PDA

View Full Version : We need a David Q&A

Murdock's Girl
12-05-2005, 06:53 AM
So, as the title states, David needs his own Q&A thread. Here are some leading off questions :

1) How are you doing?

2) What's going on?

3) Best movie of all time is:

4) The movie you much rather take a gun and shoot yourself than watch again:

5) (This was a con question- but I got an answer thanks to davidmackguide.com.... I love that site). Most importantly- How is your dad doing?

6) What other books are you working on besides Kabuki ?

(Next question is a spoiler if you haven't read the latest New Avenger folks).

7) What do you think of Ronin? :) :) :twisted:

Tess/MG

AvidFan
12-06-2005, 03:28 AM
I'm quite happy with the art/comics and interviews to be honest

most of the question get answered in one form or another... and I do like a wee bit of mystery to my creators.

but that's just me!

AF.

Murdock's Girl
12-06-2005, 07:44 AM
Yea but im a completionist. Mike and Brian got Q&A threads....David should have one too-
that and I love David's post. they make me laugh at my computer and the people i work with think im a physco.
hehehe
Tess/MG

MACK!
12-06-2005, 12:53 PM
That's fine!
Everyone here can feel welcome to post the Qs. If it gets a lot of attention, we can make it a sticky :)

I'll do my best to respond with the As when I get a chance.

Best!

And I'm here with Bendis and Oeming right now!
Hows that for completionist.

copypastepuke
12-06-2005, 05:01 PM
mack:

out of all the celebrities you have done pictures for, who was your favorite? and can we see it?

whats the status on the big art book with all hte alias and kabuki covers?

Adam Witt
12-06-2005, 05:13 PM
David;

What artist or artists influenced your style the most?

What are your favorite comic stories of all time?

If you had the opportunity to do a series with one character--from any company or time, whatever--who would it be?

Who are your favorite writers/artists at this time?

Murdock's Girl
12-07-2005, 07:09 AM
And I'm here with Bendis and Oeming right now!
Hows that for completionist.

The woman I work with are giving me funny looks again for giggling at my computer.
No. Not complete. Andy isn't there! :)

hehehehehe
Tess

MACK!
12-09-2005, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=Murdock's Girl]So, as the title states, David needs his own Q&A thread. Here are some leading off questions :

1) How are you doing?

2) What's going on?

5) (This was a con question- but I got an answer thanks to davidmackguide.com.... I love that site). Most importantly- How is your dad doing?

1) Doing OK.
2) Workin on Kabuki #6.
Just returned from the fun with Bendis, Oeming, Maleev and Quesada.
3) At this moment I'll say Fight Club. Cause that's the mood I'm in.
4) I would never shoot myself. So if I'm shot, you'll know someone else did it.
(Actually Andy Lee shot me in the leg once ten years ago. I still have the X-ray).
5) Glad the DMG site helped you.
Medically, my dad is in the process of healing. But he still can't walk for a couple months. Hopefully the bones are going back together ok.
6) I can't tell just yet :)
7) I think Brian will do a great job with the character! :)

MACK!
12-09-2005, 09:04 PM
mack:

out of all the celebrities you have done pictures for, who was your favorite? and can we see it?

whats the status on the big art book with all hte alias and kabuki covers?

To tell you the truth, I always have the best time drawing and painting my friends and loved ones. That is pure fun.

The art book with all the covers is planned for 2006. Originally I was going to try to get it out before the current Kabuki story was finished, but now I think it is best to wrap up this Kabuki story, and follow it with the art book.

Any and all suggestions and requests about the art book will be considered. Please let me know what you are looking forward to most.

MACK!
12-09-2005, 09:12 PM
David;

What artist or artists influenced your style the most?

What are your favorite comic stories of all time?

If you had the opportunity to do a series with one character--from any company or time, whatever--who would it be?

Who are your favorite writers/artists at this time?

I'd have to say my mother has been the biggest influence on me artistically since I was a kid.
In comics, Frank Miller was the first to really make me want to do comics, and I studied his work quite a bit early on.

Some fave comics stories of all time... Watchmen, the first Sin City, Year One, I like Blankets, Schizo,

I had a blast doing DD which I read as a kid. It would be fun to write a Batman story someday.

As far as comics go, I always take a look at the new stuff from Alan Moore, Frank Miller, and Bendis. I generally look at anything by an artist or writer that is very personal and different from the average.

jccheung
12-10-2005, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=Murdock's Girl]So, as the title states, David needs his own Q&A thread. Here are some leading off questions :

*cough, cough* Echo *cough, cough* ;)

Murdock's Girl
12-10-2005, 03:17 PM

1) How are you doing?

2) What's going on?

1) Doing OK.
2) Workin on Kabuki #6.
(Actually Andy Lee shot me in the leg once ten years ago. I still have the X-ray).
Medically, my dad is in the process of healing. But he still can't walk for a couple months. Hopefully the bones are going back together ok.

Murdock's Girl
12-10-2005, 03:20 PM

1) How are you doing?

2) What's going on?

1) Doing OK.
2) Workin on Kabuki #6.

1) Yeah!
2) Drool....big puddle of anticpated drool.... which leads to this question: How many issues of Alchemy are there going to be?
3)good choice!
4)We definatly need an explanation on this one! (WHAT?????? ANDY????). But to rephrase the question: name a movie that you can't watch because its so horriable that its beyone train wreck waiting to occur:
5)Yeah! Your dad is doing better. That is good news. I will send good thoughts his way.
6) DAMN YOU!
7) Yeah....that's what I am thinking to.

new question: so Mack-daddy Q&A- is it a good thing?

god im so weird.
Tess/MG

Murdock's Girl
12-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Any and all suggestions and requests about the art book will be considered. Please let me know what you are looking forward to most.

Behind the scenes stuff of your DD runs?
Echo stuff please please please please please please?

Or better yet- A really big version of reflections. that would make me happy.

:)
Tess/MG

Angel
12-10-2005, 09:38 PM
this is such a great idea!

1- what was it about asian art and stories that drew you to them?
2- i've read that you studied japanese in college, what was it the made you want to study it?
3- if there is one thing you want people to take away from your work, what would it be?
4- how is it you can remember all the different people you meet at conventions from year to year? :D i'm good with faces, but terrible with names.
5- what is the best/worst thing about having so many fans?

DeadMike
12-14-2005, 05:59 AM
Cool a Q & A. I'll try to think of better and more indepth questions later but right now.

1.) Approx. how long will the Alchemy arc be? 9? 12?
2.) When's issue 6 coming out? I can't wait. Ya know it'd be a great way to ring in the new year (hint, hint).
3.) After Alchemy what's next on tap in the Kabukiverse? Tigerlilly Agents series? If so any hints on an artist? Rick Mays? Someone else?

JKCarrier
12-14-2005, 12:06 PM

I really enjoyed the article in Alchemy #5 showing how the Ghost Play cover came together. I love seeing how artists work, the problems they encounter and the solutions they come up with. You mentioned that there would be more of this kind of step-by-step documentation in the art book, so I'm definitely looking forward to that.

MACK!
12-14-2005, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=Murdock's Girl][QUOTE=MACK!]

1) Yeah!
2) Drool....big puddle of anticpated drool.... which leads to this question: How many issues of Alchemy are there going to be?
3)good choice!
4)We definatly need an explanation on this one! (WHAT?????? ANDY????). But to rephrase the question: name a movie that you can't watch because its so horriable that its beyone train wreck waiting to occur:
5)Yeah! Your dad is doing better. That is good news. I will send good thoughts his way.
6) DAMN YOU!
7) Yeah....that's what I am thinking to.

I'm trying to wrap Alchemy up at 8 issues at this point.
There is a possibility it could go to 9 if I don't cut out a lot of scenes that I've written. It is a challenging decision.

As for the movies, I try to avoid what I call the explosion movies. Which seem to be a bunch of explostions strung together or peppered throughout the movie with loug sound effects.

MACK!
12-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Behind the scenes stuff of your DD runs?
Echo stuff please please please please please please?

Or better yet- A really big version of reflections. that would make me happy.

:)
Tess/MG

I do have a lot of sketchwork and process stages of the DD and Echo stuff.
It would be fun to get it together sometime.
Hopefully they can include it if they collect the WAKE UP and ECHO story in hardcover.

I am hoping to get a new issue of Reflections out too :)
How many of you get the Reflections books?

GelfXIII
12-14-2005, 01:19 PM
David: I just got my Clayburn Moore Kabuki Statue. My question...

How cool is this frickin' thing???? Seriously. How cool? (my opinion? It's WAY frickin' cool! :lol:)
So tell us a bit about the process from your end. Did you go visit Moore's studio at 3 am and rant that he'd made the butt too big? Too small? Did you stay away and and chew your fingernails down to the quick waiting for him to send you some small little hint how awesome this would be? (I pretty much know that you would have done none of these things, but I would have! I'd have been a wreck! :D)

My wife said she wished there was a version of the statue that was less "Superhero-ish". Her favorite parts of the Kabui story are more concerned with her as a person, as opposed to an action figure. Any plans for a more dressed down statue? (Maybe in a "You dont know me" shirt?)

MACK!
12-14-2005, 01:22 PM
this is such a great idea!

1- what was it about asian art and stories that drew you to them?
2- i've read that you studied japanese in college, what was it the made you want to study it?
3- if there is one thing you want people to take away from your work, what would it be?
4- how is it you can remember all the different people you meet at conventions from year to year? :D i'm good with faces, but terrible with names.
5- what is the best/worst thing about having so many fans?

1- I just always connected to it. I like the expressive quality. And I like the Chinese and Japanese style of calligrapy that can at once represent images and also Kanji characters, because there is such an integration of word and image in each of the characters and the expressive way they are made.
2-I had to take a foreign language anyway for my degree. And as a freshman I had become close friends with a guy from Japan. So that gave me a reason to study Japanese. I could practice it outside of class and get help from my friends.
3- I enjoy hearing about the diverse things people get from my stories. And especially so when they say they got something from it that was helpful to them in some way.
4-Who are you?
Just kidding :) I remember you.
5- I love having such a diverse readership. It is great to get such different reactions and see what differnt things people get from it.
And certainly having such a wide readership makes it possible for me to continue doing the book.
Not really a down side to having fans. Ocassionaly people on the web or at a con can be rude or inconsiderate, but that doesn't seem to happen from people you'd call fans of my work.
I've generally experienced my readers to be some of the best and brightest people I've met, or who have written to me.

MACK!
12-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Cool a Q & A. I'll try to think of better and more indepth questions later but right now.

1.) Approx. how long will the Alchemy arc be? 9? 12?
2.) When's issue 6 coming out? I can't wait. Ya know it'd be a great way to ring in the new year (hint, hint).
3.) After Alchemy what's next on tap in the Kabukiverse? Tigerlilly Agents series? If so any hints on an artist? Rick Mays? Someone else?

1) 8 if I can cut it down. Probably 9 tops. Although I could easily do it at 10-12 if I had more time :)

2)It is solicited for February. But I've got it mostly completed now, so I'll release it early Feb at the latest.

3)Yeah, probably the Tiger Lily story.

MACK!
12-14-2005, 01:28 PM
I really enjoyed the article in Alchemy #5 showing how the Ghost Play cover came together. I love seeing how artists work, the problems they encounter and the solutions they come up with. You mentioned that there would be more of this kind of step-by-step documentation in the art book, so I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Hi JK,

Glad you liked that.
It is good to hear what people like included in the books to help with what to put in next time.

Do you read the Reflections books as well? They are 5 (so far) 48pg books completely dedicated to that kind of art process and commentary.

Thanks

MACK!
12-14-2005, 01:48 PM
David: I just got my Clayburn Moore Kabuki Statue. My question...

How cool is this frickin' thing???? Seriously. How cool? (my opinion? It's WAY frickin' cool! :lol:)
So tell us a bit about the process from your end. Did you go visit Moore's studio at 3 am and rant that he'd made the butt too big? Too small? Did you stay away and and chew your fingernails down to the quick waiting for him to send you some small little hint how awesome this would be? (I pretty much know that you would have done none of these things, but I would have! I'd have been a wreck! :D)

My wife said she wished there was a version of the statue that was less "Superhero-ish". Her favorite parts of the Kabui story are more concerned with her as a person, as opposed to an action figure. Any plans for a more dressed down statue? (Maybe in a "You dont know me" shirt?)

Q-How cool is this frickin' thing???? Seriously. How cool? (my opinion? It's WAY frickin' cool! :lol:)

A- I thought the butt was just great.
I'm incredibly impressed with Clay's skill at the musculature and instilling a sense of weight and volume in the figure.
I wasn't nervous at all. When Clay is working on something I have complete confidence in his skills. So I know it is going to be spectatular.

It is always a treat to get the new updated photos from him.
And I make my suggestions on each round if I have any.

Q-My wife said she wished there was a version of the statue that was less "Superhero-ish". Her favorite parts of the Kabui story are more concerned with her as a person, as opposed to an action figure. Any plans for a more dressed down statue? (Maybe in a "You dont know me" shirt?)[/QUOTE]

A- I understand this. I had suggested this kind of statue to Clay years ago. (even with that shirt and showing all the scars, etc).
But Clay doesn't believe that there is the same kind of market for that kind of sculpture. So he prefers to play up to what he sees as the more marketable side of the character to make it worth his time investment and his manufacturing investment in creating them.

But reader/fan opinions on this kind of thing are always welcome.
Continue to let me know what kind of statue, etc you'd like to see in the future.

DeadMike
12-15-2005, 06:11 AM

I have all 5 Reflection books and will continue to purchase them. It's a great behind the scenes look at your creative process. It's kind of the equivalent to the extra features on dvds. Like the behind the scenes documentaries and audio commentaries. I love it! Plus it's great to get a look at some of your non-Kabuki and non-comic related stuff.

Also thanks for answering all these questions.

JKCarrier
12-15-2005, 07:39 AM
Do you read the Reflections books as well?

Oh yes, I love 'em!

Murdock's Girl
12-16-2005, 07:58 AM
I do have a lot of sketchwork and process stages of the DD and Echo stuff.
It would be fun to get it together sometime.
Hopefully they can include it if they collect the WAKE UP and ECHO story in hardcover.

I am hoping to get a new issue of Reflections out too :)

Speaking of DD hardcovers-
are we ever going to see the 'mack daredevils' in a hardcover? The rumor seemed that V4 was suppose to be parts of a hole/vision quest/ wake up.

Reflections is awsome- they get better and better with each new one.

Don't cut out anything! I doubt you would have a problem selling a 9th kabuki issue.

New question- Why do you think people have an issue with Echo? They didn't like vision quest, they don't like her as Ronin....what's your take? (they= people from these boards and people from my LCS who should be shot to begin with).

speaking of shooting things- you never explained why andy shot you in the leg!
hehehehe
Tess/MG

Murdock's Girl
12-16-2005, 08:02 AM

Yeah! Tigerlilly!

Tess/MG

WayOfTheStrega
12-16-2005, 11:32 AM

Cewl, cewl.

WayOfTheStrega
12-16-2005, 11:33 AM
But I also know I certainly can't wait for a Snapdragon story only because Snapdragon is a kick ass character. :)

HotRob
12-18-2005, 10:43 AM
I definately always get and enjoy the Reflections editions you put out!!

Informitave, fun and interesting. They always draw me away from the technical drawing side of my art to relax and inspire random doodling.

Will Rick be doing the art chores on Tigerlilly?

Will you be returning to NZ in the next couple of years?

Best wishes for your fathers speedy recovery!
R.

Murdock's Girl
12-19-2005, 06:43 AM
[QUOTE=MACK!]
A- I thought the butt was just great.
[QUOTE]

sigh....men.... :roll:

hehehhe :twisted:
Tess/MG

MACK!
01-08-2006, 09:59 PM
I definately always get and enjoy the Reflections editions you put out!!

Informitave, fun and interesting. They always draw me away from the technical drawing side of my art to relax and inspire random doodling.

Will Rick be doing the art chores on Tigerlilly?

Will you be returning to NZ in the next couple of years?

Best wishes for your fathers speedy recovery!
R.

I do hope to return to NZ!

Give Gotham my best wishes!

MACK!
01-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Speaking of DD hardcovers-
are we ever going to see the 'mack daredevils' in a hardcover? The rumor seemed that V4 was suppose to be parts of a hole/vision quest/ wake up.

Reflections is awsome- they get better and better with each new one.

Don't cut out anything! I doubt you would have a problem selling a 9th kabuki issue.

New question- Why do you think people have an issue with Echo? They didn't like vision quest, they don't like her as Ronin....what's your take? (they= people from these boards and people from my LCS who should be shot to begin with).

speaking of shooting things- you never explained why andy shot you in the leg!
hehehehe
Tess/MG

I hope Marvel does release our WAKE UP story in Hardcover as well as the ECHO story in it. Brian and I were talking about it the other day. We'd love to see that.
I guess readers just need to ask Marvel for that if they want it sooner rather than later.

I'm glad to see the Alias Omnibus is being released. That is going to be grand.

Andy is Andy. The details are best not discussed. It was in St Louis in 95.
And unfortunatey I broke Andy's knee in 97. He used to live in my house and we had a kind of Fight Club life for a while. But instead of making soap we made art.

T-Dro
01-12-2006, 05:48 AM
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE an kabuki statue like this.

How about bookends, one with Ukiko as a small girl lying on her mother's memorial, and one as an adult at the end of COB.

OK, maybe that would be a bit morbid...

Q-My wife said she wished there was a version of the statue that was less "Superhero-ish". Her favorite parts of the Kabui story are more concerned with her as a person, as opposed to an action figure. Any plans for a more dressed down statue? (Maybe in a "You dont know me" shirt?)

A- I understand this. I had suggested this kind of statue to Clay years ago. (even with that shirt and showing all the scars, etc).
But Clay doesn't believe that there is the same kind of market for that kind of sculpture. So he prefers to play up to what he sees as the more marketable side of the character to make it worth his time investment and his manufacturing investment in creating them.

Continue to let me know what kind of statue, etc you'd like to see in the future.[/QUOTE]

Izebhel
01-17-2006, 08:30 AM
so, you've probably been asked this question eleventy billion times, but i'm curious. are you an artist that likes to have music playing or some kind of background noise going while you're working on a piece, or do you prefer to work in silence? do you think listening to something while working has any influence on the final product?

~Summer

MACK!
01-18-2006, 01:23 PM
so, you've probably been asked this question eleventy billion times, but i'm curious. are you an artist that likes to have music playing or some kind of background noise going while you're working on a piece, or do you prefer to work in silence? do you think listening to something while working has any influence on the final product?

~Summer

I do like listening to music while I work. Sometimes I have stuff on that gets me into the groove, and sometimes I turn it off, if I enter a phase where I want silence.

I have seen instances where it has an influence on the final thing. I know it has an influence on me while I'm doing it. But there are a few times it makes its way more overtly into the story.

By the way, I'm including one of your posts in the letters collumn of Kabuki #6 if you don't mind.

Lazy_Metaphors
01-20-2006, 08:52 AM
I love getting the chance to poke at the brain of someone I respect and admire. Hope these are okay.

--

1) In Kabuki #5, you spoke through Akemi and talked a great deal about how receiving credit should not be the ends to which your art works. While "Kabuki" and your forthcoming autobiographical work ("Self Portraits," you called it?) are without a doubt very personal stories, and your connection to them is in some ways almost as important as the stories themselves, have you considered doing future stories released under the Creative Commons license (http://www.creativecommons.org/)? Some known creators, such as science-fiction author Cory Doctorow (http://www.craphound.com/) and musician Jonathan Coulton (http://www.jonathancoulton.com), have in fact received greater publicity and paying audiences through their online use of the license and their wide-ranging permission to their fans to create their own works based on what they create.

2) When we're first starting out in any creative field, whether in our youth or in a late-found love for a particular medium, it's hard to avoid working in the style of, or even with the ideas of, our favorite creators. As we become more confident, we inevitably find our own voice, and become more comfortable in our own skin and thus with our own ideas and characters. What's your personal view with regards to the singularly massive fan community online, that seems at times to create more (be it of exceedingly variable quality) in a month than the commercial field does in a year, in art, narrative, music, and even things undefinable in new media? How does it feel as well, as a creator of note, to know that some of them are creating fanworks for their own benefit, and on occasion minor popularity within their own fan communities, based on your work?

3) The "Kabuki" story is already into its seventh volume and features hundreds of pages, and it's been many years since you've begun. There is, however, clearly a lot further that you want to take us within it - if nothing else, the promise of volumes based on each of the remaining Agents of the Noh implies years more worth of stories to come. Comics have had long epics before, but many of the stories either wind up being tales of combustion, or in one of the rare Western successes - Sim and Gerhard's "Cerebus" - the story was so different at the end from what it began as that much of their audience was no longer present. You're a pretty young guy to be as accomplished (to say nothing of talented!) as you are, but is this something that ever concerns you? Do you ever fear not getting a chance to finish Ukiko's saga - or fear perhaps even finding your interest wane? And do you see yourself, with regards to this one series, on a relatively set course, or do you think its evolution over time is uncontrollable?

4) Given your love of Eastern art and culture, and Manga's predominance in the comics industry in the last few years with no sign of abatement, and with a growing economical argument against the "issue" format, have you ever considered doing work not necessarily in the style of Manga or Manwha, but in that format? "Kabuki" might not be anything like any other Western comic on shelves today, but in format it's still a very Western product, with 20+ page single issues collected into large trade paperbacks later on. While printing concerns might negate the possibility of, say, releasing your painted work on smaller pages, I'm sure that a book you created to be released in that format - or even a release of a book that features more "traditional" art like "Agents: Scarab" - would do well amongst an audience that might not currently know about the title. A similar question could be asked about the webcomic format, as its audience grows and its content matures even as it becomes more financially feasible to work in that way (James Kochalka has said (http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=39;t=000104;p=1#000 000) that one of his most successful works is the subscriber-only online release of his "American Elf" journal comic).

5) You have an incredibly loyal fanbase - and justifiably so, as your work deserves that and more. However, as the comics industry becomes increasingly more fractured, in-roads like mainstream press coverage of the medium (which tends to cover an insular group of creators who focus on an atmosphere of desperation and ennui) and other, newer markets (who prefer to stick to their Manga / webcomics / Goth-themed books / old-school superheroics sans metafiction or deconstruction / et al), it does seem at times like the book isn't reaching everyone who'd enjoy it or appreciate it. While your fans certainly do everything they can to spread the word, why do you think a book as well-done and as all-encompassing as this isn't much bigger than it is?

6) Could you, or could you not, fix all of comics' problems with a jet-powered motorcycle (http://badbros.turbinebuilder.com/jetbike.html)?

Izebhel
01-23-2006, 08:58 AM
I do like listening to music while I work. Sometimes I have stuff on that gets me into the groove, and sometimes I turn it off, if I enter a phase where I want silence.

I have seen instances where it has an influence on the final thing. I know it has an influence on me while I'm doing it. But there are a few times it makes its way more overtly into the story.

By the way, I'm including one of your posts in the letters collumn of Kabuki #6 if you don't mind.

thanks so much for the answer! and, of course i don't mind if you put a post of mine in the letters collumn. i am surprised i posted anything worth printing, though! :)

GelfXIII
01-31-2006, 07:02 AM
Question: Is the face on the right Akemi?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/gelf13/DSC01195.jpg

MACK!
01-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Question: Is the face on the right Akemi?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/gelf13/DSC01195.jpg

No, that's Kageko.

She is in SKin Deep #3 and in Meta #9.

That is the cover of SKin Deep 3

And Michael, I mean to answer your Qs as well, just been busy :)

GelfXIII
01-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Cool. I thought that's who it was at first, but I kept looking at the bangs and contrasting it with the Akemi 'logo' and thinking "hmmmm..." (I've probably just been watching "lost" too much. I'm looking for hidden meanings everywhere. lol)

MACK!
01-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Cool. I thought that's who it was at first, but I kept looking at the bangs and contrasting it with the Akemi 'logo' and thinking "hmmmm..." (I've probably just been watching "lost" too much. I'm looking for hidden meanings everywhere. lol)

Well, I suppose you could make an arguement that the person that introduced herself as Kageko is really the Akemi that wrote to Kabuki when she was in her cell.

When she first meets Kageko she asks if she is Akemi.
And Kageko does personally give her an Akemi note even though she says some person named Akemi asked her to give it. :)

Persevering Guy
02-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Well, I suppose you could make an arguement that the person that introduced herself as Kageko is really the Akemi that wrote to Kabuki when she was in her cell.

When she first meets Kageko she asks if she is Akemi.
And Kageko does personally give her an Akemi note even though she says some person named Akemi asked her to give it. :)
but but but akemi means "light" and kageko means "shadow" So kageko wouldn't exist without Akemi, if you play the name game (akemi akemi bo bakemi banana fanna fo fakemi mi mai mo makemi: AKEMI!)

I got a question. Maybe I missed this in COB, what's Kabuki's family name? Her mother's?

MACK!
02-01-2006, 06:54 AM
but but but akemi means "light" and kageko means "shadow" So kageko wouldn't exist without Akemi, if you play the name game (akemi akemi bo bakemi banana fanna fo fakemi mi mai mo makemi: AKEMI!)

I got a question. Maybe I missed this in COB, what's Kabuki's family name? Her mother's?

Hey Goodman!
Good to see you here visiting us from the land of the rising sun.
You can keep us updated from your live broadcast in Japan :)

Well! Your Japanese skillZZ are paying off :)
Good call with the name meanings! :)
You just might be on to something!

Kabuki's mother's name was Tsukiko. Means girl of the moon.
She was Ainu and Ainu women are often given elemental names while ainu men are given animal names.
COB never specified if Tsukiko was just the closest Japanese aproximation to the meaning or pronunciation of her Ainu name, or if she went by that exact pronunciation even before being capture by the Japanese.

The General and Ryuichi both have the last name of Kai, which is the last name Kabuki grew up with under the General's care.
It is an old warrior class name. And also can have the meaning of "ghost".

Lazy_Metaphors
11-06-2006, 08:08 PM

Ten months later... ;)

Lazy_Metaphors
11-06-2006, 08:11 PM

Ten months later... ;)

Lazy_Metaphors
11-06-2006, 08:12 PM

Ten months later... ;)

Lazy_Metaphors
11-07-2006, 04:53 PM
... You know, that snarky comment is a lot less cute when it's posted three times. :surrend:

The board problems kept not posting it... or so I thought...

Gavin
12-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Will Kabuki: The Alchemy come out in a hardcover or just a trade?

MACK!
12-08-2006, 05:25 PM
I certainly plan to do it in hardcover!
Thanks for asking.

Lazy Metaphors, sorry, I forgot about your Q.
I'll catch up

Murdock's Girl
12-18-2006, 09:18 PM
I can't believe that I posted this thread over A YEAR AGO and its only on page 6! What's wrong with you people! :)

Im back from the dead
so to speak.
David I pm/emailed you. Please let me know what you think!

But besides that, I skimmed the boards and thanks to mackguide, im somewhat up to date.

Here's some questions..
1- Can we get a Kabuki Omnibus in a Oversized edtion like the Alias Omnibus?
2- Whats the word on the art book? soon? please? I want it already!

I'll think of more later my brain hurts now from writing so much. DAMN YOU DAVID FOR INSPIRATION! :) :twisted:

Tessana

MACK!
03-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Will Kabuki: The Alchemy come out in a hardcover or just a trade?

I intend to do both.
Hardcover first.

Run-BMC
03-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Wow... the turnaround time on these answers are ridiculous! :)

Anyway, David, again, it was a pleasure meeting you in SF.

Sooo... What is YOUR opinion on putting chili on spaghetti?

I can't stop doing it. As long as the chili has no beans, it's like PB and J.

MACK!
03-10-2007, 01:19 AM
I love getting the chance to poke at the brain of someone I respect and admire. Hope these are okay.

--

1) In Kabuki #5, you spoke through Akemi and talked a great deal about how receiving credit should not be the ends to which your art works. While "Kabuki" and your forthcoming autobiographical work ("Self Portraits," you called it?) are without a doubt very personal stories, and your connection to them is in some ways almost as important as the stories themselves, have you considered doing future stories released under the Creative Commons license (http://www.creativecommons.org/)? Some known creators, such as science-fiction author Cory Doctorow (http://www.craphound.com/) and musician Jonathan Coulton (http://www.jonathancoulton.com), have in fact received greater publicity and paying audiences through their online use of the license and their wide-ranging permission to their fans to create their own works based on what they create.

A- No, but I'm doing quite a lot of work behind the scenes as well.
I enjoy being a connector and catalyst as well as making my own work with or without my name on it.

Have you read The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell?

2) When we're first starting out in any creative field, whether in our youth or in a late-found love for a particular medium, it's hard to avoid working in the style of, or even with the ideas of, our favorite creators. As we become more confident, we inevitably find our own voice, and become more comfortable in our own skin and thus with our own ideas and characters. What's your personal view with regards to the singularly massive fan community online, that seems at times to create more (be it of exceedingly variable quality) in a month than the commercial field does in a year, in art, narrative, music, and even things undefinable in new media? How does it feel as well, as a creator of note, to know that some of them are creating fanworks for their own benefit, and on occasion minor popularity within their own fan communities, based on your work?

A- I'm not really in touch with a massive fan community creating that much work based on others characters.
Although I very much enjoy the KABUKI FAN ART THREAD here.
As far as the first part about being in the shadow of our influences, I've kind of always thought you have to do hundreds of pages and works first just to work those influences through your system until you get to yourself and your way of doing things.
So just do hundreds of pages just knowing that you are excercising things and it eventually gets you to yourself and peels away the parts of the external that are not you.

3) The "Kabuki" story is already into its seventh volume and features hundreds of pages, and it's been many years since you've begun. There is, however, clearly a lot further that you want to take us within it - if nothing else, the promise of volumes based on each of the remaining Agents of the Noh implies years more worth of stories to come. Comics have had long epics before, but many of the stories either wind up being tales of combustion, or in one of the rare Western successes - Sim and Gerhard's "Cerebus" - the story was so different at the end from what it began as that much of their audience was no longer present. You're a pretty young guy to be as accomplished (to say nothing of talented!) as you are, but is this something that ever concerns you? Do you ever fear not getting a chance to finish Ukiko's saga - or fear perhaps even finding your interest wane? And do you see yourself, with regards to this one series, on a relatively set course, or do you think its evolution over time is uncontrollable?

A- I don't worry about any of that.
I enjoy making things.
I always naturally intended for there to be evolution in the Kabuki story.
For each volume to be about something different. And a different era in the characters life.
And to tell it in a different way and invent different storytelling styles for each one.
That was one of the main points of interest for me in doing it.
A book ABOUT that natural evolution of character.

4) Given your love of Eastern art and culture, and Manga's predominance in the comics industry in the last few years with no sign of abatement, and with a growing economical argument against the "issue" format, have you ever considered doing work not necessarily in the style of Manga or Manwha, but in that format? "Kabuki" might not be anything like any other Western comic on shelves today, but in format it's still a very Western product, with 20+ page single issues collected into large trade paperbacks later on. While printing concerns might negate the possibility of, say, releasing your painted work on smaller pages, I'm sure that a book you created to be released in that format - or even a release of a book that features more "traditional" art like "Agents: Scarab" - would do well amongst an audience that might not currently know about the title. A similar question could be asked about the webcomic format, as its audience grows and its content matures even as it becomes more financially feasible to work in that way (James Kochalka has said (http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=39;t=000104;p=1#000 000) that one of his most successful works is the subscriber-only online release of his "American Elf" journal comic).

A- I'm open to trying all different kinds of formats.
Looking forward to more and more of that.
The right format for a story project.

5) You have an incredibly loyal fanbase - and justifiably so, as your work deserves that and more. However, as the comics industry becomes increasingly more fractured, in-roads like mainstream press coverage of the medium (which tends to cover an insular group of creators who focus on an atmosphere of desperation and ennui) and other, newer markets (who prefer to stick to their Manga / webcomics / Goth-themed books / old-school superheroics sans metafiction or deconstruction / et al), it does seem at times like the book isn't reaching everyone who'd enjoy it or appreciate it. While your fans certainly do everything they can to spread the word, why do you think a book as well-done and as all-encompassing as this isn't much bigger than it is?

A- I do think there are a lot more people out there that would enjoy Kabuki than know about it.
One of the main things I hear from Kabuki readers, is that they don't read comics, and Kabuki is a comic that brought them into comics or is the only one they read.

So apparently the bulk of my would be readers, are not comic readers already.
Weird to do a comic book when my demographic is not comic book readers.
So that has been a unique challeng from the beginning.
So far, readers have been able to find the book.
And the book finds readers.
But I agree that it is just the tip of the ice berg compared to the potential audience that would have an interest in the subject matter.
Perhaps having it in bookstores will help.
And people reading the Shy Creatures in bookstores and then finding Kabuki after that could help too.
As would having a good Kabuki film that would bring readers to the book.
I think there are many other avenues to bring readers to the book and I am open to any of your suggestions.
Again, The Tipping Point book has some insight on this.

6) Could you, or could you not, fix all of comics' problems with a jet-powered motorcycle (http://badbros.turbinebuilder.com/jetbike.html)?

[QUOTE=Lazy_Metaphors;1248191]I love getting the chance to poke at the brain of someone I respect and admire. Hope these are okay.

--

A- No, but I'm doing quite a lot of work behind the scenes as well.
I enjoy being a connector and catalyst as well as making my own work with or without my name on it.

Have you read The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell?

A- I'm not really in touch with a massive fan community creating that much work based on others characters.
Although I very much enjoy the KABUKI FAN ART THREAD here.
As far as the first part about being in the shadow of our influences, I've kind of always thought you have to do hundreds of pages and works first just to work those influences through your system until you get to yourself and your way of doing things.
So just do hundreds of pages just knowing that you are excercising things and it eventually gets you to yourself and peels away the parts of the external that are not you.

A- I don't worry about any of that.
I enjoy making things.
I always naturally intended for there to be evolution in the Kabuki story.
For each volume to be about something different. And a different era in the characters life.
And to tell it in a different way and invent different storytelling styles for each one.
That was one of the main points of interest for me in doing it.
A book ABOUT that natural evolution of character.

A- I'm open to trying all different kinds of formats.
Looking forward to more and more of that.
The right format for a story project.

A- I do think there are a lot more people out there that would enjoy Kabuki than know about it.
One of the main things I hear from Kabuki readers, is that they don't read comics, and Kabuki is a comic that brought them into comics or is the only one they read.

So apparently the bulk of my would be readers, are not comic readers already.
Weird to do a comic book when my demographic is not comic book readers.
So that has been a unique challeng from the beginning.
So far, readers have been able to find the book.
And the book finds readers.
But I agree that it is just the tip of the ice berg compared to the potential audience that would have an interest in the subject matter.
Perhaps having it in bookstores will help.
And people reading the Shy Creatures in bookstores and then finding Kabuki after that could help too.
As would having a good Kabuki film that would bring readers to the book.
I think there are many other avenues to bring readers to the book and I am open to any of your suggestions.
Again, The Tipping Point book has some insight on this.

MACK!
03-10-2007, 01:24 AM
Wow... the turnaround time on these answers are ridiculous! :)

Anyway, David, again, it was a pleasure meeting you in SF.

Sooo... What is YOUR opinion on putting chili on spaghetti?

I can't stop doing it. As long as the chili has no beans, it's like PB and J.

I enjoy chili just fine, and prefer without beans too.
I'm conservative with my intake of pasta, but now and then chili on pasta is fine when I in the right mood and hungry enough.

Run-BMC
03-10-2007, 01:25 AM
Oh, so we're asking serious questions... :(

Re: Daredevil: End of Days

How does someone like yourself co-write something, ESPECIALLY when the two writers are BOTH also artists and NEITHER is drawing it? Is it easy to take off the artist hat and put on the writer one?

Run-BMC
03-10-2007, 01:26 AM
I enjoy chili just fine, and prefer without beans too.
I'm conservative with my intake of pasta, but now and then chili on pasta is fine when I in the right mood and hungry enough.

Awesome :)

MACK!
03-10-2007, 01:27 AM
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE an kabuki statue like this.

How about bookends, one with Ukiko as a small girl lying on her mother's memorial, and one as an adult at the end of COB.

OK, maybe that would be a bit morbid...

Continue to let me know what kind of statue, etc you'd like to see in the future.[/QUOTE]

I'm fine with some scuptures like that.
feel welcome to let Clay know of your interests.

By the way, Terry, I hope you liked the DVD.

I hear there will be a screening of it with Q&A at Pittsburgh.
Along with one for Terry Moore.

MACK!
03-10-2007, 01:38 AM
Oh, so we're asking serious questions... :(

Re: Daredevil: End of Days

How does someone like yourself co-write something, ESPECIALLY when the two writers are BOTH also artists and NEITHER is drawing it? Is it easy to take off the artist hat and put on the writer one?

Well, I pretty much always have a writers hat on anytime I'm doing a book.
At the moment it is a reversable hat that my brother gave me and is keeping my ears warm.

The co-writing thing is a lot more fun than I would have thought it would be if I had thought about it years ago. Then I would have thought that I'd want to meticulously control everything.

But co-writing is a blast. Because we have a conversation about what we want fromt the story. And then the story kind of materializes from that CONVERSATION!.
The 2 heads coming together to make ideas that you wouldn't think of alone.
Way less work than slaving over it on your own for days.

Then I'll write my version of things based on that conversation.
For instance, last DD issue, I had an outline of the story jotted down from a phone conversation with Brian.
Then I used that as the basis for what I typed up and would have considered a fully detailed script.
Something finished enought that I would have been able to turn it in.

And then I sent that to Brian.
And then that gave him more ideas and he added to that, etc.

And sometimes we talked about what was going to happen in such detail, that Brian said, "hey lets stop talking about this, it is getting too detailed"
I just want to write it based on this talk, and I want it loose enough that the characters will just do things and suprise me"

WHich was very interesting. I would have thought we'd want those details worked out ahead of time.
But Brian made a good point of leaving some margin for magic to happen in the typing process of the page to page writing.

So kind of different each issue so far.
But lots of fun and surprising. Which is what you want.

Run-BMC
03-10-2007, 03:13 PM
That is really cool.... Thanks for giving such a great answer.

But co-writing is a blast. Because we have a conversation about what we want fromt the story. And then the story kind of materializes from that CONVERSATION!

That's so awesome. That has to better than just sitting alone in front of a computer.

But Brian made a good point of leaving some margin for magic to happen in the typing process of the page to page writing.

That has to be true. Kind of like when you draw in ink over really loose layouts. The looser the layouts, the more organic stuff can look sometimes, and you get all sorts of happy accidents.

Definitely looking forward to the book. Big fan of both your writings.

MACK!
04-15-2007, 01:24 PM
I can't believe that I posted this thread over A YEAR AGO and its only on page 6! What's wrong with you people! :)

Im back from the dead
so to speak.
David I pm/emailed you. Please let me know what you think!

But besides that, I skimmed the boards and thanks to mackguide, im somewhat up to date.

Here's some questions..
1- Can we get a Kabuki Omnibus in a Oversized edtion like the Alias Omnibus?
2- Whats the word on the art book? soon? please? I want it already!

I'll think of more later my brain hurts now from writing so much. DAMN YOU DAVID FOR INSPIRATION! :) :twisted:

Tessana

Hi Tess,
#1- Yes, I think so. I'm thinking oversize editions. Maybe have a name like Complete Kabuki or Absolute Kabuki- -- (please let me know if you have other name suggestions)
Volume 1 of the oversize would include Circle of Blood and Dreams.
Vol 2 would include Skin Deep and Metamorphosis.
Vol 3 would include Masks of the Noh and Scarab.

What do you think of that?
any suggestions and ideas are welcome.

#2- Yeah, I need to get this art book together.

My initial idea, was that the oversize artbook would include all the Kabuki covers and my favorite DD and Alias covers.
Let me know what you think.
Any suggestions welcome.

I think I am caught up on the Q&A now, right?
Ready for more...

Gavin
04-15-2007, 05:03 PM
I would love to see oversized editions, and the order in which they'd come out sounds great. We also need a collected Reflections.

As for the book of covers, if it's got your name on it, consider it sold.

Do you have a long-term plan for Kabuki, or do you go arc-to-arc?

Murdock's Girl
04-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi Tess,
#1- Yes, I think so. I'm thinking oversize editions. Maybe have a name like Complete Kabuki or Absolute Kabuki- -- (please let me know if you have other name suggestions)

My initial idea, was that the oversize artbook would include all the Kabuki covers and my favorite DD and Alias covers.
Any suggestions welcome.

I think I am caught up on the Q&A now, right?
Ready for more...

Oh you are caught up, I was just a bit steamed at everyone else! I mean, come on already! :)

Hmm..Absolute Kabuki sounds good. Ohh.. it should have a slip cover box thingie too! And the box can be like, all black with the Noh dragon on one side and Kabuki's sicle on the other!!!! (in my dreams maybe).

YES GET THE ART BOOK TOGETHER ALREADY! God you mentioned it like two years ago...sigh... me want...now! :) lol.
Yea.. alllllllll the covers. I think it should be like a really big Reflections type of thing- I don't know about anyone else, but I like seeing where you pull your ideas from (i.e. the last reflections for example). Heck, we were talking about childhood memories in my Devolpment and Pre-production class the other day and thursday I brought reflections into class... there are alot of people who are becoming fans now :) hehehe... im so sneaky.

The thing is Mack, to be bluntly honest, no matter what you do with your art book, I know its going to be different than any other art book out there. Why? Because its you- you always do everything different.

I was talking to Scrouge the other day, and I told him I think it would be really intresting to see you do a straight penciled book. No funky colors, no collages, nothing but the same 'boring' panels that I see in every marvel comic.... I think even then you will still break the monotony. I can't even count Parts of Hole (not because Joe drew it), even then your layouts were different.

Sigh... ohhhhh and you need to include in the art book all the tiny bits and pieces on how in god's name you came up with Echo. Seriously. We had to write treatments based off a dream for D & P right? sooooo I made the dumb mistake of reading DD before bed, and I had this really (in retrospect) funny dream of Echo chasing dogs all over Chicago in rollerblades. And she was doing weird things, like skating on the Millenium Amphitheater and the El trains. My teacher thought it was hilarious. Sigh.

Ok back to homework. sigh

EDIT:
Long rambling post brought to you by a coffee high and lack of sleep due to roommates HORRIABLE sister that I had to put up with for the last week and a half. :)

Murdock's Girl
04-15-2007, 06:34 PM
I would love to see oversized editions, and the order in which they'd come out sounds great. We also need a collected Reflections.

Why couldn't the OHC have the Reflections included into them as bonus material? Like the first 2 are in the OHC 1 and so on and so forth.

But don't put them into the art book. I think the art book should be its own entity. :)

MACK!
04-16-2007, 02:43 AM

I've always had some broad strokes of long-term plan and more detailed vision of the immediate arcs.

For instance, I mapped out Circle of Blood first.
And in the process of working on it, I had some ideas of what I'd like to see up through Skin Deep and Metamorphosis (and some other story arcs).

And in the process of working on Metamorphosis, I had broad stroke ideas for future stories (including The Alchemy).

A lot of the story arc ideas, I write on my wall. And add little details to them as I think of them.
I also have files for them all.

MACK!
04-16-2007, 02:48 AM

And thanks.
And, yeah, I really need to get a collected volume of Reflections 1-4.
5-7 are all still in print, but 1-4 are out of print now (which is something I try to never let happen to any of my books).
I'll see about getting 1-4 into a "Reflections Collection vol 1".

By the way, I'm sending Reflections #8 off to Marvel now.
So that should be out by early June.
Lots of goodies and new stuff in it.

Batou
04-22-2007, 11:29 AM

Any suggestions welcome.

Hi David,

it's great to be able to talk to you again. You probably don't remember me, but we've met two times at Nic's Comics in Düsseldorf, Germany.

And, since this is my first time posting here, hi to everyone else.

I think that in principle oversized Kabuki Collections are a good idea, but IMHO there should be good reasons for someone like me, who already has a complete collection of Kabuki hardcovers, to buy them.

If the new editions are oversized then I think the picture resolution should be higher as well, because size alone doesn't really make a difference. I recently compared the Kabuki story in Frank Frazetta Fantasy Illustrated #1 with the corresponding pages in the Metamorphosis Hardcover, (from Metamorphosis #6) and I found that the pages in Fantasy Illustrated had higher resolution. Especially on the sixth page of the story in the magazine I could see more details than on the corresponding page of the hardcover. I could even read some of the furigana from the Japanese Text in the background. That kind of resolution would be right for an oversized edition.

New bonus material would also be great. After all, there should be something so far unpublished in an edition like that.

One small detail for Vol. 2 would be that it should include the story from the Kabuki Fan Edition that was reprinted in Reflections #1. It would probably fit between the Skin Deep and Metamorphosis stories.
I think it would also make sense to put the Dance of Death Story at the very beginning of Vol. 1 where it fits chronologically.
Then the oversized editions would really be complete editions of Kabuki.

And my decision whether or not to buy them would, of course, also depend on the price. I could certainly afford them at about $50 per volume. I know that Vol. 2 will probably be somewhat more expensive than the other two on account of being full color.

The idea for the art book sounds good to me.

Murdock's Girl
04-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi David,

it's great to be able to talk to you again. You probably don't remember me, but we've met two times at Nic's Comics in Düsseldorf, Germany.

I think that in principle oversized Kabuki Collections are a good idea, but IMHO there should be good reasons for someone like me, who already has a complete collection of Kabuki hardcovers, to buy them.

If the new editions are oversized then I think the picture resolution should be higher as well, because size alone doesn't really make a difference. I recently compared the Kabuki story in Frank Frazetta Fantasy Illustrated #1 with the corresponding pages in the Metamorphosis Hardcover, (from Metamorphosis #6) and I found that the pages in Fantasy Illustrated had higher resolution. Especially on the sixth page of the story in the magazine I could see more details than on the corresponding page of the hardcover. I could even read some of the furigana from the Japanese Text in the background. That kind of resolution would be right for an oversized edition.

New bonus material would also be great. After all, there should be something so far unpublished in an edition like that.

One small detail for Vol. 2 would be that it should include the story from the Kabuki Fan Edition that was reprinted in Reflections #1. It would probably fit between the Skin Deep and Metamorphosis stories.
I think it would also make sense to put the Dance of Death Story at the very beginning of Vol. 1 where it fits chronologically.

And my decision whether or not to buy them would, of course, also depend on the price. I could certainly afford them at about $50 per volume. I know that Vol. 2 will probably be somewhat more expensive than the other two on account of being full color.

Welcome to the Boards of craziness!
This is the extact reasoning why I started the Q&A thread-- we can talk about things like this. I think you bring up EXCELLENT points.

See for someone like me, the reason i would like the OHC (and why I am pushing for them so much):
a) I have so many copies of metamorphsis lifted from me when I would give it to people to read. I would keep the OHC's for me and loan out the TPBs.
b) OHCS look soooooo much better on my shelf!
c) Esp. since Kabuki came to ICON there are a bunch of new readers. Thankfully (David being the smart genuis that he is) wrote Alchemy in such a way that it was like welcoming the new readers with open arms. HOWEVER- for people like me (who came late into the industry or to a series) it is so much easier to get the rest of a collection in TPB or OHC. Here is a great example:
I didn't start reading comics until shortly after 9/11 when my forensics coach had me write a speech proving how comic books and comic strips can be persusive forms of media. (I would love to re-write this now, knowing comics a million times better). I didn't get around to the ultimate universe until USM was shipping on issue 70 something. Am I going to go get all the direct back issues on inflated prices? no. the TPBs? for that many volumes? no. the OHC's collect better that way (in my head).
Even better example: I had started reading Alias in TPB but at that point the TPBs were already out of print. I bought the omnibus and couldn't be happier with it.

I completly agree with you- esp. on the resolution factor. It is the only way to give David's art any justice in the format. I would also like to throw my two cents in about the binding: the one thing I have a major issue with is that COB binding in TPB eats up dialouge and art and is at some points really hard to read. Now I don't know if that is at fault of the binding, or if David's art just bleeds into the margins like that (oh, am i forever thankful for being an editor on my school's magazine). if COB goes into OHC I think whoever is laying out the spreads needs to compensate room for the binding so David's work doesn't bleed into the binding.

Murdock's Girl
04-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Oh I got an idea for bonus material stuff.
- "directors commentary" seriously. I love that shit to death. It would be REALLY intresting seeing your thoughts on (esp) the earlier volumes of kabuki now David.
-i don't know if you remember this Mack-daddy; But at WWC last year, when I showed you that Kabuki cell I got, you mentioned (joking-ly) that you should put your blueboards and stuff up on ebay: why not do that and also put random stuff like it in the bonus material?
-what about some of the letters you got for Teardrops? I don't know about anyone else, but I love reading teardrops. A lot of those letters are amazing stories in and of themselves.

more to come..need more coffee. its my new drug.

MACK!
04-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi David,

Great to hear from you and welcome to this board!
I had a great time signing at Nic's in Germany.
Those entire tours were so much fun.
Thanks for attending that.
And thanks for continuing to follow my work!

All of the points you made are absolutely great points.
You made a lot of great reasons for why I should do these and how.
That is just the kind of advice I was hoping to get.
Ultimately, I want the book formats to have what the readers want from them.

Thank you very much for that,
and I hope you will continue to be a presence here.

And if you see Nic, please tell him hello for me!
best,
david

MACK!
04-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Oh I got an idea for bonus material stuff.
- "directors commentary" seriously. I love that shit to death. It would be REALLY intresting seeing your thoughts on (esp) the earlier volumes of kabuki now David.
-i don't know if you remember this Mack-daddy; But at WWC last year, when I showed you that Kabuki cell I got, you mentioned (joking-ly) that you should put your blueboards and stuff up on ebay: why not do that and also put random stuff like it in the bonus material?
-what about some of the letters you got for Teardrops? I don't know about anyone else, but I love reading teardrops. A lot of those letters are amazing stories in and of themselves.

more to come..need more coffee. its my new drug.

Wonderful ideas, Tess.
I think it will be a good idea to include a "best of" letters in the collections as well.
And I do have quite a lot of bonus material that I could include.

Batou
04-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Great to hear from you and welcome to this board!
I had a great time signing at Nic's in Germany.
Those entire tours were so much fun.
Thanks for attending that.
And thanks for continuing to follow my work!

All of the points you made are absolutely great points.
You made a lot of great reasons for why I should do these and how.
That is just the kind of advice I was hoping to get.
Ultimately, I want the book formats to have what the readers want from them.

Thank you very much for that,
and I hope you will continue to be a presence here.

And if you see Nic, please tell him hello for me!
best,
david

Thanks David.

As long as Kabuki continues I will certainly continue to be a presence here. It's still my favorite comic series. Thank you very much for continuing it. I think that too many comic creators have given up on the titles they own themselves.

I have read that #9 of The Alchemy will be the last issue of that series. I am looking forward to it and to the series following that.

This may have been answered here before, but are you still planning a Tigerlily Series or are the following series of Kabuki going to concentrate on Ukiko only?

best,

Carsten

MACK!
05-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks David.

As long as Kabuki continues I will certainly continue to be a presence here. It's still my favorite comic series. Thank you very much for continuing it. I think that too many comic creators have given up on the titles they own themselves.

I have read that #9 of The Alchemy will be the last issue of that series. I am looking forward to it and to the series following that.

This may have been answered here before, but are you still planning a Tigerlily Series or are the following series of Kabuki going to concentrate on Ukiko only?

best,

Carsten

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for saying hi to Nic in Dusseldorf.
I got an e-mail from saying hello.
I am planning on doing a Tigerlily story too.
I have the story outlined and worked out from a while back.

Thanks for reading!
david