PDA

View Full Version : 'God Is Mad At America' .. no, that's not Pat Robertson speaking..

Cth
01-17-2006, 08:47 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/K/KATRINA_NAGIN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-01-16-22-58-04

New Orleans Mayor Says God Mad at U.S.

By BRETT MARTEL
Associated Press Writer

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Mayor Ray Nagin suggested Monday that Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and other storms were a sign that "God is mad at America" and at black communities, too, for tearing themselves apart with violence and political infighting.

"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," Nagin, who is black, said as he and other city leaders marked Martin Luther King Day.

"Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves."

Nagin also promised that New Orleans will be a "chocolate" city again. Many of the city's black neighborhoods were heavily damaged by Katrina.

"It's time for us to come together. It's time for us to rebuild New Orleans - the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans," the mayor said. "This city will be a majority African American city. It's the way God wants it to be. You can't have New Orleans no other way. It wouldn't be New Orleans."

Nagin described an imaginary conversation with King, the late civil rights leader.

"I said, `What is it going to take for us to move on and live your dream and make it a reality?' He said, `I don't think that we need to pay attention any more as much about other folks and racists on the other side.' He said, `The thing we need to focus on as a community - black folks I'm talking about - is ourselves.'"

Nagin said he also asked: "Why is black-on-black crime such an issue? Why do our young men hate each other so much that they look their brother in the face and they will take a gun and kill him in cold blood?"

The reply, Nagin said, was: "We as a people need to fix ourselves first."

Nagin also said King would have been dismayed with black leaders who are "most of the time tearing each other down publicly for the delight of many."

A day earlier, gunfire erupted at a parade to commemorate King's birthday. Three people were wounded in the daylight shooting amid a throng of mostly black spectators, but police said there were no immediate suspects or witnesses.

Gunter
01-17-2006, 08:50 AM
I heard clips from his speech on the radio this morning.

I had to laugh.

joeyart
01-17-2006, 08:52 AM
You know...it's probably not a good idea for anyone to start using the hurricane and God as props to say what they have to say...he wants to have imaginary conversations, fine. Just do that. Don't use the hurricane and God's wrath as reasons to do so.

deadboy
01-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Maybe it's more likely that he, he being God, doesn't approve of all the whoring and debauchery that takes place in New Orleans? Maybe that's more likely?

GabeLogan
01-17-2006, 08:54 AM
I've been a supporter of Nagin through most of this stuff but he just sounds like a man who has lost it here. If anyone else said this they would be admonished for it. Honestly I don't view this as much different than the comments religious nuts made about God being mad at that part of America over morality and that is why he sent the hurricanes.

I know what Nagin was trying to say, but he needed to choose his words more wisely.

RebootedCorpse
01-17-2006, 08:58 AM
He needs a nap.
Bad.

TheTravis!
01-17-2006, 09:01 AM
I knew God was mad at America when Bush got elected for a second term. This is no surprise.

Captain Sensation
01-17-2006, 09:03 AM
its stuff like this thatupsets me, for non believers it only even further blurrs the line between what God says and what people think God says....

J. R. Scherer
01-17-2006, 09:03 AM
A "chocolate" city?

Captain Sensation
01-17-2006, 09:05 AM
A "chocolate" city?

yeah..chocolate being black...

i guess after the hurricane, all of the chocolate disappeared and willy wonka is gonna have to bring it back....

Bill?
01-17-2006, 09:06 AM
mmmm. chocolate city.
http://www.vwenthusiast.com/yabbse/attachments/homer-drool.gif

Cth
01-17-2006, 09:07 AM
You got chocolate in my peanut butter..

You got peanut butter in my chocolate..

J. R. Scherer
01-17-2006, 09:07 AM
You got chocolate in my peanut butter..

You got peanut butter in my chocolate..
Oh, fuck, that's tasty!!

Hate_Prime
01-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Lucky we have people like him who's so sure how god feels. I mean it's so obvious now that I think about it. It's not like hurricanes are a natural meteorological phenomenon. Up until recently these hurricanes were never seen anywhere near costal cities along that area. Hurricanes are a new invention.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
01-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Fucking Slayer told me this already.

(akaRyanHoffman)
01-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Fucking Slayer told me this already.

nonono...

Slayer said that God hates us ALL.

Ray G.
01-17-2006, 12:28 PM
He so cwazy.

Greenville 90210
01-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah. I still see a lot of black people in NOLA so I don't know what Nagin's talking about. True, a lot of "black" neighborhoods (9th ward) were destroyed but so were "white" neighborhoods (Lakeview).

There are enough white people in the city that vote to ensure that Sugar Ray Nagin will not be mayor again. And that's sad. I like Nagin but his chocolate city comments make me uncomfortable. He tried to explain himself by saying chocolate is a delicious drink made from white milk and dark chocolate, kinda like a race relations beverage. That did nothing but make mother fuckers thirsty.

thecheat1
01-17-2006, 01:35 PM
I didn't get the memo where God asked the mayor to speak for him.

I understand this man has been through a heck of a lot but, that's a pretty bold statement to say that God purposely killed all those people with a hurricane to just to go, "bad America!".

I hate when people use disaster to further their own cause.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
01-17-2006, 01:39 PM
I'd blame it on stress.

This time.

Ethan Van Sciver
01-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Mmmm...a delicious chocolate city. That ought to appease the angry gods. Maybe we should make Iraq out of licorice.

Thudpucker
01-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Yea, I was saying in the other thread how if a white mayor said "God wants this to be a vanilla city" people would drive that guy out of office.

Hopefully this nutjob will meet the same results.

J. R. Scherer
01-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Yea, I was saying in the other thread how if a white mayor said "God wants this to be a vanilla city" people would drive that guy out of office.

Hopefully this nutjob will meet the same results.
It's a good thing that black people can't be racist, huh?

Thudpucker
01-17-2006, 02:19 PM
It's a good thing that black people can't be racist, huh?

For some reason people are afraid to call out any racist who isn't white.

Watch, the first public person who attacks Nagin for saying that will be labeled a racist himself for doing it.

Gunter
01-17-2006, 02:24 PM
But the great thing about chocolate is that there is white chocolate, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate.

Don't you see, he just wants New Orleans to be Wonkaville, not Honkaville.

NATE!
01-17-2006, 02:29 PM
For some reason people are afraid to call out any racist who isn't white.

Watch, the first public person who attacks Nagin for saying that will be labeled a racist himself for doing it.

The wet towel of political correctness and double standards snaps hardest in this country.