PDA

View Full Version : So, ASM 526... (possible spoilers, though not by me...)

Kefky
11-24-2005, 08:53 AM
By applying the ancient technique of "looking at the pretty pictures, and ignoring the dialogue", I actually enjoyed this.

And say what you will, but that ending was pretty freakin' hardcore.

TheKraken
11-24-2005, 10:47 AM
If by "hardcore" you mean "idiotic and most likely reversed by the end of this arc," I agree. Still not buying this shit, but since mayhemspider posted about this last week, I had to flip thru it yesterday...

SAVETHEB
11-24-2005, 11:45 AM
yeah, it was pretty hardcore. kind of made me feel empty inside like when this happend to xander

The Zevad
11-24-2005, 12:43 PM
yeah, it was pretty hardcore. kind of made me feel empty inside like when this happend to xander

I kinda hope (even though it will be briefly) Peter wears an eye patch. Stupid but it would be funny.

http://www.slayersproject.net/stakeyard/images/cast-xander_722.jpg

DeluxeVoltron
11-24-2005, 12:56 PM
ya i heard somethin about a new costume for peter. i think its gonna be the same one now with armpit webs and a spider eyepatch

S!
11-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Jeebus! Peter's eye. Oh shit!

Kefky
11-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Oh, so Hudlin riped off Buffy? That's amusing in quite a few ways. :lol:

Ryan Elliott
11-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Someone mind spoiling it for me?

FredC
11-24-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm waiting for the Trade. Is it worth buying so far?

Bervda
11-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Oh, so Hudlin riped off Buffy? That's amusing in quite a few ways. :lol:

Yeah, because that's the first time that a heroic character lost an eye in the history of fictional stories.

Kefky
11-24-2005, 01:42 PM
Yeah, because that's the first time that a heroic character lost an eye in the history of fictional stories.

Aw, c'mon! I'm making fun of Reginald Hudlin here! :mad:

Kefky
11-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Someone mind spoiling it for me?

Morlun ripped Spidey's eye out, 'n done ate it.

Ryan Elliott
11-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Morlun ripped Spidey's eye out, 'n done ate it.

Wow...

Too bad Peter's moniker isn't The Worm...

Flonk
11-24-2005, 01:55 PM

No. Hudlin's stuff has been total garbage. And PAD has 2 out of 3 good comics.

Agent Desmond
11-24-2005, 01:58 PM
if the Trade skips Reggie's chapters then yes.

Kefky
11-24-2005, 02:00 PM
The storyline as a whole isn't really worth it, but I tought the PAD issues were quite good, as long as you don't mind the fact that they had very little to do with the Other.

And I'd say this issue was worth buying for the good smackdown and the pretty art. It was a well-executed fight scene.

copypastepuke
11-24-2005, 02:27 PM
i hope peter talks to nick fury and is like, HOW DO YOU ACCESORIZE WITH THIS THING?

or some other eyepatch jokes.

copypastepuke
11-24-2005, 02:28 PM
oh oh, and do we even know what is going on with his sickness yet?

SAVETHEB
11-24-2005, 11:47 PM
oh oh, and do we even know what is going on with his sickness yet?
six issues in and not even the slightest hint

dion
11-25-2005, 02:32 AM

Sure.

Mike Haseloff
11-25-2005, 02:34 AM
If by "hardcore" you mean "idiotic and most likely reversed by the end of this arc,"...If it's going to be reversed, it's probably a little anti-climatic, but I'm not sure I can understand the extreme negativity here.

I don't know, maybe it's just not sinking in, or maybe I stopped caring about Spider-man. I think it's kinda cool.
Villains who actually DO something are interesting, and... wow. If it actually sticks, or serves as a story device, that's pretty impressive!

MIKE D
11-25-2005, 03:02 AM
On the whole, I thought Hudlin only maginally embasrassed himself with this run, which is actually a marked improvement over everything else I've read from him. But I don't really put all the onus on him here. He at least got to script an issue where something actually happened. I think it's pretty ridiculous of Marvel to pad (no pun intended) what is essentially a 4-5 issue arc by a single writer into a 12 issue, 3 book extravaganza, and not let the other two writers contribute on iota of plot mobility or importance to the proceedings. Not only has half the event gone by with no clear explanation of Peter's debilitating and life-destroying disease, but the whole concept of the Other, which I'm sure has something to do with the cocoon motif on the covers, won't even be introduced until the final third as well. It's like JMS is just keeping all the cool toys for himself, and letting two other writers fluff the trade size for him.

Kefky
11-25-2005, 05:16 AM
On the whole, I thought Hudlin only maginally embasrassed himself with this run, which is actually a marked improvement over everything else I've read from him. But I don't really put all the onus on him here. He at least got to script an issue where something actually happened. I think it's pretty ridiculous of Marvel to pad (no pun intended) what is essentially a 4-5 issue arc by a single writer into a 12 issue, 3 book extravaganza, and not let the other two writers contribute on iota of plot mobility or importance to the proceedings. Not only has half the event gone by with no clear explanation of Peter's debilitating and life-destroying disease, but the whole concept of the Other, which I'm sure has something to do with the cocoon motif on the covers, won't even be introduced until the final third as well. It's like JMS is just keeping all the cool toys for himself, and letting two other writers fluff the trade size for him.

I think it's better than forcing writers to do something they don't want. I still think it was the best decision to just let PAD start his own storyline, and get used to his cast instead of letting him go head-first into this.

As far as the Hudling issues go... I dunno, I didn't think they were that bad pacing-wise, though the writing's a different matter, obviously. In his issues, Peter tried to find a cure for his disease, failed, grieved, learned to deal with it, then faced his destiny and fought Morlun. I've seen much worse decompression than that.

CARSON
11-25-2005, 06:58 PM
six issues in and not even the slightest hint
Maybe its just me but I tohught we learned abot his sickness in the Amazing Spider-man issue just before the Other started. Peter almost blew up, Iron man saved him and then, when he was recovering, ran tests and said the radiation in his blood was now killing him. Iron Man said we can run some more tests and then it said "to be continued in the other". I assumed that the test in the Other was the previously mentioned "more tests".

CARSON
11-25-2005, 07:03 PM
o, and does anyone else realy get a feeling that this will all end with a second clone? Then we can have the pirate version of Peter Parker taking pictures of Ben Reilly II as spider-man? The one eye could help with his photograph taking.

jza1218
11-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Whats the big deal about losing an eye if you're going to die anyway.

Your Pal, Carl
11-25-2005, 07:44 PM
o, and does anyone else realy get a feeling that this will all end with a second clone? Then we can have the pirate version of Peter Parker taking pictures of Ben Reilly II as spider-man? The one eye could help with his photograph taking.
Yes.

jza1218
11-25-2005, 07:45 PM

I just think that this will end with Peter realizing that he was the clone and that his cells are just degenerating like all the other clones did.

Your Pal, Carl
11-25-2005, 07:48 PM
I just think that this will end with Peter realizing that he was the clone and that his cells are just degenerating like all the other clones did.
Which begs the question, where's the original Peter?

jza1218
11-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Didn't they show the bones in the smokestack at the end of the Clone Saga?

Your Pal, Carl
11-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Didn't they show the bones in the smokestack at the end of the Clone Saga?
No fucking clue as the Clone saga is what got me to stop reading Spidey in the first place. But clone saga part II has been the working theory in my LCS since part 1 hit the stands. It will be interesting to see how this is handled.

Hypester23
11-25-2005, 09:12 PM
No fucking clue as the Clone saga is what got me to stop reading Spidey in the first place. But clone saga part II has been the working theory in my LCS since part 1 hit the stands. It will be interesting to see how this is handled.

Could be cool to close out the Clone Saga once and for all. I never read the original Clone Saga, but I read that massive online guide to it. Actually a pretty cool concept until it became driven solely by marketing.

If this story closes it out with a bang and puts it away for good, I'll be happy.