PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this BMW?!

CarrieLavon
11-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Guys and gals I'd really like your help with this decision :)

Should I buy this BMW?
Pictures of the car: http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail.html?x_dealer_id=AAFkD&vinNum=4USCH9347YLF84901 (http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail.html?x_dealer_id=AAFkD&vinNum=4USCH9347YLF84901)
The dealer price on it was: $19,900
I talked them down to: 14,750 (with my good looks and charm.. j/k)
At a payment a month at $199.00 per month
NADA reports says itís worth about 19,200
Carfax quoted: 17,500

So basically I can buy it tomorrow at 14,750 with payments at $199 per month. Iím putting $5,000 down on it.
I think thatís a really good deal, am I wrong?

I really like it but I donít know much about if Iím getting a good deal or not. It has 49,673 miles on it. Is that too high and itís a year 2000. Is that too old? It looks like new to me. I donít think itís going to have that older car look to it anytime soon. I was prepared to go to the dealer to buy a newer 2003+ sporty car anywhere between 14,000-19,000. I was looking at the 2005 Mazda Miataís for about 19,000. However, this BWM presented itself and now I have to decide. I may go in to buy it tomorrow. And, Iím battling with the pros and cons of it. I love the car itself. But, it is worth it to hold off and pay more for a newer less cooler car like a Miata? I love the Miataís too, but as I saidÖ I could have a BMW.. is it worth it? Please give me your honest opinion.

Hereís itís stats:

2000 BMW Z3 ROADSTER Convertible
6 Cyl. 2.5 Fuel Injection (however, carfax reports says itís actually a 2.3, the dealer wrote 2.5 on the info sheet)
Excellent condition
With Warrenty
Mileage: 49,673
Color: Blue (midnight Blue)
Interior: Beige leather
Transmission: 5 speed Manual
V.I.N: 4USCH9347YLF84901
Stock #: F1108B

Power steering
Power Door locks
Power Breaks
Power Windows
AM/FM stereo radio with CD player
Trip Odometer
Side Impact Airbags
Heated Seats
Tachometer
Front Bucket Seats
Leather wrap steering wheel

Alloy Wheels
Pirelli tires
Carpeting
Courtesy lights
Traction control
Wood trim interior
Air conditioning
Dual Airbags
Security system
Interval wipers
Power outside mirrors
Anti-lock breaking system
Power Convertible top
Dual Power seats
Cruise control
Leather

Thanks for any input that you may have for me! :D

Oh ya, and alos, I'm not limited to any one type of sports car. I really like the tiny ones, but if you know of any cars in my price range that I could get, let me know! :)

CraigM
11-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Damn that looks good.

I know nothing about cars really, but it looks good. However, I would think getting the newer car for the same price would be your best bet.

Craig

Agent Desmond
11-19-2005, 05:43 PM
All signs point to yes. My former stepfather has a BMW Roadster and I LOVE it. Granted I don't know that much about cars, but I have fun driving it around. Vroom vroom. And it sounds like a fine deal to me

RyanP
11-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Those cars are fun. My mom bought one for my sister when she graduated from college (I dropped out, so i got no new car, or house) I loved taking rides with her in it. It's hard to tell about a car on the net though. Can you go and check it out in person? If so that'd be great. If not, it's a gamble, no matter what the seller says.

Pat Loika
11-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Go for it. It looks like a good deal.

P.

CarrieLavon
11-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Those cars are fun. My mom bought one for my sister when she graduated from college (I dropped out, so i got no new car, or house) I loved taking rides with her in it. It's hard to tell about a car on the net though. Can you go and check it out in person? If so that'd be great. If not, it's a gamble, no matter what the seller says.

Oh, I already went to the dealer and spent about 2 hours with it. I drove it only for 10 minutes but it was sweet. The car is definitely nice.
I can't find anything wrong with it.
I just gave you the linkto it online so everyone here could view it.

the dealers were trying so hard to get me to buy it today! I think that's why the price got down so low for me :) I told them I'd return tomorrow. They wanted me to take it home tonight to just test it out and return it tomorrow if I didn't wan tit. I told them no. Only because tomorrow I'd feel obligated to buy it.

I really would like it though... but I'm still looking for advice on here first :)

Donal DeLay
11-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Generally, a car should have 12,000 miles on it during one year, so 49,000 is about right.

Personally, I think it's an ugly car, almost as ridiculous as the Miata, but you shouldn't care about my opinion. I just don't like small cars like those. They don't have a function other than to look cute. It's whether or not YOU like the car, and YOU said you like small sporty cars.

The BMW is MUCH more luxurious than the Miata, BUT don't just get the car BECAUSE it's BMW. Being that it's at 49,000 miles, you'll start to get general car problems that come with used cars and it's expensive to fix. You probably can't get it done under warranty, and you'll have to take it to specialty foreign shops.

kari
11-19-2005, 05:53 PM
YES! from one carrie to another kari.... :D you are getting a low milage, nice car. the only thing you need to do is to make sure if there are any problems you will be able to find a shop that will have parts you need for your car. BMW's are special cars that need special parts, so that may cost some extra dough. BMW's have a solid motor in them ( could also cost some extra moolah in speeding tickets ;-) )
any hoo I say buy it, its a hell of a deal.

kari
11-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Generally, a car should have 12,000 miles on it during one year, so 49,000 is about right.

Personally, I think it's an ugly car, almost as ridiculous as the Miata, but you shouldn't care about my opinion. I just don't like small cars like those. They don't have a function other than to look cute. It's whether or not YOU like the car, and YOU said you like small sporty cars.

The BMW is MUCH more luxurious than the Miata, BUT don't just get the car BECAUSE it's BMW. Being that it's at 49,000 miles, you'll start to get general car problems that come with used cars and it's expensive to fix. You probably can't get it done under warranty, and you'll have to take it to specialty foreign shops.
:-x hey! quit reading my mind. :lol:

Agent Desmond
11-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Don't forget... if you buy it and you like it... remember the names of those who said yes, so that you give out rides for gas money

RyanP
11-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Oh, I already went to the dealer and spent about 2 hours with it. I drove it only for 10 minutes but it was sweet. The car is definitely nice.
I can't find anything wrong with it.
I just gave you the linkto it online so everyone here could view it.

the dealers were trying so hard to get me to buy it today! I think that's why the price got down so low for me :) I told them I'd return tomorrow. They wanted me to take it home tonight to just test it out and return it tomorrow if I didn't wan tit. I told them no. Only because tomorrow I'd feel obligated to buy it.

I really would like it though... but I'm still looking for advice on here first :)

All car bullshit aside? If you like it? Then go for it. You live once, and more people will notice you living in a BMW. If you can afford it, which it sounds like you can easily, then buy the sucker. It's the perfect girl car, not so much for the fella's, but the ladies look great in it. My sister had hers for I think 2 years and I don't think she had any problems with hers, ofcourse that was back in 2001-2003.

Thudpucker
11-19-2005, 06:01 PM
An awsome car dirt cheap? Can't beat that.

ERNIE_E
11-19-2005, 06:03 PM
The car looks golden. You can always bring a mechanic with you to check it out mechanically to see what kind of money you'll be putting into it over the next year or so but for a 2001 to have only 49K miles on it? I'd say that's pretty good. Unfortunately it's probably more city mileage but if it is mostly highway, even better. That's less wear and tear.

I don't know where you live either, Virginia is it? Does it snow much there? Do they salt the roads? I'm from the midwest and by the time a car has 4 years here with all the salt they use, it's fast on its way down, but I am thinking VA doesn't get as much snow/salt treatment.

Just have some money on the side for anything that goes wrong. Have fun if you buy and take some hot pictures with you on the hood! I kid, I kid... sorta ;)

wabi-sabi
11-19-2005, 06:12 PM
That thing looks freaking sweet. I love that model.

B3NN3TT
11-20-2005, 04:28 AM
I wouldn't pay that much for a 2.5; hold out fot the 3-liter.

You pay BMW prices, you want "the ultimate driving machine"; the 2.5 Z3 is "a cute driving machine"...

Chris McCarver
11-20-2005, 04:32 AM
A friend of mine's paying just a little more a month for a brand new Chevy Cobalt. Get the Beemer, Carrie.

The power of Bavaria compels you.

james michael
11-20-2005, 04:34 AM

do you have a little penis?

arthurloewenkamp
11-20-2005, 07:26 AM
when you do, we have to go for a ride

edit, i got bloodyheckowned, I meant when she got the car

Alex(sadly)Maleev
11-20-2005, 07:27 AM
As a BMW owner I cannot recommend another car. Ever.
But beemer have their issues, specially after warranty. I am not familiar with the Z3.
Go to:
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/z3/
Introduce yourself and ask the guys over there. Don't forget to mention you're a lady. We love when gals come visit us. I frequent the e46 board.

P.S. And don't listen to people who say: "ahh cute, looks good on you" and shit like that, because they are not gonna be the ones taking it for repairs and paying for it. So shut up bitches!

james michael
11-20-2005, 07:31 AM
when you do, we have to go for a ride
when she does have a little penis?
:?

arthurloewenkamp
11-20-2005, 07:48 AM
when she does have a little penis?
:?
bastard, I didn't read anyone else's comments, just refererring to the original, grrr.

james michael
11-20-2005, 07:49 AM
bastard, I didn't read anyone else's comments, just refererring to the original, grrr.
but im not wrong am i?

arthurloewenkamp
11-20-2005, 07:52 AM
I just want to ride in the car, I feel so violated.

Alex(sadly)Maleev
11-20-2005, 08:05 AM
One more thing.
In America cars a ranked and drooled over according to horse power and acceleration. You will get a good kick form this Z3 because it's light and the 2.5L is good enough. Where the fun begins is when you corner this car. That's the strength of the German car, in the handling. The RWD makes a difference in your driving style as well.

wh park
11-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Just to add my 2 cents, before you buy any car you should take it to a mechanic that you trust to look it over and make sure there is nothing wrong with it.

To be honest when you mentioned that the dealers were pushing for you to buy it from them right away that sends a red flag up immediately to me.

Hope that helps.

CarrieLavon
11-20-2005, 07:41 PM
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! I Bought The Car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

The Human Target
11-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Can I have a loan?

And that looks like a great little car, have fun with it!

Need_A_Kiss
11-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Shit... i was gonna suggest shopping around ... but since you bought it i wont bother recommending anything else :D

One more thing.
In America cars a ranked and drooled over according to horse power and acceleration. You will get a good kick form this Z3 because it's light and the 2.5L is good enough. Where the fun begins is when you corner this car. That's the strength of the German car, in the handling. The RWD makes a difference in your driving style as well.

Driven the Z4 yet? That thing is crazy, i tried like hell to get it to slide at 70km but the baby gripped almost like it had AWD...surprised me alot.

...quietly, the Z3 doesn't stack up to a 325Ci... i found that was a much better drive.

Gavin
11-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Buy it.

reeechard
11-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Don't know if you've ever had a convertible, but if it didn't come with one, you should think about getting a wind deflector. Since you have the heated seats you can drive with the top down a lot longer with a wind deflector. And you'll want to put your ac/heat to your feet. If you are as crazy as me you can drive around with your top down when the first snow hits the area.

alexlannin
11-20-2005, 08:16 PM
One more thing.
I own a Fiero, and have fallen in love with RWD, cornering has a whole different feel.
Carrie, it sounds like you're getting a fair deal, is the dealership throwing in any kind of extended service contract? I'd ask about it if you're worried about repairs.

Christian Beranek
11-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Congrats! You'll have to pick me up when I come back around so we can take it for a spin.

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-20-2005, 08:31 PM
I base all my big decisions like buying a car on ads I see in comic books. My opinion? I think that a Honda Civic is the way to go instead of a BMW.

alexlannin
11-20-2005, 08:34 PM
I base all my big decisions like buying a car on ads I see in comic books. My opinion? I think that a Honda Civic is the way to go instead of a BMW.
Tell me you sold GRIT as a child, and you will be more than a Lord of retail :)

CarrieLavon
11-20-2005, 08:38 PM

um ya um whatever you say um HONDAS RULE ya :scared:

CarrieLavon
11-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Congrats! You'll have to pick me up when I come back around so we can take it for a spin.

CBear you know I'll take ya, come on over, the BF won't even mind :)

CraigM
11-20-2005, 08:41 PM
CBear you know I'll take ya, come on over, the BF won't even mind :)

I want a ride too!

:(

Craig

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Tell me you sold GRIT as a child, and you will be more than a Lord of retail :)
Grit is a bit before my time. But if its how it had to be, I could have sold some, yeah. I'm thinking its time for an upgrade though. You think I'd take heat if I changed my name to Overlord Retail? No good? Too much?

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-20-2005, 08:43 PM
um ya um whatever you say um HONDAS RULE ya :scared:
Sorry, couldn't resist. Marvel has been allowing this really annoying double page Honda ad on like the 3rd page of their comics lately. Like comic readers look at any ads let alone buy cars based on them. Ah well, joke's not funny if I have to explain it. I'll do better another time.

CarrieLavon
11-20-2005, 08:46 PM
I want a ride too!

:(

Craig

of course.... i'm on my way to FL right now

CraigM
11-20-2005, 08:46 PM
of course.... i'm on my way to FL right now

Sweet!

Craig

Alex(sadly)Maleev
11-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Shit... i was gonna suggest shopping around ... but since you bought it i wont bother recommending anything else :D

Driven the Z4 yet? That thing is crazy, i tried like hell to get it to slide at 70km but the baby gripped almost like it had AWD...surprised me alot.

...quietly, the Z3 doesn't stack up to a 325Ci... i found that was a much better drive.

I drove an M3. There's no other car I want. Except:
http://www.iauto.lv/images/news/Apr2005/BMW503.jpg

Los
11-20-2005, 08:57 PM
199 per month
But how many years?

Need_A_Kiss
11-20-2005, 09:06 PM
I drove an M3. There's no other car I want. Except:
http://www.iauto.lv/images/news/Apr2005/BMW503.jpg

Ya know, i still think the SMG is one of the worst things BMW ever did...aside from Bangle :D... i presume you're talking e46 M3? OVER RATED!

Drove my girlfriend's dad's Bangle 645ci......it was an automatic...hahaha nuff said.

But that's just cause i'd settle for a 330Ci. This is probably the only BMW i'd ever want.

http://clabedan.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/0502022.jpg

CarrieLavon
11-20-2005, 09:14 PM
199 per month
But how many years?

63 months... however, i'm planning on paying it off alot sooner... if things go well I could have it paid off by next summer :)

Alex(sadly)Maleev
11-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Ya know, i still think the SMG is one of the worst things BMW ever did...aside from Bangle :D... i presume you're talking e46 M3? OVER RATED!

Drove my girlfriend's dad's Bangle 645ci......it was an automatic...hahaha nuff said.

But that's just cause i'd settle for a 330Ci. This is probably the only BMW i'd ever want.

http://clabedan.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/0502022.jpg
Modified 330CI yes.
But the M is not over rated in my opinion. If I wasn't gonna move back to NY, I would have bought it. Not brand new though, I cant shell out 60 G for a car.
After all, I am not drawing an X book.
Do I have to say more?
http://bmw.hlabs.spb.ru/pics/e46/m3csl.jpg

CarrieLavon
11-20-2005, 09:20 PM
I bought the Z3 Roadster because it's all about the look for me, and fast enough for me too

Alex(sadly)Maleev
11-20-2005, 09:25 PM
I bought the Z3 Roadster because it's all about the look for me, and fast enough for me too
Please read my post, be careful and enjoy it.

Need_A_Kiss
11-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Modified 330CI yes.
But the M is not over rated in my opinion. If I wasn't gonna move back to NY, I would have bought it. Not brand new though, I cant shell out 60 G for a car.
After all, I am not drawing an X book.
Do I have to say more?
http://bmw.hlabs.spb.ru/pics/e46/m3csl.jpg

I just feel for the amount of hype around M3, it does not measure, but i did drive the SMG and i absolutely hated it.

...i wish 60G's could buy you an M3 here haha, 60Gs(US) is about the base price for a 325Ci. The m3 here is about 100G US.... it's tough loving cars in Aus.

Alex(sadly)Maleev
11-20-2005, 09:37 PM
I just feel for the amount of hype around M3, it does not measure, but i did drive the SMG and i absolutely hated it.

...i wish 60G's could buy you an M3 here haha, 60Gs(US) is about the base price for a 325Ci. The m3 here is about 100G US.... it's tough loving cars in Aus.
I wouldn't get the SMG. I drove it stick, short shifter as you know. Tiger under the hood, all extras. I was on the verge of getting it.

arthurloewenkamp
11-20-2005, 10:41 PM
congrats, if it ever comes to oklahom... okay no one does, if I ever visit the east I wanna ride

Chris McCarver
11-21-2005, 04:26 AM
Ditto from us Missouri folk.