PDA

View Full Version : Funding For The Comic Arts?

Jacob Lyon Goddard
12-18-2005, 10:11 AM
over on the Speakeasy thread i tripped over an idea that got me thinking

you've got an idea for a book planned, you actually dorm at the museum/gallery/master's studio/artist's space while devoloping your concepts and ideas, you have access to the musuems/galleries/libraries at that location, help from masters, all the tools you's need, and have the actual press right there, you turning the crank
it would be just like any artist in residence thing, only for comics!
then i remembered that this can happen, i was apprenticing breifly for an artist, working mainly out of the very well respected artist's space here in Philly called The Fabric Workshop (http://www.fabricworkshop.org/), and Charles Burns had done a residency there a few months before.
i can go there and buy copies of Black Hole next to books collecting the work of Kara Walker, Leonardo Drew, Warren Rohrer, Dale Chihuly, Claes Oldenburg, Louise Bourgeois, Vito Acconci, Kiki Smith, and hundreds of the very best and most respected contemporary artists in the world.
Art Spegielman, Chris Ware, and Zak Smith have hung in Whitney Biannuels, the most influencial and talked about art show in the world, and they are all in the MoMA's permanent collections.

this spun me into another train of thought.
i work in theater, many theaters and performance venues actually. i have never worked in a theater that operated in the black, they almost don't exist. but they continue to opperate through private, corporate, and government funding

do you think it's possible that funding for the creation of comic books might become a more frequent and accepted thing?

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-26-2006, 05:10 AM
:?
well, i thought it was a good idea, anyway