PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to see Syriana this weekend?

Seltzer Water
12-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Tonight going to see the Sarah Silverman movie, but I will probably go see Syriana tomorrow. Anyone else going to see it?

Petey Parker
12-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Its only out in like NY and LA at the moment. Most of us have to wait til next week :)

glk
12-02-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm dying to see it, but this weekend will be tough. Very high on the list.

Shwicaz
I have a sneak peek ticket for tuesday night, but I have to work.

Corwin: Bear Fighter
Fuck you people in LA and NY. Fuck you right in the ass.

skinnyrunaway
12-02-2005, 01:49 PM
i saw it a few weeks ago at a special screening, and it was really good. little confusing at first, but it really picked up to a slam bang ending.

Jonny Z
12-02-2005, 01:49 PM
i wanna see it, but i hate leaving the house. i'm a shut in. i even built a fort made out of pillows and spongebob stuffed animals.

Seltzer Water
12-02-2005, 01:52 PM
i wanna see it, but i hate leaving the house. i'm a shut in. i even built a fort made out of pillows and spongebob stuffed animals.

it is fucking cold outside, but I live five blocks from the theater.

Jonny Z
12-02-2005, 01:53 PM
it is fucking cold outside, but I live five blocks from the theater.

oh and a i bought a DS, mario kart, and phoenix wright ace attorney!!! i wont have to leave the house for weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1123456789101112131415161718 1920

Mr. E!
12-02-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm going to see it next weekend. And is it wrong for me to find one of the biggest selling points of the movie Alexander Siddig?

Jonny Z
12-02-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm going to see it next weekend. And is it wrong for me to find one of the biggest selling points of the movie Alexander Siddig?

heh yeah my eyes lit up when i first saw him in the trailers

Mr. E!
12-02-2005, 02:08 PM
heh yeah my eyes lit up when i first saw him in the trailers

It felt like "Local boy makes it big".
And since you have it in your sig: when the hell is Southland Tales coming out?

Jonny Z
12-02-2005, 02:18 PM
It felt like "Local boy makes it big".
And since you have it in your sig: when the hell is Southland Tales coming out?

maybe fall 2006? thats what it appears.

THWIP!
12-02-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm going next week. I can't wait.

Simps
12-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Doesn't come out in Boston until next weekend. Will surely see it, though. My friend was at the premiere last week and said it was great. Then again, his next movie is starring Clooney, so I'm sure thats part of it.

MattJohnson
12-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Saw it tonight. Really dug it.

BWC Boston
12-09-2005, 10:45 PM
I saw it Tuesday. It was excellent.

That's really about it.

MattJohnson
12-09-2005, 10:47 PM
I saw it Tuesday. It was excellent.

That's really about it.

Were you at all surprised that this movie even existed? That was one of the thoughts I was left with (with which I was left), that it was unlikely such a movie would come out of Hollywood. I know there's the whole "left-wing hippie" thing about Hollywood, if you want to believe that, but I mean the whole "we're all rich and white; let's not rock the boat" deal.

Humphrey_Lee
12-09-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm gonna try and see Syriana, King Kong, and Narnia all on my next full day off

BWC Boston
12-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Were you at all surprised that this movie even existed? That was one of the thoughts I was left with (with which I was left), that it was unlikely such a movie would come out of Hollywood. I know there's the whole "left-wing hippie" thing about Hollywood, if you want to believe that, but I mean the whole "we're all rich and white; let's not rock the boat" deal.
I was mostly surprised that it had the balls to cram as much information as it did into two little hours. Corporate mergers, religious extremism, politics, royal succession, family drama, espionage. It's a ton for a normal audience to take in, and I'm more amazed that a mainstream production wouldn't dumb it down.

As for the the political slant--I thought it was more evenhanded than I expected. SYRIANA could have been Michael Moore's take on a summer event film, but it was less "ooh, look what the righties gone done" and more "god, this oil business is fucking corrupt." "The President" is only referred to twice, and never by name, and Iraq (country or war) is never mentioned at all.

They picked their battles. Politicians aren't this movie's bad guys; corruption, greed, and beauracracy are. The fact that our current administration trade in each of those is presented as almost coincidental.

MattJohnson
12-09-2005, 11:14 PM
I was mostly surprised that it had the balls to cram as much information as it did into two little hours. Corporate mergers, religious extremism, politics, royal succession, family drama, espionage. It's a ton for a normal audience to take in, and I'm more amazed that a mainstream production wouldn't dumb it down.

As for the the political slant--I thought it was more evenhanded than I expected. SYRIANA could have been Michael Moore's take on a summer event film, but it was less "ooh, look what the righties gone done" and more "god, this oil business is fucking corrupt." "The President" is only referred to twice, and never by name, and Iraq (country or war) is never mentioned at all.

They picked their battles. Politicians aren't this movie's bad guys; corruption, greed, and beauracracy are. The fact that our current administration trade in each of those is presented as almost coincidental.

Good points. You're right, that it wasn't a specific condemnation, but I guess my surprise was just that they would make a movie basically saying: Look at what we have to do* to get you your precious oil

*"have to do" obviously a debatable statement

sonnylarue
12-10-2005, 12:10 AM
I'm going to try to see it this weekend.

joespam
12-10-2005, 05:05 AM
I'm going to see it next weekend. And is it wrong for me to find one of the biggest selling points of the movie Alexander Siddig?Right there with ya.

dEnny!
12-10-2005, 06:16 AM
There are a ton of movies I'm wanting to watch:

Chronicles of Narnia
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Syrnianna
Good Night, and Good Luck
Chicken Little
Walk the Line

cmoney
12-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Just got back from it. Great flick, and make sure you bring your brain with you when you go.

copypastepuke
12-10-2005, 12:26 PM
i loved it. i saw it last night, and i have to say, robert eslit ( i think thats his name) is an awesome cinematographer. seriously the film looked amazing. great feel to it.

and i thought it was awesome. a bit slow at times for some people, but i think that it still managed to hold everyones attention. great film. really well acted. alexander sidig was the eldest prince right? he was wonderful

X arseface X
12-10-2005, 12:52 PM
I just got back from seeing this and I've got to say that I'm really impressed. My only problem with this film was the pacing. In certain stretches of the movie there is so much going on that it's almost hard to follow, and in other patches you get characters having long winded conversations that don't advance the plot at all. It was strange to me.

Doug
12-12-2005, 05:25 AM

While I thought the movie was great, I kind of disagree with you. I saw it as a "Hippy Liberal" Political Drama. The "Good Guys" were the Prince who didn't want to do buisiness with America, the CIA agent who tried to save his life, and it showed sympathy for suicide bombers. While the "Bad Guys" were Big Oil, the Lawyers who defend them,Bob's "friend", and the Prince who wants to do business with America.

I did think it was a very good movie, but I thought it did wear it's politics on it's sleeve.

Evan the Shaggy
12-12-2005, 05:27 AM
They showed my college in Syriana....kind of. When they show that campus and say its Princeton, it was really Loyola College of Baltimore.

I tell ya, we get no recognition.

Seltzer Water
12-13-2005, 12:48 PM
While I thought the movie was great, I kind of disagree with you. I saw it as a "Hippy Liberal" Political Drama. The "Good Guys" were the Prince who didn't want to do buisiness with America, the CIA agent who tried to save his life, and it showed sympathy for suicide bombers. While the "Bad Guys" were Big Oil, the Lawyers who defend them,Bob's "friend", and the Prince who wants to do business with America.

I did think it was a very good movie, but I thought it did wear it's politics on it's sleeve.

From a guy with John Ashcroft in his sig., I thought Syriana was pretty even handed. It didn't say oil is bad. Made me wish I was in the CIA in the 80's so I could have oil contacts in the middle east. Also, if you ever need to play soccer, there are some great little camps in the middle of the desert.

I enjoyed it but didnt think it was a great film Did anyone else think "I'm King of the World" when the terrorist on the boat