PDA

View Full Version : APS: Automated Postal Service

mattbrand
12-20-2005, 05:51 AM
Anybody used it yet?

Its the greatest thing! I went to the Post Office yesterday morning, almost late for work, only to find a huge line of people waiting to send stuff. Then I look to my left, and there is a line of only 2 people, using this automated shipping machine, with a Post Office employee helping them.

Basically you just put your package on the scale, press some buttons on a screen, pay with a card, and your shipping label prints. You stick it on, and drop it in a safe box next to the machine. So cool! The best part is that its open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I'm so glad someone thought of it.

SteveZegers
12-20-2005, 05:57 AM
Yeah, it's a great service. Wish you could use media mail though. That's what I use the most.

Shane W
12-20-2005, 06:11 AM
Yep, we've had it for over a year now and it's fantastic.

mattbrand
12-20-2005, 06:12 AM
Yep, we've had it for over a year now and it's fantastic.

Really? Shit, I'm way behind the times on this one. At least we've got them now.

Bill Nolan
12-20-2005, 06:17 AM
That's where I buy all my stamps, since there's usually a line at the main window. And the stamps are really funky, too. Incredibly thin, cheap-looking things, seems like the machine prints them as you order them.

- Bill

Taki Soma
12-20-2005, 06:56 AM
I saw it being advertised, but I have not seen this yet. But yes, what a great idea!

Pat Loika
12-20-2005, 06:59 AM
It's a great idea, and I use it often.

P.

Shane W
12-20-2005, 07:16 AM
Really? Shit, I'm way behind the times on this one. At least we've got them now.

And being able to use your debit card is even better.

Meteornotes
12-20-2005, 07:22 AM
Been using it for awhile. Media mail and international shipping would be great options to add to this service. Sure beats waiting in line...

dt

Shane W
12-20-2005, 07:25 AM
Been using it for awhile. Media mail and international shipping would be great options to add to this service. Sure beats waiting in line...

dt

Our has international ..

Generic Poster
12-20-2005, 07:36 AM
Excellent. One more thing where I don't have to interact with a human. First banks, then grocery stores, and now the post office. Furthermore, fewer postal employees = lower chance of rage-filled machine gun rampages.

mattbrand
12-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Excellent. One more thing where I don't have to interact with a human.

I don't mind interacting with humans at all actually. But in my experience, Post Office employees are so slow...almost to a point where it seems like they are being slow on purpose. Plus sometimes at really busy times there will be a huge line, but they will only have one checkout person open, even though you see people walking around in the back. Drives me crazy.

Thudpucker
12-20-2005, 07:43 AM
It's a great thing, love it.