PDA

View Full Version : Free books to the first 10-Fear Agent, Sea of Red, Night Mary, Strange Girl

RickRemender
12-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Hey all--

New to the board and thought I'd introduce myself and give stuff away.

I'm currently writing a number of books at Image, Sea of Red, Fear Agent, Strange Girl, Doll and Creature and just finished one at IDW, Night Mary. I like the books pretty good and so do most reviewers. I work with amazing folks like Kieron Dwyer, Tony Moore, Mike Manley, Paul Harmon, Salgood Sam, and Eric Nguyen on these books, if you don't know who these kids are I wish to do my part to rectify that situation. Yes, I'd like more of you to read the books so I'm stopping by here to make an offer.

For the first ten people who reply to this post I will send full runs of all my books to their current issues. Night Mary 1-4, Sea of Red 1-7, Fear Agent 1 and 2, Strange Girl 1-5 and the original Doll and Creature trade paperback (this series is being colored and relaunched through Image in March). I'll even throw in a few other things I have sitting around the office, old paper clips, pencil nubs, dead mice, Kieron Dwyer-- who knows what will show up. Just post a reply here and I'll get your address and send you this big pile of comics.

With one string attached.

You come back to this thread after you receive and read the books and review them. Love, hate or indifference. Come back and write reviews for the other Bendis boarders to let them know what like minded readers thought of the comics. We'll have to work on the honor system here.

Best-
Rick Remender

gwyllgi
12-08-2005, 12:28 AM
review each book, or each series as a whole? this is an interesting thing.

sonnylarue
12-08-2005, 12:40 AM
do you know how much I love fear agent?

outstanding stuff Rick, I hope to have you on one of my podcasts in the future.

X arseface X
12-08-2005, 12:40 AM
I'm way in. Hook it up, brotha. Shit, I already read some of that stuff. I could review it right now...

Persevering Guy
12-08-2005, 12:43 AM
haha, it's gonna cost you a fortune to ship it here.

Adam Witt
12-08-2005, 12:44 AM
I'm in sir. This be a damn cool idea.

Kman00001
12-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Dude! I loved your Tales of the TMNT!

Ching├▓n
12-08-2005, 12:50 AM
holy crap! what a great idea! (i want in :) )

Humphrey_Lee
12-08-2005, 12:56 AM
I bought the first Sea of Red trade and thought it was pretty nifty. I'll be all over the 2nd one when it comes out. Good stuff. Dwyer's pencils are amazing too.

Bill?
12-08-2005, 01:03 AM
is it too late to get in? its too late for me to be counting.
but i did pick up fear agent 1 and love it so i'd like to see what else you were up to.

RickRemender
12-08-2005, 01:25 AM
I'll do the next 5 posters and we'll call it a day.

Thanks for the interest all and thanks for the kind words.

A man's gotta get the word out and that isn't free but, JAPAN! Dear God... I guess I'll have to suck it up and send it but it's going by a slow boat. :)

The deal is a review of each series, it's a bit of work depending on how in-depth you go. This is a give-give, free books for a bit of thinking and some typing.

My email is rick@rickremender.com for the winners, send me an email tomorrow and I'll ship this stuff off.

Hugs-

Rick Remender

Humphrey_Lee
12-08-2005, 01:34 AM
I'll do the next 5 posters and we'll call it a day.

Thanks for the interest all and thanks for the kind words.

A man's gotta get the word out and that isn't free but, JAPAN! Dear God... I guess I'll have to suck it up and send it but it's going by a slow boat. :)

The deal is a review of each series, it's a bit of work depending on how in-depth you go. This is a give-give, free books for a bit of thinking and some typing.

My email is rick@rickremender.com for the winners, send me an email tomorrow and I'll ship this stuff off.

Hugs-

Rick Remender

Reviews require thinking? Well fuck, shoulda told me that months ago. No wonder mine suck. :D

THWIP!
12-08-2005, 01:49 AM
Can I get in on this?

The Roman Candle
12-08-2005, 02:16 AM
I'm probably too late, but welcome to the board anyway! Glad to have you here.

R°cketFr°g
12-08-2005, 02:47 AM
If I can get in, I would love to be in good sir.

Michael Wagner
12-08-2005, 04:19 AM
Pick Me! Pick Me!!

JABSEN
12-08-2005, 04:20 AM
Already got the books and dig the hell out of 'em.
(Fear Agent's a blast)

This a great idea,man

justjeffery
12-08-2005, 04:28 AM
You know, generally, I'd be all over this...

BUT

My wife reads every single one of your books, so we have them all already!

Thanks for the great offer, though!

Dan
12-08-2005, 04:46 AM
It's too late, isn't it?

Chinaski
12-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Hey Rick

I think Im too late by this point but just wanted to say I loved your Black Heart Billy mini series with Keiron Dwyer and I just picked up the first trade of Sea of Red last week, which I thought was really good. Ive heard great things about Strange Girl and Ill get to picking that up soon. Keep up the great work and welcome to the board.

Corey A.
12-08-2005, 06:31 AM
I read the Fear Agent ashtray a few months. Not bad. I'd love to check out the full version. ;)

Murdock's Girl
12-08-2005, 06:33 AM
Hey Rick!
First off welcome to the board. Second you made yourself so loved with the free books (totally awsome idea buy the way!)
If I can still sneak in, let me know! I love reviewing stuff (ask my friends, they are sick of my commentary...) LOL
Tess/MG

jason hissong
12-08-2005, 06:34 AM
I'm in but I think I'm too late.

Patton
12-08-2005, 06:38 AM
this is a very cool offer of you to make. Glad to have you on the board.

I'm not allowed to read Fear Agent :(

copypastepuke
12-08-2005, 06:45 AM
i am always too late for the free book threads!

but seriously, this is way cool of you.

and this giveaway is going to definitly make me remember your name and buy your books when i see them!

The Human Target
12-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Badass mate!

I've been getting Sea of Red and Strange Girl since day one of each. I really like em both.

And SoR has given me the excuse to say "vampirates" a lot, for which I thank you.

The guy who runs my LCS really likes Fear Agent, and has been pimping it to people.

Bervda
12-08-2005, 10:55 AM
I'll definitely jump on this if there's an available space. I guess if you ask me for my mailing info, I know that I made the cut!

Jono
12-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Rick,

Welcome to the board, and thanks for giving out the swag. Those lucky pricks.

I'm really digging Fear Agent. It's reminds me of old Heavy Metal stories, but it's got a little more substance to it than that stuff.

And hey, while you're here, is Sea of Red #2 in print anymore? I missed it when it came out, so I've been waiting to buy the rest of the series until I can find a copy. My LCS says it's on backorder, whatever that means. Anywho, if it's out of print I'll suck it up and buy the trade, but I like my singles so I'd rather get it that way.

Thanks for stoping by, hope you stick around and this wasn't just a hit and run plug. *cough*edbrubaker*cough*

RickRemender
12-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Such a warm welcome. Thanks all-

Let's call this the cut off point. Everyone above this post email me and I'll get you some books. However only the first 10 will get the big buyndles. I'll send the rest of you one or two runs. Just so I don't get stuck paying a million dollars for shipping.

Sea of Red #2 was sold out the day it shipped so it's tough to find. I think you can still get a copy from -

http://www.khepri.com/rremender.html (http://www.khepri.com/rremender.html)

I'm down to like 10 copies myself so I will be sending out trades for the reveiws.

Nice to see a Black Heart Billy fan, that book is still my baby.

Thanks again all-

The Human Target
12-08-2005, 12:38 PM
I can check to see if my LCS has any number 2s of SoR left. They ordered a lot so I think we have a few.

RickRemender
12-08-2005, 12:41 PM
this is a very cool offer of you to make. Glad to have you on the board.

I'm not allowed to read Fear Agent :(

Why no Fear Agent? Did that awful Tony Moore do something to a pet of yours?

:)

Boris the Blade
12-08-2005, 12:42 PM
I've already got all those (except for Night Mary) and I can say, anyone who gets them has gooooooood readin' ahead of them.

Thudpucker
12-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Wow, that's a pretty amazing thing to do :eek:

I've read Strange Girl and it's excellent, best of luck with it!

RickRemender
12-08-2005, 12:54 PM
You know, generally, I'd be all over this...

BUT

My wife reads every single one of your books, so we have them all already!

Thanks for the great offer, though!

How did you get a wife with such great taste?

:D

Tyeron
12-08-2005, 01:45 PM
hey man i'd love to check out yer other stuff
i'm reading Fear Agent right now

i'm behind on my reading so i have issue 2 but i've only read issue 1.. but i wanna see where yer goin' with it

goin' on the description of some of the other titles you've worked on it sounds like my girl would really dig some of those.. we might have to look em up at the ol LCS

hope to see ya around here some more

RickRemender
12-08-2005, 02:23 PM
hey man i'd love to check out yer other stuff
i'm reading Fear Agent right now

i'm behind on my reading so i have issue 2 but i've only read issue 1.. but i wanna see where yer goin' with it

goin' on the description of some of the other titles you've worked on it sounds like my girl would really dig some of those.. we might have to look em up at the ol LCS

hope to see ya around here some more

Email me and I'll get you a run of Strange Girl.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
12-08-2005, 02:24 PM
hi rick
*waves*

Patton
12-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Why no Fear Agent? Did that awful Tony Moore do something to a pet of yours?

:)

I have a similiar book in the works and I don't want to accidentally steal.

One day though, I'm all over it.

But I bought Strange Girl at the shop the other day. Very interested to read.

RickRemender
12-08-2005, 09:17 PM
I have a similiar book in the works and I don't want to accidentally steal.

One day though, I'm all over it.

But I bought Strange Girl at the shop the other day. Very interested to read.

I gotcha. Happens all the time, this stuff is in the air.

RickRemender
12-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Wow, that's a pretty amazing thing to do :eek:

I've read Strange Girl and it's excellent, best of luck with it!

Thanks man, glad you liked it. The trade ships in 3 weeks and I'm very proud of it. Seems like when the Bendis fans get behind something it creates a tidal wave so I hope it's catching.

Best-

Rick

Angel of Distraction
12-08-2005, 10:19 PM
FUCK! I ALWAYS miss out! I have to learn not to go do more important things!

RickRemender
01-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Sent these out last week. Let me know if anyone doesn't recieve the books.

Rod Nunley
01-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Dude. Fear Agent rocks tasty abs...washerboard style...glistening in the sun... (to quote The D)

I love that book, and hope you keep it going for a very long time.

Awesome to have you aboard.

DeleriumTremens
01-08-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm glad your off visiting the board now, I really enjoy the stuff of yours I've read. Also if anyone gets a pack reads it and wants to pass it on down the line I'd promise to pass it down after I got a chance to read it.

RickRemender
01-08-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm glad your off visiting the board now, I really enjoy the stuff of yours I've read. Also if anyone gets a pack reads it and wants to pass it on down the line I'd promise to pass it down after I got a chance to read it.

That's a great idea. Anyone want to pass their bundle on after they read?

RickRemender
01-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Dude. Fear Agent rocks tasty abs...washerboard style...glistening in the sun... (to quote The D)

I love that book, and hope you keep it going for a very long time.

Awesome to have you aboard.
Thanks doode-

Glad you like Fear Agent. The series will hit at least issue #12 and if the support is as stong as it is now I don't see any reason it can't go one forever.

Ravengregory
01-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Sent these out last week. Let me know if anyone doesn't recieve the books.

Will do. Just picked up #2 of Fear Agent

Shannon Chenoweth
01-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I'd love to check out some of Remender's stuff, but just never got the chance. If someone wants to pass some issues my way, it would be mucho appreciated. :)

Ching├▓n
01-09-2006, 12:04 AM
i got strange girl 1-5, sea of read 1-7 and fear agent 1,2, and the ashcan. i'll be writing my reviews when i finish reading all of them.

RickRemender
01-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Will do. Just picked up #2 of Fear Agent

Good deal, I'm pretty proud of that issue.

Jono
01-09-2006, 03:41 AM
I got my GIGANTIC bundle of comics a couple days ago, and I'll post thoughts on them as soon as I read them all. Thanks again Rick, this was super cool of you...

R°cketFr°g
01-09-2006, 04:17 AM
I got my GIGANTIC bundle of comics a couple days ago, and I'll post thoughts on them as soon as I read them all. Thanks again Rick, this was super cool of you...
Same here, they came in the mail on Saturday. You're a fine man, Mr. Remender. I'll try to post reviews as I move through each title.

Garra
01-09-2006, 04:51 AM
Strange Girl is awesome. I think its his best one personally.

Adrian B AWESOME
01-09-2006, 08:32 AM
I know this is way over, but I just wanted to say that Sea of Red is great.

RickRemender
01-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Good deal. I'm glad the books showed up.

Post reviews here and on any forums where folks know you. It helps new readers to hear thoughts from people other than me, I'm obviously biased.

Jono
01-14-2006, 05:07 AM
I just finished Night Mary, and I'm starting Strange Girl, and I have to wonder, how did these slip under my radar? They're fucking GREAT. It kind of bothers me that I had no clue that these books existed, I read previews and nerdsarama, I'm fairly well informed, y'know? Oh well, at least I'm getting to read them now...

full reviews to follow once I'm done reading the entire Remender Pile O Comics...

RickRemender
01-14-2006, 08:35 AM
I just finished Night Mary, and I'm starting Strange Girl, and I have to wonder, how did these slip under my radar? They're fucking GREAT. It kind of bothers me that I had no clue that these books existed, I read previews and nerdsarama, I'm fairly well informed, y'know? Oh well, at least I'm getting to read them now...

full reviews to follow once I'm done reading the entire Remender Pile O Comics...

Post 'em here obvioulsy but post them in their own topics as well since no one new is going to hop on this thread.

Glad you liked Night Mary.

RickRemender
01-17-2006, 11:27 PM
So come on all-- I sent the books, you owe reviews as homework.

I'll issue detentions if I have to.

Humphrey_Lee
01-17-2006, 11:38 PM
So come on all-- I sent the books, you owe reviews as homework.

I'll issue detentions if I have to.

Give the bastards herpes instead. It's the only way to learn them.

And I finally got around to reading the first issue of Fear Agent I had lying about somewhere. Very fun book. I'll be grabbing the others soon.

Cheers...

RickRemender
01-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Give the bastards herpes instead. It's the only way to learn them.

Can I do that over the interweb now?

Humphrey_Lee
01-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Can I do that over the interweb now?

And much much worse. There's probably something you can do to give them the clap too.

Ask Warren Ellis. I'm sure he has a program somewhere.

Adam Witt
01-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Sorry I never took time to do this Rick. THe books came late [I was obviously too stupid to give you the correct zipcode]. Alas, here are my reviews:

Strange Girl #1-#4
Quirky art, to be sure. Definitely different. Interesting premise as well--the exchange at the beginning is awkward and hilarious--and the book inexplicably changes pace! Nice Ellis-style one-liners, good pacing, although sometimes the action gets kind of hard to decipher. The first arc has a decent ending, and though this isn't the type of book I typically read, it was pretty enjoyable. Nice work!

Fear Agent #1-#2
I've heard a lot about this and never got a chance to check it out. Tony Moore's a great artist, so that's a good aspect to it. The first issue is damn good--a nice, fast-moving, action-packed little ride with...a thing that looks like Mother Brain from Metroid [when i saw that alien, I swear to god, that's the first thing that entered my mind...]. The cliffhanger in issue 2 is a giant kick in the pants--I loved it. Dammit, now I have to buy issue #3. Strange Girl wasn't entirely up my alley, but this was. Good stuff, Mr. Remender [I typed Remember at first...oy.]

Thanks again for doing this. :thumb:

Ching├▓n
01-18-2006, 12:26 PM
my first review is up!
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?p=1242019#post1242019
i'll be writing the other two soon, i promise.

Jono
01-19-2006, 08:04 AM
my first review is up!
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?p=1242019#post1242019
i'll be writing the other two soon, i promise.

I posted my Fear Agent review in your thread, hope you don't mind. I also posted my Night Mary review.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=52243

Strange Girl review to follow shortly...

Jono
01-21-2006, 06:39 AM
and here's my Strange Girl review ="http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?p=1251443#post1251443"]http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?p=1251443#post1251443

And uh, where the fuck are everyone else's? I've seen a grand total of one other review. I got 3 of my 4 up, and I've been really fucking busy. Dude sent you free comics, show some courtesy and get your shit together...

RickRemender
01-21-2006, 10:49 AM
and here's my Strange Girl review ="http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?p=1251443#post1251443"]http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?p=1251443#post1251443

And uh, where the fuck are everyone else's? I've seen a grand total of one other review. I got 3 of my 4 up, and I've been really fucking busy. Dude sent you free comics, show some courtesy and get your shit together...

You, I like.

As for the others, I'm sure there isn't anyone lame enough to take a huge pile of free books and not do a review they agreed to do to recieve said books. That would be unethical.

DeleriumTremens
01-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Just a little reminder. If anyone finishes their stack, and wants to help move it down the line, I would be more than happy to read them and pass them on also.

Kman00001
01-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Sorry I'm late with the reviews, but here's mine for all 4 books...

http://606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=53116

RickRemender
01-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Sorry I'm late with the reviews, but here's mine for all 4 books...

http://606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=53116

Thanks for taking the time to participate.

Bill?
01-25-2006, 10:57 AM
i've really been slacking on this. things have been all crazy lately but i really need to get down and do a proper review this weekend.

Jono
01-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks for taking the time to participate.

that makes what, 3 of us? plus Goodman in Japan who probably didn't even get the books yet. That means there are still 6 of you (at least) out there who took free comics and haven't posted a review. C'mon people, lets get it together. You're stiffing a dude who mailed you free comics. If Bendis hears about this he's going to lose his shit, I guarantee it. Don't be cunts...

Raphael J
01-25-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm going to pick up the first two issues of Fear Agent today, and hopefully when I get more money I'll pick up either Sea of Red or Strange Girl. I'd be happy to do a review of it to help make up for these guys taking so long.

Jef UK
01-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Crap: I always miss these!! And I've wanted to check out Fear Agent alot, but can't find the back issues! Bleh!

RickRemender
01-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Crap: I always miss these!! And I've wanted to check out Fear Agent alot, but can't find the back issues! Bleh!

There are some issue #1's left here--
http://www.khepri.com/rremender.html#f-agent-01

#2 is sold out though, I don't even have but like ten copies left.