PDA

View Full Version : Why the new spiderman costume is a fake

sto110
01-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Marvel isnt stupid. they are marketing geniuses at times.

They know the other is tanking, they know it is only half done so they are hyping up a costume prototype someone whipped together that they either had no intention of using or wanted to use for one issue.

the variants with the costumes, the solits, the website, all marketing trying to save not 1 but 3 books that are not doing well because of a story they committed to.

well thats what i think

also see this is the first image with spideys new costume, in ASM... notice the lack of webs in the protype vs the pic..http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/0206/ASM529_FLCOV.jpg

I would be interested in somone photoshopping the darkened solit into a real cover.

Kefky
01-12-2006, 06:02 PM
They know the other is tanking,

Oh really? You think they got that from the whinning internet fanboys? 'Cause it couldn't have been from the great sales it's been getting! :roll:

Ray G.
01-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Either way, this is one of the darkest periods in Spider-man's history. Up there with the clone saga.

SAVETHEB
01-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Either way, this is one of the darkest periods in Spider-man's history. Up there with the clone saga.
its not that bad

Smokinblues
01-12-2006, 06:17 PM
its not that bad

it's pretty fuckin bad.

Ray G.
01-12-2006, 06:18 PM
it's pretty fuckin bad.

Wait until next week's FNSM. It will blow. your. mind.

And by that I mean you'll want to blow your brains out after reading it.

matthew spatola
01-12-2006, 06:18 PM
it's pretty fuckin bad.

Yeah it is.

Ashton
01-12-2006, 06:19 PM
okay, I'll buy this theory.

Kefky
01-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Wait until next week's FNSM. It will blow. your. mind.

And by that I mean you'll want to blow your brains out after reading it.

I tought it was cute how you were trying to get everyone's attention with spoilers in the other thread yesterday, but no one seemed to give a damn, even after looking...

Just sayin'...

gibbEy
01-12-2006, 06:24 PM
is The Other "tanking"? Is it not selling well, or do most people just openly hate it? :)

I've actually really enjoyed it.....

I sure hope that costume is fake. :)

Amos Moses
01-12-2006, 06:28 PM
What the hell is "The Other" about?

Ray G.
01-12-2006, 06:29 PM

Vampires. Stingers. Whining. Death. Cocoons. Spider-Gods. Suck.

There, you just saved $30.

Mister Mets
01-12-2006, 06:53 PM

Spider-Man thinks he's dying, gets better, and realizes that there's more to his powers than he thought. I thought it was all right, but could ahve and should ahve been a lot better.

WinterRose
01-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Well, if it's a hoax, it's a pretty piss poor way to treat your readers.

sto110
01-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I am a long time spidey fan

just because it is selling well doesnt mean it is tanking. The clone saga sold well.

the storyline is crap. everyone knows it.

Humphrey_Lee
01-12-2006, 07:15 PM
All I want him to do if/when he's wearing that costume is to at some point say "You like anime? I'm anime all over shitbag!"

It would redeem everything.

Flonk
01-12-2006, 07:28 PM

A) The clone saga was a good idea that went on for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long

B) Ever since Paul Jenkins and JMS took over Spider-Man it has been a great time to be a Spider-Fan. Some of the best Spidey stories ever have come out of this era.

Flonk
01-12-2006, 07:29 PM

About three issues from the end.

Smokinblues
01-12-2006, 07:33 PM
A) The clone saga was a good idea that went on for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long

B) Ever since Paul Jenkins and JMS took over Spider-Man it has been a great time to be a Spider-Fan. Some of the best Spidey stories ever have come out of this era.

up until the other started, i'd agree with you. i was digging JMS's run. I didn't even mind sins past so much.

Flonk
01-12-2006, 07:34 PM
up until the other started, i'd agree with you. i was digging JMS's run. I didn't even mind sins past so much.

Aside from the Hudlin issues, I've quite enjoyed The Other.

Shwicaz
01-12-2006, 07:36 PM
just because it is selling well doesnt mean it is tanking.

This is the first time you have made sense in this thread.

all the other words are just so much sanskrit to me.

:lol:

moonspider
01-12-2006, 07:38 PM
thank god ive stopped reading spidey titles after that last arc...um what issit....the one with gwens children

Humphrey_Lee
01-12-2006, 07:39 PM

What? Sales don't = quality? I call bullshit!

*looks at sales chart*

Nevermind.

I call bullshit on my bullshit!!

Shwicaz
01-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Nevermind.

I call bullshit on my bullshit!!

Smokinblues
01-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Aside from the Hudlin issues, I've quite enjoyed The Other.

really? i mean, you're not just saying that to buck the trend?

because I mean, it's just got so much...bad.

Flonk
01-12-2006, 07:45 PM
really? i mean, you're not just saying that to buck the trend?

because I mean, it's just got so much...bad.

I've noticed this with a lost of JMS's stuff. It's bad ideas, but they are done so amazingly well, you can't help but like them.

sonnylarue
01-12-2006, 07:59 PM

dude, lighten up, it's one bad 3 month story. :roll:

Mike Haseloff
01-12-2006, 08:24 PM
I would be interested in somone photoshopping the darkened solit into a real cover.This is pathetic, but until someone does better...

http://www.nitelitetheatre.com/new-spidey.jpg

The Human Target
01-12-2006, 08:25 PM
OOOHHHHHH!

Spidey is all glowy like the sun.

Mike Haseloff
01-12-2006, 08:26 PM
OOOHHHHHH!

Spidey is all glowy like the sun.:lol:

Corwin: Bear Fighter
01-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Tanking? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously. I haven't been reading The Other, but we can't keep the issues in stock at work, so I don't know what the fuck you're talking about with this "tanking" business.

Also, WinterRose's comment about how this is a terrible way to treat fans just screams "overreaction", which is always the best way to describe the online comic fan community when it comes to this.
Part of me kind of hopes that the supposed "new costume" everyone's bitching about turns out to be fake, and that the real one is bright pink with lime trim and an argyle spider insignia. Maybe the costume would even include ice skates that pop out of his booties and lots of Liefeldesque pads. Ooo, and the mask would be skullcap-free to let his hair flow out the top. Why do I wish for such things? Just to see the fanboys squirm.

Fizz
01-12-2006, 09:54 PM
I would be interested in somone photoshopping the darkened solit into a real cover.

here's my attempt

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/Mfizz/iron-spidey.jpg

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
01-12-2006, 10:01 PM
it's pretty fuckin bad.

I don't agree. Clone saga lasted years. This dark period has lasted like 4 months.

SteveFlack
01-12-2006, 10:07 PM
I don't agree. Clone saga lasted years. This dark period has lasted like 4 months.

I dunno, JMS started writing ASM about 4 years ago. It started then...

-Steve!

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
01-12-2006, 10:23 PM
I dunno, JMS started writing ASM about 4 years ago. It started then...

-Steve!

Yea, but JMS' stuff hasn't been all dark. He got MJ and Pete back together, did really amazing stuff with Aunt May, and did some great classroom moments with Peter. Not to mention a lot of romantic scenes between Pete and MJ. Just before The Other he was actually at the high point of his life.

TheKraken
01-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Tanking? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously. I haven't been reading The Other, but we can't keep the issues in stock at work, so I don't know what the fuck you're talking about with this "tanking" business.

It may not be tanking, but I'm getting the impression it's like the American Godzilla movie. If you just look at the numbers, it was a big success. If you look at the opinions of most people who watched it, it's no surprise it never got a sequel.

Oh, and you can pick up almost every issue of the crossover at my shop...

Freeway
01-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Just out of curiosity, have they done the House of M tie-in to Amazing Spider-Man & Co. yet?

Because if we could possibly have this whole thing explained away (or just plain explained) by House of M or Civil War, that'd be dandy.

Donal DeLay
01-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Some artists draw the underarm web, and some don't.

Quesada''s pen sketch looks like it was done on a 3x5 note card.

Why put every single detail into a tiny design sketch? Especially details only half the artists draw.

bairdduvessa
01-13-2006, 12:45 AM
when it comes to the cotume i remind people of the astonishing Pheonix cover that was leaked.

bairdduvessa
01-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Just out of curiosity, have they done the House of M tie-in to Amazing Spider-Man & Co. yet?

Because if we could possibly have this whole thing explained away (or just plain explained) by House of M or Civil War, that'd be dandy.

from what i understand Son of M will cover it, then maybe someday down the line the actual spider books discuss it.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
01-13-2006, 01:15 AM
from what i understand Son of M will cover it, then maybe someday down the line the actual spider books discuss it.

I think issue 1 of Son of M is all we're gonna get from that series. It's probably going to focus on Quicksilver for the remainder. That was a great moment in the first issue, though. Really a missed opportunity for the regular books, and by the time The Other is over it might be too late to do the House of M stuff, especially with Civil War gearing up.

Thomas Mauer
01-13-2006, 01:22 AM
Why do I wish for such things? Just to see the fanboys squirm.
You're and evil, evil man. Good going! :D

Ivan In Da Crypt
01-13-2006, 04:13 AM
I tell you what!... JMS's run was good when he first came on ASM, everything before the return of Eziekel was great, then sadly it went downhill pretty fucking quickly.

but as for this period being the worst thing since the clone saga? no way! what about everything from Byrnes run till JMS's?!?! those issues made me wanna puke on the comic and then wipe my ass with it afterwards.

I too believe that the costume is fake, mainly for publicity (attempt to boost sales of The Other) and exactly to cause some fanboy bitching.... then i guess (hopefully) the real costume and storyline will rock the house!

As for my opinion id like to see Marvel do Spidey's costume as it was for the first two issues (Kirbys cover, and Ditkos AF#15 and ASM#1)..... red and black, i think that will give Spidey a kick ass new look while still retaining pretty much everything.

Garth
01-13-2006, 04:25 AM
As for my opinion id like to see Marvel do Spidey's costume as it was for the first two issues (Kirbys cover, and Ditkos AF#15 and ASM#1)..... red and black, i think that will give Spidey a kick ass new look while still retaining pretty much everything.

That costume would be awesome, I agree! Always like the red-black motif, and it wouldn't be a total trashing of Spidey's classic costume.

rwsmith
01-13-2006, 04:31 AM
I'd take it a step further and make it the House of M Spider-man costume in red and black. Or even this one in red and black wouldn't be so bad (if most of the costume was black and just the spider was red, that is).

Garth
01-13-2006, 04:43 AM
I'd take it a step further and make it the House of M Spider-man costume in red and black. Or even this one in red and black wouldn't be so bad (if most of the costume was black and just the spider was red, that is).

I wouldn't mind that either. In fact the first costume that springs to mind is the prototyps Ross did for the first Spider-Man movie. I think those look cool.
http://sfstory.free.fr/images/Spiderman/spiderman1024.jpg
http://www.comicbookresources.com/images/previews/rossspidey/spider_07.jpg

bstie1198
01-13-2006, 04:51 AM

:hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk:

I really need to stay out of Spider-Man threads, cause I just get so pissed off at everyone saying shit about the clone saga. Either that, or I need to start pissing on other people's favorite comics that I didn't like... Yeah, that's the ticket.

Blankets was the most disappointing comic I've ever read, and one of the few I regret buying. $30 for a very "meh" story that everyone made out to be the greatest comic ever.

Damn, that didn't feel as good as I hoped... I guess I'll just go cry in the corner. :cry:

ERNIE_E
01-13-2006, 04:58 AM
You know I don't read many titles month to month preferring to read the story arcs. So sometimes it's a guessing game to decide when to jump ship when you're not caught up on things. Spidey titles I've been REALLY behind on and saw this Other storyline coming up with Friendly Neighborhood Spidey, I said forget it, this was as good a time to jump ship and if it got good enough word of mouth I would get the trade. This thread and the treat of a bad redesign is convincing me I left at the right time.

Garth
01-13-2006, 04:59 AM
:hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :hulk:

I really need to stay out of Spider-Man threads, cause I just get so pissed off at everyone saying shit about the clone saga. Either that, or I need to start pissing on other people's favorite comics that I didn't like... Yeah, that's the ticket.

Blankets was the most disappointing comic I've ever read, and one of the few I regret buying. $30 for a very "meh" story that everyone made out to be the greatest comic ever.

Damn, that didn't feel as good as I hoped... I guess I'll just go cry in the corner. :cry:

aw, hey, I look back on the clone saga fondly. I believe it was too drawn out, but it really had some great moments and I enjoyed it. It was the first comics that I bought on a regular basis. And if they printed an omnibus or numerous trades collecting the saga, I would be right there with you purchasing them~

sto110
01-13-2006, 05:56 AM

hahhaha oops

i meant isn't there

changingshades
01-13-2006, 06:32 AM
All I want him to do if/when he's wearing that costume is to at some point say "You like anime? I'm anime all over shitbag!"

It would redeem everything.
Remind me to sodomize your childhood

allanpat
01-13-2006, 07:32 AM
it's pretty fuckin bad.

yeah, at least the clone saga started out with an interesting premise. The Other has been crap from issue #1

Ivan In Da Crypt
01-13-2006, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't mind that either. In fact the first costume that springs to mind is the prototyps Ross did for the first Spider-Man movie. I think those look cool.
http://sfstory.free.fr/images/Spiderman/spiderman1024.jpg
http://www.comicbookresources.com/images/previews/rossspidey/spider_07.jpg

Now yea the black and red look cool..... but this Alex Ross looks a bit gay-70s. I think its that spider and the eyes which i dont like.

Pat Shatner
01-13-2006, 09:34 AM
aw, hey, I look back on the clone saga fondly. I believe it was too drawn out, but it really had some great moments and I enjoyed it. It was the first comics that I bought on a regular basis. And if they printed an omnibus or numerous trades collecting the saga, I would be right there with you purchasing them~

Aw. I could hug you.

TheKraken
01-13-2006, 10:20 AM

Or you could just admit that was several years of horrible fucking drek and then when people said so, you wouldn't be offended... :D

Jef UK
01-13-2006, 10:38 AM
just because it is selling well doesnt mean it is tanking

This statement is a tautology.

bstie1198
01-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Or you could just admit that was several years of horrible fucking drek and then when people said so, you wouldn't be offended... :D

I could admit it, but I'd be lying. I've read every Spider-Man comic ever, with the exception of the Fear Itself GN, the Wizard 1/2 issue, a couple of out of continuity one shots (like the one with the Dallas Cowboys), and some guest appearances. The only eras where I think Spider-Man was more exiting and enjoyable are Lee/Ditko, Stern's runs on Spectacular and Amazing, the early Lee/Romita years, and Untold Tales of Spider-Man.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
01-13-2006, 11:07 AM
I tell you what!... JMS's run was good when he first came on ASM, everything before the return of Eziekel was great, then sadly it went downhill pretty fucking quickly.

but as for this period being the worst thing since the clone saga? no way! what about everything from Byrnes run till JMS's?!?! those issues made me wanna puke on the comic and then wipe my ass with it afterwards.

I too believe that the costume is fake, mainly for publicity (attempt to boost sales of The Other) and exactly to cause some fanboy bitching.... then i guess (hopefully) the real costume and storyline will rock the house!

Here's the problem, people got comfortable reading good Spidey stories for the first time, that all of a sudden when JMS wasn't delivering the goods on a regular basis there was a horrible backlash. People seem to forget that before he was on the book, there was a good stretch of Mackie/Byrne stories that lasted years following the Clone Saga that were bad bad bad. A few good issues in there and I hate giving Mackie a bad rap cuz he did what he could but just didn't have any stories left in him.

Don't forget, JMS saved Spider-Man. Yea, Jenkins was doing the awesome Uncle Ben stories, but when he wasn't he was hit or miss, and miss big. That's why I get pissed when people shit all over JMS.

Flonk
01-13-2006, 12:26 PM

The Byrne years were worse.

Flonk
01-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Here's the problem, people got comfortable reading good Spidey stories for the first time, that all of a sudden when JMS wasn't delivering the goods on a regular basis there was a horrible backlash. People seem to forget that before he was on the book, there was a good stretch of Mackie/Byrne stories that lasted years following the Clone Saga that were bad bad bad. A few good issues in there and I hate giving Mackie a bad rap cuz he did what he could but just didn't have any stories left in him.

Don't forget, JMS saved Spider-Man. Yea, Jenkins was doing the awesome Uncle Ben stories, but when he wasn't he was hit or miss, and miss big. That's why I get pissed when people shit all over JMS.

Mackie was always a shitty Spider-man writer. Even as a kid, I knew his stories were crap.

Ray G.
01-13-2006, 04:09 PM

Dude, the clone saga sucked. And it wasn't Ben Reilly's fault either. He was just another cool character screwed over by horrible editorial decisions. He never should have been Spider-man. The Scarlet Spider was cool enough.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
01-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Volume 1 of Peter Parker:Spider-Man issue 75 is probably my all-time favorite Spidey issue. I grew up on the 90s stuff and didn't hate the clone-saga at all. It was too long, but I didn't think it was a bad idea. Peter Parker losing his child to Norman Osborn? That was fucking amazing, and the opposite of what Norman felt Peter had done to him. A wasted opportunity, though, since no one has ever really referenced that tragedy since just because it was tied to the clone saga.

Regardless, death of Ben Reilly issue was the most intense issue of Spider-Man I've ever read next to the death of Gwen Stacy. Osborn ripping his shirt open to reveal the scar, Pete jumping over the rooftops sans uniform to go to his wife and child, and Ben Reilly saving Peter and getting impaled just like Norman. Then the ending, where Peter throws the bag of pumpkin bombs into Normans chest sending his flaming carcass spiraling below. That is the only Osborn/Spidey fight that has EVER mattered to me because it was 20 years in the making. Any confrontations they've had since have been shit in comparison and nowhere near as intense.

sto110
01-13-2006, 05:06 PM
guess it is at least going to be used for a few issues http://www.newsarama.com/JoeFridays/JF33art/JQ_V01.jpg

bstie1198
01-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Dude, the clone saga sucked.

No, you're thinking of the New York Jets. :twisted:

Pat Shatner
01-13-2006, 05:21 PM
No, you're thinking of the New York Jets. :twisted:
High Five!