PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know any good Online RPGs?

Roman Noodles
11-25-2005, 07:50 AM
Free please, i am so broke. I tried Runescape,but i got tired. Now I am doing this Adventure Quest thing which is fun but has a low bandwith (CAN'T HOLD TO MANY NON-PAYING MEMBERS). So any good ones to recommend?

Roman Noodles
11-25-2005, 08:08 AM
No one KNOWS ANY?m Why hasn't marvel come out with a MMORPG like in Runaways #1!!! Dc made on coming ou t in 2007!

deadboy
11-25-2005, 08:13 AM
You have low bandwidth(dial up)? So it has to be free and dial up friendly?

Roman Noodles
11-25-2005, 08:13 AM
You have low bandwidth(dial up)? So it has to be free and dial up friendly?

No I have Cable. I want it to be free caue I am cheap and Broke.

artimoff
11-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Guild Wars is the only one I know of that is free.

Merle, Son of Boobah
11-25-2005, 08:35 AM
yeah, id say guild wars

Roman Noodles
11-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Okay, i'll check it out.

Eeriest_Elk
11-25-2005, 09:16 AM
http://www.gameogre.com/demos.htm

Check out some of the free demos first off.

Asheron's Call (1 NOT TWO) is a low monthly cost (around $5.00)

City of Villains is one of the latest greatest out there.

Roman Noodles
11-25-2005, 09:18 AM
http://www.gameogre.com/demos.htm

Check out some of the free demos first off.

Asheron's Call (1 NOT TWO) is a low monthly cost (around $5.00)

City of Villains is one of the latest greatest out there.

Yeah, it's on my list.

Roman Noodles
11-25-2005, 01:15 PM
I have to BUY the game first. I am searching, i just wanted some tips. I am trying this game called "Rakion"

xyzzy
11-25-2005, 02:33 PM
How about Puzzle Pirates or Maple Story?

Roman Noodles
11-25-2005, 02:33 PM
How about Puzzle Pirates or Maple Story?

I'll check em out!

Jim.
11-25-2005, 03:58 PM
If it has to be free, it has to be Guild Wars, if you want to pay go World of Warcraft.

I play both.

WinterRose
11-25-2005, 07:42 PM
No one KNOWS ANY?m Why hasn't marvel come out with a MMORPG like in Runaways #1!!! Dc made on coming ou t in 2007!

Last time I heard about the development that Marvel was pursuing on an MMORPG, they were talking co-development with either Microsoft or Sega. Very likely there will be some legal wrangling as to who may actually have the rights to online exploitation of the Marvel Universe. But considering the project has only barely got started and is still in concept only stages, it will be at least 2008 or beyond before we see an actual working beta for a Marvel Universe game.

Both DC (Sony Online Entertainment) and Marvel have their work cut out for them as they're going to be working uphill from the start. Why you say?

City of Heroes at that point will be 5 years old and ready to scoop them with a City Of Heroes II (World of Heroes, maybe?) Both Marvel and DC are a little late to get on board the current crop of mmorpg's. Marvel was very likely thinking strategically when they filed their ill-considered and monopolistic lawsuits against NCSoft's City of Heroes. They had future competition to trip up. I'm not sure they counted on NCSoft turning it into a legal battle for Fair Use.

So, when both DC and Marvel's game come out, they will be up against some very well-entrenched competition. This is both good and bad. GOOD, cos long time users of CoH will be looking for a new thing cos they may be tired of Player Debt, and the patented City of Heroes Grind. BAD however cos NCSoft by that time, if they're using their time wisely, will be constantly tweaking, fine tuning, and getting first hand data on how an MMORPG Superhero game would and should work, and what people will or should expect. And that data puts them leaps and bounds ahead of the competition from the very start.

DC and Marvel also have a problem in that they'd be working against their own legacy. What's that mean? Okay. You've played X-Men Legends and Ultimate Spider-Man, and likely Marvel & DC games on game consoles and arcade machines all the way back to the old Questprobe games on the Commodore Vic20. Or even the Superman Game on the old Atari 2600. And you've played as any number of existing heroes. With me so far?

Now you get into Marvel Comics Online. And if you're a little kid, you're all: "Okay! I'm gonna be Wolverine!" At which point, you're gonna be really disappointed when you find out you need to make your OWN hero cos not EVERYONE can be Wolverine, so likely no one will be allowed to play in the existing Marvel stable characterizations. So no Iron Man. No Wolverine. No X-Men or Avengers. Not you. Same with DC. You can't be Batman. You can't be the Joker. You can't be Superman. Gatta make your own character sonny jim.

Gee, where can you already do that? I wonder. :roll:

I should think the only things Marvel Interactive could possibly offer an MMORPG player is a setting and a possible faction. IE: Getting in with mutants, or starting a hero group of your own. Enlisting with SHIELD. Earning an honorary Avenger status. Offering powers that are signature Marvel Creations that others really couldn't. Like the whole webslinging thing as opposed to flying, etc. Etc. If you can be villains from the get go, there's all manner of evil organizations you could faction with. IE: Hydra, The Hand, etc.

But aside from differences in setting and faction, how will Marvel, OR DC for that matter differentiate themselves from City of Heroes? A setting without tangible punishment for player death, as in World of Warcraft? That'd be what would draw me. Player Debt is what ultimately put me off of City of Heroes. It became work. Not fun. If there was a debt-less system in place at Marvel Online, I'd give it a shot.

DC & Marvel have their work cut out for em. Me? I'm still hoping Microsoft will pull their heads from their collective asses and develop Shadowrun as an MMORPG instead of an X-Box 360 Glorified online team shooter. Such a waste. You'd think people could learn from Sony's mistakes and make a decent Sci Fi mmorpg. M'still waiting and hoping...

Jim.
11-25-2005, 08:41 PM
The MMORPG for Marvel is going to be out in late '06 and is exclusive to Xbox 360.

Briomega
11-25-2005, 08:44 PM
The MMORPG for Marvel is going to be out in late '06 and is exclusive to Xbox 360.

I doubt that. If it were it would have to be fairly well into development by now and ready for beta testing by late spring to early summer and I haven't heard much about it since the original announcement to suggest it is. I'd say 2007 is more likely.