PDA

View Full Version : So I hung around Borders and read about 3/4 of Watchmen today

Angel of Distraction
11-20-2005, 03:39 PM
As well as one issue of Cerberus, the first two issues of Fables, and some assorted other stuff. Turns out the best way to partake of acclaimed comics you can not afford is to camp out and read them. Cerberus was funny, Fables, from what I can tell, is over-rated and seems to be a fairly common murder mystery with an imaginative background. It never felt like they incorporated the setting into the story, so it wound up being a police procedural with a slightly fanciful coat of paint.

As for Watchmen, other engagements forced me to cut it short just before the prison break. It was definitely interesting, and I loved the way it didn't try to do much over-analyzing of the more shocking moral choices of the characters. I see the impact it has had on comics. However, it isn't, quality-wise, the end-all be-all of comics that people make it out to be. I'll have to camp out and finish it soon, but I don't foresee having any desire to own it or read it again. It's slow and ponderous in many scenes, making me wish for a Skip Scene button.

The Human Target
11-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Fables gets a lot better.

I'm not trying to convince you, but abjectively the first arc is by far the weakest.

AAlgar
11-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Stop the presses, Auron isn't impressed by things that other people love!

skinnyrunaway
11-20-2005, 03:43 PM

I'm not trying to convince you, but abjectively the first arc is by far the weakest.

basically every arc ups the ante and gets better and better. also, medinas art was pretty lifeless. buckingham rocks in animal farm.

Angel of Distraction
11-20-2005, 03:44 PM

My only real problem was that the murder msytery felt tacked on to the fantasy and vice versa. I may try another arc sometime.

Smokinblues
11-20-2005, 03:44 PM

who couldn't see that comin?

Jonny Z
11-20-2005, 03:45 PM
i hate bookstores that let you read their merchandise without buying... then if i wanna buy one of those books, i gotta buy a copy with your greasy fingerprints all over them :yuck:

Angel of Distraction
11-20-2005, 03:46 PM

I think, if you will abandon your need for sarcasm, you notice I was indeed impressed by both Watchmen and Cerberus, simply not as impressed. I don't think I am the only one who has expressed less that complete rapture with Watchmen.

Pat Loika
who couldn't see that comin?

More importantly...well, click. (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/member.php?u=308)

P.

Angel of Distraction
i hate bookstores that let you read their merchandise without buying... then if i wanna buy one of those books, i gotta buy a copy with your greasy fingerprints all over them :yuck:

Well, yes, that factors into it. Most likely many people already had laid theirs over the places I put mine. Consider it a map of their movement.

jason hissong
11-20-2005, 03:51 PM
More importantly...well, click. (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/member.php?u=308)

P.

I heart you.

-jason

Dread Pirate Wren
11-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Fables ....seems to be a fairly common murder mystery with an imaginative background. It never felt like they incorporated the setting into the story, so it wound up being a police procedural with a slightly fanciful coat of paint.

We actually agree on something. Better pop down to hell to make certain the furnaces are still on, be right back.

*takes elevator*

*girl from Ipanema plays for a little bit*

*comes back*

Nope, everything appears to be in working order. Just a weird coincidence. Nah, I've perused through pretty well the whole series and, to me, it just never fills out that really rich potential. I mean, it's a great idea, and a lot of the art is really boss...but, I feel like we STILL haven't gotten there...and it's a little old not to have hit it's stride yet.

Kensington
11-20-2005, 03:53 PM
...Turns out the best way to partake of acclaimed comics you can not afford is to camp out and read them...I'll have to camp out and finish it soon, but I don't foresee having any desire to own it or read it again. Try your local library. You'd be amazed at how many comics you can find there. Watchmen should be a staple. By the way, I didn't truly appreciate it until I'd read it a second time. You can't rush through it. You need time to sit with it.

Angel of Distraction
11-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Try your local library. You'd be amazed at how many comics you can find there. Watchmen should be a staple. By the way, I didn't truly appreciate it until I'd read it a second time. You can't rush through it. You need time to sit with it.

The only reason I didn't finish it is because I went back to look over parts.

And it is a bitch to convince my library to order that stuff. They market all graphic novels as juvenile, so I would essentially have to lie and I can only imagine the result. I can see it now: the incompetence of the local library, in the form of an inability to differentiate between age levels, causes an uproar resulting in them never ordering comics again.

I did read both DKs and Year One from there.

Agent Desmond
11-20-2005, 03:58 PM
So... were you impressed enough to actually buy the books from the bookstore? Or are you going to go back and finish reading the series :mistrust:

Angel of Distraction
11-20-2005, 03:59 PM

We actually agree on something. Better pop down to hell to make certain the furnaces are still on, be right back.

*takes elevator*

*girl from Ipanema plays for a little bit*

*comes back*

Nope, everything appears to be in working order. Just a weird coincidence. Nah, I've perused through pretty well the whole series and, to me, it just never fills out that really rich potential. I mean, it's a great idea, and a lot of the art is really boss...but, I feel like we STILL haven't gotten there...and it's a little old not to have hit it's stride yet.

HA!

Either way I'll be enjoying or not enjoying it for free. The girl that Prince Charming bedded almost made it worth it. Even animated she was hot. :D

Angel of Distraction
11-20-2005, 04:00 PM
So... were you impressed enough to actually buy the books from the bookstore? Or are you going to go back and finish reading the series :mistrust:

Go back and finish reading. I'm a bad person. :twisted:

Angel of Distraction
11-20-2005, 04:01 PM

P.

This applies to EVERYTHING we post on here, with rare exceptions.

Ashton
11-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Watchmen is something you should eventually buy though. its a classic.

Angel of Distraction
11-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Watchmen is something you should eventually buy though. its a classic.

Twenty bucks for something I like but don't love is just too steep right now. Especially for a flimsy paperback. I know, it's the comic, the one everyone gushes over, but, oh well.

Mister Mets
11-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Watchmen's conclusion may change your mind.

Angel of Distraction
11-20-2005, 05:56 PM

Someone stops the soviets but kills millions in the process? I heard that much but I don't know anything else.

Shane W
11-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Twenty bucks for something I like but don't love is just too steep right now. Especially for a flimsy paperback. I know, it's the comic, the one everyone gushes over, but, oh well.

So you're okay with stealing then?

Taxman
11-20-2005, 06:02 PM
Turns out the best way to partake of acclaimed comics you can not afford is to camp out and read them. Oh, I can assure you with much certainty, John Byrne does not approve of this.

Angel of Distraction
11-20-2005, 06:09 PM
So you're okay with stealing then?

Is it stealing if they allow you chairs and benches for the express purpose of reading? If they walk right by college students using textbooks they do not plan to buy for hours on end?

Angel of Distraction
11-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Oh, I can assure you with much certainty, John Byrne does not approve of this unless it isn't his comics.

Fixed.

And I don't much approve of John Byrne, so it all balances out.

Kefky
11-20-2005, 06:16 PM

I actually hated the watchmen ending, while I loved the first 11 issues... But never mind. :scared:

Josh!
11-20-2005, 06:16 PM
I discovered a lot of books I wouldn't even give a chance killing time in Barnes and Nobles. I now buy Fables in trades and Y serialized. I want to get a copy of Wanted at some point too. I don't buy in B&N, not when I get a discount at a comic shop.

I think there might be a parallel with the napster arguments-- you can enjoy the material for free (but can't take it with you), but it might turn you on to a lot of other stuff and cause you to buy more comics.

Angel of Distraction
11-20-2005, 06:20 PM
I want to get a copy of Wanted

WHY? It's ridiculous and tops itself off with an insult to the readers.

Kirblar
11-20-2005, 06:41 PM
I tried reading fables and couldn't. Absolutely hated it.

And part 12 of watchmen takes all the disparate plot threads, makes them all come together, then leaves them .. you'll see :D. Its good shit.

TIP
11-20-2005, 06:43 PM
As well as one issue of Cerberus, the first two issues of Fables, and some assorted other stuff. Turns out the best way to partake of acclaimed comics you can not afford is to camp out and read them. Cerberus was funny,

Cerebus is the anthropomorphic aardvark.
Cerberus is the three-headed dog that guards the gates of Hell (although the aardvark's name was actually supposed to be CERBERUS originally...but Deni spelled it wrong and the rest is history).

Fables, from what I can tell, is over-rated and seems to be a fairly common murder mystery with an imaginative background. It never felt like they incorporated the setting into the story, so it wound up being a police procedural with a slightly fanciful coat of paint.

It gets increasingly better.

As for Watchmen, other engagements forced me to cut it short just before the prison break. It was definitely interesting, and I loved the way it didn't try to do much over-analyzing of the more shocking moral choices of the characters. I see the impact it has had on comics. However, it isn't, quality-wise, the end-all be-all of comics that people make it out to be. I'll have to camp out and finish it soon, but I don't foresee having any desire to own it or read it again. It's slow and ponderous in many scenes, making me wish for a Skip Scene button.

To each their own.

T

Gavin
11-20-2005, 06:47 PM
As well as one issue of Cerberus, the first two issues of Fables, and some assorted other stuff. Turns out the best way to partake of acclaimed comics you can not afford is to camp out and read them. Cerberus was funny, Fables, from what I can tell, is over-rated and seems to be a fairly common murder mystery with an imaginative background. It never felt like they incorporated the setting into the story, so it wound up being a police procedural with a slightly fanciful coat of paint.

I read a lot of comics this way. I bought a bunch of them later, but I've done this same thing. My wife and I used to go to Barnes and Noble and sit and read every Friday or Saturday while in college. We saved a lot of money that way.

Jastermereel
11-20-2005, 07:19 PM
I read a lot of comics this way. I bought a bunch of them later, but I've done this same thing. My wife and I used to go to Barnes and Noble and sit and read every Friday or Saturday while in college. We saved a lot of money that way.
Similarly so here. I'd never be tracking down the ongoing trades of a bunch of series I follow if it weren't for questionable methods of getting interested in them.

Angel of Distraction
11-24-2005, 11:15 AM
I tried reading fables and couldn't. Absolutely hated it.

And part 12 of watchmen takes all the disparate plot threads, makes them all come together, then leaves them .. you'll see :D. Its good shit.

The story was not where it faltered, but rather the pacing. I read some more of it the other day, up until the end of the prison break issue, and now that it has picked up a bit I enjoy it much more thoroughly.

Taxman
11-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Watchmen is teh suck.Sweeet! :p

Angel of Distraction
11-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Sweeet! :p

Is that something I actually said? Because Lemming had not read Watchmen.

Fat Randy
11-24-2005, 11:19 AM
You just read the comics without buying them? THAT FUCKING STEALING!!!!!!!!!!111. your taking money away from the creators of the comics and from the book store itself.

Angel of Distraction
11-24-2005, 11:25 AM
You just read the comics without buying them? THAT FUCKING STEALING!!!!!!!!!!111. your taking money away from the creators of the comics and from the book store itself.

Oh, whine. They provide little sitting areas for you to read and invite you to do so. If they complain it is like waving a carrot in front of a horse then whining when he eats it.

Taxman
11-24-2005, 11:27 AM
You just read the comics without buying them? THAT FUCKING STEALING!!!!!!!!!!111. your taking money away from the creators of the comics and from the book store itself.I think Byrne Stealing is pretty much part of the business model for Borders and Barnes & Noble.

Fat Randy
11-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Oh, whine. They provide little sitting areas for you to read and invite you to do so. If they complain it is like waving a carrot in front of a horse then whining when he eats it.

Your still stealing from the creators. The writers and artist of these book aren't the one putting out the chairs and "inviting" you to read thier books for free

Angel of Distraction
11-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Your still stealing from the creators. The writers and artist of these book aren't the one putting out the chairs and "inviting" you to read thier books for free

By that definition, by reading the copy Taxy sent me of Powers Vol 1, with no intention of purchase, I am stealing from Bendis. If I check Bone vol 2 out from the library and never buy my own copy, I am stealing from Jeff Smith. It isn't like I made photocopies of it, and it certainly isn't like downloading and thus keeping a movie off online. I read it and put it back because I can not afford twenty dollars on something I am not guaranteed to like (such as a continuation of a series I am already reading) at this time. These writers have already made their sales to the bookstore. The bookstore allows me to read the copy they got from the companies that got it from the writers and artists.

Angel of Distraction
11-24-2005, 11:37 AM
I think Byrne Stealing is pretty much part of the business model for Borders and Barnes & Noble.

Exactly. I bought Blankets, a book on vikings, and too much other stuff to count after reading it in one of those stores.

Fat Randy
11-24-2005, 11:48 AM
By that definition, by reading the copy Taxy sent me of Powers Vol 1, with no intention of purchase, I am stealing from Bendis. If I check Bone vol 2 out from the library and never buy my own copy, I am stealing from Jeff Smith. It isn't like I made photocopies of it, and it certainly isn't like downloading and thus keeping a movie off online. I read it and put it back because I can not afford twenty dollars on something I am not guaranteed to like (such as a continuation of a series I am already reading) at this time. These writers have already made their sales to the bookstore. The bookstore allows me to read the copy they got from the companies that got it from the writers and artists.

So your saying it's ok to read books that your not going to buy cause your 1) poor 2) put it back on the racks so others may enjoy it. But your saying it's not ok for me to DL movies or comics cause 1) I don't want to spend 10 bucks on a movie or 3 on one comic or 200 plus for a full of comics that i want to check out but might not like 2) I will just delete the files after i'm done with them and don't plan on making copies to sell or hand out.

your stories don't match up with you logic

RichJohnston
11-24-2005, 02:40 PM

Watch the sugar trail. The way pages flow from last panel to first. The symmetry. The beath of the neon light, panel to panel. The faces with eye injury motifs. The use of clocks. Watch what happens in the backgrounds of scenes that seem all about foreground.

And then watch when the world ends.

And realise that the answer to the question posed throughout the book, who watches the watchmen, is you. And that we all have the power to do what Doctor Manhattan does when reading a comic book. Start where we want, go back, go forward, see the reality as we choose to.

That's why Watchmen is an astounding book. Not the way it treats superheroes. But the way it treats a story told in comic book form.

Merle, Son of Boobah
11-24-2005, 02:44 PM
These writers have already made their sales to the bookstore. The bookstore allows me to read the copy they got from the companies that got it from the writers and artists.

Have you worked at a bookstore or are you pulling stuff out of the air?

Agent Desmond
11-24-2005, 02:50 PM
I just want to say, that I hate when people read whole books in the bookstore. Some of us want to buy those books that you're reading (and sometimes damaging the spines to). Plus I'm sure that the employees love people who do that and don't spend money.

ERNIE_E
11-24-2005, 05:20 PM
For those of you want to learn some more about Fables, and Bill Willingham. Read this 4-page Interview

http://www.buzzscope.com/features.php?id=927 (http://www.buzzscope.com/features.php?id=927)

Adam Witt
11-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Watch the sugar trail. The way pages flow from last panel to first. The symmetry. The beath of the neon light, panel to panel. The faces with eye injury motifs. The use of clocks. Watch what happens in the backgrounds of scenes that seem all about foreground.

And realise that the answer to the question posed throughout the book, who watches the watchmen, is you. And that we all have the power to do what Doctor Manhattan does when reading a comic book. Start where we want, go back, go forward, see the reality as we choose to.

That's why Watchmen is an astounding book. Not the way it treats superheroes. But the way it treats a story told in comic book form.

You have become my favorite poster. :grope:

Auron, read Watchmen through a second or even third time. I felt the same way you did after the first read-through, but after the second, I never looked at the book the same way again. It is a work of art.

Flonk
11-24-2005, 10:41 PM

Wow. I never thought of it that way.

Now I gotta go read Watchmen again.

Chingòn
11-25-2005, 01:06 AM

yea, bravo. i too, am going to have to flonk it.

Angel of Distraction
11-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Have you worked at a bookstore or are you pulling stuff out of the air?

I talk to lots of the workers about this. I got it down.

TIP
11-26-2005, 12:12 PM

Well put, RJ.
Well put.
:smile:

T
(can we call you Gutter Man?)

sonnylarue
11-26-2005, 12:16 PM
it is impossible for new watchmen readers to apreciate the uniqueness of the book in format, art, and story , given the 20 years of quality stories that have followed.

trust us, it's THAT GOOD

Angel of Distraction
11-26-2005, 12:17 PM
it is impossible for new watchmen readers to apreciate the uniqueness of the book in format, art, and story , given the 20 years of quality stories that have followed.

trust us, it's THAT GOOD

I do appreciate the uniqueness. I just don't think it's a ten out of ten. A solid 9 from me.

DeleriumTremens
11-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Two Points
1. I completely agree with Auron about Watchmen. It's a good book but there has been way too much Moore worship over the years.
2. While some of you may not like the fact that Borders, and Barnes and Noble allows people to read books while there, its a business model that has made them both a lot of money. The fact that I can go in there and read part of a book before I'm forced to purchase it has lead me to buy a lot more than I would have otherwise, and there are a ton of people like me out there that have done the same thing. So while you may not like me leafing through the book try going to one of those book stores where they threaten to kick you out if you spend a minute looking through a potential purchase and tell me which store your more likely to buy from.

Blandy vs Terrorism
11-26-2005, 01:04 PM

P.
:buys Pat a drink:

Angel of Distraction
11-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Two Points
1. I completely agree with Auron about Watchmen. It's a good book but there has been way too much Moore worship over the years.
2. While some of you may not like the fact that Borders, and Barnes and Noble allows people to read books while there, its a business model that has made them both a lot of money. The fact that I can go in there and read part of a book before I'm forced to purchase it has lead me to buy a lot more than I would have otherwise, and there are a ton of people like me out there that have done the same thing. So while you may not like me leafing through the book try going to one of those book stores where they threaten to kick you out if you spend a minute looking through a potential purchase and tell me which store your more likely to buy from.

Salud.

Merle, Son of Boobah
11-26-2005, 01:43 PM
I talk to lots of the workers about this. I got it down.

Doesnt sound like it.

Angel of Distraction
11-26-2005, 02:01 PM
Doesnt sound like it.

Refer to the fact that these places use this as a business practice. Notevery bookstore is the same.

Blandy vs Terrorism
03-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Turns out the best way to partake of acclaimed comics you can not afford is to camp out and read them.
Or you could quit hanging out at Borders all day and look for a job. :D

Angel of Distraction
03-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Or you could quit hanging out at Borders all day and look for a job. :D

Nah, that sounds like work.

Blandy vs Terrorism
03-24-2006, 08:03 PM

trust us, it's THAT GOOD
When reading older stuff like that, I try to put myself in the mindset of the time it came out and forget about what came since. So while I only first read it about 6 years ago, it still blew my mind.

Angel of Distraction
03-24-2006, 08:08 PM
When reading older stuff like that, I try to put myself in the mindset of the time it came out and forget about what came since. So while I only first read it about 6 years ago, it still blew my mind.

I tried that as well, and I think the thing that knocked it down a point for me was what seemed like the incredible length. I appreciated the point, but less extended yak yak could have been used to sell it, I guess. At points I was thinking "Shit. And they say bendis is long-winded. Is this sequence ever gonna end?"

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
03-24-2006, 08:21 PM
However, it isn't, quality-wise, the end-all be-all of comics that people make it out to be. I'll have to camp out and finish it soon, but I don't foresee having any desire to own it or read it again. It's slow and ponderous in many scenes, making me wish for a Skip Scene button.

This is exactly how I felt about it when I read it the first time, 20 years ago.

Angel of Distraction
03-24-2006, 08:25 PM
This is exactly how I felt about it when I read it the first time, 20 years ago.

And now?

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
03-24-2006, 08:29 PM
I read it again like 2 years ago, it was just as slow, and had even less impact, probably due to the cold war being so far behind us now.

Angel of Distraction
03-24-2006, 08:35 PM
I read it again like 2 years ago, it was just as slow, and had even less impact, probably due to the cold war being so far behind us now.

Get your weapons raised, the anti-dissenting-opinion-on-Watchmen crowd is closing in on us.:D

Akira
03-24-2006, 09:01 PM

Seriously? I just bought the first arc and really dug it. The concpet that it gets a lot better makes my wallet hurt ;-)

WinstonWolf
03-24-2006, 09:08 PM
I just took Watchmen out from the library last month. I'm about up to the second chapter. So far, I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Especially Rorsarch, he rules. And reading from a Bookstore is NOT stealing. I hate when people say that. I do that all the time. Is reading a magazine while you're waiting on line, sometimes a long line, and not buying it stealing? Is taking something out from a library, reading it, returning it, but not buying the book or item stealing? Is recording an album on a tape you took out, or somebody lent you, stealing? Come on. I HAVE been asked to not read something in a store a few times, and that's fine by me. I've gotten in trouble for that a few times. If the owner doesn't want you to look or read, you have to respect that. If they don't care, it's fine. There are a LOT of things that I have done that I feel a great deal of shame and remorse for, but reading something in a store without purchasing it is not on the list.