's what bugs me, because Manson doesn't write that way, and if they'd listen to his stuff they'd know that.

I said his fans write poetry like that, not the man himself. I listened a bit when I was in high school, and my best friend has his posters plastered all over her walls and cuddles his CDs to sleep every night. I have nothing against him, I just don't like his cover songs (and I really really like fucking with people).

04-09-2005, 02:26 PM

Another wonderful song, but another i have a hard time listening to at the moment. Too...

... I'm not sure really. Listening to that song is like looking in the mirror.

The Roman Candle
04-09-2005, 02:28 PM

Linkin Park - Crawling
Linkin Park - In The End
Linkin Park - Numb
Disturbed - Heaven
Thrice - Deadbolt
Britney Spears - Lucky
Frankie J - Amor
Tyrese - Have I Told You
Daft Punk - Celebration
Daft Punk - Digital Love
I know so many good techno/trance that are depressing. Can't think of the names right now... one of them is called Lady Hear Me Tonight... I think.
Eiffel 65 - Blue
Eiffel 65 - Deep Down
Eiffel 65 - Clown
Eiffel 65 - One More Day

I know there are more depressing songs than this, but I can't really think of a top 5 right now. These are just some that came into mind.

"I Swear" was by All4One. No idea why I remember that.

gwyllgi
04-09-2005, 02:28 PM
I said his fans write poetry like that, not the man himself. I listened a bit when I was in high school, and my best friend has his posters plastered all over her walls and cuddles his CDs to sleep every night. I have nothing against him, I just don't like his cover songs (and I really really like fucking with people).

Oh jesus don't get me started on whiney goths.
No matter how long I wear black or write weird poetry, those motherfuckers have EVERYONE beat for being annoying.

They're like... well... they became emo kids I think.

I love his covers. I love it when things are made all dreary and depressing and creepy.... sorta liek the APC cover of "Imagine"

That song actually makes me happy.

Chemical Imbalance? Maybe so.

butchy stubbs
04-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Goddamn The Sun the Swans
I know It's Over The smiths
Angie Rolling Stones
1000 Years the Cure
Family Snapshot Peter Gabriel

greatgamer
04-09-2005, 02:30 PM

Oh yeah, that's it. Thanks.

greatgamer
04-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Another wonderful song, but another i have a hard time listening to at the moment. Too...

... I'm not sure really. Listening to that song is like looking in the mirror.

Totally. It's an awesome song.

Mr. E!
04-09-2005, 02:34 PM
"There is a light that never goes out" by the Smiths
"Tell Laura I love her" another great dead-in-a-car-crash song

The Roman Candle
04-09-2005, 02:35 PM
the APC cover of "Imagine"

See, that one I really hate.
I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree.
About everything.
Except annoying goth kids.

The Roman Candle
04-09-2005, 02:36 PM
"War on Drugs" by Barenaked Ladies. I know, it's the Barenaked Ladies, but give it a listen. It might surprise you.

greatgamer
04-09-2005, 02:42 PM

Linkin Park - Crawling
Linkin Park - In The End
Linkin Park - Numb
Disturbed - Heaven
Thrice - Deadbolt
Britney Spears - Lucky
Frankie J - Amor
Tyrese - Have I Told You
Daft Punk - Celebration
Daft Punk - Digital Love
Eiffel 65 - Blue
Eiffel 65 - Deep Down
Eiffel 65 - Clown
Eiffel 65 - One More Day

EDITed list. I added a few more songs, and I just remembered a great depressing song by Ataris, but I can't remember the name. I think it's called My Journal or something. The lyrics go a little something like this... "Being grown up, is it half as fun as growing up. These are the best days of our lives..."

Ataris - Journal (???)
All4One - I Swear
Metallica - No Leaf Clover
Christina Aguilera ft. Ricky Martin - Why? (I doubt this is the song title...)
Soul Decision - I forgot the name. Lyrics go something like, "I can't pretend that you're only my friend..."
Tupac - Changes
Backstreet Boys - That Way
Backstreet Boys - Shape of My Heart
Backstreet Boys - Tell Me Feeling of Being Lonely
Backstreet Boys - The One
N'Sync - It's Gonna Be Me
Candy - Don't Think I'm Not
Toni Braxton ft. Dark Child - Why Are You w/ Him
Linkin Park - Crawling
Linkin Park - In The End
Linkin Park - Numb
Disturbed - Heaven
Thrice - Deadbolt
Britney Spears - Lucky
Frankie J - Amor
Tyrese - Have I Told You
Daft Punk - Celebration
Daft Punk - Digital Love
I know so many good techno/trance that are depressing. Can't think of the names right now... one of them is called Lady Hear Me Tonight and another called Look At Us Now... I think.
Eiffel 65 - Blue
Eiffel 65 - Deep Down
Eiffel 65 - Clown
Eiffel 65 - One More Day

moonspider
04-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Paul McCartney - yesterday

04-09-2005, 02:45 PM
EDITed list. I added a few more songs, and I just remembered a great depressing song by Ataris, but I can't remember the name. I think it's called My Journal or something. The lyrics go a little something like this... "Being grown up, is it half as fun as growing up. These are the best days of our lives..."

Ataris - Journal (???)
All4One - I Swear
Soul Decision - I forgot the name. Lyrics go something like, "I can't pretend that you're only my friend..."
Tupac - Changes
Linkin Park - Crawling
Linkin Park - In The End
Linkin Park - Numb
Disturbed - Heaven
Thrice - Deadbolt
Britney Spears - Lucky
Frankie J - Amor
Tyrese - Have I Told You
Daft Punk - Celebration
Daft Punk - Digital Love
I know so many good techno/trance that are depressing. Can't think of the names right now... one of them is called Lady Hear Me Tonight and another called Look At Us Now... I think.
Eiffel 65 - Blue
Eiffel 65 - Deep Down
Eiffel 65 - Clown
Eiffel 65 - One More Day

I must say, your taste in music is incredibly eclectic.

ForkDolphin
04-09-2005, 02:58 PM
What albums is that Cure song on? 1000 years. The cure has so many depressing songs. FGWLEGF

butchy stubbs
04-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Mandy by "cough cough" Barry Manillow and as someone said Yesteday by the Beatles always got me as a kid. And as someone said Mad World.

I love said songs but I'm afraid what that says about me. Any ideas why sad songs are so appealing? Most of the time they are actually uplifting to me unless I'm already in a really bad mood then Swans or NIN can be little much to take sometimes. Other times it hits the spot perfectly. I think it's more the emotion of the song than how depressing it is that appeals to me. There are a few happy songs that are great and emotional (ie Cure Just Like Heaven?) but most just sound phoney and plastic.

butchy stubbs
04-09-2005, 03:01 PM
What albums is that Cure song on? 1000 years. The cure has so many depressing songs. FGWLEGF Pornography. I've heard that some people think that is the most depressing album ever. It's very rare that a album will have not one second of light on it but that one doesn't. Some of Swans albums are close though.

ForkDolphin
04-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Okay, you're talking about 100 Years. I thought there was a song I wasn't hip to.

madmartigan
04-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Sir some people are in sore need for chopping, May I?

04-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Sir some people are in sore need for chopping, May I?

Stay your sword, my bloodfirsty little spree killer.

greatgamer
04-09-2005, 03:17 PM

Ataris - Journal (???)
All4One - I Swear
Tupac - Changes
Linkin Park - Crawling
Linkin Park - In The End
Linkin Park - Numb
Disturbed - Heaven
Thrice - Deadbolt
Britney Spears - Lucky
Frankie J - Amor
Tyrese - Have I Told You
Daft Punk - Celebration
Daft Punk - Digital Love
Eiffel 65 - Blue
Eiffel 65 - Deep Down
Eiffel 65 - Clown
Eiffel 65 - One More Day

Some more songs popped into my head...

BB Mack - Ghost of You and Me (I don't think this is the name...)
BB Mack - I'll Be There (this either)
There's one song by Beegees that was released like four years ago that I actually enjoyed...
Three Doors Down - Kryptonite
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Zephyr Song
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Sometimes I Feel Like I Don't Have a Partner (that's the first line)
I can't remember the named but Red Hot Chilli Peppers made some really nice depressing songs
My Chemical Romance - I'm Not Okay
Muse - Time is Running Out
Bravery - Honest Mistake
Keen - Somewhere
Boyz II Men - Yesterday
Almost anything Boyz II Men is depressing and great
Lifehouse - Sick Cycle Carousel
Lifehouse - Spin
Mandy Moore - Only Hope

butchy stubbs
04-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Okay, you're talking about 100 Years. I thought there was a song I wasn't hip to. yeah i couldn't remember if it was 100 or 1000 when i was posting and when i sang it in my head it came out 1000. Sorry about that. Disintegration is very depressing as well but the songs are so great it has the opposite effect on me than does Pornography. Which is a good album but not one of my Cure faves.

greatgamer
04-09-2005, 03:21 PM
I must say, your taste in music is incredibly eclectic.

Danky.

I listen to everything except crap, but most people on this board will contest this. ;)

GoddessOKay
04-09-2005, 03:36 PM
why is this song depressing? :miffed:

Sheldo
04-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Couple more depressing songs:

Perfect Day - Lou Reed
Whale and Wasp - Alice In Chains

Zeppe
04-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Don't Change Your Plans - Ben Folds Five

I heard this song shortly after moving across the country which ended up breaking up me and my girlfriend at the time.

Boris the Blade
04-09-2005, 04:36 PM
You think Cash's version of Hurt was depressing? Listen to Nine Inch Nail's original version. Yowee.

And I don't think Fake Plastic Trees is depressing at all. It's rather uplifting, actually.

Though I don't normally like them, Blink 182's Adam's Song is very depressing. Also - Disintegration, by The Cure.

Blandy vs Terrorism
04-09-2005, 04:39 PM

Underrated? By whom? When I worked in a musice store several years ago, his albums sold out within days after we got them in.

mattdangerouslyV1
04-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Yeah. I didn't like it, either. I watched it through once, and ever since, have turned the channel when it's come on.

It's an alright song. The only reason people give it so much credit is because Johnny Cash sang it right before he died. If it had been an original, and if the ORIGINAL had not meant so very much to me when I was younger, I think I would maybe like it a little better. But I don't. It lacks what I liked about it. It lacks that strange hollow sucking sound, it lacks Trent's soft, whispered tones. It lacks the malice towards the end.

Johnny just sounds tired. Empty. Which in its own way is good and creepy. But it's not the style I prefer.

I get a lot of what you're saying, but to suggest that the only reason people like the song is because Cash died soon after recording it is utter bullshit, and just a bit disrespectful, not only to him but to people who like his version of the song. You obviously feel very passionately about Reznor's version of the song, so you shouldn't go around undermining everyone else's reasons for liking Cash's version.

mattdangerouslyV1
04-09-2005, 09:51 PM
"Blood Red River" by Beth Orton

Took a friend I found
Across some blood red river
Never did find my way home
In time to forgive her
Why must people always want what they can't have?
Why must people always grab what they'd never grasp?
How did we get so far?
How do we move so fast away
From the lilac-lilied lake
I'm sure we used to play
Is it only a dream away?
Took a raft I found
In time for my dinner
Why must people always want what they never have?
Why is it a crime to miss a part of you that's bled?
How did we get so far?
I'm sure we used to play
Is it only a dream away?
Only a dream away
Lost a friend
I found down some blood red river
In time to forget her
Why must people always take, but forget to ask?
How do we get so far?
From the lilac lilied lake
Where I'm sure where we used to play
Is it only a dream away?
Only a dream away

Piechuck
04-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Wild Horse-The Sundays
Full of Grace-Sarah McLachlan

changingshades
04-09-2005, 10:18 PM
HAH!

That totally makes you my bitch now.
nah, 5 bucks'll do that

this just makes him pwned

changingshades
04-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Don't forget the uber-depressing "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin.
nah, that song just annoys me

tries to hard to be depressing and instead is just suck

changingshades
04-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Mad World- shit, who sang that?)
Originally Tears for Fears, but You're probably talking about Gary Jules from the Donnie Darko soundtrack?

changingshades
04-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Any song from Dancer in the Dark makes me weep like a little girl

changingshades
04-09-2005, 10:32 PM

that sucks, I loved hearing Hurt Live

changingshades
04-09-2005, 10:34 PM

I Like Cash, I respect what the man did, but just because he's Cash, that doesn't mean I think every thing he sings is gold. I did not at ALL care for the covers of Hurt or Personal Jesus. I found them dry, stiff, and rather meaningless.word

though I honestly haven't bought any Manson since mechanical animals

butchy stubbs
04-10-2005, 08:15 AM
I get a lot of what you're saying, but to suggest that the only reason people like the song is because Cash died soon after recording it is utter bullshit, and just a bit disrespectful, not only to him but to people who like his version of the song. You obviously feel very passionately about Reznor's version of the song, so you shouldn't go around undermining everyone else's reasons for liking Cash's version. There is no reason in doing a cover song if you do it exactly the same. I like that Johnny did it in his inimitable somber lethargic style. I like both versions for different reasons but i think it is cool as fuck that a 80 year old country singer would cover a NIN song.
I loved Cash's vid for that but it was a small hit but
I hadn't heard it at all for at least a couple months before he passed away so saying it was a hit because he died doesn't hold water. Can you believe that Cash also did a cover of fucking Danzig!?

butchy stubbs
04-10-2005, 08:22 AM
"Blood Red River" by Beth Orton

Took a friend I found
In time to forgive her
Why must people always grab what they'd never grasp?
How did we get so far?
I'm sure we used to play
Is it only a dream away?
Took a raft I found
In time for my dinner
Why must people always want what they never have?
Why is it a crime to miss a part of you that's bled?
How did we get so far?
I'm sure we used to play
Is it only a dream away?
Only a dream away
Lost a friend
I found down some blood red river
In time to forget her
Why must people always take, but forget to ask?
How do we get so far?
From the lilac lilied lake
Where I'm sure where we used to play
Is it only a dream away?
Only a dream away Good one. I love
Beth Ortons first two cds. The songs "Galaxy Of Emptiness" and "Sweetest Decline" couldn't be more gourgous.

silverboy
04-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Sniper
by Harry Chapin

It is an early Monday morning.
The sun is becoming bright on the land.
No one is watching as he comes a walking.
Two bulky suitcases hang from his hands.

He heads towards the tower that stands in the campus.
He goes through the door, he starts up the stairs.
The sound of his footsteps, the sound of his breathing,
The sound of the silence when no one was there.

I didn't really know him.
He was kind of strange.
Always sort of sat there.
He never seemed to change.

He reached the catwalk. He put done his burden.
The four sided clock began to chime.
Seven AM, the day is beginning.
So much to do and so little time.

He looks at the city where no one had known him.
He looks at the sky where no one looks down.
He looks at his life and what it has shown him.
He looks for his shadow it cannot be found.

He was such a moody child, very hard to touch.
Even as a baby he never smiled too much. No no.No no.

You bug me, she said.
Your ugly, she said.
Please hug me, I said.
But she just sat there
With the same flat stare
That she saves for me alone
When I'm home.
When I'm home.
Take me home.

He laid out the rifles, he loaded the shotgun,
He stacked up the cartridges along the wall.
He knew he would need them for his conversation.
If it went as it he planned, then he might use them all.

He said Listen you people I've got a question
You won't pay attention but I'll ask anyhow.
I found a way that will get me an answer.
Been waiting to ask you 'till now.
Right now !

Am I ?
I am a lover whose never been kissed.
Am I ?
I am a fighter whose not made a fist.
Am I ?
If I'm alive then there's so much I've missed.
How do I know I exist ?
Are you listening to me ?
Am I ?

The first words he spoke took the town by surprise.
One got Mrs. Gibbons above her right eye.
It blew her through the window wedged her against the door.
Reality poured from her face, staining the floor.

He was kind of creepy,
Sort of a dunce.
I met him at the corner bar.
I only dated the poor boy once,
That's all. Just once, that was all.

Bill Whedon was questioned as stepped from his car.
Tom Scott ran across the street but he never got that far.
The police were there in minutes, they set up baricades.
He spoke right on over them in a half-mile circle.
In a dumb struck city his pointed questions were sprayed.

He knocked over Danny Tyson as he ran towards the noise.
Just about then the answers started comming. Sweet, sweet joy.
Thudding in the clock face, whining off the walls,
Reaching up to where he sat there, answering calls.

Thirty-seven people got his message so far.
Yes, he was reaching them right were they are.

They set up an assault team. They asked for volunteers.
They had to go and get him, that much was clear.
And the word spread about him on the radios and TV's.
In appropriately sober tone they asked "Who can it be ?"

He was a very dull boy, very taciturn.
Not much of a joiner, he did not want to learn.
No no.No no.

They're coming to get me, they don't want to let me
Stay in the bright light too long.
It's getting on noon now, it's goin to be soon now.
But oh, what a wonderful sound !

Mama, won't you nurse me ?
Rain me down the sweet milk of your kindness.
Mama, it's getting worse for me.
Won't you please make me warm and mindless ?

Mama, yes you have cursed me.
I never will forgive you for your blindness.
I hate you!

The wires are all humming for me.
And I can hear them coming for me.
Soon they'll be here, but there's nothing to fear.
Not any more though they've blasted the door.

As the copter dropped the gas he shouted " Who cares ?" .
They could hear him laughing as they started up the stairs.
As they stormed out on the catwalk, blinking at the sun,
With their final fusillade his answer had come.

Am I ?
There is no way that you can hide me.
Am I ?
Though you have put your fire inside me.
Am I ?
You've given me my answer can't you see ?
I was !
I am !
and now I Will Be
I WILL BE

Mark
04-10-2005, 08:44 AM
"Between the Bars" by Elliott Smith

butchy stubbs
04-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Sniper
by Harry Chapin

It is an early Monday morning.
The sun is becoming bright on the land.
No one is watching as he comes a walking.
Two bulky suitcases hang from his hands.

He heads towards the tower that stands in the campus.
He goes through the door, he starts up the stairs.
The sound of his footsteps, the sound of his breathing,
The sound of the silence when no one was there.

I didn't really know him.
He was kind of strange.
Always sort of sat there.
He never seemed to change.

He reached the catwalk. He put done his burden.
The four sided clock began to chime.
Seven AM, the day is beginning.
So much to do and so little time.

He looks at the city where no one had known him.
He looks at the sky where no one looks down.
He looks at his life and what it has shown him.
He looks for his shadow it cannot be found.

He was such a moody child, very hard to touch.
Even as a baby he never smiled too much. No no.No no.

You bug me, she said.
Your ugly, she said.
Please hug me, I said.
But she just sat there
With the same flat stare
That she saves for me alone
When I'm home.
When I'm home.
Take me home.

He laid out the rifles, he loaded the shotgun,
He stacked up the cartridges along the wall.
He knew he would need them for his conversation.
If it went as it he planned, then he might use them all.

He said Listen you people I've got a question
You won't pay attention but I'll ask anyhow.
I found a way that will get me an answer.
Been waiting to ask you 'till now.
Right now !

Am I ?
I am a lover whose never been kissed.
Am I ?
I am a fighter whose not made a fist.
Am I ?
If I'm alive then there's so much I've missed.
How do I know I exist ?
Am I ?

The first words he spoke took the town by surprise.
One got Mrs. Gibbons above her right eye.
It blew her through the window wedged her against the door.
Reality poured from her face, staining the floor.

He was kind of creepy,
Sort of a dunce.
I met him at the corner bar.
I only dated the poor boy once,
That's all. Just once, that was all.

Bill Whedon was questioned as stepped from his car.
Tom Scott ran across the street but he never got that far.
The police were there in minutes, they set up baricades.
He spoke right on over them in a half-mile circle.
In a dumb struck city his pointed questions were sprayed.

He knocked over Danny Tyson as he ran towards the noise.
Just about then the answers started comming. Sweet, sweet joy.
Thudding in the clock face, whining off the walls,
Reaching up to where he sat there, answering calls.

Thirty-seven people got his message so far.
Yes, he was reaching them right were they are.

They set up an assault team. They asked for volunteers.
They had to go and get him, that much was clear.
And the word spread about him on the radios and TV's.
In appropriately sober tone they asked "Who can it be ?"

He was a very dull boy, very taciturn.
Not much of a joiner, he did not want to learn.
No no.No no.

They're coming to get me, they don't want to let me
Stay in the bright light too long.
It's getting on noon now, it's goin to be soon now.
But oh, what a wonderful sound !

Mama, won't you nurse me ?
Rain me down the sweet milk of your kindness.
Mama, it's getting worse for me.
Won't you please make me warm and mindless ?

Mama, yes you have cursed me.
I never will forgive you for your blindness.
I hate you!

The wires are all humming for me.
And I can hear them coming for me.
Soon they'll be here, but there's nothing to fear.
Not any more though they've blasted the door.

As the copter dropped the gas he shouted " Who cares ?" .
They could hear him laughing as they started up the stairs.
As they stormed out on the catwalk, blinking at the sun,
With their final fusillade his answer had come.

Am I ?
There is no way that you can hide me.
Am I ?
Though you have put your fire inside me.
Am I ?
You've given me my answer can't you see ?
I was !
I am !
and now I Will Be
I WILL BE I'm a big fan of Harry (The storyteller) Chapin but i never heard of that song.I'll have to find out what album it's off of. It reminds me a lot of Peter Gabriel's "Family snapshot"

Big Jim
04-10-2005, 06:55 PM
All you guys' picks are downright upbeat to me (except Hurt and Mad World), here's mine:

Ben Folds Five: Brick
Elliot Smith: Needle In The Hay
Neil Young: Needle And The Damage Done
Bad Religion: Boot Stamping On A Human Face
Boomtown Rats: I Don't Like Mondays
Bruce Springsteen: Well, Nebraska (the whole fucking album) and the acoustic version of Born In The USA)
David Bowie: God Knows I'm Good
Jim Carroll: People Who Died
Suicide Is Painless: Any version with lyics, especially Manic Street Preachers
Pet Shop Boys: Rent
Nirvana: All Apologies
Beck: Sea Changes, the entire fucking album
Berlin: Pink & Velvet (an amazingly intense song about Herion, with a solo by David Gilmour!!)
Johnny Cash: I Hung My Head
K's Choice: Not An Addict

And the odd choices
Badfinger: No Matter What (considering this band ending with two suicides, I find this song hopelessly ironic)
Turtles: Happy Together (it sounds so fucking sad I could cry)

james michael
04-10-2005, 07:05 PM
nin- hurt (gwyllgi was right, the cash version blew)
tori amos- winter
paul oakenfold- lux aeterna
fiona apple- i know
radiohead- talkshow host

Brian Defferding
04-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Buddy Guy's A Man and the Blues

What can a poor man do, you know when the blues keep following him around
What can a poor man do, you know when the blues keep following him around
Give him a half pint of good liquor and sit down and drink it all down.
You know, sometimes I feel, I feel like drinkin' me some gasoline
You know, sometimes I feel, I feel like drinkin' me some gasoline
Strikin' me a match and blow myself up in steam
I think I'm gonna move on back down south,
you know where the water tastes like cherry wine
I think I'm gonna move on back down south,
you know where the water tastes like cherry wine
Because this crap of whiskey and water tastes to me like turpentine.

-------------------------------------------------

BB King's How Blue Can You Get?

Been downhearted baby
Ever since the day we met
I’ve been downhearted baby
Our love is nothin’ but the blues
Baby how blue can you get

My love is like a fire
Your love is like a cigarett
My love is like a fire
But baby yours is like a cigarette
I watch you step down on it baby and crush it
Tell me how, tell me how, how blue can you get

You’re evil when I’m with you
And you’re jealous when we’re apart
Yes you’re evil when I’m with you baby
Lord have mercy, you’re jealous when we’re apart
How blue can you get
The answer's right here in my heart

I gave you a brand new ford
And you just said I want a cadillac
I bought you a ten dollar dinner
You said thanks for the snack
I let you live in my penthouse
You said it was just a shack
I gave you seven children
And now you wanna give ’em back

I’ve been downhearted baby
Our love is nothin’ but the blues
Baby how blue can you get
---------------------------------------------

Some of my fave's :cool:

silverboy
04-10-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm a big fan of Harry (The storyteller) Chapin but i never heard of that song.I'll have to find out what album it's off of. It reminds me a lot of Peter Gabriel's "Family snapshot"

It's, by far, his most epic masterpiece. It's about 10 minutes long and changes tempos/time signatures/keys depending on who's controlling the narration. It's just fucking intense, especially if you know the true story that it's based off.

04-11-2005, 04:17 AM
fiona apple- i know

I fucking love that song.

madmartigan
04-11-2005, 04:31 AM
Fast Train
by Van Morrison (there's also a really good bluesy version from Solomon Burke)

Well you've been on a fast train and it's going off the rails
And you can't come back can't come back together again
And you start breaking down
In the pouring rain
Well you've been on a fast train

When your lover has gone away don't it make you feet so sad
And you go on a journey way into the land
'Cos you're under the strain
And you jump on a fast train

You had to go on the lam you stepped into no-man's land
Ain't nobody here on your waveband
Ain't nobody gonna give you a helping hand
And just go into the sound
When you hear that fast train

And you keep moving on to the sound of the wheels
And deep inside your heart you really know oh, just how it feels
And you start breaking down and go into the pain
Keep on moving on a fast train

You're way over the line next thing you're out of your mind
And you're out of your depth in through the window she crept
Oh there's nowhere to go in the sleet and the snow

Just keep on moving on a fast train

You had to go on the lam stepping in no-man's land
Ain't nobody here on your waveband
Nobody even gonna lend you a helping hand
Oh and you're so alone can you really make it on your own
Keep on moving on a fast train

Oh going nowhere, except on a fast train
Oh trying to get away from the past
Oh keep on moving keep on moving on a fast train
Going nowhere, across the desert sand, through the barren waste
On a fast train going nowhere
On a fast train going nowhe

Jade
04-11-2005, 04:32 AM
Rabbit in your Headlights- Unkle
Hurt- NIN
Save Me- Aimee Mann
Wise Up- Aimee Mann

And that's just off the top of my head... so, I will save #5 for when I've had a chance to give it thought.

04-11-2005, 04:45 AM
BLOODLESS
by Tom McRea

This train don't stop at the stations of the cross
No reasons left to believe
Trying to stay awake gave yourself a caffeine headache
To hide the taste of sleep

In choosing to forget you cut away the safety net that holds your heart, holds your heart
And you go in search of youth touching up your empire roots
But these days we don't know how to march
Satisfied with a knife in your spine you're bloodless

So tell me again what am I feeling you know me so well
So what am I feeling and how can you tell
I've got a feeling you don't know

We think that we're the ones we're the bright unconquered suns
Wait a while we'll watch the light grow stale
And we smell so very clean but we're the
Oil in this machine and this machine
This machine is going wrong

So choose your sides when it comes to the fight you're bloodless
So tell me again what am I feeling you know me so well

You choose your side but in the fight I see your blood run white, your blood run white
And I've seen it all before and I see it again

And I see it again
So what am I feeling you know me so well

So tell me again now what am I feeling you know me so well
I've got a feeling

So tell me again now what am I feeling you know me so well

a_garza
04-11-2005, 04:50 AM
pink floyd - wish you were here, comfortably numb
and depending on how i feel great gig in the sky
sometimes it makes me really hopeful sometimes it mkes me realize how close to death we really are
blink 182 adams song
bush glycerine

and
peices of me
j/k

Jade
04-11-2005, 04:51 AM
pink floyd - wish you were here, comfortably numb
and depending on how i feel great gig in the sky
sometimes it makes me really hopeful sometimes it mkes me realize how close to death we really are
blink 182 adams song
bush glycerine

and
peices of me
j/k

Yeah, Wish You Were Here is definitely a very sad song... that one might round out my list...

Jim T.
04-11-2005, 06:00 AM
Mine:

Beatles - "Cry Baby Cry"
Pink Floyd - "Wish You were Here"
Harry Chapin - "Cat's in the Cradle"
Replacements "Nobody"
Pogues "Waltzing Matilda"

Colin Boylan
04-11-2005, 06:36 AM
The Smiths - "I Know It's Over"
The Smiths - "Asleep"

Rescue Ranger
04-11-2005, 07:02 AM
"I Have No Distance Left to Run" by Blur

"The Luckiest" by Ben Folds (beautiful song, not depressing as much as really moving)

"Butterfly" and "Across the Sea" both by Weezer

and "True Love Waits" by Radiohead

Thats my five.

DaGetHighKnight
04-11-2005, 08:00 AM
That song From "Family Ties" when Alex breaks up with his girl at the train station is the saddest song ever!!

a_garza
04-11-2005, 08:03 AM
don't take the girl tim mcgraw

The Robot Lord of Tokyo
04-11-2005, 08:09 AM
One song that always gets in me in the mood for some wrist-slitting action is "Everybody hurts" by REM.
Just sit in a dark room and let that song consume your soul..........

butchy stubbs
04-11-2005, 10:20 AM
It's, by far, his most epic masterpiece. It's about 10 minutes long and changes tempos/time signatures/keys depending on who's controlling the narration. It's just fucking intense, especially if you know the true story that it's based off.
Thanks. I just checked and i do have it on a double cd called the gold medal collection so i'm going to check it out. Do yourself a favor and check out Peter Gabriels "Family snapshot" live version as i mentioned before. It's the same type thing and also based on a true story. Probably my favorite song by Gabriel.

gwyllgi
04-11-2005, 10:26 AM
"Don't Take the Girl" actually made me cry the first time I heard it... yeah, there are some really sad country songs.

gwyllgi
04-11-2005, 10:28 AM
"Beautiful" by Tapping the Vein
since I finally found the lyrics.

Please, I don't know what you're saying
It all sounds like mud to me
There's a man here, I've seen his face
He's sure I'll reconise him and he's
Breathing all his hate on me
He binds my wrists and he throws me down
And I can't see
Wake me
I hope I'm dreaming
I am beautiful
I'm beautiful
Wake me
There must be some mistake
No, I don't hear what I'm hearing
Fear, you are my new best friend
'Cause these wicked boys brought their pieces
And their itchy fingers
And the panic crawls into my throat
'Cause I turn my head and they're looking at me
And I can't scream
Save me, I think I'm bleeding
I am beautiful
I'm beautiful
Save me
And I can't scream
I can't scream
I'm bleeding
I am beautiful
I'm beautiful
Save me
Save me
Look, I'm bleeding
I am beautiful
I'm beautiful
Save me
There must be some mistake...

To know that was written about their friend, who got shot down in a robbery at some convience store... I dunno. It's more close to home than songs about war or even drug addiction.

also "Luka" by Susan Vega... I think? That song's fucking depressing

badpoet
04-11-2005, 11:51 AM
I'll second "Luka".

Pretty much anything by Morrissey qualifies.

"I Will Not Take These Things For Granted" by Toad the Wet Sprocket is depressing just for me, as it was the first song I danced with my wife (now ex-wife) to at our wedding.

This gem by the Crash Test Dummies qualifies in my book:

"At My Funeral"

I'm still young, but I know my days are numbered
1234567 and so on
But a time will come when these numbers have all ended
And all I've ever seen will be forgotten

[CHORUS]
Won't you come
To my funeral when my days are done
Life's not long
And so I hope when I am finally dead and gone
That you'll gather round when I am lowered into the ground

When my coffin is sealed and I'm safely 6 feet under
Perhaps my friends will see fit then to judge me
Oh when they pause to consider all my blunders
I hope they won't be too quick to begrudge me

If I should die before I wake up
I pray that the Lord my soul will take but
My body, my body - that's your job

I can't be sure where I'm headed after death
To heaven, hell, or beyond to that Great Vast
But if I can I would like to meet my Maker
There's one or two things I'd sure like to ask

And then there's this...

One More Time Lyrics
by The Cure

I'd love to touch the sky tonight
I'd love to touch the sky
So take me in your arms
And lift me like a child
And hold me up so high
And never let me go
Take me
Take me in your arms tonight

Hold me
Hold me up so high
And never let me down
Hold me
Hold me up so high
To touch the sky
Just one more time

Take me in your arms tonight
Take me in your arms
Just one more time
Just one more time
Just one more time

I don't get finding "Fake Plastic Trees" depressing though, it's beautiful and haunting but not really depressing to me.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Hallelujah- the Jeff Buckley cover
Me and a Gun-Tori Amos
Where Did You Sleep Last Night?-Nirvana Unplugged
Suzanne-Leonard Cohen
Goodnight, Irene-The Greatful Dead

Mark
04-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Rabbit in your Headlights- Unkle
Hurt- NIN
Save Me- Aimee Mann
Wise Up- Aimee Mann

And that's just off the top of my head... so, I will save #5 for when I've had a chance to give it thought.
High five on the UNKLE.

james michael
04-11-2005, 12:59 PM
High five on the UNKLE.
as much as i like radiohead, the massive attack mix is better...

butchy stubbs
04-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Since someone mentioned Morrissey I think "Everyday Is Like Sunday" is his best and probably most depressing songs.

butchy stubbs
04-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Artist: Swans
Song: God Damn The Sun

When, When We Were Young
We Had No History
So Nothing To Lose
Meant We Could Choose
Choose What We Wanted Then
Without Any Fear
Or Thought Of Revenge
But Then You Grew Old
And I Lost My Ambition
So I Gained An Addiction
To Drink And Depression
(They Are Mine
My Only True Friends
And I'll Keep Them With Me
Until The Very End)
I'd Choose Not To Remember
But I Miss Your Arrogance
And I Need Your Intelligence
And Your Hate For Authority
But Now You're Gone
I Read It Today
They Found You In Spain
Face Down In The Street
With A Bottle In Your Hand
And A Wild Smile On Your Face
And A Knife In Your Back
You Died In A Foreign Land
And They Found My Letter
Rolled Up In Your Pocket
Where I Said I'd Kill Myself
If She Left Me Again
So Now She's Gone
And You're Both In My Mind
I've Got One Thing To Say
Before I Am Drunk Again:
God Damn The Sun
God Damn The Sun
God Damn Anyone
That Says A Kind Word
God Damn The Sun
God Damn The Sun
God Damn The Light It Shines
And This World It Shows
God Damn The Sun

butchy stubbs
04-11-2005, 02:21 PM
So has anyone else heard of Swans besides me?
Artist: Swans
Song: Song For Dead Time

Now the past is untrue, and this breath is a lie
And the sun is an emptiness, that burns through the sky
And this ground it will slide down, down into the sea
And when this body dies, no man will ever breath one word
Of ignorance, for me
So bury your trust beneath the ground with me
And lay your loneliness down for the sun to consume

Now the earth bleeds cold water, in my open hands
But their bodies bleed poison, and they swallow the sand
And we'll walk to the river, where we will die of a thirst
And my fate, it's no question: every fool he is broken
Beneath the same holy curse
So bury your trust beneath the ground with me
And lay your loneliness down for the sun to burn, to sand

kubiak
04-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Did anyone mention "Brick" by Ben Fold's Five? God damn, that's a sad song!

badpoet
04-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I have a Swan's CD kicking around somewhere. Good stuff, it's on my MP3 player and it pops up on shuffle periodically.