PDA

View Full Version : Google Cooperates with Chinese

Bradford
01-25-2006, 12:20 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/BUSINESS/01/24/google.china.ap/index.html

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Online search engine leader Google Inc. has agreed to censor its results in China, adhering to the country's free-speech restrictions in return for better access in the Internet's fastest growing market.

The Mountain View, Calif.-based company planned to roll out a new version of its search engine bearing China's Web suffix ".cn," on Wednesday. A Chinese-language version of Google's search engine has previously been available through the company's dot-com address in the United States.

By creating a unique address for China, Google hopes to make its search engine more widely available and easier to use in the world's most populous country.

Because of government barriers set up to suppress information, Google's China users previously have been blocked from using the search engine or encountered lengthy delays in response time.

The service troubles have frustrated many Chinese users, hobbling Google's efforts to expand its market share in a country that expected to emerge as an Internet gold mine over the next decade.

China already has more than 100 million Web surfers and the audience is expected to swell substantially -- an alluring prospect for Google as it tries to boost its already rapidly rising profits.

and so on and so on....

This is the worst news I've heard in a while. Who gives a crap about Google stiffing the US government when they're cooperating with the Chinese to increase marketshare abroad? This is terrible news. Are they officially evil now?

xyzzy
01-25-2006, 12:22 PM
In their defense, it's not like not cooperating would have brought free speech to China or something.

mike black
01-25-2006, 12:22 PM

and so on and so on....

This is the worst news I've heard in a while. Who gives a crap about Google stiffing the US government when they're cooperating with the Chinese to increase marketshare abroad? This is terrible news. Are they officially evil now?

Agreed. But someone nailed it in the last discussion. It's really not about ethics, but dollars and cents. Sad, isn't it?

mike black
01-25-2006, 12:24 PM
In their defense, it's not like not cooperating would have brought free speech to China or something.

Speaking of free speech, did you see that History Channel documentary on Tienneman Square?

Bradford

true true, but people should wake up and realize what's really going on. Google has major cred amongst certain groups people as a brand and this really subverts all of that.

xyzzy
Speaking of free speech, did you see that History Channel documentary on Tienneman Square?

No. Was it good?

Jim T.
01-25-2006, 12:25 PM

and so on and so on....

I don't get the outrage over this. Why should Google do anything but comply with local laws? It's not their job to provide free speech rights to the Chinese people - it's their job to make money for their investors by selling advertising. By complying with Chinese directives, they're able to do so in China. If a Chinese company comes over here, they have to do what our government says as well - and people would be angry if they didn't. You want to be pissed at someone, be pissed at the Chinese government for the censorship and the Chinese people for doing nothing about it.

xyzzy
01-25-2006, 12:26 PM
true true, but people should wake up and realize what's really going on. Google has major cred amongst certain groups people as a brand and this really subverts all of that.

I suppose. I've never really thought of Google as a free-speech pioneer, though.

Bradford
01-25-2006, 12:38 PM
I don't get the outrage over this. Why should Google do anything but comply with local laws? It's not their job to provide free speech rights to the Chinese people - it's their job to make money for their investors by selling advertising. By complying with Chinese directives, they're able to do so in China. If a Chinese company comes over here, they have to do what our government says as well - and people would be angry if they didn't. You want to be pissed at someone, be pissed at the Chinese government for the censorship and the Chinese people for doing nothing about it.

I am pissed at the Chinese government and the Chinese people for not doing anything about it. The Chinese are bad news. I've got family that are high up in one of the big washing machine companies and the Chinese lured all the investors and shareholders into thinking they should invest heavily in Chinese production based on government promises of access to the Chinese market.....

they were sold beat up old factories that needed to be completely bull dozed and built up from scratch. The company went over, tried to make a go of it, found zero government support once they'd given their money over to them and eventually had to pull out so they didn't lose their shirts. It was a disaster.

The Chinese have us figured out. $$$. Its really kind of sad to see how whipped America is by our own greed and desire to get into the pants of their market. The Chinese dangle a slice of their market out for us, we pounce, vomiting money out our ears, and just when we're about ot make the sale they pull away and businesses are left there to get screwed over.

And you're totally right. Google is supposed to make money for it investors and all that. But then don't say that you're tagline is "Don't Be Evil" cause that won't wash with me when you go in with a country that puts people in jail for handing out Bibles. I'm sure there are Chinese people on here who will argue with me on this but I've seen nothing but us Americans getting our butts kicked when we try to go into China.

RebootedCorpse
01-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Rupert Murdoch does the same thing with the Chinese version of FOX "News."

Bradford
01-25-2006, 12:47 PM
...and is unequivocally acknowledged as soulless.

Smokinblues
01-25-2006, 01:03 PM
I suppose. I've never really thought of Google as a free-speech pioneer, though.

it has more to do with their self proclaimed "do no evil" motto. playing nice with the chinese government is perceived by many to be evil. Google has encouraged the perception that it holds itself to higher standards than other tech companies when it comes to things like this.

xyzzy
01-25-2006, 01:08 PM
it has more to do with their self proclaimed "do no evil" motto. playing nice with the chinese government is perceived by many to be evil. Google has encouraged the perception that it holds itself to higher standards than other tech companies when it comes to things like this.

Ah. I didn't even know that was their motto. Regardless, it doesn't seem that evil to me.

Smokinblues
01-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Ah. I didn't even know that was their motto. Regardless, it doesn't seem that evil to me.

i'm of two minds. i hate playing along with the chinese government. but, there's something to be said for changing from within too.

xyzzy
01-25-2006, 01:16 PM
i'm of two minds. i hate playing along with the chinese government. but, there's something to be said for changing from within too.

The more contact they have with the rest of the world, the faster they'll change. If we cut them off, it's just going to get worse.

Bradford
01-25-2006, 01:29 PM
See thats an interesting discussion to me. If we look at Cuba, a country we shunned because of communism (probably because Nike, Coca Cola didn't think it was worth the effort) the place has gone downhill and the people have had it rough. If we imposed stricter sanctions on the Chinese and "shut them out" i guess the thinking there is that it would lead to disaster for the Chinese people like in Cuba...is that the idea?

So instead we try to westernize China as much as possible. I always wonder what it is that makes us think the Chinese government would be dumb enough to let capitalism in so far that it subverts their control. Isn't it kind of foolish to presuppose that the Chinese government is that dumb? As soon as they've finished stealing all our trade secrets, technologies and business practices they'll simply shut us out again and that'll be that.

My dad always jokes that I'll know what it feels like to be British when I'm an old man, no offense to Brits. I wonder if China's supremacy is inevitable or something that is being actively brought about by our own mistakes and their cleverness...

sto110
01-25-2006, 01:34 PM
google is following hte law of the land, that is the law in china, here in the usa they are trying to break thier own rules. Thats why google will cooperate there and not here.