PDA

View Full Version : The “ignatz” Series!

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-21-2006, 02:15 PM
(cut and pasted from various things)

THE “IGNATZ” SERIES!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A brand new collection of internationally-produced comics designed midway between comic book "pamphlets" and graphic novels, at a very reasonable price, the "Ignatz" series will offer a rotating collection of exciting new series, all produced in a deluxe, oversize two-color format of jacketed saddle-stitched comics on thick, deluxe stock. The dozen contributors so far are from Great Britain (Matt Broersma), France (Epileptic's David B.), Italy (Francesca Ghermandi, the legendary Lorenzo Mattotti, and series founder Igort), RAW's Marti (Spain), and the U.S. (Anders Nilsen and Kevin Huizenga). The "Ignatzes" will be released in batches of three or four books every three months.

http://www.fantagraphics.com/recent/cmx/ignatzcmx/baobab1.jpg

Baobab #1 (Ignatz Series)
Igort
Manga fans will relish Baobab, a series set, a least initially, in Japan at the turn of the last century (during the Meji era), when a small, sickly, orphaned boy on the outskirts of Tokyo grows up hearing the stories his grandmother tells of her youth as the daughter of a Navy officer. This ambitious project, which will expand to cover 40 years and three continents (including South America, where the first creole cartoonist dreams of meeting Winsor McCay), is elegantly told and drawn by Igort, who rose to prominence with Drawn and Quarterly's 5 Is the Perfect Number as well as appearing in the last Comics Journal Special.
32-page 2-color saddlestitched 8 1/2” x 11", with jackets $7.95

http://www.fantagraphics.com/recent/cmx/ignatzcmx/innocents1.jpg

The Innocents #1 (Ignatz Series)
Gipi
A decade after his days as a roaming punk, Giuliano takes his nephew Andrea down to the seaside, his old stomping grounds, to visit with one of his old friends: Valerio, who has just finished serving a long prison sentence after having been framed, tortured and imprisoned by two rogue members of an anti-terrorist squad. The Innocent Ones, which includes two narrative tracks in different drawing styles, is a contemplative, beautifully drawn graphic novelette about these three characters' meeting. Future issues will focus on other members of this group of friends, a bit like Jaime Hernandez's "Locas" stories, with supporting characters stepping into the spotlight as former "lead" characters become part of the background...

http://www.fantagraphics.com/recent/cmx/ignatzcmx/insomnia1.jpg

Insomnia #1 (Ignatz Series)
Matt Broersma
This new ongoing series from the UK-based cartoonist Matt Broersma begins a Hunter S. Thompson-ishly intense and atmospheric tale of intrigue, mystery and interlocking lives. The first issue follows Marco Clay, sometime bartender, petty criminal and insurance company accountant, as he walks a fine line between necessity and the Texas Highway Patrol. Fleeing to Mexico City, Clay may avoid the cops, but will he fall into the clutches of a drug-runner with a taste for floral-print shirts? This first self-contained installment, part of a larger jigsaw, ranges from the highs of a caffeine rush to the depths of the human soul.

http://www.fantagraphics.com/recent/cmx/ignatzcmx/chimera1.jpg

Chimera #1 (Ignatz Series)
Lorenzo Mattotti
Long a superstar in his native Italy, Lorenzo Mattotti has made sporadic incursions into the U.S. via appearances in RAW magazine, the classic Fires graphic novel, and the more recent, 2003 Eisner-winning Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde adaptation from NBM. (Not to mention regular gigs in The New Yorker.) All of these previous works have showcased his full-color painter style, but Chimera, with its intricate, hyper-expressive swirls of crisp line work, shows that Mattotti's genius is bound by no single technique. A wordless fantasia of birth, death, gods, monsters, and humans, Chimera is the most astonishing visual narrative you'll see all year.

http://www.fantagraphics.com/recent/cmx/ignatzcmx/ganges1.jpg

Ganges #1 (Ignatz Series)
Kevin Huizenga
Kevin Huizenga introduces his everyman Glenn Ganges (previously seen in the acclaimed Drawn and Quarterly Showcase and Or Else) to the "Ignatz" family with this suite of all-new stories. Ganges tries to decide what to do when confronted with "The Litterer"; gets into an argument with his wife Wendy about The Beatles' "She's Leaving Home"; indulges in some whimsical "Time Traveling" while on a walk around his neighborhood; and more! Huizenga's elegant neo-clear-line style brings a crispness and humor to these low-key slice-of-life stories, and the gray-blue duotone he has picked gives the art a new depth and complexity.

http://www.fantagraphics.com/recent/cmx/ignatzcmx/interiorae1.jpg

Interiorae #1 (Ignatz Series)
Gabriella Giandelli
A high-rise apartment building in an unnamed European city. Its inhabitants come and go, meet each other, talk, dream, regret, hope... in short, live. A ghostly, shape-shifting anthropomorphic white rabbit roams from apartment to apartment, surveying and keeping track of all this humanity... and at the end of every night, he floats down to the basement where he delivers his report to the "great dark one." Lushly delineated in penciled sepia halftones, this debut "Ignatz" by Gabriella Giandelli offers a hauntingly unique vision and a tantalizingly open-ended beginning to an ongoing series.

i've already got Baobab and Chimera, and while i'm sure i'll be getting all of them at one point or another, Ganges' is on my must have it soon list

Blake Sims
01-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Im gonna get Ganges for sure
I saw Baobab today but I didnt get it, maybe Ill get it on my next trip

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-21-2006, 02:28 PM
wouldn't mind seeing some Canadian and South American creators in the line up

Damon Hurd
01-21-2006, 02:52 PM
i have all that have been released thus far. they are amazing, and i'm especially pleased to be able to see some cartoonists work that i might not usually due to translation and all.

i also really love the format. i'm thinking of doing the book i'm writing now in that size. it would be great for the artist i'm working with as well, his work will look amazing at that size and on that nice thick paper.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-21-2006, 02:52 PM
here's some upcoming
http://www.fantagraphics.com/blog/uploaded_images/moreignatz.jpg

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-21-2006, 02:55 PM
i have all that have been released thus far. they are amazing, and i'm especially pleased to be able to see some cartoonists work that i might not usually due to translation and all.

i also really love the format. i'm thinking of doing the book i'm writing now in that size. it would be great for the artist i'm working with as well, his work will look amazing at that size and on that nice thick paper.
oooo
sneak peek?

i'm loving the format, and i'd love to see Mazzucchelli do something in this context, maybe just a reprinting of Big Man

Damon Hurd
01-21-2006, 02:58 PM
i have a little blurb about in on my website, www.damonhurd.com

i will post a preview there once i have one.

it is in some ways a follow up to both my uncle jeff and the white elephant.

damon

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-21-2006, 03:00 PM
here's the release dates for the next few months

April/May release
Ignatz #7: Matt Broersma "Insomnia vol. 2"
Ignatz #8: David B "Babel vol. 2"
Ignatz #9: Gipi vol. 2 "They Found the Car"

To be released in July (premiering in San Diego)
Ignatz #10: Igort "Baobab vol. 2"
Ignatz #11: Leila Marzocchi "Niger vol. 1"
Ignatz #12: Gabriella Giandelli "Interiorae vol. 2"
Ignatz #13: Marti "Calvario Hills" vol. 1

To be released in September (premiering at SPX)
Ignatz #14: Kevin Huizenga "Ganges vol. 2"
Ignatz #15: Lorenzo Mattotti "Chimera vol. 2"
Ignatz #16: "Insomnia Vol. 3"

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-21-2006, 03:01 PM

damon
i look forward to it, do you have a publisher yet?

Damon Hurd
01-21-2006, 03:42 PM
i'm not sure.

i think it will either be alternative comics or self-published. it depends.

one way or the other, i'd like to have it out this summer.

natalie
01-21-2006, 04:27 PM
I have Baobab, Insomnia and The Innocents. I recommend all and highly recommend The Innocents.

St.-
01-21-2006, 04:29 PM
eh.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-21-2006, 04:33 PM
I recommend all and highly recommend The Innocents.
i just saw a page from the second issue and was blown away

andrew french
01-21-2006, 04:55 PM
i've seen Baobab many times; nathalie said good things about it.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-22-2006, 05:49 AM
i've seen Baobab many times; nathalie said good things about it.
it's good

andrew french
01-22-2006, 09:32 AM
it's good

i will buy it.

Mo_Soar
01-22-2006, 10:12 AM
I have the first three (Baobab, Innocents and Insomnia). I really enjoyed Innocents, thought Baobab was gorgeous and enjoyed the first story in Insomnia (more than the second story).

Somewhere I know I wrote short opinions on these... ahh, here:

Baobab Volume 1 (Written/drawn: Igort) The Previews solicits for this promised it would cover 40 years and several continents and we definitely have the locales going: Japan, Africa, South America. Each of the narrative parts are fairly complete in themselves, but the connection between the stories is (as of this volume) pretty tenuous. The stories are interesting, the line art is clean and restrained and somehow very nostalgic-looking, but I'd have liked a sstronger ense of connection between the stories in this issue.

Insomnia #1 (Written/drawn: Matt Broersma) There are two separate stories here; Four Kings and El Dorado, In the first, shorter story, Four Kings, 5 fully dressed but skeletal figures (a priest, an elegant man about town in a top hat, a 40s-character in a suit and fedora, a western marshal and a 'working stiff" in a white shirt with rolled-up shirtsleeves) are playing poker in a storeroom and telling bad jokes (including one which explains the title of the story) and a story about the greatest lovers in history.

In the main story, El Dorado, a man flees the US for Mexico, where he becomes a bartender. On the way he passes a chain gain where two convicts are telling stories - one of them tells about his friend Marco, who was destined to get into trouble. The fleeing man is driving south through Texas in a badly-running Bentley, calling himself Dr. Bentley at the border (and bribing the border guards with money and Twinkies), but ends up calling himself Marco at the bar in Mexico. One is left to assume it's the same Marco.

Wish You were Here #1: The Innocents (Written/drawn by Gipi) By far my favorite of the three, a story set in winter-time Italy at the seaside in the north somewhere, about a young boy and his uncle, on a drive to see one of the uncle's friends. It's very lean, very spare, with a lot of space between the dialog to give you time to think about what's said and not said. The boy's question are on the smart-ass side and the uncle's answers are slow and a little confused - he doesn’t know how to handle the boy, what's appropriate to say, how much to tell. The visit with the friend doesn’t exactly go well, and the uncle and the boy are surprised by events and each other. The story is told in watercolors, black and white and a wintery pale yellow-sepia, with flashbacks in unadorned black and white line art. Everything unfolds slowly, but the moments between the uncle and the boy are very moving in an understated way.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-22-2006, 12:13 PM
looks like i'll be hunting down The Innocents

Blake Sims
01-22-2006, 12:13 PM
looks like i'll be hunting down The Innocents
I saw that in the Fantagraphics cataloug I might order it.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-22-2006, 01:03 PM
I saw that in the Fantagraphics cataloug I might order it.
still waiting on mine

Blake Sims
01-22-2006, 01:10 PM
still waiting on mine
I got 3 at one time

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-22-2006, 01:13 PM
I got 3 at one time
you must have gotten mine

and by-the-by
i love that you've been sending me so much stuff, but you really need to be holding on to your originals, both for posterity and in case you lose all your files and copies and want to reprint

treat these things like they're your babies
(but i'll gladly take any xeroxes or mini comics off your hands ;))

Blake Sims
01-22-2006, 01:24 PM
you must have gotten mine

and by-the-by
i love that you've been sending me so much stuff, but you really need to be holding on to your originals, both for posterity and in case you lose all your files and copies and want to reprint

treat these things like they're your babies
(but i'll gladly take any xeroxes or mini comics off your hands ;))
they're redrawings of redrawings so its cool

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-22-2006, 01:29 PM
they're redrawings of redrawings so its cool
cool

try to take some intaglio etching, monotype, and lithography classes in your area

it's mostly untapped in comic making, which seems strange to me
Dalrymple used it in Smith's Adventures In The Super Unknown, and sells Pop Gun War prints at cons
and Alex Maleev was classically educated in it (and i wish he's actually apply it sometime)

Blake Sims
01-22-2006, 01:40 PM
cool

try to take some intaglio etching, monotype, and lithography classes in your area

it's mostly untapped in comic making, which seems strange to me
Dalrymple used it in Smith's Adventures In The Super Unknown, and sells Pop Gun War prints at cons
and Alex Maleev was classically educated in it (and i wish he's actually apply it sometime)
I did some intaglio etching in school, i liked it

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-22-2006, 01:45 PM
I did some intaglio etching in school, i liked it
now imagine an all intaglio/aquatint comic book

Blake Sims
01-22-2006, 01:58 PM
now imagine an all intaglio/aquatint comic book
that'd be awesome

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-22-2006, 01:59 PM
that'd be awesome
now go do it!

Blake Sims
01-22-2006, 02:33 PM
now go do it!
if I had more training in doing it I would!

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-22-2006, 04:50 PM
if I had more training in doing it I would!
then go forth, and obtain said training!

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-22-2006, 07:19 PM
bump!

Andreas
01-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Matt Peckham wrote a review of Lorenzo Mattotti's CHIMERA (http://mattpeckham.com/), sixth in the "Ignatz" series, at his TheoryLog blog.

Andreas

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Matt Peckham wrote a review of Lorenzo Mattotti's CHIMERA (http://mattpeckham.com/), sixth in the "Ignatz" series, at his TheoryLog blog.

Andreas
i just read it
it's sublime

his heavily hatched work is sculptural

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-28-2006, 08:50 PM
bump

Blake Sims
01-28-2006, 08:51 PM
my shop is ordering Babel and Ganges for me

EDIT: well I just realized Babel isnt one of them...but Im getting it anyway!

(akaRyanHoffman)
01-28-2006, 11:58 PM
$8 for 32 pages of comics is too expensive. I'll wait for the trades!

Blake Sims
01-29-2006, 12:07 AM
$8 for 32 pages of comics is too expensive. I'll wait for the trades!
its steep but they are pretty big
the production on Bababo or whatever its called is great

(akaRyanHoffman)
01-29-2006, 12:15 AM
its steep but they are pretty big
the production on Bababo or whatever its called is great

maybe if I see one I'll buy one. still, even with pretty packaging, $8 is a lot of money for only 32 pages of comics.

natalie
01-29-2006, 04:41 AM
I read Ganges #1 last week -- I think it may be my favorite.

(akaRyanHoffman)
01-29-2006, 09:03 AM
I read Ganges #1 last week -- I think it may be my favorite.

How's it compare to Or Else?

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-29-2006, 09:05 AM
or his work in D&Q Showcase?

natalie
01-30-2006, 03:59 AM

I like it much more. The oversized format just looks beautiful.

natalie
01-30-2006, 04:01 AM
or his work in D&Q Showcase?

About the same but again I really dig the oversized books.

I know that's the normal size for European comics, I wish we did more of that here.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-30-2006, 06:04 AM
About the same but again I really dig the oversized books.

I know that's the normal size for European comics, I wish we did more of that here.
but then every comic book shop in america would have to change the size of their shelves!

i remember hearing a good number of stores wouldn't carry BWS's Storyteller because they wouldn't fit

WAKKAJAWAKKA
01-30-2006, 06:19 AM
but then every comic book shop in america would have to change the size of their shelves!

i remember hearing a good number of stores wouldn't carry BWS's Storyteller because they wouldn't fit

Those Square Feet Are Expensive, Gotta Make Every Inch Count. I Tried To Get Some Great Stuff On The Shelves When I Was At Wizards Of The Coast, But Got Shut Down Cause The Stuff Was To Big.

Wayno.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Those Square Feet Are Expensive, Gotta Make Every Inch Count. I Tried To Get Some Great Stuff On The Shelves When I Was At Wizards Of The Coast, But Got Shut Down Cause The Stuff Was To Big.

Wayno.
well, yay for the comic retail system!

Jacob Lyon Goddard
02-02-2006, 11:46 AM
just bought the ones i was missing, look for reviews to follow

Jacob Lyon Goddard
02-07-2006, 12:07 PM
checked the Italian publisher and found editions they have that we don't
i'm assuming we'll get them eventually (with the possible exception of Babel)

http://www.coconinopress.com/ignatz/niger.gif
http://www.coconinopress.com/ignatz/end.gif
http://www.coconinopress.com/ignatz/calvario.gif
http://www.coconinopress.com/ignatz/babel.gif

Blake Sims
02-07-2006, 12:32 PM
The End is supposed to be out later this year. But I dunno about the others.

andrew french
02-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Babel was great

andrew french
04-02-2006, 11:31 AM
of these, i've bought and enjoyed Ganges, baobab, The Innocents, and you know what, it's not fanta, but i'm including Babel.

i still have Insomnia and interiorae to go. i didn't pick up Chimera.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-02-2006, 01:35 PM
of these, i've bought and enjoyed Ganges, baobab, The Innocents, and you know what, it's not fanta, but i'm including Babel.

i still have Insomnia and interiorae to go. i didn't pick up Chimera.
Chimera was very good

Michael John Wheeler
04-02-2006, 01:41 PM
So these are out? They look interesting.

I'll order one to see what they're like. These will be over $10 here, which is a lot for 32 pages of story. How dense is the material?

natalie
04-02-2006, 02:15 PM

I'll order one to see what they're like. These will be over $10 here, which is a lot for 32 pages of story. How dense is the material?

If you're going to try one, I recommend The Innocents. Gipi's art is amazing and it's a very good story -- well worth the price, IMO.

I picked up Interiorae today and really enjoyed it. I also liked Ganges, Insomnia and Baobab. I passed on Chimera.

andrew french
04-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Chimera was very good
oh yeah?

i was spending a lot when i considered getting it, so i dropped it, mostly because i hadn't heard much about it.

i'll pick it up next time.

Michael John Wheeler
04-02-2006, 02:32 PM
You know what makes me upset? I can't just walk into my LCS and pick these up. The shop does have a graphic novel section with a lot of fantastic indie and non-capes books, which they keep by the front door. I wish there was more support for those books from the readers here so that my LCS would be able to stock them.

andrew french
04-02-2006, 02:34 PM
You know what makes me upset? I can't just walk into my LCS and pick these up. The shop does have a graphic novel section with a lot of fantastic indie and non-capes books, which they keep by the front door. I wish there was more support for those books from the readers here so that my LCS would be able to stock them.

i had some difficulty finding them. my normally greats hop for indy/alternative comics had sold out, so i had to go into chicago for them.

they're worth it though, both the prices and searches (at least, the ones i've read).

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-02-2006, 06:57 PM

the first 8 have been published
the best comics i found last year

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-03-2006, 09:05 AM
anyone else been picking these up?

mario
04-03-2006, 09:53 AM
They're publising them also in dutch but they're too pricey for me at the moment.
I hope for you they'll translate Gipi's "Local" graphic novel in english
I saw him at the Bookfair in Bologna, Italy last week and he received a hero's welcome

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-03-2006, 12:08 PM
They're publising them also in dutch but they're too pricey for me at the moment.
I hope for you they'll translate Gipi's "Local" graphic novel in english
I saw him at the Bookfair in Bologna, Italy last week and he received a hero's welcome
i saw a copy of it at NYCC, it was sublime
wish they were selling it, i would have bought

Blake Sims
04-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I only have Babel so far. Im waiting on my shop to get Ganges in.

Balthazar
04-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Not sure how many of these I'll actually end up buying (just not my cup-o-tea), but I love the format. It's always exciting to see new ideas.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-03-2006, 07:04 PM
I only have Babel so far. Im waiting on my shop to get Ganges in.
while Ganges is great, it's not the best of the Glenn Ganges comics

Blake Sims
04-03-2006, 07:10 PM
I cant wait to read it.
The one in Kramer's Ergot #5 had the most beautiful colors in it. It was glorious.

andrew french
04-03-2006, 07:20 PM

what's better?

all i have otherwise is Or Else 1.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-03-2006, 07:57 PM
what's better?

all i have otherwise is Or Else 1.
D+Q Showcase 1

andrew french
04-03-2006, 07:59 PM
D+Q Showcase 1

i'll buy it.

do you have any idea when the next showcase is due?

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-04-2006, 08:44 AM
i'll buy it.

do you have any idea when the next showcase is due?
sometime this summer

andrew french
04-04-2006, 09:18 AM
sometime this summer

awesome, any word on who is contributing?

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-11-2006, 06:37 PM
here's the covers to two more
http://www.fantagraphics.com/blog/uploaded_images/2COVERS1-705181.jpg

and a page from the Gilbert Hernandez one, the only black and white on of the series
http://www.fantagraphics.com/blog/uploaded_images/PALOMAR1-799137.jpg

andrew french
04-11-2006, 06:39 PM
god i am looking forward to Gilbert's book.

Phil Hester
04-11-2006, 07:00 PM
This line is such a great move by fantagraphics. The publication of Mattotti's Chimera alone (which, if you have a soul, can be reread daily) earns my goodwill for eternity. Love to see them exhume some prime Alberto Breccia for our starving eyes soon.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-11-2006, 07:01 PM
This line is such a great move by fantagraphics. The publication of Mattotti's Chimera alone (which, if you have a soul, can be reread daily) earns my goodwill for eternity. Love to see them exhume some prime Alberto Breccia for our starving eyes soon.
when's yours?

Phil Hester
04-11-2006, 08:00 PM
when's yours?

We may be talking lifetimes.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-11-2006, 08:21 PM
We may be talking lifetimes.
I'm a patient mother fucker
I'm still happily waiting for Rubber Blankets #4

Blake Sims
04-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Ganges was so good. Kevin H is the tops for me at the moment. I really really like his work.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Ganges was so good. Kevin H is the tops for me at the moment. I really really like his work.
you really should hunt down D+Q Showcase #1, it's the best work by him that i've read

Michael John Wheeler
10-05-2006, 09:25 PM
http://www.fantagraphics.com/recent/cmx/ignatzcmx/innocents1.jpg

The Innocents #1 (Ignatz Series)
Gipi
A decade after his days as a roaming punk, Giuliano takes his nephew Andrea down to the seaside, his old stomping grounds, to visit with one of his old friends: Valerio, who has just finished serving a long prison sentence after having been framed, tortured and imprisoned by two rogue members of an anti-terrorist squad. The Innocent Ones, which includes two narrative tracks in different drawing styles, is a contemplative, beautifully drawn graphic novelette about these three characters' meeting. Future issues will focus on other members of this group of friends, a bit like Jaime Hernandez's "Locas" stories, with supporting characters stepping into the spotlight as former "lead" characters become part of the background...

I'm so late to the game on these books. I just bought this book, my first. Absolutely amazing. This is comic book minimalism working on every count. There was no unnecessary dialogue and everything contributed to the theme and development of the story. The art was equally minimal, where only the illustrations that needed to be there were there. I hear the second book is not a continuation, which is a shame, because the characters and the environment hold great potential for more stories.

I might get another one tomorrow, but I'm not sure which one. I'd love to read Gipi's second book because this was so strong, but I'd also love to see another artist's story. I'm fairly certain, though, that this is a series where I'll be getting all the books eventually.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
10-05-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm so late to the game on these books. I just bought this book, my first. Absolutely amazing. This is comic book minimalism working on every count. There was no unnecessary dialogue and everything contributed to the theme and development of the story. The art was equally minimal, where only the illustrations that needed to be there were there. I hear the second book is not a continuation, which is a shame, because the characters and the environment hold great potential for more stories.

I might get another one tomorrow, but I'm not sure which one. I'd love to read Gipi's second book because this was so strong, but I'd also love to see another artist's story. I'm fairly certain, though, that this is a series where I'll be getting all the books eventually.
the second issue has the same main character, but uses a completely different visual language
it's like Gipi looked at Dave Sim's Cerebus and did everything right that Sim did wrong in terms of blocks of text and asking the reader to completely change the speed of their eye movement across the page

natalie
10-06-2006, 07:15 AM
I never did buy Chimera... I guess I'll have to check it out.

And, yes, I'm really looking forward to Gilbert's and Sala's.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
10-06-2006, 07:32 AM
Chimera was amazing
it's what a quarter of the people who have ever submitted to Kramers Ergot try to do

Sarah Morean
10-06-2006, 08:25 AM

damon

Oh, hey! I love your comics. I started out with A Sort of Homecoming and it blew me away. I really loved it. Then I got Uncle Jeff, but A Sort of Homecoming is definitely still my favorite, though they were both great.

Fancy bumping into you on the internet. I just pimped your work a few months ago on the christmas comics thread, I think.

Sarah Morean
10-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Wow! Didn't know this existed. Thanks, pal!

Jacob Lyon Goddard
10-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Wow! Didn't know this existed. Thanks, pal!
s'what i do