PDA

View Full Version : So I just had Lasik...

SethInAz
01-01-2006, 08:54 AM
in my right eye. I'm getting the left one done Thursday. I now have 20/15 vision without astigmatism in my right eye, and 20/400 with astigmatism in my left eye. It's SO disorienting. The procedure didn't hurt at all, and I was under the laser for about 10 minutes total, 2 minutes of it actually running.

Oh and the reason I had to split up the eyes was so my dad could use Flex plan money set aside each calendar year to pay for it. Now I gotta try and play my trombone.

kari
01-01-2006, 08:58 AM
good for you. I have been thinking about doing this my eye doc says I am a perfect canidate. if you don't mind me asking how much?

SethInAz
01-01-2006, 09:06 AM
The best thing you can do is shop around. I had two free consultations at different doctors in the area. Both recommended two different lasers with about $1,300 total difference. I went with the doctor who had less experience but was amazingly personable with me through Lasik Plus (check them out, they are nation-wide). His office and staff were nicer/quieter than the other place that made me feel like a numbered sheep going off to the slaughter. Lasik Plus gave me the price of $2700 for both eyes. The price largely hinges on your prescription and insurance discount.

AAlgar
01-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Hey cool. I'm getting this within the next couple of weeks. :boogie:

SethInAz
01-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Good for you man! Despite being blind in one eye and blond in the other right now, it's great! Thursday can't get here fast enough.

AAlgar
01-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Good for you man! Despite being blind in one eye and blond in the other right now, it's great! Thursday can't get here fast enough.

It was a Christmas gift. I can hardly wait. :D

Genius J
01-01-2006, 09:11 AM
I can't get Lasik because my corneas are too thin. Pisses me off, too. :-x

kari
01-01-2006, 09:13 AM
thanks Seth for the info.

SethInAz
01-01-2006, 09:22 AM

did you check in to Lasek, or PRK/surface abrasion as an alternative?

King of Mars
01-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Perhaps it's irrational fear, but I just can't bring myself to have this done. The thought of someone fucking with my eyes makes me uneasy. Plus, I'd like to see what the long term effects of having this done might be before I go through with it. Could it lead to potential problems down the line? It's still a new enough procedure that ya can't really know.

sumopanda
01-01-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm sooooo jealous of you!!!

Evan the Shaggy
01-01-2006, 11:02 AM
I would like to get it, but I'm worried because the long term effects haven't been documented.

SethInAz
01-01-2006, 01:37 PM
I had the same worries until I found out exactly what they do with the laser. They make a flap, which heals in about a couple days due to the eye cell's ability to heal quickly, and then make adjustments with the laser, taking microns worth of tissue of the cornea. This adjusts the focal point of light on the lens. It's hard to believe that removing tissue on that small a scale will have any terrible side effects down the line.

Now as I get older and reach about 45 in about 25 years, I will still need reading glasses since the lens itself generally loses flexibility. This can't be corrected. And they also wait until your eye prescription has stabilized for at least 3 years or so before doing the procedure. I also get free enhancements for life, in case something does happen and I need another correction.

Taki Soma
01-01-2006, 01:45 PM
I want a surgery where I can have lasers coming OUT of my eyes.

DrMachine
01-01-2006, 01:48 PM
It's hard to believe that removing tissue on that small a scale will have any terrible side effects down the line.

uh yeah...cancer starts with only a single cell...

(that statement had nothing to do with Lasik...I'm just referring to the part of the statement I quoted)

Taki Soma
01-01-2006, 01:50 PM

(that statement had nothing to do with Lasik...I'm just referring to the part of the statement I quoted)
radical!

DrMachine
01-01-2006, 01:51 PM
radical!

cowabunga?

SethInAz
01-01-2006, 02:18 PM

that's fine... but how would the procedure cause cancer?

Caley Tibbittz
01-01-2006, 02:21 PM
I want a surgery where I can have lasers coming OUT of my eyes.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Beep Beep!
01-01-2006, 02:28 PM
It's still a new enough procedure that ya can't really know.

I had my right eye done in 98; still here & feelin' fine!

(didn't need the left eye done; was nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other)

King of Mars
01-01-2006, 02:41 PM
that's fine... but how would the procedure cause cancer?I don't think he's saying that. He's just saying that one cell can be responsible for a lot of problems.

wh park
01-01-2006, 06:19 PM
I've been glasses free for about a year and a half now and I have absolutely no complaints at all.

If you can afford it go do it.

DrMachine
01-01-2006, 06:21 PM
that's fine... but how would the procedure cause cancer?

actually any number of ways...anytime you stress cells it could potentially lead to the activation of oncogenes

just as an example:

wearing clothes could be enough of a stress to individual cells to cause cancer

SethInAz
01-01-2006, 07:46 PM
actually any number of ways...anytime you stress cells it could potentially lead to the activation of oncogenes

just as an example:

wearing clothes could be enough of a stress to individual cells to cause cancer

you're just trying to get me naked. ;-)

Blandy vs Terrorism
01-01-2006, 07:50 PM
I'll be getting this done at some point. I would do it with the army for free, but I don't have enough time left in. (hopefully)

Randomus
01-01-2006, 07:53 PM
I've had glasses since I was 4. Lasik would be nice, but I wouldn't be able to get used to life without glasses.

SethInAz
01-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Then get sunglasses!

Randomus
01-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Hah! I would wear them at night, naturally.

DrMachine
01-01-2006, 07:58 PM
I'll be getting this done at some point. I would do it with the army for free, but I don't have enough time left in. (hopefully)

My sister told me that they (the army) wouldn't let her do it because it may damage her eyesight

COTE
01-01-2006, 08:28 PM
well i got my PRK for free from the army in april

lasik and prk are offered in the army for free to active duty that meets the requirments

but lasik limits the options later on in the military such as not being able to go HALO, or Special Forces

Brian Reed
01-01-2006, 09:31 PM

Same problem here.

When the doctor was explaining it to me, he was showing me all these pictures of eyeball parts and I became very paranoid that my corneas might pop when any stray bit of dust hit them. :surrend:

The Human Target
01-01-2006, 11:30 PM
I was told I'd be a perfect candidate for this, and if I had the money I would get it done.