PDA

View Full Version : not sure if i am gonna stick w/THe Pulse after Bendis and Jessica leave

greg donovan
12-22-2005, 07:22 PM
i read the pulse for two reasons:

Jessica and Bendis.

not sure if i will keep reading after they leave and jenkins takes over.

i will buy the first issue to see what's up. but it better be pretty damn enticing to keep my money.

where do my fellow Jessica Jones fans sit on this one?

edit to add: after reading this thread and learning more about the direction jenkins is going to go w/Sally I think I will stick around for the 1st arc to see what is going on.

LenNWallace
12-22-2005, 07:24 PM
I'll check it out. The new team is promising. I might end up going trade only with it. If they're sticking with a bi-monthly schedual on this, I'll more than likely not be able to put up with single issues.

THWIP!
12-22-2005, 07:24 PM

Jessica and Bendis.

i will buy the first issue to see what's up. but it better be pretty damn enticing to keep my money.

I'm with you but because of the Gaydos art. I'm not liking the art in Generation M and if that's who taking over then I'll probably drop it.

Vonn Hennigar
12-22-2005, 07:26 PM
I know Paul Jenkins and Ramon Bachs are taking over but what is this about Jessica Leaving? Sure she'll be a new mom but why would they remove Jess from what is essentially her own book.

Thudpucker
12-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Never read Pulse, I stopped reading when Alias was cancelled. The new direction never did much for me.

Humphrey_Lee
12-22-2005, 07:31 PM
I like the new creative team, but this is one of those books that I definitely keep on because of the creative team that made it.

This would be like if Loeb and Sale decided to take over Transmetropolitan for a while. Love the team together, but not on this.

greg donovan
12-22-2005, 07:33 PM
I know Paul Jenkins and Ramon Bachs are taking over but what is this about Jessica Leaving? Sure she'll be a new mom but why would they remove Jess from what is essentially her own book.

that is what i read today in comic shop news she is leaving the pulse as well and the new character is supposed to be Generation M's Sally. whoever that is?

Dermie
12-22-2005, 07:38 PM
that is what i read today in comic shop news she is leaving the pulse as well and the new character is supposed to be Generation M's Sally. whoever that is?

She's a new character that has been introduced as the star of the Generation M series--a reporter who is telling the stories of the de-powered mutants.
Bendis is apparently taking Jessica with him when he leaves The Pulse. According to the solicit, his final issue (#14) will also serve as a lead-in to the New Avengers Annual.

greg donovan
12-22-2005, 07:42 PM
She's a new character that has been introduced as the star of the Generation M series--a reporter who is telling the stories of the de-powered mutants.
Bendis is apparently taking Jessica with him when he leaves The Pulse. According to the solicit, his final issue (#14) will also serve as a lead-in to the New Avengers Annual.

well that will definately fit w/the theme of The Pulse. that may be worth reading adfter all. i dont look at the solicits very much since they tend to spoil things a bit too much for my liking.

simon trent
12-22-2005, 08:33 PM
it will be dropped

thatguylobo
12-22-2005, 08:38 PM
I really miss Alias.

TheKraken
12-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Wow... I hadn't heard about this. I was willing to give some one else a shot with Jessica, but this sounds like it'll be an entirely different book. And I don't care a whit about de-powered mutants, so...

andrew french
12-22-2005, 08:46 PM
i'm done.

as equally saddening as bendis is gaydos. in many ways, moreso.

i was very down when pulse started with gaydos, but now that we had him back for two issues, i'm not going to bother.

The Human Target
12-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Yeah, no.

I haven't even been super interested it the Pulse as is.

Its gone now.

Why in the fuck can Marvel never come up with new names for stuff?

greg donovan
12-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Yeah, no.

I haven't even been super interested it the Pulse as is.

Its gone now.

Why in the fuck can Marvel never come up with new names for stuff?

considering that the pulse is the name of a section of the daily bugle dealing w/mutants and super heroes. this type of a change makes sense.

also as many have stated about the pulse it didnt seem to be a good fit for jessica. so her leaving makes sese in that respect too.

in my mind it served its purpose as a transitional phase in jessica's life.

it also gave us the single best HOM tie in of them all. :hawkeye:

The Human Target
12-22-2005, 08:53 PM
considering that the pulse is the name of a section of the daily bugle dealing w/mutants and super heroes. this type of a change makes sense.

also as many have stated about the pulse it didnt seem to be a good fit for jessica. so her leaving makes sese in that respect too.

in my mind it served its purpose as a transitional phase in jessica's life.

I agree that it was a bad fit for Jessica. But really, has it ever been that much about the paper?

But a book changing characters and focus so much and still being called the same book annoys me to no end.

Hell, I loved Milligan's X-Force but it in no way needed to be called that and it was silly..

TheKraken
12-22-2005, 08:53 PM

That ain't sayin' much... :twisted:

greg donovan
12-22-2005, 08:56 PM
I agree that it was a bad fit for Jessica. But really, has it ever been that much about the paper?

But a book changing characters and focus so much and still being called the same book annoys me to no end.

Hell, I loved Milligan's X-Force but it in no way needed to be called that and it was silly..

it didnt rerally get a chance to be about the paper because it was delayed and then the dissasembled and HOM stuff came along and mucked everything up.

the first arc was centered pretty strongly around the paper.

greg donovan
12-22-2005, 08:57 PM
That ain't sayin' much... :twisted:

say what you will the :hawkeye: issue was awesome

KAK
12-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Well that does me in for the Pulse, and I'm glad Bendis took Jessica, I don't think he writes a better character. Hopefully with the release of that new Alias fancy pants edition coming out we'll see a new Jessica series.

The Human Target
12-22-2005, 08:59 PM
it didnt rerally get a chance to be about the paper because it was delayed and then the dissasembled and HOM stuff came along and mucked everything up.

the first arc was centered pretty strongly around the paper.

Yeah, I agree. It really did just become a tie-in book for Marvel stuff, and then it became Alias with no fucking or shit jokes.

Lord Jermaine Retail
12-22-2005, 09:04 PM

Jessica and Bendis.

Its gonna be a tough sell for me. I too get the Pulse for Jessica Jones and hopefully an artist who draws her as familiarly as possible. We absolutely do not get enough Jessica Jones intake on an annual basis. And that's for real.

The Human Target
12-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Its gonna be a tough sell for me. I too get the Pulse for Jessica Jones and hopefully an artist who draws her as familiarly as possible. We absolutely do not get enough Jessica Jones intake on an annual basis. And that's for real.

I actually reread all of Alias yesterday.

It makes me so sad we get New Avengers and Crisis and Superman/Batman and not Alias.

So very very sad.

andrew french
12-22-2005, 09:08 PM
I actually reread all of Alias yesterday.

It makes me so sad we get New Avengers and Crisis and Superman/Batman and not Alias.

So very very sad.

mhmm.

WinterRose
12-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Well... Dunno where she's going. But I'll follow Jess there. I got no problem staying with the Pulse tho. What I've read so far of Gen-M, Sally's an interesting character with a mindset I can relate to. I'd love to see what Jess will be doing next. But who knows. Sitting about being mommy-lady in Avengers Tower doesn't really seem her style. But neither does going off to be some knightress or private detective type while her daughter's being babysat by MJ, May, Jarvis, and the Sentry's wife. Dunno if cage will eventually get his own series, relegating her to a supporting role along with Danny Rand and whoever else. She deserves better than supporting roles when she carries a book by herself. Her language kinda places her out of New Avengers. And of course... baby-story-problem complicates matters that much further.

Where do you put her aside from her own book? As a character, she deserves no less than her own title. Anything else is a waste of material.

Shannon Chenoweth
12-22-2005, 09:40 PM

I agree with you totally.

That said, I had no clue that Jess would be gone from The Pulse after #14. If that's true, I'm dropping the book. I'll check out the first arc with Jenkins though in tpb, since I like his writing.

NickT
12-23-2005, 02:52 AM
For me Generation-M is right now one of the best books out there, and the chance of a monthly featuring this team probably intrests me more than more Jessica Jones.

I like the idea that new writers bring their own characters into the game too.

dougmac
12-23-2005, 03:35 AM
This new character is fine but I don't know why they can't just continue on with Kat Farrel and Ben Urich though.

Shwicaz
12-23-2005, 03:42 AM
I have never been 100% sure about The Pulse as a title.

I enjoyed the first arc, but felt that Bagley's art didn't fit (especially after just coming off of Alias with Gaydos) what I was used to.

then we got the 'tie in' arcs, which I really didn't care for, and really didn't offer that much to the overall story.

I mean, Secret War-- did we really need that 'tie in' to explain that Jess was upset about what happened to Luke? did it bring anything more to the overall tapestry that is/was Secret War?

Nope, not really, but it took up 4 issues (or something) anyway.

I have been enjoying Generation M, and I will check out the first couple of issues of Jenkin's Pulse, to see if the book actually has a 'direction', or is going to still spend its time 'being a part of' every thing going on in the MU.

xyzzy
12-23-2005, 03:55 AM
This might actually be good for the Pulse. More of a focus on the newspaper and reporting and putting a story together. I think it could be really good. As much as I love Alias/Jessica, all of her drama kind of mucked stuff up for the Pulse.

I'll give the new Pulse a chance.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
12-23-2005, 04:32 AM
The Less Jessica Jones The Better.

Wayno.

NickT
12-23-2005, 07:06 AM
I mean, Secret War-- did we really need that 'tie in' to explain that Jess was upset about what happened to Luke? did it bring anything more to the overall tapestry that is/was Secret War?

Nope, not really, but it took up 4 issues (or something) anyway.
But if you're going to go on what we "need", you could do Alias in half the issues :)

Michael John Wheeler
12-23-2005, 07:14 AM
I'm gone. I'm cranky about finally getting Gaydos back with Jessica only to have him leave again.

TonyFleecs
12-23-2005, 07:20 AM
...or is going to still spend its time 'being a part of' every thing going on in the MU.
On the one hand I agree with you on the direction, on the other... 'being a part of' everything is kind of what newspapers do. More than any other book the pulse would probably be affected by (at least in the story's they're reporting on)whatever big stuff's happening in the MU.

Shwicaz
12-23-2005, 07:24 AM
I get that Tony, but I think you can have mention of 'what's going on' in the marvel u at the paper on an issue by issue basis....

having a bi-monthly 'arc' for Secret War (which, itself was suffering delays) wasn't the best execution, even though Jessica and Luke were 'major players'/big names in both.

For contrast, the House of M tie in issue was just that-- one issue. It said what it had to say, it featured Kat, a character in the book who I felt was underutilized, and then we wer on to the next arc.

I guess Bendis/Gaydos spoiled me for anyone else doing the book other than those two.

I am totally selfish.

:Oops:

Then again, I felt Jessica's portrayal in Young Avengers has been wonderful.