PDA

View Full Version : putting together my website- 'lil help please!

Tim Simmons
01-16-2006, 11:41 AM
So, I've got alot of "stuff" floating around on the internets- music I wrote up on Soundclick, Photos on flickr, my ramble-blog up on Livejournal, my film up on Underground Film, a few short scripts, and a few other various things here and there...

I've decided (particularly after losing my bookmarks, thank you Firefox), that I want to get all this stuff into one easily accessible place. And, not hotlink the stuff- I want it hosted there...

Now, I already have a website/domain name...and I've got a basic idea of what I'd like to do with it- probably beginning with something a little like Warrenellis.com: Main body would be a mirror of my LJ content, with links on the side to separate pages containing my movie/photos/ect/ect...

What would I need for this? Is this Wordpress? and secondly...is there an application that would simultaneously update my website and my Livejournal, without getting into RSS feeds?

Any help with an "idiots level" program or web based application would be of great help...I suck with HTML/Flash ect...

Suggestions?

Tim Simmons
01-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Ok, I think I've got the Livejournal part figured out-

I can turn my LJ into an RSS feed...then have my website "catch" it and publish it...now, onto the actual website part of it...

Smokinblues
01-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Ok, I think I've got the Livejournal part figured out-

I can turn my LJ into an RSS feed...then have my website "catch" it and publish it...now, onto the actual website part of it...

i know there's a plugin for wordpress that will publish from external rss feeds like that. it's called Feed Wordpress.

Wordpress in and of itself is just blogging software.

Tim Simmons
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
i know there's a plugin for wordpress that will publish from external rss feeds like that. it's called Feed Wordpress.

Wordpress in and of itself is just blogging software.

Gotcha- that's what I was thinking...I'm just starting out on this whole thing, and I've learned just a tad in the last few hours...

(You'd think this would be a lot easier then it actually is...)

Anyhow- I've set up my LJ as an RSS feed at Feedburner...What I believe this means is that Feedburner is now "catching" what I post up on my LJ.

Now, I have to install Wordpress on my Host site, then tell Wordpress to "hunt" the RSS feed I set up at Feedburner...

now, I believe that this will make it so when I update at LJ, my site will mirror it automatically...

Right now I'm working on trying to find a free FTP program so that I can upload WordPress to my site.

Well...at least I'm learning something.