PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man:The Other-appreciation

Pat Shatner
12-28-2005, 09:10 AM
My mother went to my LCS and picked up the 2 months of comics i've missed while at school. To my surprise she was able to pick out every issue of THE OTHER and put them in order for me (my mom doesn't know a thing about comics). I sat down and read everything that's come out so far and you know what? I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Normally i'm not a fan of Hudlin's writing, and I can't stand Pat Lee's art but even with those gripes I'm still digging this story. When I came into comics about 10 years ago the Spidey line was in the middle of the clone saga. I was raised (comics-wise) on line-wide crossovers and I loved them. Reading THE OTHER reminded me of those crossovers, and how I love the interweaving of one story throughout a few books. Even with the three writers switching off, this story flows pretty seamlessly (for me at least).

The last two parts of the story with Peter on the verge of death coming back and impaling Morlun, and then the excellent follow-up issue where MJ mourns her loss really got me going, and i'm actually excited to see what hatches out of that coccoon on the next cover.

A lot of people don't like this story or they don't like the crossover "event", which I understand, but this story has me enjoying the core Spidey titles much more than I have in years. Kudos to JMS, David and Hudlin for crafting the story.

Oh, and it's fucking great to see Wieringo back on a spidey book. He drew the shit out of Ben Reilly back in the day. :)

The Human Target
12-28-2005, 10:21 AM
I.........you........that.........:nonono2:

Kefky
12-28-2005, 10:23 AM
I apreciate your courage, but you'd better be ready for the retaliation. ;)

Shannon Chenoweth
12-28-2005, 10:23 AM
Wait, you ENJOYED the Other? Um, ok.
I enjoy David and JMS' work, but this so far has not been very good IMO.

Colin Boylan
12-28-2005, 10:25 AM
I guess anything's good if you were raised with the Clone Saga.

Jonny Z
12-28-2005, 10:26 AM
The last two parts of the story with Peter on the verge of death coming back and impaling Morlun, and then the excellent follow-up issue where MJ mourns her loss really got me going, and i'm actually excited to see what hatches out of that coccoon on the next cover.

I think the problem a lot of people have is that it took like 8 or 9 issues or something to get to that point that has you all excited. and it's a 12 part story. :-?

Kefky
12-28-2005, 10:27 AM
I think the problem a lot of people have is that it took like 8 or 9 issues or something to get to that point that has you all excited. and it's a 12 part story. :-?

More like 6 or 7 actually. :p

Howlett
12-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Good for you man, I'm glad you did. I've been pretty much indifferent to the story, it's had it's moments that I've enjoyed and more moments I didn't but I haven't hated it like everyone else has. I was waiting for it to finish so I could read it again in one sitting to make a judgement (like any crossover I read).

I get the feeling that, for the most part, it won't be as bad to read in one go. I still don't think it'll be anywhere as good as most crossovers but I've read far, FAR worse in my time.

Jonny Z
12-28-2005, 10:30 AM
More like 6 or 7 actually. :p

eh just about the same difference.

we had 6 issues of set up leading us up to a point we already knew we were getting to based on every single solicit and mention of future issues. we all knew peter was going into a cocoon. it shouldnt have taken so long to get there.

Shade
12-28-2005, 10:32 AM
i just gotta say one thing.

Aunt May in an Iron man suit has to be the worst thing in comics this year.

Kefky
I don't have much hope for THIS story, but depending on how things end, I'll still be giving all three spidey books a try. One dud doesn't make them horrible writers for life.

From what PAD's described it, his after issue sounds like it could be really good. We'll see.

Kefky

Oh, pipe down, will ya? Hudlin's probably never gonna touch a spidey book in his life after this anyway.

Shannon Chenoweth
12-28-2005, 10:33 AM
I will be reading Friendly Neighborhood for at least an arc after this, because I was excited about David on a Spidey title.

NCKfury27
12-28-2005, 10:36 AM

that really fuckin' happened!?! HOLY SHIT!!! thought that was a joke!!!

A.Huerta
12-28-2005, 10:36 AM
I just saw the issue with Pat Lees art and... it is bad. After drawing so many comics, the man still has no understanding of emotion and anatomy.

abuddah
12-28-2005, 10:53 AM

You forget the cherry on top of the sundae: They were using them to TIME TRAVEL WITH DOOM'S TIME MACHINE

This is an awful story. Awful

Pat Shatner
12-28-2005, 10:53 AM

Okay, i'm going to agree with that wholeheartedly. That whole issue was kind of ridiculous and could have been left out.

But i'm sticking to my guns on this otherwise.

Gavin
12-28-2005, 10:55 AM

How did I not hear about that? That's horrible. That should get some sort of Bizarro Eisner for worst comic idea of the year.

Shade
12-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Oh, pipe down, will ya? Hudlin's probably never gonna touch a spidey book in his life after this anyway.

I cant believe that Hudlin is the same guy that produces the boondocks.

Pat Shatner
12-28-2005, 10:58 AM
eh just about the same difference.

we had 6 issues of set up leading us up to a point we already knew we were getting to based on every single solicit and mention of future issues. we all knew peter was going into a cocoon. it shouldnt have taken so long to get there.

But with the individual parts coming out almost weekly (or bi-weekly?), it didn't really take that long. They could have done this in a 12 issue monthly format. THAT would have taken fucking forever to get down to it. The way its set up, though, the story only goes for 3 months or so.

Kefky
12-28-2005, 10:58 AM
I cant believe that Hudlin is the same guy that produces the boondocks.

Producing and writing are VERY different things.

Pat Shatner
12-28-2005, 10:59 AM
How did I not hear about that? That's horrible. That should get some sort of Bizarro Eisner for worst comic idea of the year.

Peter took MJ and Aunt May to Doom's castle. Tony Stark loaned them his old, silver age costumes. They (yes, all three of them) proceeded to fight Doom-bots and then time travel. It was totally assinine. And it had Pat Lee art too.

TheKraken
12-28-2005, 12:22 PM
My mother went to my LCS and picked up the 2 months of comics i've missed while at school. To my surprise she was able to pick out every issue of THE OTHER and put them in order for me (my mom doesn't know a thing about comics). I sat down and read everything that's come out so far and you know what? I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Normally i'm not a fan of Hudlin's writing, and I can't stand Pat Lee's art but even with those gripes I'm still digging this story. When I came into comics about 10 years ago the Spidey line was in the middle of the clone saga. I was raised (comics-wise) on line-wide crossovers and I loved them. Reading THE OTHER reminded me of those crossovers, and how I love the interweaving of one story throughout a few books. Even with the three writers switching off, this story flows pretty seamlessly (for me at least).

A lot of people don't like this story or they don't like the crossover "event", which I understand, but this story has me enjoying the core Spidey titles much more than I have in years. Kudos to JMS, David and Hudlin for crafting the story.

Oh, and it's fucking great to see Wieringo back on a spidey book. He drew the shit out of Ben Reilly back in the day. :)

Man, first you love the spider clone and now this... Do you just like to punish yourself or something?

Jonny Z
12-28-2005, 12:33 PM
But with the individual parts coming out almost weekly (or bi-weekly?), it didn't really take that long. They could have done this in a 12 issue monthly format. THAT would have taken fucking forever to get down to it. The way its set up, though, the story only goes for 3 months or so.

so?

it's still the same price- i'm paying for the same amount of issues for a story that can be told in at least half that amount of pages.

Pat Shatner
12-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Man, first you love the spider clone and now this... Do you just like to punish yourself or something?

I'm a glutton for it, man.