PDA

View Full Version : Buffy 40-disc box set

Shawn_Kehoe
12-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Hey,

I found this at HMV on Boxing Day for a considerable discount, so I picked it up with the intention of selling my sets of the first four seasons. I love how they've done the packaging - not only the big box, but how each season is in its own multi-cd case. It makes it easier for me to loan out individual seasons, and reminds me of how inefficient most DVD packaging is.

Oh yes, and I started watching them with season 5, since I already owned the first four seasons. The temptation to watch the entire run is strong though, so perhaps in the future...

Here's hoping for an Angel set in 2006.

Shawn

Howlett
12-29-2005, 04:01 PM
There either is or will be an Angel set and there will be a Buffy/ Angel combined set as well :)

james michael
12-29-2005, 04:07 PM
this kind of upsets me... you spend aroun $350 for all 7 seasons (roughly) then they give you this for $300 with some extras you cant get elsewhere... it makes me wary of buying any tv shows on dvd, for fear of getting fucked when the ultimate package is released with more stuff for less than i paid the first time around...

Taki Soma
12-29-2005, 04:11 PM
this kind of upsets me... you spend aroun $350 for all 7 seasons (roughly) then they give you this for $300 with some extras you cant get elsewhere... it makes me wary of buying any tv shows on dvd, for fear of getting fucked when the ultimate package is released with more stuff for less than i paid the first time around...
i got mine for under $150

james michael
12-29-2005, 04:12 PM
online somewhere?

Taki Soma
12-29-2005, 04:13 PM
online somewhere?
yea.

rewatching the entire series. I'm on early season 4 right now.

james michael
12-29-2005, 04:15 PM
yea.

rewatching the entire series. I'm on early season 4 right now.
season four was the worst, yet it also had some of the best episodes of the run (fear itself, hush)...

ive always found that to be odd, finding the strongest stuff in the weakest...

Taki Soma
12-29-2005, 04:20 PM
season four was the worst, yet it also had some of the best episodes of the run (fear itself, hush)...

oh totally. and I was even going to add that season four in fact was my least fave, but I do remember some very good eps like you mentioned.

they're all very good overall. just that some seasons are better than the others.

Howlett
12-29-2005, 04:20 PM

Thats very true actually :?

I hadn't thought of that.

Shawn_Kehoe
12-29-2005, 05:13 PM

Yeah, that was my reaction as well. But I got the set for $180 Cdn, and figure I can get $80 to $100 for my four existing sets. Still, it does seem like an attempt at double dips, since most of the target audience will have bought it already.

Season 4 is the weakest? Hmm, I guess it would be a tossup between that or season 6 in my books. Each has spectacular and atrocious episiodes.

Shawn

TonyFleecs
12-29-2005, 05:19 PM
That boxset is the shit! stole my life away for 3 straight weeks. And you guys were right, great fucking show.

Worst season for me... wichever was the Riley season. Fuckin Riley!!:-x

Here's hoping for an Angel set in 2006.
word. I need to get some work done though before it comes out, I can't afford another setback like that.

Taki Soma
12-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Yeah, that was my reaction as well. But I got the set for $180 Cdn, and figure I can get $80 to $100 for my four existing sets. Still, it does seem like an attempt at double dips, since most of the target audience will have bought it already.

Season 4 is the weakest? Hmm, I guess it would be a tossup between that or season 6 in my books. Each has spectacular and atrocious episiodes.

Shawnyea but season 6 had THE best season finale of all finales!!!

'bored now...'

Shawn_Kehoe
12-30-2005, 05:16 AM
yea but season 6 had THE best season finale of all finales!!!

'bored now...'

Yeah, the Dark Willow episodes were a highlight, as was the musical. I don't recall feeling that Tabula Rasa was particularly special, which makes its popularity a little odd from my perspective.

Still, 4 exceptional episodes do not a 22-episode season make.

Shawn

bachman
12-30-2005, 06:00 AM
Silly people.

Every Buffy season is good, but season 6 was clearly the "least best".

Earlier seasons had such greats as Angelus, The Mayor, "Hush", "The Body", "The Gift".

And where 6 had one good episode (musical), the rest was 21 episodes of pure doom/gloom/depressing, with no balance of levity or fun, like every other season.

A few more specific examples of the non-goodness of season 6 includes:

-Lame demon Biker gang being the main bad guys for the first 2 episodes
- Everyone being miserable and depressed almost every episode
- The "big bad" being nerds ("Hey man its cool! It's like real life!". No, it's not. It's dumb)
- Willow's after school special drug addiction (the lamest most thinly veiled metaphor on tv history)
- Spike violating Buffy every 5 minutes, shown in vivid detail (but I'm sure the goths loved this)
- Buffy getting a job at a fast-food restaurant

Whedon's focus on Angel and Firefly was clearly apparent.

Taki Soma
12-30-2005, 06:05 AM
Silly people.

Earlier seasons had such greats as Angelus, The Mayor, "Hush", "The Body", "The Gift".

And where 6 had one good episode (musical), the rest was 21 episodes of pure doom/gloom/depressing, with no balance of levity or fun, like every other season.

- The "big bad" being nerds ("Hey man its cool! It's like real life!". No, it's not. It's dumb)
- Willow's after school special drug addiction (the lamest most thinly veiled metaphor on tv history)
- Spike violating Buffy every 5 minutes, shown in vivid detail (but I'm sure the goths loved this)

Whedon's focus on Angel and Firefly was clearly apparent.
but... but... bad willow.... so awesome...

bachman
12-30-2005, 06:15 AM
but... but... bad willow.... so awesome...

Evil Willow vs. Buffy was kinda cool, I will admit.

And that does remind me of the season's coolest moment, the return of Giles.

bachman
12-30-2005, 06:19 AM
That boxset is the shit! stole my life away for 3 straight weeks. And you guys were right, great fucking show.

Worst season for me... wichever was the Riley season. Fuckin Riley!!:-x

word. I need to get some work done though before it comes out, I can't afford another setback like that.

Season 4 featured the greatest character in the history of the Buffyverse...

Graham. So quiet...so mysterious.

Taki Soma
12-30-2005, 06:44 AM
Evil Willow vs. Buffy was kinda cool, I will admit.

And that does remind me of the season's coolest moment, the return of Giles.
oooh yea! Giles!!!

Kensington
12-30-2005, 07:53 AM
i got mine for under $150I saw it instore at Best Buy for $199 just a couple of days ago...

Taki Soma
12-30-2005, 07:54 AM
I saw it instore at Best Buy for $199 just a couple of days ago...
luckily, I got it through a website and I had a coupon code for it too, so it was like $140 including shipping... well... it was free shipping...

james michael
12-30-2005, 07:56 AM
i let an extra from season three fuck me and he gave me a set...

Kensington
12-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Silly people.

Whedon's focus on Angel and Firefly was clearly apparent.Foolish, foolish man. Clearly, Season 7 is the nadir of Buffydom. It's the only season I have no desire to ever rewatch. After a strong start, the whole thing falls apart as soon as the potentials show up. The final arc is almost incoherent and the death of Anya is treated disgracefully. The first is a lousy villain, inasmuch as it is incorporal and powerless. The inclusion of Nathan Fillion as the preacher in the final arc is a desperate last-minute attempt to give the season some heft, and let's not even get into the absurdity of everyone turning on Buffy three episodes from the end. They couldn't make that plausible, because it couldn't be plausible.

Season 7, more than any previous year, is riddled with Macguffins and ominous portents that lead to nothing. Can anyone possibly tell me what was the point of Joyce in "Conversations with Dead People"? "Buffy won't choose you?" Wha-huh? That amounted to nothing. As to your complaints with season 6, I dismiss them thusly:

-The first two episodes were about Buffy's return, and the circumstances surrounding it. The villains were almost completely beside the point. Anything more charismatic than the biker gang would have been a distraction.

-The big bad were not nerds, everyone had their own big bad, and it turned out to be themselves. This applied to the nerds as well. As far as they went, however, I really appreciated how they went from being ineffectual nerds to being consequential, murdering, villains.

-The metaphor for magic as drugs was more potent, and relevant, to the young Buffy audience than a more obvious drugs as corrupting power metaphor would have been. Kids can relate to drug problems, but what kid can relate to getting so much power that it corrupts them?

-Spike violating Buffy didn't bother me at all. It made sense in the context of their relationship and in particular Buffy's sense of disconnection from life.

and finally

-Buffy had to make money, and she didn't have much in the way of marketable skills that would also allow her to take care of Dawn.

Plus, as you noted, Season Six featured "Once More With Feeling," one of the finest, most ambitious and satisfying hours in television history.

niceguyeddie
12-30-2005, 08:56 AM
you bums.
now I have to save up even more money to get the boxed set.
and i still haven't even been back to the shop to pick up my comics in like 3 weeks.

bachman
12-30-2005, 09:00 AM
Foolish, foolish man.

Stupid head!!!!

All right, you've forced me to break out "The Order".

Season 2
Season 3
Season 5
Season 1
Season 4
Season 7
Season 6

Kensington
12-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Stupid head!!!!
My head is not stupid! I'm going to have you banned for that.
:banned:
I like you much better when you're eviscerating the hippies. :no:

Here, by the way, is the correct order:
Season 2
Season 3
Season 5
Season 6
Season 1
Season 4
Season 7

The only season which outright sucks is season 7.

And while we're at it:

Angel 3
Angel 2
Angel 1
Angel 5
Angel 4

xyzzy
12-30-2005, 09:08 AM
My head is not stupid! I'm going to have you banned for that.
:banned:
I like you much better when you're eviscerating the hippies. :no:

Here, by the way, is the correct order:
Season 2
Season 3
Season 5
Season 6
Season 1
Season 4
Season 7

The only season which outright sucks is season 7.

I can tell from your order, that you care more about the seasonal arcs than the individual episodes. 'Cause there's no way that 4 is that low otherwise. And the first part of 7 is pretty enjoyable.

Kensington
12-30-2005, 09:14 AM
I can tell from your order, that you care more about the seasonal arcs than the individual episodes. 'Cause there's no way that 4 is that low otherwise. And the first part of 7 is pretty enjoyable.I'm all about the arcs, baby! The inclusion of a season arc is part of why I loved the new Dr Who series, too.

By the way, I don't mean to dismiss Buffy 4. I enjoyed it very much, much more than I anticipated aftering hearing so many bad reviews. It was just different, not bad. Riley was a wonderful character. And one reason why I rate Buffy 7 so low is because it lost its way after a very strong start. I dare say everything up to "Conversations with Dead People" was first rate, at least until you realize that they aren't going to follow up on any of the premonitions and actually play out a coherent arc. Criticizing Buffy gives me no joy, mind you.

xyzzy
12-30-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm all about the arcs, baby! The inclusion of a season arc is part of why I loved the new Dr Who series, too.

Nothing wrong with that. I was just making an observation based on your list. For me, I care much more about the individual episodes than the arc. I'd probably go: 5, 4, 3, 6, 2, 7, 1

Taki Soma
12-30-2005, 09:25 AM
I know lots of people weren't really up on the season 7 love, but I loved that season. It probably helped that when watching it, it's the last season of the series and that I better savour every little morsel it represented.

I also heard that season 7 has about 2 seasons worth of stories crammed into one because SMG was not going to return to the show after season 7; and that helped me ease the 'too rushed' feeling the last season had.

xyzzy
12-30-2005, 09:26 AM
I know lots of people weren't really up on the season 7 love, but I loved that season. It probably helped that when watching it, it's the last season of the series and that I better savour every little morsel it represented.

I also heard that season 7 has about 2 seasons worth of stories crammed into one because SMG was not going to return to the show after season 7; and that helped me ease the 'too rushed' feeling the last season had.

I love the first part of the season, but the second that every single episode becomes about the story arc, I lose interest.

I do like Andrew, though.

Kensington
12-30-2005, 09:33 AM

I also heard that season 7 has about 2 seasons worth of stories crammed into one because SMG was not going to return to the show after season 7; and that helped me ease the 'too rushed' feeling the last season had.Season 7 was the only time I managed to remain completely spoiler-free throughout, and I loved a great deal of it in the moment, especially the first third. It's just that it holds up less to scrutiny after the fact and yields less reward for the attention than any other season. I really think the biggest miscalculation was using an incorporeal, esoteric big bad. Had they just gone with the evil preacher from the start, or let the First embody Buffy without simply being a ghost, the arc might have been stronger.

TonyFleecs
12-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Foolish, foolish man. Clearly, Season 7 is the nadir of Buffydom. It's the only season I have no desire to ever rewatch. After a strong start, the whole thing falls apart as soon as the potentials show up..
I drank with one of the potentials this summer.... one of the no line having potentials, but still...

TonyFleecs
12-30-2005, 12:00 PM
$130 baby! Amazon pre-order.