PDA

View Full Version : $4.99 iPod? College Student Accused In Barcode Switch

Cth
12-02-2005, 11:39 AM
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/technology/5449909/detail.html (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/technology/5449909/detail.html)

$4.99 iPod? College Student Accused In Barcode Switch
CU Freshman Begs Police To Let Him Go

BOULDER, Colo. -- A 19-year-old freshman at the University of Colorado faces criminal charges after police said he made a fake bar code label to buy an iPod for $4.99. The actual price of the MP3 player was $149.99.

Jonathan Baldino was arrested Wednesday at a Target store and police said the electrical-engineering student admitted making phony bar codes using a program he downloaded off the Internet.

Police said he downloaded a program called "Barcode Magic" and used it to generate low-priced codes that could placed over actual, more expensive, bar codes.

Baldino wrote a statement for police that begged them not to prosecute him, according to The Denver Post.

"I will NEVER EVER DO THIS EVER AGAIN and I am once more terribly sorry," Baldino wrote. "Please let me go for I am terribly sorry!!! I'm only a kid! Help me out. I just want to go home. I did this not knowing of the serious penalty that lies behind it. Please! Please! Please!"

Baldino faces a felony charge of forgery and two misdemeanor counts of theft.

According to its Web site, the Barcode Magic program allows users to "generate bar codes for home, hobby and retail with our easy to use bar-code software. Simply select a bar-code style and font, enter desired text and numbers, and a bar code is automatically created."

Police said that Baldino didn't even pay for the software program. He used barcodes generated during the 15-day trial period.

SAVETHEB
12-02-2005, 11:42 AM
haha, go kid, sounds like a great plan.....except for the whole getting caught part

copypastepuke
12-02-2005, 11:44 AM
yeah, if he wasnt greedy he could have gotten away with it.

me? im still fine with the regular five finger discount.
or at least the removal of the tag and then making up what i thought it was priced.

Tim Simmons
12-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Oh, c'mon $4.99?!

That's like changing an "F" on your report card to an "A":...it turns into a "B" just as easily...don't get greedy.

Amos Moses
12-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Oh, c'mon $4.99?!

That's like changing an "F" on your report card to an "A":...it turns into a "B" just as easily...don't get greedy.

I agree, clearly this kid isn't that bright.

Ray G.
12-02-2005, 01:03 PM
What a little bitch.

t00lverine
12-02-2005, 01:05 PM
After having worked at Target for over a year and a half, I'd say don't try to steal form them. They do prosecute.

Actually, don't steal in general. Unless it's cable.

xyzzy
12-02-2005, 01:06 PM
"I will NEVER EVER DO THIS EVER AGAIN and I am once more terribly sorry," Baldino wrote. "Please let me go for I am terribly sorry!!! I'm only a kid! Help me out. I just want to go home. I did this not knowing of the serious penalty that lies behind it. Please! Please! Please!"

Pathetic.

Los
12-02-2005, 04:12 PM
What an Idiot. $4.99?!

C'mon...I would of loved to see his ass cry!

Beep Beep!
12-02-2005, 04:32 PM
This is why they have expensive stuff in a locked case that they take to the electronics dept register for you . . . how did this guy get access to secured merchandise long enough to put on his barcode, and how dumb did he think a Target employee was going to be??

I wonder how much stuff he got away with before he got greedy.

Marcdachamp
12-02-2005, 04:37 PM
What an idiot. At least adjust the price to something believable... $4.99? You'd have to be the worst cashier ever... and my friend (a cashier) took an off-color twenty because he's color-blind. :lol:

Brewtown Andy
12-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Baldino wrote a statement for police that begged them not to prosecute him, according to The Denver Post.

Baldino faces a felony charge of forgery and two misdemeanor counts of theft.Everyone knows what this makes the DA say, right?

"Oh, you're fucked now, kid."

Mister Mets
12-02-2005, 11:05 PM
The prosecutors shouldn't have settled.

Fucker's old enough to know that what he's doing is wrong.