PDA

View Full Version : X Files Continuity

The-Last-Man
01-18-2006, 09:50 AM
So i am now in the process of watching through all of the X Files, but where does the movie fit in continuity?

I'm almost certain it wasnt after the final series (i havent seen the final 2 seasons!), does anybody have any idea?

Gregory
01-18-2006, 09:51 AM
It was after the fourth season, I think. The following season premiere picks up exactly where the film leaves off.

The-Last-Man
01-18-2006, 09:53 AM
It was after the fourth season, I think. The following season premiere picks up exactly where the film leaves off.

Thanks man.

SimiBoyz
01-18-2006, 10:06 AM

4th was it? I thought it was the fifth, must've had it confused with the 5th continued after the film. I knew it was around that time somewhere.

Yannick_B
01-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Follows from the 5th Season into the 6th.

abuddah
01-18-2006, 10:08 AM
you are correct, sir

Gregory
01-18-2006, 10:09 AM

I'm probably wrong about the time, but I will say this about the film and the subsequent episodes:

The series undoes plot progressions from the film within five minutes. I was so mad, this lead me to quit the series.

SimiBoyz
01-18-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm probably wrong about the time, but I will say this about the film and the subsequent episodes:

The series undoes plot progressions from the film within five minutes. I was so mad, this lead me to quit the series.

Which is when I actually really started getting into it.

Your Pal, Carl
01-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Which is when I actually really started getting into it.
Me too.

The-Last-Man
01-18-2006, 10:14 AM
I never watched the film either, so a lot of the x files is going to be new ground for me.

Gunter
01-18-2006, 10:14 AM
I watched every episode of The X-Files from start to finish and I'm still not sure if they ever ended up with any definite answers from the ongoing mythology of the show.

ihategravity
01-18-2006, 10:15 AM
It was around the time of the movie that I lost interest in the X-files. I have seen very few eps after the movie.

Ryan F
01-18-2006, 10:29 AM
It was around the time of the movie that I lost interest in the X-files. I have seen very few eps after the movie.

Seasons 2-5 = some of the best television ever.

Seasons 6-9 = a handful of decent episodes, lots of shit episodes, and the realization that Chris Carter had no idea where he was going with the overarching plot.

ChrisCollins
01-18-2006, 10:31 AM
I started getting the DVDs a few years back and was going through it pretty consistently (trying to keep it all fresh in my mind so I could make sense of the mythology). I finished season 5 and watched the movie, but stopped after that. I've got the rest of the seasons, but there always seems to be something in my pile (about 25 TV on DVD titles) that I want to watch more. I think the show really lost something after that movie. They kept having to change their plans when fox would keep renewing them. IIRC the mythology got so bad to the point where it could never fully be explained. I guess I just haven't felt like going through that experience again.

God I hope this never happens with Lost. I'm afraid though that ABC might want the creators to keep going, even when the plot says they should be ending.

ThisSpaceForRent
01-18-2006, 10:42 AM
God I hope this never happens with Lost. I'm afraid though that ABC might want the creators to keep going, even when the plot says they should be ending.

I don't think this will happen with Lost. They give answers slowly, but they plant new seeds as much as they reveal answers to mysteries. The X-Files would have milked that 'what's in the hatch' subplot for 5 years. And then it would only have been the lobby to a bigger hatch.

The lost producers have said they don't want to be like X-Files, running individual mysteries on for so long that viewers are underwhelmed no matter WHAT the resolutions are.

Gregory
01-18-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't think this will happen with Lost. They give answers slowly, but they plant new seeds as much as they reveal answers to mysteries. The X-Files would have milked that 'what's in the hatch' subplot for 5 years. And then it would only have been the lobby to a bigger hatch.

The lost producers have said they don't want to be like X-Files, running individual mysteries on for so long that viewers are underwhelmed no matter WHAT the resolutions are.

Also, Lost is developing its mythology a lot quicker this season. So much more of the island has been uncovered compared to the first 24 epsiodes.

TheFalcon
01-18-2006, 10:47 AM
I finished season 5 and watched the movie, but stopped after that.

I came into X-Files around Season 7 or 8 and I've only seen a few of the earlier episodes, but I liked most of them and I've always liked conspiracy theories. So when I saw Season 1 at half price a week ago I bought it and after starting watching I couldn't stop. Now I've ordered 2 & 3 and I'm planning on just buying up to 5 and then the movie and skip the rest.

After what I've heard the series comes to a sort of conclusion at the end of season 5. Is this correct?

I'm not really interested in buying 7-9 since I've already seen most of the episodes and the quality of the show went downhill at the end (though I liked Robert Patrick as Dogget).

ChrisCollins
01-18-2006, 10:49 AM

Yeah I've read those interviews, but ultimately the show is the property of its production studio and of ABC who pays for the show. If they want to milk it, they can fire all the creators and writers and hire new ones to go in a different direction and try to explain the dangling plot threads. Chris Carter and the other X-Files people basically had an ultimatum from Fox, either you make the show, or we'll find someone else to do it. So they were stuck with either having to drag things out past their initial lifespan, or let some other hack come in and do it. I'm probably just chicken little here, but I'm just concerned that I've invested so much in Lost and I don't want to be disappointed like I was with the X-Files.

Ryan F
After what I've heard the series comes to a sort of conclusion at the end of season 5. Is this correct?

I'm not sure I'd say much was resolved at the end of season 5...but I wouldn't say that about the end of season 9 either.

Generic Poster
I watched every episode of The X-Files from start to finish and I'm still not sure if they ever ended up with any definite answers from the ongoing mythology of the show.

Same here. Nor am I sure about what actually happened to Mulder's sister.

ChrisCollins
01-18-2006, 10:53 AM
I came into X-Files around Season 7 or 8 and I've only seen a few of the earlier episodes, but I liked most of them and I've always liked conspiracy theories. So when I saw Season 1 at half price a week ago I bought it and after starting watching I couldn't stop. Now I've ordered 2 & 3 and I'm planning on just buying up to 5 and then the movie and skip the rest.

I'm not really interested in buying 7-9 since I've already seen most of the episodes and the quality of the show went downhill at the end (though I liked Robert Patrick as Dogget).

It does come to a bit of a conclusion with season 5 (though it may not be the one you might have been looking for). Combined with the revelations from the movie, I think it would be a decent enough stopping point. Season 6 isn't all that bad IIRC, but I suppose its a matter of tastes. I think though that its generally accepted that seasons 8 and 9 are wretched.

xyzzy
01-18-2006, 10:54 AM

That was a good time to do so.

TheFalcon
01-18-2006, 10:59 AM

I don't think Lost will have a problem keeping up the mysteries and so on, but I think they will soon run into problems with the characters backstory. It was interesting seeing how they all ended up on the plane in season 1 and getting to know some things about them, but now they are not really connected to the island part anymore and we know most of the characters.
IMO they are beginning to feel unimportant and it's as if they are there to just "keep us away" from the island plot/story.

If they are going to continue, I hope they will focus on somebody we haven't seen yet. We got some new ones with Ana Lucia and Mr. Eko, but there were over 40 survivors and so far we've only had backstories about 15 or so of them. Why not bring in someone else for a few episodes and tell us about them instead of giving Jack and Kate every 4th or so episode?

I would have liked a episode focusing on Arntz (sp?) at the end of season 1 for instance. And what about Scott and Steve? :D

Your Pal, Carl
01-18-2006, 11:09 AM

I'd place it in season 6, maybe even the beginning of season 7.

TheFalcon
01-18-2006, 11:10 AM
It does come to a bit of a conclusion with season 5 (though it may not be the one you might have been looking for). Combined with the revelations from the movie, I think it would be a decent enough stopping point. Season 6 isn't all that bad IIRC, but I suppose its a matter of tastes. I think though that its generally accepted that seasons 8 and 9 are wretched.

Yeah I heard there were a few good episodes in Season 6 but I also heard that some of the mythology plots that were seemingly resolved in Season 5 (or so) got ripped up again. So I'm not sure if I will get that one.

I have a spoiler question I'm hoping someone can answer:

I remember watching an episode were the entire mysterious group of men in black met some aliens in a hangar and they all got killed. Which season was this?

Your Pal, Carl
01-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Same here. Nor am I sure about what actually happened to Mulder's sister.
The episode 'Closure' from middle of season 7 is, to me, the definative answer to what happened to Samantha.

Your Pal, Carl
01-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah I heard there were a few good episodes in Season 6 but I also heard that some of the mythology plots that were seemingly resolved in Season 5 (or so) got ripped up again. So I'm not sure if I will get that one.

I have a spoiler question I'm hoping someone can answer:

I remember watching an episode were the entire mysterious group of men in black met some aliens in a hangar and they all got killed. Which season was this?
Season 6. Two Fathers/One Son two parter. Wraps up most of the mythology.

TheFalcon
01-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Season 6. Two Fathers/One Son two parter. Wraps up most of the mythology.

Thanks. I might get season 6 after all.

If I remember correctly there were also an episode about Mulder switching brain/body with a guy who worked at Area 51 around that time. I thought that one was really funny. Is that in there too?

Your Pal, Carl
01-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks. I might get season 6 after all.

If I remember correctly there were also an episode about Mulder switching brain/body with a guy who worked at Area 51 around that time. I thought that one was really funny. Is that in there too?
Dreamland, and yes, that's season 6 too.

CapnChaos
01-18-2006, 11:30 AM
The last couple seasons are weak compared to the rest of the show, but are still better than a lot of TV. Much like the last two seasons of Buffy.

MIKE D
01-18-2006, 11:34 AM
The last couple seasons are weak compared to the rest of the show, but are still better than a lot of TV. Much like the last two seasons of Buffy.

I couldn't disagree more. Those last few seasons were painfully bad.

Jim.
01-18-2006, 12:14 PM
There are now a series of boxed sets that just contain episodes that have to do with the "big conspiracy" stuff. I believe Chris Carter sets the record straight in commentaries and documentaries included as well.

Garth
01-18-2006, 12:16 PM
I was a HUGE X-Files fan back in the day. However, it started getting so weak towards the end that I have decided to pretend it ended after the film. So the 5th season is the last actual season in my mind, then the movie. It isn't a bad bookend if you just pretend...really hard.

ChrisCollins
01-18-2006, 12:19 PM
I was a HUGE X-Files fan back in the day. However, it started getting so weak towards the end that I have decided to pretend it ended after the film. So the 5th season is the last actual season in my mind, then the movie. It isn't a bad bookend if you just pretend...really hard.

Yup, Mulder and Scully find some ski lodge in Antarctica curl up by a fire and say, "Weren't the last 5 years weird. I wonder what it all means. Lets shag." The end.

Garth
01-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Yup, Mulder and Scully find some ski lodge in Antarctica curl up by a fire and say, "Weren't the last 5 years weird. I wonder what it all means. Lets shag." The end.

yep, also glad they managed to keep a non-romantic relationship for as long as they did.

ChrisCollins
01-18-2006, 12:29 PM
yep, also glad they managed to keep a non-romantic relationship for as long as they did.

Agreed. Mulder was much more enjoyable when he was the conspiracy nerd that wasn't getting any.

xyzzy
01-18-2006, 12:29 PM
There are now a series of boxed sets that just contain episodes that have to do with the "big conspiracy" stuff. I believe Chris Carter sets the record straight in commentaries and documentaries included as well.

I'd love to have the opposite set - Just the standalone episodes.

Ryan F
01-18-2006, 12:56 PM

how is that even possible? Anyone seen it?

Carter's got some 'splainin' to do.

Garth
01-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Agreed. Mulder was much more enjoyable when he was the conspiracy nerd that wasn't getting any.

It is actually interesting watching Mulder in that first season, he has a pretty good, funny sense of humor. After that first season he gets much more somber and serious, it is kind of sad.

Taki Soma
01-18-2006, 01:01 PM

I stopped watching after the movie as well.