PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap! Xbox 360 and Nissan.

Jim.
12-28-2005, 11:27 AM
DETROIT — Dec. 28, 2005 — Nissan North America Inc.(NNA) and Microsoft Corp. have merged automobile design and gaming technology to create the first-ever fully integrated gaming system within a vehicle. Conceived by Nissan Design America Inc. (NDA) and equipped with the Xbox 360™ next-generation video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the Nissan URGE concept car allows drivers (while parked) to play “Project Gotham Racing® 3” using the car’s own steering wheel, gas pedal and brake pedal while viewing the game on a flip-down seven-inch LCD screen. “PGR® 3” is developed exclusively for Xbox 360 by Bizarre Creations Ltd. for Microsoft Game Studios.

The URGE, which will make its world debut at the 2006 North American International Auto Show on Jan. 9, offers a glimpse of how echo boomers are influencing the next generation of vehicle design.

“Nissan conducted an Internet survey of 2,000 echo boomers, a majority of which said technology and gaming are among the most important attributes in their first car,” said Bruce Campbell, vice president of design at Nissan Design America in La Jolla, Calif. “Xbox 360 offered the latest in technology and was already a favorite among this audience.”

The Nissan URGE, outfitted with an Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system, puts the controls of the world’s most powerful gaming console at the hands and feet of the driver. Implemented by the designers at Nissan Design America with the guidance of Microsoft engineers, the Nissan URGE delivers an immersive driving experience not available in any living room.

The URGE concept car is equipped with the award-winning “PGR 3,” which allows drivers to control a breathtaking trip through the streets of five photo-realistic locations: New York City, London, Las Vegas, Tokyo and the Nurburgring test track in Germany. “PGR 3” drivers view and play the game on a flip-down LCD screen, which doubles as a rear-view mirror when the car is being used for real driving. They control the action using the Nissan URGE’s race-inspired steering wheel, gas pedal and brake pedal. A Nissan URGE driver can, for example, maneuver through the streets of New York, park the car and fire up the Xbox 360, then virtually race through the same streets using the same steering wheel, gas pedal and brake pedal — blurring fantasy and reality in a way that the automotive world has never before seen.

Fourthman
12-28-2005, 11:31 AM
"Echo Boomer"?

Smokinblues
12-28-2005, 11:33 AM
"Echo Boomer"?

I was wondering about that myself...is that what Gen Xer's are called now?

Jonny Z
12-28-2005, 11:36 AM
hmm i think i prefer real driving

Briomega
12-28-2005, 12:28 PM
"Echo Boomer"?

Yeah, saw this posted at Major Nelson's site and the same thought ran through my head. I've never heard that term used before.

bstie1198
12-28-2005, 12:31 PM
"Echo Boomer"?

Never heard of it, either.

Maybe it's a term for a second baby boom resulting from the baby boomers starting families?

That's the best I can come up with.

Fourthman
12-28-2005, 12:34 PM
Never heard of it, either.

Maybe it's a term for a second baby boom resulting from the baby boomers starting families?

That's the best I can come up with.
SOURCE (http://www.worldwidewords.org/turnsofphrase/tp-ech1.htm)

ECHO BOOMER

The advertising industry seems obsessed with finding fresh groups to sell things to, and then giving them names that are more or less meaningless. This is one of the more recent categories to come from the marketers’ imaginations, which may first have hit the public gaze in an article in Time in 1995. Echo boomers were born between the late 1970s and the early 1990s. They’re mostly the children of Baby Boomers (so, an echo of them, hence the name) and their oldest members are now moving into adulthood. They have been stereotyped as ethnically diverse children of the computer age, conformist, and untroubled by the generation gap. This group is large (three times that of the preceding Generation X) and is posing demographic problems, especially in education. The group is known by several other names—as the Millennial Generation (or the Millennials) and as Generation Y (or Gen Y, with individuals being Gen Yers). But the terminology is muddled, with Generation Y—as you might expect—being limited by some to the children of Generation X parents, or those born after about 1983. (And Generation X itself is actually a comparatively recent term, being popularised only by Douglas Coupland’s book of that title of 1991.)

Weaned on video games, Echo Boomers are the first generation to claim the computer as birthright. They troubleshoot the home PC and teach their parents the fine points of e-mail and Internet navigation.

[The Salt Lake Tribune March 1998]

Which isn’t to say echo boomers aren’t brand-conscious. Bombarded by ad messages since birth, how could they not be? But marketing experts say they form a less homogeneous market than their parents did.

[Business Week, Feb. 1999]

Constant Reader
12-28-2005, 01:06 PM
I want a car equipped with Grand Theft Auto.

CR

Criden
12-28-2005, 01:09 PM
That's going to cause a lot of confusion and accidents, I predict.

BWC Boston
12-28-2005, 01:20 PM
I want a car equipped with Grand Theft Auto.

CR
I want a car eqipped with an Echo Boomer. I bet the new Kanye would sound badass.