PDA

View Full Version : Not another negative 360 thread...

DrMachine
12-18-2005, 03:30 PM
this is a negative Best Buy thread

http://mobilitytoday.com/news/005797/best_buy_bait_switch (http://mobilitytoday.com/news/005797/best_buy_bait_switch)

Best Buy using Xbox 360 for a bait and switch?

By David Ciccone, posted 9 hours ago
Reader Comments: 15

This is a hard statement to make but after stopping by my local Best Buy this morning I am now forced to believe Microsoft has really made a big mistake. First, last week another memo mysteriously popped out on the net showing all of Best Buy's inventory by store location and that they will get inventory on Sunday December 18th. Four days later a flyer mysteriously appears on the net showing and confirming that Best Buy will be selling the 360 on the 18th. How does this stuff just mysteriously appear you might ask? Some say it is from internal employees leaking internal memo's but my thought is that Best Buy is leaking them directly.

If you look at today's Best Buy flyer you will notice some really good sales going on, one being for a Compaq Laptop for $449.00. Now I woke up early this morning just to see how they handled the fiasco. I showed up at 6:45am this morning to drive up to a line with over 65 people already waiting. As I walked up to the line I heard everyone talking about how they are excited to give their child a new XBox for the holidays, some speaking about selling theirs on Ebay for $900.00 (laughing too).. As 7:30 approached I heard some people who were up in the front of the line talking about a ticket they got at 6am. Now by 7:30 the line has grown to almost 200+ people in hopes to get an Xbox. I was very shocked since 45 minutes later I still never heard from one Best Buy employee coming outside to inform the customers all tickets have been handed out.

As 8:00am approached the line started moving and people were getting excited as they approached the door to then find out that they handed out 53 tickets at 6am. I personally knew what to expect but did the other 140 people behind me? No!! They were furious.. As I entered the store immediately I heard an employee scream out "Everyone all the XBox360's are sold out, but we have a great deal on a Compaq laptop for only $449.00). So I immediately followed the employee along with 25+ people to see this sale. Once we got to the computer department I overheard the employee hard selling a customer who originally was going to buy and Xbox 360 saying, "Why do you need an Xbox360 when you can buy this laptop and play all "games" on this?" Now I was shocked first of all since this customer had no thoughts of buying a laptop but the customer apparently changed his mind as he started to fill out paperwork for the $449.00 laptop. The next comments from the Best Buy employee were, "Do you have AntiVirus Software? Do you have a wifi network? Do you have computer security software? Do you want to watch TV on this laptop (Slingbox)?" I could believe this but after the transaction the sale turned into a $1,750 purchase!

Why am I writing this? Because Best Buy knew they were getting limited quantity (some as little as 25) nevertheless they publicize a flyer with the XBox 360 on the front page of the sale flyer. What about the mysterious memo that was floating around the net showing the quantities of XBox 360's? How about the flyer that appeared on the net 4 days before the actual sale? Is it a coincidence? I bet not!

Smokinblues
12-18-2005, 03:31 PM
got my hopes up

RODGER
12-18-2005, 03:32 PM
wouldn't be the first time stuff like this has happened

Chingòn
12-18-2005, 04:28 PM
unscrupulous practices at major retail stores? SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!

Ben
12-18-2005, 04:28 PM
wouldn't be the first time stuff like this has happened
Which is completely irrelevant.

Briomega
12-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Best Buy also held back inventory for weeks for this Dec. 18th sale. There was a internal memo posted on Kotaku a few weeks ago announcing it.

yskitch
12-18-2005, 05:04 PM
i drove by the best buy near me yesterday at 5pm to get some dinner at the restaurant next door...the line then was already about 25 people long...and the first person had been sitting there since about noon saturday...its kinda nuts to think that people could have pre-ordered the 360 months ago and had it already instead of getting used like they are...poor things

RyanP
12-18-2005, 05:18 PM
True they could have preordered it, but they aren't being used. It's their choice to stand in line and wait.

DrMachine
12-18-2005, 05:19 PM
got my hopes up

shhhhhhhh

the next one's going to be a doozy

BronxRonin
12-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Wow they were sold out before 10 am over hear...Best buy will no longer get my money this Holiday.

Patton
12-18-2005, 05:35 PM
They informed the people at mine how many there were. And they bought them pizza.