PDA

View Full Version : Help me with speculation on Marvel's HCs

Alex K.
11-21-2005, 06:49 AM
So Marvels got these new "Premiere Edition" HC's, which at first I hated, being used to and a big fan of the oversized 12-issue jobs with the nice extras. But recently I'm considering doing the majority of my reading/collecting in the collected format, and I prefer HC to TPB whenever the option is available, so I'm thinking about getting into the Premiere Eds. sine they come out earlier and more frequently than the oversized ones. So the virtue of that decision aside, my question is this:

Do you guys think Marvel will be putting out oversized HCs of the books they already made into PEs? For example, a HC collecting the entire Millar Wolverine run even though they already have 2 PEs, or one collecting the Breakout and Sentry arcs of New Avengers?

My gut answer is "yes", but at the same time they didn't release a PE of either Astonishing X-Men arc, which is easily on par with the above in terms of popularity, making me think that they are saving the HC treatment for one oversized collection of the complete run. If this were the case, wouldn't Marvel have forgone the Wolverine and NA PEs if they were planning on doing oversized editions?

I know this sounds like overthinking, but I'm conflicted. I'd hate to get the PEs if the nicer oversized editions are down the road, but I also don't want to wait on getting a story when I'm not even sure an oversized is going to come out.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of PEs that are available and/or have been solicited? I tried to google it but come up with nothing.

LenNWallace
11-21-2005, 06:52 AM
Oh, I'm pretty much certain of it. The only premiere edition HC's I'm not positive of getting the upgrade would be Brubaker's Cap, (Although god willing, it will) Black Panther, and all those different mini-series. (Phoenix Endsong, Shanna, etc)

justjeffery
11-21-2005, 06:56 AM
They havent announced if they are or arent.

Allen Y
11-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Do you guys think Marvel will be putting out oversized HCs of the books they already made into PEs? For example, a HC collecting the entire Millar Wolverine run even though they already have 2 PEs, or one collecting the Breakout and Sentry arcs of New Avengers?
The WOLVERINE HC was confirmed by Millar, I'm sure. Members of the dept. won't acknowledge it because they want to sell current product. Also, recall that the premiere HCs have a limited print run.

My gut answer is "yes", but at the same time they didn't release a PE of either Astonishing X-Men arc, which is easily on par with the above in terms of popularity, making me think that they are saving the HC treatment for one oversized collection of the complete run. If this were the case, wouldn't Marvel have forgone the Wolverine and NA PEs if they were planning on doing oversized editions?
The first ASTONISHING softcover arrived before the Premiere HC format debuted. Considering how well it sold, a premiere HC wouldn't have done much.

I know this sounds like overthinking, but I'm conflicted. I'd hate to get the PEs if the nicer oversized editions are down the road, but I also don't want to wait on getting a story when I'm not even sure an oversized is going to come out.
You might want to consider buying, say, two premiere HCs and then selling them off before the oversized HC arrives. You might lose out on a dollar or three, but you won't have to wait as long to read the story.

Allen

Alex K.
11-21-2005, 07:03 AM
They havent announced if they are or arent.

Well no, there wouldn't be much point in speculating if they made an announcement about it. I'm asking you guys what you think they might do. Are the Premiere Editions a cash grab for HC consumer revenue in adanvce of oversized release, or a replacement in part for the oversized which will now be given to a more particular selection of books?

LenNWallace
11-21-2005, 07:07 AM
I'm holding out hope for a big ass Young Avengers collection.

bachman
11-21-2005, 07:07 AM
If the two 6 part stories are one big story, or connected in any way (wolverine, captain america, MK spidey), then yes, there will defintely be one hardcover collecting the stories. even though there are already two smaller hardcovers.

other examples include batman: hush, and most likely superman: for tomorrow.

Allen Y
11-21-2005, 07:09 AM
I'm holding out hope for a big ass Young Avengers collection.
I'm looking to buy that as well, though it's incredibly far off.

Allen

LenNWallace
11-21-2005, 07:13 AM
I'm looking to buy that as well, though it's incredibly far off.

Allen
God, i know... Issue 10 won't come 'til Febuary.

cmoney
11-21-2005, 09:26 AM
My take on it is that I will wait for oversize HCs, and if they never come, I'll just buy the softcovers. That's my strategy, I know it doesn't really help you, though. :) I prefer HCs, but I just really don't like the slim Premiere Edition ones.

Like you, my guess is that such things as Millar's Wolverine run and New Avengers will be given the oversize treatment, but who can tell? Does this question get asked much over on the Quesada board where they have a whole section dedicated to asking the trade people questions?

Since I have all the Ultimate stuff in oversize HC, something that's really been on my mind of late is how stuff like the Ultimate Gah Lak Tus trilogy and Ultimate Hulk and Wolverine will be collected (not to mention the Ultimate Annuals). Will they be inserted chronologically into the titles they make sense in like Ultimate Six and Ultimate War? Will there be a separate Ultimate Gah Lak Tus book? Will it not get the HC treatment at all? And such...

BWC Boston
11-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Those Premier Editions suck.

No (or very few) extras, ugly gold foil covers, and a ridiculous price.

Michael John Wheeler
11-21-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm pretty sure they will release them as bigger ones once it's all over. I heard that the silly little ones are limited in press, while Marvel has done a good job of keeping the bigger ones in stock. My guess is that they want to get to that HC money fast, and don't want to wait a year between volumes.

nihilance
11-21-2005, 12:24 PM
I love hardcovers...but hate them if they only have 8 or fewer issues in them. They are just too thin to have those thick covers then and don't tend to be as durable.