PDA

View Full Version : After watching War of the Worlds...

mike black
11-19-2005, 08:35 AM
I have to say that those aliens are fucking retarded. You'd think that there would be a leap in logic from Jules Verne to the original movie, to this one, where Aliens who crossed the stars, decimated a populous would figure out that there are some things you just don't do when you get to an alian planet.

Angel of Distraction
11-19-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm not following. How could they have known they wouldn't be able to breathe on a planet that supported life?

Sean Jackson
11-19-2005, 09:02 AM
I still don't understand why the sent the ships however many years ago, and the COME BACK. Why not take over when you send the ships.

Mark Ferris
11-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Its War of the Worlds mate, it just had to end like that. Its not inconcievable that an Alien race could die in this way.

Angel of Distraction
11-19-2005, 09:06 AM
I still don't understand why the sent the ships however many years ago, and the COME BACK. Why not take over when you send the ships.

Wasn't there a bit about us being cultivated like cattle?

james michael
11-19-2005, 09:23 AM
this movie sucked...

jules verne sucks...
i liked journey to the center of the earth...

J. R. Scherer
11-19-2005, 09:31 AM
The aliens were arrogant and cocky. And they just plain didn't know about bacteria and germs. Their mechanical science clearly outstripped their biological science by far.

Randomus
11-19-2005, 09:39 AM
If they hadn't died via infection, they may as well have called it Independence Day 2.

And there is your absolutely ancient response to this question for the day.

FredC
11-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Bah. I liked the old movie better.

J. R. Scherer
11-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Bah. I liked the old movie better.

Well, it is a totally different movie...

I liked the new one in that it's a wholly different perspective. I mean, we always get to see the scientists and military men that are hard at work trying to beat the invaders. I thought it was really cool to see a different side of the invasion story.

Of course, the son turning up alive at the end was complete and utter bullshit, though.

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
11-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Of course, the son turning up alive at the end was complete and utter bullshit, though.

It was the third Spielberg film in recent memory that was kicked in the nuts by a terrible ending(A.I. and Minority Report).

Taxman
11-19-2005, 10:20 AM
I still don't understand why the sent the ships however many years ago, and the COME BACK. Why not take over when you send the ships. One word: plasticis

Taxman
11-19-2005, 10:22 AM
I have to say that those aliens are fucking retarded. You'd think that there would be a leap in logic from Jules Verne to the original movie, to this one, where Aliens who crossed the stars, decimated a populous would figure out that there are some things you just don't do when you get to an alian planet.I don't know they never said where they were from, did they? I wondered in advance whether they were still Martians, but I am not sure it was ever said. The only good answer for you question I think is that they had just had no experience with space travel. That might make a little more sense if they actually were from Mars.

mike black
11-19-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm not following. How could they have known they wouldn't be able to breathe on a planet that supported life?

Kind of Scientific common knowledge. Hell, humans can't even travel from one country to another without expecting to encounter problems with the local bacteria - your going to tell me a sentient race "Of much more vast intelligence" couldn't figure that one out? The virus bit made sense in the original (there's always the chance that one of them could accidentally have been infected, despite their protection against pathogens.) But these things were walking and going "Oh, look! Water! This will be just like drinking on my home world."

Gilalda is right - why not take over when they put the machines there? Why wait? If they want to herd us like cattle, do it while we're still young (as a species) and pliable.

However, it was a fun little popcorn flick.

MattJohnson
11-19-2005, 11:15 AM
I HATED this movie, and I love H.G. Wells+Spielberg. Grr

Sean Jackson
11-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Yeah, that was crap frosting on a shit cake.