PDA

View Full Version : Godfather film director whacks Godfather game

KAK
04-09-2005, 12:11 AM
By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot
POSTED: 04/08/05 05:31 PM PST

Francis Ford Coppola is none too pleased with Electronic Arts' adaptation of his classic mob movie.
When Electronic Arts announced it was adapting The Godfather last year, many cinephiles wondered how the operatic mafia drama would translate into a game. Then this year, it was revealed that Robert Duvall, James Caan, and the late Marlon Brando had all recorded voice-overs for it. The involvement of the stars gave the project a big boost in the credibility department, raising hopes for the game.

Now, however, the man primarily responsible for The Godfather film is speaking out against the Godfather game. According to several wire services, writer-director Francis Ford Coppola expressed his displeasure with Paramount Pictures for selling off the game rights on the American Movie Classics cable network show Sunday Morning ShootOut.

"I knew nothing about it. They never asked me if I thought it was a good idea," he reportedly said. His ire was further riled when he was given a preview build of the game by EA. "They use the characters everyone knows, and then for the next hour they shoot and kill each other. I had absolutely nothing to do with the game, and I disapprove," he was quoted as saying.

The Godfather game is slated for a fourth quarter 2005 release for the PC, PSP, Xbox, and PlayStation 2. EA, its developer and publisher, has said it will be rated "M" for Mature. GameSpot's previous coverage has more information on the film adaptation.

Matt Jay
04-09-2005, 12:36 PM
What a fuddy-duddy. The game does look stupid though.

V-Man
04-09-2005, 01:36 PM
If Coppola doesent approve than neither do I. Those films are some of the best ever made, and there is no way a video game adaptation can come close.

Keep on Truckin,

V-Man

V-Man
04-09-2005, 01:38 PM
If Coppola doesn't approve than neither do i. Those films are some of, if not the best ever made. I absolutely love and worship the beautiful cinematography, great directing and amazing acting every time i watch them. For me there is no way a video game adaptation can even come close to replicating that.

Keep on Truckin,

V-Man

Opus Croakus
04-09-2005, 01:39 PM
I'll take a pass on buying this game. Sounds like a horrible idea.

sonnylarue
04-09-2005, 01:58 PM
wait till Francis sees the Appocalypse Now game.

THEN the shit will hit the fan.

Ray G.
04-09-2005, 02:02 PM
I can't wait for the Citizen Kane game. Can YOU find Rosebud?

Matt Jay
04-09-2005, 02:05 PM
They'll probably release a Watchmen game after the movie comes out. How could that not suck?....I'd still play it.

stevapalooza
04-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Well I for one am STOKED about the game. It's going to be a GTA style adventure game that lets you roam around 1940's NY and work your way up thru the Corleone family. Come on, that sounds great!

And look at these screenshots

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/snafu1056/godfather1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/snafu1056/godfather2.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/snafu1056/godfather3.jpg

Screw Coppola. This looks awesome.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
04-09-2005, 02:30 PM
I think this outburst has less to do with the game, and more to do with the fact that Francis is known less as "One of the best directors of his generation", and more as "Father of Sofia".

Mr. E!
04-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Dibs on playing Sonny!

Los
04-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Those screenshots do look nice. I guess were going to have to wait and see...