PDA

View Full Version : the way to do 'events' . . .

jason hissong
01-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Age of Apocalypse. The single greatest 'event' story ever. In terms of super hero comics.

-j

Agent Desmond
01-14-2006, 03:21 PM
ummm. I don't know about that. Not to put it down or anything but it was confined to just on section of the universe and it really didn't have any lasting effects on the Marvel universe. Sure, four characters survived, X-Man being one, but Sugarman, Holocaust, and Dark Beast?

I would probably say that Secret Wars was the greatest event story because of the lasting effects and it was just damn good. As well as strong tie-ins and continuity

mario
01-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Death of Superman
hands down. Sold more comics to the real world than any other book in history

jason hissong
01-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Both valid points.

I don't think any 'event' really resonates to lasting ramifications, the reason I like AOA, though, was because I thought the execution was excellent. Most of the characters retained most of their distinctiveness, and ten years ago when I was 14, shit blew me away.

Playing X-Men Legends II with the AOA skins is making me nostalgic.

Vonn Hennigar
01-14-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm a Marvel Fan but comeon Crisis On Infinite Earths even though it reads a little stale trumps AOA simply because of it's Long Lasting Ramifications. As for Marvel The Infinity Gauntlet reigns supreme.

http://www.corvusonline.net/thanos/card6.jpg

Agent Desmond
01-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Infinity Gauntlet was good. But nothing came from it except for the resurrection of Adam, Pip, and Gamorra. As for Infinite, way more major than Secret Wars, BUT... it's not as easilly accessable for people not familiar with DC.

Vonn Hennigar
01-14-2006, 03:28 PM
I think only Mark Waid and other DC Trivia Buffs could understand what the fuck was going on in Crisis On Infinite Earths.

Agent Desmond
01-14-2006, 03:30 PM
I still can't remember which character gets 1, 2, 3, Prime, etc etc after their name pre Crisis.

Vonn Hennigar
01-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Speaking of The Infinity Gauntlet reminds me where the Hell is Ron Lim at? Last project i remember was Thanos a couple of years back. This Guy was a Major Talent and one of my favorite artists in my younger days. Drew THE Definitive Versions of pretty much every Marvel Cosmic Character.

Nick MB
01-14-2006, 04:29 PM
I love Knightfall. Seemed a lot more engaging than Death of Superman to me, and a lot more like a proper story rather than "random monster appears. Kills lead character."

copypastepuke
01-14-2006, 04:59 PM
onslaught.

Criden
01-14-2006, 05:01 PM
onslaught.

hahah, fuck yeah.

Shwicaz
01-14-2006, 05:04 PM
I think the way to do an 'event' is not to hype it up at all.

An 'event' in comics to me, isn't something you let people know about 6 months before.

Don't say shit, and let the fans decide what is an 'event', and what isn't

Briomega
01-14-2006, 05:06 PM

An 'event' in comics to me, isn't something you let people know about 6 months before.

That was exactly what I was gonna say.

jason hissong
01-14-2006, 05:16 PM

This is why you are a wise man, and a great resource of comics knowledge.

That's also why I used 'event' and not event, because who determines what that is? The reader.

When the Berlin TPB came out, that was an event to me.

-j