PDA

View Full Version : Local by Brian Wood from Oni

Doug
11-18-2005, 05:20 AM
Much better first issue than DMZ in my opinion.

Spoilers may seep in below. You have been warned.

I didn't know anything about this book, but my comic shop guy said give it a shot and if you don't like it, you can return it. So I thought what the hell and gave it a shot.

This book is really good.

In reading Wood's afterword I really like that each issue will take place in a different place in the country, and will feature Meghan in some respect. I also like how each issue will take place a year after the previous issue. So the 12 issues will take Meghan from a 17 year old girl to a 30 year old woman.

I loved the Groundhog's Day feel of the first issue, but without the over the top humor.

I'm really looking forward to issue 2.

Bervda
11-18-2005, 05:20 AM
I absolutely loved this book, but I have to disagree and say that DMZ was a better first issue.

Doug
11-18-2005, 05:25 AM
I absolutely loved this book, but I have to disagree and say that DMZ was a better first issue.

I thought up until the helicopter crash DMZ was great, but everything after was just okay. Local I thought was great all the way through.

But to each his own.

CARSON
11-18-2005, 06:33 AM
I didn't know anything about the book, but I picked it up from the cover, gave it a flip through, bought it, and loved. I also liked the groundhog day feel. But is each issue centered on a different person or something? (I hope not).

Bervda
11-18-2005, 07:59 AM
I thought up until the helicopter crash DMZ was great, but everything after was just okay. Local I thought was great all the way through.

But to each his own.

I'm looking forward to the continuation of both. It's nice to have two new quality titles to read every month.

skinnyrunaway
11-18-2005, 08:41 AM
I didn't know anything about the book, but I picked it up from the cover, gave it a flip through, bought it, and loved. I also liked the groundhog day feel. But is each issue centered on a different person or something? (I hope not).

every issue will have a different main focus, but megan is still there in some respect. shes just not a main character anymore. its like demo that the focus shifts every episode but instead of superpowers its settings.

Ziolko
11-18-2005, 09:12 AM
I'm looking forward to the continuation of both. It's nice to have two new quality titles to read every month.

Amen. :D

Ben Rosen
11-18-2005, 11:14 AM
both books were extrememly good, but local was just my perfect single issue comic. so good. almost as good a start as demo #1. but i'm glad local is here to fill the demo hole.

Doc Randy
11-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Glad you liked it! We're trying to make each issue a fun stand-alone read.

At the end of the 12 issue run, you'll see a grander picture on how each of these little "pop" vignettes are interconnected. You'll really get to know the main characters and see the overall theme of how your location and environment can shape and change your life.

Don't miss issue 2 - it's pretty awesome!

http://www.onipress.com/covers/local_02.jpg

Also, you might want to check out the Local Work Blog (http://localthecomic.blogspot.com/). We're hoping to get tons of feedback from people about their own hometown. Maybe LOCAL will be coming your way?

nny
11-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Wow, this was horrible. The basic plot was about as bad as any plot I've ever seen and to make it worse, we had to experience it over and over again. It was also way too reminiscent of Run Lola Run. Beyond the main plot device, even the main characters and some details were similar to RLR. There was absolutely no dramatic tension because the basic plot was so terrible, we knew it'd never work. Also, the fact that the main character would do something so stupid made me not care about her at all. Most of the dialogue was horrid too. I especially liked everything the police officer said. What he said didn't even make sense; it was just there to give background to the reader to try to add more drama to the story. Finally, the whole thing is capped off with a forced feel-good happy ending. It's been a long time since I hated a comic this much.

niceguyeddie
11-18-2005, 10:17 PM
i met that fool at my local comic shop.
i didnt even know who he was. the shop owner had to tell me.
i feel bad because I got some issues of DEMO while I was there and damn was that shizzo off the hizzo.

PeteL
11-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Glad you liked it! We're trying to make each issue a fun stand-alone read.

At the end of the 12 issue run, you'll see a grander picture on how each of these little "pop" vignettes are interconnected. You'll really get to know the main characters and see the overall theme of how your location and environment can shape and change your life.

Don't miss issue 2 - it's pretty awesome!

http://www.onipress.com/covers/local_02.jpg

Also, you might want to check out the Local Work Blog (http://localthecomic.blogspot.com/). We're hoping to get tons of feedback from people about their own hometown. Maybe LOCAL will be coming your way?

Cool. Work blog.

I really liked issue # 1 of Local. I talked about it in this week's bought/thought.

Olivier E.
11-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Wow, this was horrible. The basic plot was about as bad as any plot I've ever seen and to make it worse, we had to experience it over and over again. It was also way too reminiscent of Run Lola Run. Beyond the main plot device, even the main characters and some details were similar to RLR. There was absolutely no dramatic tension because the basic plot was so terrible, we knew it'd never work. Also, the fact that the main character would do something so stupid made me not care about her at all. Most of the dialogue was horrid too. I especially liked everything the police officer said. What he said didn't even make sense; it was just there to give background to the reader to try to add more drama to the story. Finally, the whole thing is capped off with a forced feel-good happy ending. It's been a long time since I hated a comic this much.

Agreed, but I didn't hate it, I was just disappointed to it. You're also right with Tykwer's Lola Rennt, just there it was done right.