PDA

View Full Version : 2005: The year Boss fights became cool again

Shawn_Kehoe
12-24-2005, 05:26 PM
I've been reading over the various year reviews on Gamespot, IGN and their ilk, and came to this conclusion. Specifically, Resident Evil 4, God of War and Shadow of the Colossus all have amazing bosses.

If I had to pick the coolest, I'd probably go with El Gigante from RE4. If I had to pick the toughest, the final boss from God of War wins hands down. He has the power to jam my PS2 whenever I get close to beating him - stupid glitches. ;)

Any other cool boss fights I might have missed?

Shawn

Ray G.
12-24-2005, 05:28 PM
Shadow of the Colossus - the entire fucking game.

Boss fights are just about the best part of gaming, in my opinion. So it's good to see some real effort going into them again.

copypastepuke
12-24-2005, 05:32 PM
i like mini-bosses

mike black
12-24-2005, 05:34 PM
If I had to pick the toughest, the final boss from God of War wins hands down. He has the power to jam my PS2 whenever I get close to beating him - stupid glitches. ;)

That happened to me! I was running around as Kratos, unable to interface with the rest of the game for 5 minutes! I wanted to cry. Thankfully I beat him the second time through.

Evan the Shaggy
12-24-2005, 05:36 PM
You forgot the Metal Gear Solid 3 Boss fight against the End.

One of the best boss fights ever.

Vonn Hennigar
12-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Metal Gear Solid 3 was Released in 2004.
And I'm still stuck on that Invisible Predator Dude in the Booby Trapped Forest.
My health and Bandage/Anti-Virus Poison Shit is Low so a couple of hits and I'm toast.
I saved the game as the Boss Fight Started.
Oh and the fight against The Bee Guy literally lasted about 30 Minutes Straight.
Damn Fine Game!

Blandy vs Terrorism
12-24-2005, 05:44 PM
The bosses in God of War were great; I just wish there had been more of them.

copypastepuke
12-24-2005, 05:47 PM
I would love to say that the bosses in ULT. SPIDERMAN were awesome... but most of htem were just annoying.

Vonn Hennigar
12-24-2005, 05:48 PM
http://media.grab.com/media/photos/small/00025/10/08/360810.jpg

Respect The Original Gangsta, Bitches :lol:

mike black
12-24-2005, 05:49 PM
The bosses in God of War were great; I just wish there had been more of them.

I think the fight against the Minotaur was fucking top tier. Gorgeous animations.

noble
12-24-2005, 06:01 PM
The hydra fight at the beginning of God of War.

The two gigantes in the molten pit room in RE4.

The Vizier at the end of Prince of Persia two Thrones.

The flying Colossus on Shadow of the Colossus.

Hulk VS thunderbolt ross in the uber Hulk buster.

Damn good year for games :D

Shawn_Kehoe
12-24-2005, 06:39 PM
I agree, the battle with the Minotaur was probably my favourite.

As for the Ares glitch, it has happened to me twice - each time during the third/final battle when they lock swords. I've read at IGN that the glitch may be linked to a specific part of the arena, so I'll have to keep that in mind - as if I didn't have enough concerns with that fight to begin with :D

Another boss worthy of note is the Giger-like monster from the tunnels in RE4. He easily has the best build up of any boss in the game, attacking from above and below before you ever get a full look at him. I was so freaked out the first time I saw him that he was automatically nominated for rocket launcher practice. That sequence is one of the few times that the game goes from intense to frightening...

Shawn

mike black
12-24-2005, 06:44 PM
I agree, the battle with the Minotaur was probably my favourite.

As for the Ares glitch, it has happened to me twice - each time during the third/final battle when they lock swords. I've read at IGN that the glitch may be linked to a specific part of the arena, so I'll have to keep that in mind - as if I didn't have enough concerns with that fight to begin with :D

Another boss worthy of note is the Giger-like monster from the tunnels in RE4. He easily has the best build up of any boss in the game, attacking from above and below before you ever get a full look at him. I was so freaked out the first time I saw him that he was automatically nominated for rocket launcher practice. That sequence is one of the few times that the game goes from intense to frightening...

Shawn

Odd, it didn't lock up on me until the final blow. Lower right hand part of the dock area, right?

Shawn_Kehoe
12-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Odd, it didn't lock up on me until the final blow. Lower right hand part of the dock area, right?

The whole screen freezes up while the audio continues ... it doesn't respond to the controller at all. The position is just to the right of where you begin in the last round. I can't remember where that is in relation to the geography. I think we may have different bugs.

Shawn

LordKinbote
12-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Psychonauts, bitches! You get to fight:

A gigantic censor
A crazed den mother
A hideous mutant lungfish
A Japanese hero parody
A Spanish bull...and then the matador
An evil theater critic
A four story butcher

I'm probably missing some, but all the fights were a joy.

DaGetHighKnight
12-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Resident Evil 4 bosses own all.

Randomus
12-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Metal Gear Solid 3 was Released in 2004.
And I'm still stuck on that Invisible Predator Dude in the Booby Trapped Forest.
My health and Bandage/Anti-Virus Poison Shit is Low so a couple of hits and I'm toast.
I saved the game as the Boss Fight Started.
Oh and the fight against The Bee Guy literally lasted about 30 Minutes Straight.
Damn Fine Game!
The Fear can be one of the shortest fights in the game. See those poison frogs? Keep them in view. Dodge his attacks (just keep running, it's not hard to avoid the booby traps) until he stops and starts to come down to eat. Shoot one of the poison frogs. He will eat it because hey, prepared food! He will get poisoned and throw up, losing some of his stamina. Peg him in the head with your tranq rounds while he's down. Rinse and repeat until he's dead.
I'm on my third play-through of the game. :P It's weird, 'cuz I hated the previous two MGS games.

Samurai Western had some damn fine boss fights, too.