PDA

View Full Version : Ever had to work with/for someone famous...

Fourthman
01-26-2006, 02:22 PM
...whose work you either hated or were indifferent towards? Because I might be getting into that situation. I'm sure this person is nice and professional (maybe not, though) and I just wanted to hear from people who've been through this same apprehension. And of course, yes, I'm attention whoring, and no I'm not saying who it is until I'm sure it's going to happen. I will say that I only know of one person on this board who's a fan of this person, and no, it isn't Cher.

Criden
01-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Oh yes. I was just talking to someone about it the other day, too. It's not terrible, but it is awkward.

mike black
01-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Who'd you work for Criden?

Ben
01-26-2006, 02:25 PM
George Bush?

alexlannin
01-26-2006, 02:26 PM
I worked for Ben Stiller, who I was a fan of, and still enjoy his work, but I was disappointed that his nice guy act was only that, an act.

AAlgar
01-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Is it me? I have one fan.

Fourthman
01-26-2006, 02:28 PM
George Bush?
My person is an entertainer by intent.

CraigM
01-26-2006, 02:29 PM
My person is an entertainer by intent.
It ain't Cedric is it?

Craig

Fourthman
01-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Is it me? I have one fan.
DON'T JINX IT!!

mike black
01-26-2006, 02:31 PM
It ain't Cedric is it?

Craig

Zing.

Fourthman
01-26-2006, 02:32 PM
It ain't Cedric is it?

Craig
Has that guy ever entertained you? Dude was in a bad Coen Bros. film. Coincidence? I think not.

CraigM
01-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Has that guy ever entertained you? Dude was in a bad Coen Bros. film. Coincidence? I think not.

What's funny is that I'm watching the Original Kings of Comedy and Cedric is doing his thing now.

"I wish a muthafucka would be in my seats!"

So, is it Cedric?

Craig

Genius J
01-26-2006, 02:35 PM
I have worked for several celebrities on a work-for-hire or contractual basis.

They were all dicks.

Fourthman
01-26-2006, 02:36 PM
What's funny is that I'm watching the Original Kings of Comedy and Cedric is doing his thing now.

"I wish a muthafucka would be in my seats!"

So, is it Cedric?

Craig
Nah, it would mean more comedy for me, but it's not (necessarily) a comedian.

Smokinblues
01-26-2006, 02:41 PM
I have worked for several celebrities on a work-for-hire or contractual basis.

They were all dicks.

You hear that often enough that I wonder if they do it on purpose to avoid problems with employees getting too friendly.

RøcketFrøg
01-26-2006, 02:46 PM
By person, do you mean Foghat?

Jonny Z
01-26-2006, 02:48 PM
i worked for bill s preston esquire

he was ok, although he was barely in the office.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Christopher Durang, Will Smith, Jeff Townes

bartleby
01-26-2006, 02:49 PM
I will say that I only know of one person on this board who's a fan of this person, and no, it isn't Cher.

Cher posts on this board?! What's her screenname?

Smokinblues
01-26-2006, 02:50 PM
I worked a book signing for Newt Gingrich once. I shook his hand. Funny, there's still this funny little symbol where our palms met.

mike black
01-26-2006, 02:52 PM
I worked a book signing for Newt Gingrich once. I shook his hand. Funny, there's still this funny little symbol where our palms met.

Does it look like this?
http://www.100megsfree4.com/stimso/baphomet.gif

Fourthman
01-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Cher posts on this board?! What's her screenname?
Shwicaz, duh.

AAlgar
01-26-2006, 02:57 PM
As far as an actual answer to your problem... no, I haven't worked with anyone famous, but I have worked with people whose work I didn't respect. Really didn't affect me. I check my soul at the door when I go to work.

Smokinblues
01-26-2006, 02:59 PM
As far as an actual answer to your problem... no, I haven't worked with anyone famous, but I have worked with people whose work I didn't respect. Really didn't affect me. I check my soul at the door when I go to work.

but yours is detachable. we don't all have that option.

TheKraken
01-26-2006, 03:02 PM
I had to work when Three Doors Down signed records in the shop I worked for in '99, before they even had a national record deal (It was ridiculous how popular the crappy local version of their crappy first album was). I hate those fuckers as "musicians" and as people. So I refused to have anything to do with them and did the regular store stuff no one else could do 'cuz they were bringing them food & drinks and trying to control the crowd.

This isn't helping at all, is it? :lol:

RøcketFrøg
01-26-2006, 03:04 PM
In an old job I had I had phone contact with Julia Child, Bob Villa, and Frank Oz once. Julie was kind of a sweet old bat most of the time. Villa always seeemed like a dick.

SAVETHEB
01-26-2006, 03:07 PM
i have tony curtis and wayne newton as customers at my pharmacy...if that counts

TonyFleecs
01-26-2006, 03:08 PM
I've worked on some music videos for bands who make music I'm pretty indifferent to.

I just don't worry about it, they're only people & obviously SOMEBODY likes what they do so I have respect for them on that level.

On a positive note, the video we're working on right now is for an amazing group & we've got som kick ass colaborators.

RøcketFrøg
01-26-2006, 03:09 PM
i have tony curtis and wayne newton as customers at my pharmacy...if that counts
Did you give Wayne his Oxy wrapped in panties?

TIP
01-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Did you give Wayne his Oxy wrapped in panties?

Shit...I thought that was Tom Jones' order.

FUCK.

T

TheKraken
01-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Shit...I thought that was Tom Jones' order.

FUCK.

T

It's not unusual...

RøcketFrøg
01-26-2006, 03:31 PM
It's not unusual...
WINNAH!!!

TIP
01-26-2006, 03:34 PM
It's not unusual...

YOUNG NEW MEXICAN PUPPETEER!!!

T

Cth
01-26-2006, 03:36 PM
I had to do the Indigo Girls laundry and fix their laptop once as well as drive their drummer around to look for a guitar.

Past that, ended up having to put up with David Spade who must have been having a bad day as we've discussed in the past.

Either way, Ron Zimmerman isn't THAT bad :D He always used to invite me to stuff all the time but I never got to go being on the east coast and all.

TIP
01-26-2006, 03:39 PM
I had to do the Indigo Girls laundry

:lol:

Oh, shit...I can't stop laughing at that sentence, Cth.

Mind if I use it for my own nefarious purposes?

T

princess phoenix
01-26-2006, 03:42 PM
I like how everybody except for TheKraken name-drops the fact that they have had horrible celeberity experiences but at the same time are too bothered to eleberate on it.

Jonny Z
01-26-2006, 03:43 PM
I like how everybody except for TheKraken name-drops the fact that they have had horrible celeberity experiences but at the same time are too bothered to eleberate on it.

cuz we're not attention whores :roll:

princess phoenix
01-26-2006, 03:44 PM
No, instead you just tease us with an intresting story and don't follow through.

Jonny Z
01-26-2006, 03:46 PM
No, instead you just tease us with an intresting story and don't follow through.

i worked for bill s preston esquire's production company that was slowly being phased out of business and into another company he had a partnership with.

he was really short and never called me dude.

he had a cute kid.

other than that, the only interesting thing i have is that i had to quit because they stuck me with the job of moviing furniture between offices for a whole week, and on the last day, on the last filing cabinet i had to move, i threw out my back pretty bad.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-26-2006, 03:46 PM
i didn't have any horrible experiences, i just don't particuarly care for their work, with the exception of Durang, i just didn't like that particular show

Cth
01-26-2006, 03:49 PM
:lol:

Oh, shit...I can't stop laughing at that sentence, Cth.

Mind if I use it for my own nefarious purposes?

T

Sure, go for it.

I seriously thought about "losing" some and putting it on Ebay.. but really, who'd believe me and/or want it?

I gotta admit though, it was fun when their tour manager said his laptop broke and he wanted to know if I could find a repair shop in town. I told him I was certified and I could fix it, which I did.

He ended up buying a ton of pizzas for the entire show staff and got them to sign a t-shirt for what it's worth :D

BronxRonin
01-26-2006, 03:51 PM
a close friend of mine G.... worked / personal Chef to Jerry Seinfeld...even lived with them out in the hamptons. loved it

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-26-2006, 03:57 PM
a close friend of mine G.... worked / personal Chef to Jerry Seinfeld...even lived with them out in the hamptons. loved it
what's the deal......with this turkey club?

now the turkey, the turkey i can see
but where's the club?
i don't see the club, do you see the club?
where is the club?
WHERE IS THE CLUB?

BronxRonin
01-26-2006, 04:02 PM
what's the deal......with this turkey club?

now the turkey, the turkey i can see
but where's the club?
i don't see the club, do you see the club?
where is the club?
WHERE IS THE CLUB?
lol

CapnChaos
01-26-2006, 04:30 PM
I worked in a university theater and we had folks like Weird Al play a concert and some fairly big name politicos come through (mainly Clinton cabinet members, it seemed like) but I didn't really have any interaction with them. So I have NOTHING.

I did hear that Al was trying to look up the skirts of the cheerleaders they brought on for Smells like Nirvana, though...

bartleby
01-26-2006, 04:33 PM

Worse... you're attention teases.

SAVETHEB
01-26-2006, 04:48 PM
tony curtis was cool. he came to the pharmacy and told us a story about how he used to fuck marilyn monroe and such

Fourthman
01-26-2006, 04:50 PM
I'd heard he'd fucked such.

Criden
01-26-2006, 05:24 PM

Good point. But, there's really no story and I'm not going to just name-drop.

TenStoryMother
01-26-2006, 05:33 PM
My boss is an entertainer and really nice person to boot! I guess not all celebrities are dicks.

Kensington
01-26-2006, 06:01 PM
I kind of thought that Sam Rockwell was hitting on me four years ago, but if he isn't gay, then I misread his abundant friendliness. He was a very nice guy. :lol:

Kensington
01-26-2006, 06:03 PM
I worked for Ben Stiller, who I was a fan of, and still enjoy his work, but I was disappointed that his nice guy act was only that, an act.How bad did it get? Was he agressively abusive or merely aloof?

TonyFleecs
01-26-2006, 06:37 PM
How bad did it get? Was he agressively abusive or merely aloof?
I hear it's pretty bad. Like his cameo on extras wasn't a stretch at all.

amy
01-26-2006, 06:59 PM
I had to work when Three Doors Down signed records in the shop I worked for in '99, before they even had a national record deal (It was ridiculous how popular the crappy local version of their crappy first album was). I hate those fuckers as "musicians" and as people. So I refused to have anything to do with them and did the regular store stuff no one else could do 'cuz they were bringing them food & drinks and trying to control the crowd.

They are jackasses and lousy tippers. Left one of my servers $3.00 and took up the table for 3+ hours.

PeterSparker
01-26-2006, 07:32 PM
I will say that I only know of one person on this board who's a fan of this person, and no, it isn't Cher.

Pierre Bernard? :mistrust:

http://www.emmys.tv/events/2005/images/conan.pierre.jpg

jza1218
01-26-2006, 08:50 PM
I've worked signings for comic celebrities if that counts and talked to many celebrities that shop in the store. They've always been super-nice

mike black
01-26-2006, 08:52 PM

Oh, Rexy! You're So Sexy!

mike black
01-26-2006, 08:56 PM
I'll just say that I've smoked weed with Chris Barnes. And about five people on this board are cracking up right now.

I also was with a friend when he sold painkillers to Dave Brockie. ;)

chris page
01-26-2006, 11:59 PM
i wound up drinking with the guys in goldfinger when they played a show at my college (i was part of the stage crew). very cool guys with very fun stories. we had a few other people show up and play shows (the wallflowers, save ferris, etc), and the ones i met were all very nice.

Dr. Blasphemy
01-27-2006, 04:31 AM
I've worked signings for comic celebrities if that counts and talked to many celebrities that shop in the store. They've always been super-nice

There are comic celebs?......yeah,right! :)

My band opened for just about every 80's rock band you can think of, most were cool (Kip Winger, Vixen), a few were stand offish (Slaughter), a couple were funny thinking they were "the shit" (Enuff Z' Nuff), and L.A. Guns were just dicks!

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
01-27-2006, 04:44 AM
Joan Rivers?

Fourthman
01-27-2006, 06:00 AM
Joan Rivers?
Closest yet, but not necessarily a comedian.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
01-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Closest yet, but not necessarily a comedian.
Going from memory of the one fan that I think you're talking about:
Bette Midler, Pam Anderson, or ... Barbara Streisand?

Fourthman
01-27-2006, 06:34 AM
No comment.

Dr. Blasphemy
01-27-2006, 06:39 AM
I'm thinking Bette!
(he mentioned Cher earlier and she is the OTHER gay hero)