PDA

View Full Version : 10 Reasons not to buy a 360

DrMachine
12-07-2005, 05:47 AM
we have to start things bright and early today...I've got lots to do today

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6398801.html?tag=cnetfd.sd (http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6398801.html?tag=cnetfd.sd)

1. Beige isn't the new black
Call me petty or metrosexual, but I don't like the color of the Xbox 360--and so what if you can change the faceplate? It's just not doing it for me. Part of the problem is that Microsoft sent us a charcoal-colored debug unit, which plays early versions of games burned onto DVDs, and the debug is cooler-looking than the retail unit. Ideally, Microsoft will put out a special-edition 360 down the road that offers beige-bashers a more satisfying alternative--you know, like the black iPods.

2. No killer games at launch
It's not that we haven't generally liked what we've seen from the 360's launch titles, but there just hasn't been that one mind-blowing game that screams "next generation" and leaves the original Xbox's games in the dust. Sure, Perfect Dark Zero is impressive, and I'm personally a fan of NBA 2K6, but I think these first-gen titles will pale in comparison to Halo 3 and some other enticing games we'll see in 2006 and beyond.

3. Accessories cost a small fortune
If you opt for a second wireless controller and a rechargeable battery kit, you'll be out $70. And what's with $19.95 for a faceplate that's just a hunk of plastic? You should get a three-pack for that price.

4. The hard drive isn't big enough
Yeah, Microsoft went with a laptop drive instead of a standard desktop hard drive to keep the Xbox 360 trim--and those laptop drives are more expensive than the standard version. That said, 20GB is pretty puny these days. Hopefully, in the not so distant future, we'll see bundles with capacities of 60GB, 100GB, and beyond. Then we'll be able to turn this sucker into a real high-def media server.

5. Limited keyboard/mouse support at launch
With the USB ports, it seems logical enough that the Xbox 360 would accept PC accessories such as a mouse and a keyboard. In fact, the 360 does offer undocumented support for a USB keyboard, but it's apparently limited to messaging and filling out forms on Xbox Live. There's no official word from Microsoft as to when or if keyboard or mouse support will be added for use in actual games (World of Warcraft 360, anyone?). That hurts a little.

6. No built-in Wi-Fi
I know the folks at Microsoft had to cut costs somewhere, but a little built-in Wi-Fi would have been nice. I would have been more forgiving had they also included more USB ports (see number 7) on the back of the unit, where the USB Wi-Fi adapter accessory plugs in. To be fair, though, at least the wireless adapter is a trimode device (802.11a/b/g), so it should have the necessary bandwidth to stream video.

7. Not enough USB ports, especially on the back
As I said, there's only one USB port on the back, and in a lot of cases, that's going to be tied up with the USB Wi-Fi accessory. That leaves only the two USB ports on the front left available to plug in such accessories as the video camera (coming soon). Toss in another wired controller, and your 360 is full up--and looking untidy, with wires sprouting from the front.

9. No built-in card reader
This is a pretty severe bummer. Instead of just being able to save games or serve up content (photos, video, music) from a standard flash-memory card, I've got to buy some stupid proprietary 64MB memory card for $40. Yeah, I know that the memory card isn't necessary for anyone smart enough to buy the 360 premium bundle, which includes a hard drive. And I understand that Microsoft is running a business, and high-margin accessories are where the money's made, but come on! By contrast, Sony's PS3 is slated to have a built-in card reader that will handle CompactFlash and SD/MMC in addition to Sony's own Memory Stick format.

10. You can't get it.
The cynical among us might presume that Microsoft is holding back units to build hype. But there's a big difference between hype and just plain poor planning--and it now seems clear that Microsoft screwed the pooch on this one. The fact is that the Xbox 360 should have had more of a staggered launch schedule with only the United States on tap for 2005. Heck, Sony is likely to launch the PS3 in Japan well in advance of the rest of the world; why didn't Microsoft just do North America if it knew it might have trouble putting out enough units? As it is, the 360 launched last week in Europe and Japan this week, and I still haven't gotten the unit I preordered from Gamestop back in July.

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
12-07-2005, 05:48 AM
Out of curiousity, what is this origin of this crusade?

Seltzer Water
12-07-2005, 05:49 AM
I am convinced

DrMachine
12-07-2005, 05:50 AM
Out of curiousity, what is this origin of this crusade?

mine? (I don't have one)

or the general public's? (who knows?)

I am convinced

good man

chris page
12-07-2005, 05:55 AM
i have never understood the need of some people to rush out and buy a system right when it first comes out. if you wait 6 months to a year, you tend to get better quality games that you can buy with the system, usually some better/cooler accessories, a lower price (usually), and a system with fewer bugs in it.

but, maybe that's me..

Kip K
12-07-2005, 05:58 AM
That list is ridiculous.

First, the 360 is a console game machine--not a computer. You aren't supposed to stream high-def media. You are not supposed to be using a laptop and mouse. You are not supposed to be plugging up countless things through a USB connection.

You are supposed to be putting a disc in the console and enjoying it--you get everything you need to do that with the console package.

Finally, the launch games have been terrific for the console--the best of any console launch. Of course they could and will get better--but with software development times taking 2-3 years you really shouldn't expect a miracle at launch.

I would like for this guy to find a PC that can do all the stuff he wants for the same price as a 360--now that would be funny to see.

nihilance
12-07-2005, 06:01 AM
Finally, the launch games have been terrific for the console--the best of any console launch.
Exactly. While X-box 360 might be missing the killer app that many consoles cash in on at launch, they do have a very nice assortment of very good games at launch...arguably better than any launch line-up in history.

half guard
12-07-2005, 06:07 AM
i think the 360 stood jrmachine up for the prom some years back. cause he's holding a hell of a grudge.

sto110
12-07-2005, 06:07 AM
OMG

Accessories are not that expensive, buy the bundle if you dont want the other stuff
The harddrive is small.... for what? you arent supposed to put movies on there. It has a lot of reserve space so MS isnt filling it up. What exactly are you putting on the other 13G? Demos, trailer and such. thats it

Bandit Chimera
12-07-2005, 06:08 AM
i gotta disagree with the game thing. There are plenty of really good games that are out right this second. For a launch of a system its had one of the best launch releases ever when looking at the games that go with the system.

Call of Duty 2 and PDZ are really good ....not halo killers but worth a buy.

Condemned is just amazingly freaky and fun, and Kameo is a great game as well

As for sports and racing PGR AND MADDEN are the best but while the other games in that genra arn't anything super awesome there still decent titles.

as for the accessorieis costing so dam much this dude needs to get a reality check and look at the market. The psp's accesories cost a dam fortune too. Between accessories and games for my psp i spent a dam fortune in the spring.

the Wifi thing is a bummer but think of it this way. How many home PC's come Wifi aquiped without needing to buy anythin extra ? not many...and there are alot of Laptop products that you need to buy that stuff for too (as far as i know)

The hard drive is removable .....yes its removable so if somthing bigger and badder comes out then there ya go.

As for the color and faceplates ...yeah the color is lame but eh i'll live as long as the system plays the games :)

i'm not trying to bitch here so please don't take this as a pro microsoft or 360rant. All i wanna do is point out my opinion which at times is different than this persons thats all.

Cth
12-07-2005, 06:30 AM
FYI -

If you opt for a second wireless controller and a rechargeable battery kit, you'll be out $70. And what's with $19.95 for a faceplate that's just a hunk of plastic? You should get a three-pack for that price.

------------

Anyone with half a brain can get things cheaper.

BB - wireless controller $30 + $10 rechargable battery pack. $40 isn't bad for a wireless controller if you price 'em.

Faceplate? $12 @ CC.

------------------

As I said, there's only one USB port on the back, and in a lot of cases, that's going to be tied up with the USB Wi-Fi accessory. That leaves only the two USB ports on the front left available to plug in such accessories as the video camera (coming soon). Toss in another wired controller, and your 360 is full up--and looking untidy, with wires sprouting from the front.

----------------------

Which is why there's that ethernet connection back there. No USB required.
And are you REALLY going to be using that video camera?

-----------------------

This is a pretty severe bummer. Instead of just being able to save games or serve up content (photos, video, music) from a standard flash-memory card, I've got to buy some stupid proprietary 64MB memory card for $40. Yeah, I know that the memory card isn't necessary for anyone smart enough to buy the 360 premium bundle, which includes a hard drive. And I understand that Microsoft is running a business, and high-margin accessories are where the money's made, but come on! By contrast, Sony's PS3 is slated to have a built-in card reader that will handle CompactFlash and SD/MMC in addition to Sony's own Memory Stick format.

-----------------------

Of course, if you have one of these, chance are you already own a memory card reader. So, it's a moot point really.

Besides, is there that much of a demand for it? Especially when you can stream it directly from your camera/usb key/computer/etc? More components inside = more chance for stuff to get loose inside. More components inside = more heat generated.

The rest of the stuff is opinion stuff and not even worth discussing :)

t00lverine
12-07-2005, 06:41 AM
That list is ridiculous.

First, the 360 is a console game machine--not a computer. You aren't supposed to stream high-def media. You are not supposed to be using a laptop and mouse. You are not supposed to be plugging up countless things through a USB connection.

So it has a hard drive, RAM, multiple processors, a motherboard, and a graphics card but it's not a computer? Sounds like a computer with severe limitations to me.

sto110
12-07-2005, 06:43 AM
So it has a hard drive, RAM, multiple processors, a motherboard, and a graphics card but it's not a computer? Sounds like a computer with severe limitations to me.
:roll:
it is a gaming console

Bandit Chimera
12-07-2005, 06:43 AM
FYI -

------------

Anyone with half a brain can get things cheaper.

BB - wireless controller $30 + $10 rechargable battery pack. $40 isn't bad for a wireless controller if you price 'em.

Faceplate? $12 @ CC.

------------------

----------------------

Which is why there's that ethernet connection back there. No USB required.
And are you REALLY going to be using that video camera?

-----------------------

-----------------------

Of course, if you have one of these, chance are you already own a memory card reader. So, it's a moot point really.

Besides, is there that much of a demand for it? Especially when you can stream it directly from your camera/usb key/computer/etc? More components inside = more chance for stuff to get loose inside. More components inside = more heat generated.

The rest of the stuff is opinion stuff and not even worth discussing :)

BB is that best buy ? they really have wireless controlers for 40 ? shit i gotta go there if i want another controler lol

Taxman
12-07-2005, 06:44 AM
2. No killer games at launch
4. The hard drive isn't big enough
5. Limited keyboard/mouse support at launch
6. No built-in Wi-Fi
9. No built-in card readerFrom reading the Time magazine article several months ago, I got the impression that none of these things would be issues.

Cth
12-07-2005, 07:16 AM
Costco.com has some good prices on various Xbox 360 accessories. Shipping may kill the deal a bit, but if you buy a few things it is cheaper than going to your local retailer.

Wireless Controller - 38.99
Play & Charge - 14.99
Memory Card - 29.99
Multimedia Remote - 22.99
1st Party Games - 44.99
Other Developers 54.99

------------------

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=FKSJxY2VJAk&offerid=81180.457059364&type=10&subid= (http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=FKSJxY2VJAk&offerid=81180.457059364&type=10&subid=)

Computers4SURE (an Office Depot company) has the Xbox 360 wireless controllers for $39 each.
You get free shipping when you spend $50, so if you order two (or find some other filler), you are good to go.
Sales tax applies only to shipping addresses located in AA, CA, CT, DC, FL, HI, KS, LA, MA, MD, MS, NC, NE, RI, SD, TN, WI.

-----------------------

Xbox 360 Wireless Controller

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B6MLUA/ref%3Dnosim/cheapassgam08-20/104-0397389-7853510 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B6MLUA//ref=nosim/jinxworld-20)

List Price: $49.99
Price: $38.95
You Save: $11.04 (22%)

--------------

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1548052&highlight=coupon#post1548052 (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1548052&highlight=coupon#post1548052)

SCANS OF COUPONS IN ABOVE LINK
($10 off $30 or more purchase @ Best Buy)
($5 Gamer Gift card coupon)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?categoryid=pcmcat66900050003&id=1126591945583&skuid=7457575&type=product&ref=06&loc=01 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?categoryid=pcmcat66900050003&id=1126591945583&skuid=7457575&type=product&ref=06&loc=01)

$49-$15 = $34

---------

Etc, etc..

Circuit City will price match and give an extra 10% off if you find it cheaper as well :D

-------------

LOTS of options really if you want them :D

RegularJoe
12-07-2005, 07:29 AM
1. Beige isn't the new black - not a good enough reason to not buy a video game system, as far as i'm concerned.

2. No killer games at launch - a fair reason not to buy one NOW but not a god reason to not buy one EVER

3. Accessories cost a small fortune - I agree with this one...

4. The hard drive isn't big enough - as long as it can play the games and save them, i don't care how big the hard drive is

5. Limited keyboard/mouse support at launch - if i wanted to play PC games, i'll play them on my PC. my console games shouldn't need a keyboard or a mouse.

6. No built-in Wi-Fi - this only works if you want on-line gaming. i'm totally content to be an anti-social hermit in my room, so i'm fine without this.

7. Not enough USB ports, especially on the back - similar to the hard drive sentiment, as long as it has enough to do what it needs (controllers and the like) why should it have extra? and what do i need a web cam for when playing video games?

9. No built-in card reader - i understand this argument, but i'm buying the premium system eventually so this doesn't affect me all that much.

10. You can't get it. - I'm annoyed with this too, but I'm not buying a system until after Xmas at the earliest so I'll let it slide that the launched it without having enough to fill orders. PS2 and the origianl 'box did it last time.

and me being a dick on the issue is over.

Gavin
12-07-2005, 07:31 AM
You forgot the #1 reason: it costs a fortune that could be spent on better stuff.

Roman Noodles
12-07-2005, 07:31 AM
I was looking forward to The Revoultion and PS3 more anyway.