PDA

View Full Version : I just accepted my first Substitute teaching assignment

Ray G.
11-14-2005, 02:51 PM
6th grade English at my old middle school. Tomorrow morning, I join the workforce.

So, advice? Encouragement? Predictions of doom?

And don't worry. Tomorrow afternoon, there WILL be stories. Maybe I'll meet my very own Timmy. :D

Roman Noodles
11-14-2005, 02:51 PM
stay away from the girls dude . . . they are NOT supergirl okay?

RøcketFrøg
11-14-2005, 02:52 PM
I subbed for awhile at elementary schools in my town. It was fun. I ended up subbing for gym a lot, which is funny since I'm the polar opposite of in-shape. I was like the before picture for a gym class. But we played a lot of basketball and had a good time.
My only advice would be to not take it even remotely serious.

RøcketFrøg
11-14-2005, 02:53 PM
heh, nice

xyzzy
11-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Good luck, man. There's a better than average chance that it's gonna suck.

Ray G.
11-14-2005, 02:59 PM

They're 11! Geezum crow, what kind of sicko do you think I am? Get it straight! I'm a pervert, NOT a pedophile! ;)

ihategravity
11-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Don't sub for anything below 8th grade. Don't EVER sub as an ed. tech or a special Ed. teacher.

However, find out the names of the teachers around you. They will/can be incredibly resourceful if you have any problems.

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT ANYTHING. If you say that they are to do something, do not back down from it.

And, have fun. It's not your classroom, but it is for a day.

TIP
11-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Buff the spats, retrieve your best tweed jacket with elbow patches, select an appropriate Supergirl tie, and knock yourself out.

T

Roman Noodles
11-14-2005, 03:00 PM
They're 11! Geezum crow, what kind of sicko do you think I am? Get it straight! I'm a pervert, NOT a pedophile! ;)

Okay just makin' sure . . . :mistrust:

RøcketFrøg
11-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Buff the spats, retrieve your best tweed jacket with elbow patches, select an appropriate Supergirl tie, and knock yourself out.

T
So he should wear shoes then?

But not pants?

ihategravity
11-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Good luck, man. There's a better than average chance that it's gonna suck.

I subbed last year for 6 months and loved it. I had my days (mostly in Middle Schools or as a Special Ed. Teacher) where I wanted to line up each and every kid and kick them in the head.

But 90% of the time I loved subbing--and that's waaaaay more than 50%.

Ben Rosen
i hope they rip you apart and eat your for their mid morning snack.

6th graders are rough, man.

TIP

But not pants?

It's a REALLY long twead jacket.

T

Mr. E!
11-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Don't sub for anything below 8th grade. Don't EVER sub as an ed. tech or a special Ed. teacher.

However, find out the names of the teachers around you. They will/can be incredibly resourceful if you have any problems.

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT ANYTHING. If you say that they are to do something, do not back down from it.

And, have fun. It's not your classroom, but it is for a day.

I approve of this post.
high school and up, only.
You are the adult in the room, which means that you will be the one to get sued when it all goes to hell. Try not to let it get that far.
Leave a nice, detailed report for the teacher.
Now, I never had a problem subbing. I never even had to raise my voice in 2 years.
And you will not get a Timmy. There is only one Timmy. But you might get a Burley...

Mr. E!
11-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Oh! And good luck!

THWIP!
11-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Substitute Teacher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yay!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Rosen
11-14-2005, 03:07 PM
okay, actual advice that won't help:

i know as a current high school student and it hasnt been too long since i was in the 6th grade but....don't feel the need to assert yourself as the leader or big guy in the room because that makes every kid hate you and want to do bad stuff.

Victor Cabanelas
11-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Congrats, man.

ihategravity
11-14-2005, 03:14 PM
You can try one of my tricks that seemed to work last year for some odd reason if the kids wouldn't shut up at the beginning of class. I would start to yell, "I'm gonna do jumping jacks....I'm gonna do jumping jacks."

Being a 300 pound guy, I recieved a lot of interesting looks, and it seemed to break the ice.

That and my name was Mr. Hilton and everyone asked if I was related to Paris. I came up with a different snide remark everyday. It was fun.

King of Mars
11-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Advice for Raydawwgie:

1. Establish a disciplinary presence first and then, if the situation allows, you can loosen up and become the "cool sub" later on. Important to be tough in the beginning because if they initially see you as weak, you'll never know a moment's peace.

2. Never show uncertainty or hesitation. The little bastards aren't fully aware that a sub is a powerless entity. If you show confidence and decisiveness, you'll take on the air of a genuine authority figure.

3. DO NOT mention Disney or Mulan. At their age, it ain't gonna help you bond with most of 'em and, basically, it's like cutting your own leg and jumping in a shark tank.

"Haha. Mr. Dawggie likes Mulan. Let's fuck with him."

4. DO NOT discuss politics with them. Indulging in fantasy is great but they're in class to learn, not to hear made up stories.:wink:

5. Never take advice from me. I'm an idiot. Doesn't stop me from offering up my little nuggets of "wisdom", though. :)

RøcketFrøg
11-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Advice for Raydawwgie:

1. Establish a disciplinary presence first and then, if the situation allows, you can loosen up and become the "cool sub" later on. Important to be tough in the beginning because if they initially see you as weak, you'll never know a moment's peace.

2. Never show uncertainty or hesitation. The little bastards aren't fully aware that a sub is a powerless entity. If you show confidence and decisiveness, you'll take on the air of a genuine authority figure.

3. DO NOT mention Disney or Mulan. At their age, it ain't gonna help you bond with most of 'em and, basically, it's like cutting your own leg and jumping in a shark tank.

4. DO NOT discuss politics with them. Indulging in fantasy is great but they're in class to learn, not to hear made up stories.:wink:

5. Never take advice from me. I'm an idiot. Doesn't stop me from offering up my little nuggets of "wisdom", though. :)

You're like a drill sergeant. That's cool.

Criden
11-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Congrats! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

LordKinbote
11-14-2005, 03:45 PM

i know as a current high school student and it hasnt been too long since i was in the 6th grade but....don't feel the need to assert yourself as the leader or big guy in the room because that makes every kid hate you and want to do bad stuff.

And as someone two and a half months into an internship where I sub almost every day at a middle school, I'm here to tell you that's bullshit.

If you don't assert yourself, the kids will walk over you. Give them any slack and that's what most of them will do. You don't have to be mean, you don't have to yell, you just have to let them know that misbehavior will not be allowed.

Let them know that anything that happens in the classroom will be known by the regular teacher, good or bad. Write down names of misbehaving students in a visible place and don't erase the names, no matter how much they beg.

If you're subbing for an honors class, you'll rarely have to worry. Believe it or not, if you're subbing for a basic class, you'll rarely have to worry. It's a surprising fact I've learned. The worst by far are the average classes.

Always follow the lesson plan, UNLESS the lesson is not a lesson at all, but something like "Have the kids study their vocab together." There is NO WAY the kids will follow the plan without running around the room and talking about completely off-topic things. Make it into a game or something...just make sure that you're in charge of the situation.

Don't be afraid to send a kid to the office.

Learn names. You'd be amazed at how quickly kids shape up when they realize you know who they are.

Make sure you keep a sense of humor.

And above all, it's nowhere near as bad as you fear it will be, but not quite as good as you hope it might.

There's probably more advice I could give, but that's off the top of my head. If you want to ask specific things, I'm on AIM at LordKinbote3.

Len Ford
11-14-2005, 03:46 PM
I've been subbing since April of this year. From my experience, 6th grade is by far, the worst/most annoying group to have to sub for. Middle school in general is really a pain. I prefer to stick to elementary schools or high schools. Gym is the greatest subbing gig of all time, especially at a high school level. So far I haven't had any real problems besides keeping some kids on task and keeping them quiet (only problem was the middle school kids).

-Len

Ben Rosen
11-14-2005, 03:47 PM
And as someone two and a half months into an internship where I sub almost every day at a middle school, I'm here to tell you that's bullshit.

If you don't assert yourself, the kids will walk over you. Give them any slack and that's what most of them will do. You don't have to be mean, you don't have to yell, you just have to let them know that misbehavior will not be allowed.

Let them know that anything that happens in the classroom will be known by the regular teacher, good or bad. Write down names of misbehaving students in a visible place and don't erase the names, no matter how much they beg.

If you're subbing for an honors class, you'll rarely have to worry. Believe it or not, if you're subbing for a basic class, you'll rarely have to worry. It's a surprising fact I've learned. The worst by far are the average classes.

Always follow the lesson plan, UNLESS the lesson is not a lesson at all, but something like "Have the kids study their vocab together." There is NO WAY the kids will follow the plan without running around the room and talking about completely off-topic things. Make it into a game or something...just make sure that you're in charge of the situation.

Don't be afraid to send a kid to the office.

Learn names. You'd be amazed at how quickly kids shape up when they realize you know who they are.

Make sure you keep a sense of humor.

And above all, it's nowhere near as bad as you fear it will be, but not quite as good as you hope it might.

There's probably more advice I could give, but that's off the top of my head. If you want to ask specific things, I'm on AIM at LordKinbote3.

you know what, i like what you put there. i just meant over compensating and over asserting yourself is easy to see through and is just as bad as being a pushover. at least in my experience.

LordKinbote
11-14-2005, 03:51 PM
you know what, i like what you put there. i just meant over compensating and over asserting yourself is easy to see through and is just as bad as being a pushover. at least in my experience.

Okay, I see what you mean. There IS such a thing as over-assertion. If you feel like you're doing too much work and draining yourself, you probably are. Yelling almost never works. If you've gotten to the point of yelling, you made a misstep somewhere along the way.

I am far, far, far from an expert at this stuff, and am probably still too far on the pushover side, but at least I know what I've done wrong.

Mr. E!
11-14-2005, 03:53 PM
I've been subbing since April of this year. From my experience, 6th grade is by far, the worst/most annoying group to have to sub for. Middle school in general is really a pain. I prefer to stick to elementary schools or high schools. Gym is the greatest subbing gig of all time, especially at a high school level. So far I haven't had any real problems besides keeping some kids on task and keeping them quiet (only problem was the middle school kids).

-Len

gym gigs were the best! volleyball and dodgeball...and volleydodgeball!

gaspar
11-14-2005, 04:01 PM

Wow, I subbed for about 4 months a couple of years ago and would have given almost exactly the opposite advice on that. I LOVED elementary school subbing (with a few exceptions). For the most part, the kids were happy to have a "break" from the normal teacher and as long as you don't let them walk all over you but still find a way to have fun with them, they'll go along with the lesson plan fairly easily.

I also absolutely loved my few assignments in Special Ed classes. They were by far the best students I had during my few months subbing. They, of course, had their issues that you had to deal with, but most of them actually seemed to want to learn and would *try* which didn't always happen in the "regular" classes. Plus the classes were generally much smaller, so I had a better opportunity to interact one on one and in small groups and really felt like I was getting through to some of them.

I don't think I'll ever go back to subbing...it was on some days the most rewarding job I've ever had and on others, the most difficult, frustrating, horrible job I've ever had and I just don't enjoy that kind of extreme fluctuation. Also, unless you are sticking with just one campus, everyday is like being the new guy at a new job and I like finding my comfort zone...not much comfort zone-finding ability in a sub situation. Can't wait to hear how it went!

Brandon

LordKinbote
11-14-2005, 04:05 PM
I also absolutely loved my few assignments in Special Ed classes. They were by far the best students I had during my few months subbing. They, of course, had their issues that you had to deal with, but most of them actually seemed to want to learn and would *try* which didn't always happen in the "regular" classes. Plus the classes were generally much smaller, so I had a better opportunity to interact one on one and in small groups and really felt like I was getting through to some of them.

All of this is generally true. However, if you really feel uncomfortable about subbing for special ed, I think in most states, if you don't have the proper training, it's illegal for you to do it anyway. Schools won't care about "the law", but if you have the balls, you can remind them of this fact.

Ray G.
11-14-2005, 06:08 PM

But not pants?

I checked the schedule. It's not no-pants day. :(

Ray G.
11-14-2005, 06:09 PM
i hope they rip you apart and eat your for their mid morning snack.

6th graders are rough, man.

But then who would you argue with(and lose to)? ;)

Ray G.
11-14-2005, 06:10 PM
I approve of this post.
high school and up, only.
You are the adult in the room, which means that you will be the one to get sued when it all goes to hell. Try not to let it get that far.
Leave a nice, detailed report for the teacher.
Now, I never had a problem subbing. I never even had to raise my voice in 2 years.
And you will not get a Timmy. There is only one Timmy. But you might get a Burley...

Cool, man. I was hoping to hear your advice in this thread, for obvious reasons.

Have we heard about Burley yet?

andrew french
11-14-2005, 06:11 PM
well, i've often thought that if i became an art or english teacher, or any teacher, i'd start out each semester with:

LISTEN: i don't like you, and you don't like me, but let's just get through this.

so i'd recommend that.

Ray G.
11-14-2005, 06:12 PM

That's what I was thinking. I'm not that old, and I remember what happened when we used to have a Sub. The best thing to do is just lay back and wait for the trouble to come to you. 90% of the time, we would just do our work and talk amongst ourselves more than usual. Nothing a reasonable sub can't let slide. It was only the real drill-seargent subs that we caused real problems for. Plus, I'm not exactly intimidating. I fully expect to be asked for a hall pass at some point tomorrow.

Ray G.
11-14-2005, 06:13 PM
You can try one of my tricks that seemed to work last year for some odd reason if the kids wouldn't shut up at the beginning of class. I would start to yell, "I'm gonna do jumping jacks....I'm gonna do jumping jacks."

Being a 300 pound guy, I recieved a lot of interesting looks, and it seemed to break the ice.

That and my name was Mr. Hilton and everyone asked if I was related to Paris. I came up with a different snide remark everyday. It was fun.

You rock. Why did you never sub at my school?

A little fun is never a bad thing.

Ray G.
11-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Advice for Raydawwgie:

How did I know that the Mulan thing would show up here at some point? And no, I'm not going to discuss politics with them. That would get me fired, and amost all kids are liberals anyway. They have much to learn, mwahaha.

#5 was brilliant advice. ;)

Ray G.
11-14-2005, 06:16 PM
I really hope they never put me in a gym class. I'll never live it down. I am the biggest sports spaz in history, and I haven't improved much in the last five years.

Roman Noodles
11-14-2005, 06:18 PM

You know I just realized you said Geezum crow . . . where are you, Fargo?

The Roman Candle
11-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Good luck, dude. Good luck.

I'll miss you after the aneurism. :(

Ray G.
11-14-2005, 06:19 PM
You know I just realized you said Geezum crow . . . where are you, Fargo?

Geezum Crow is a funny expression. More people should use it.

Ray G.
11-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Good luck, dude. Good luck.

I'll miss you after the aneurism. :(

Don't worry. If it gets bad, I'll just go to my happy place.

Mmm.....Supergirl and Nico from Runaways giving each other foot rubs......

Mr. E!
11-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Cool, man. I was hoping to hear your advice in this thread, for obvious reasons.

Have we heard about Burley yet?

No, Burley hasn't made his debut yet.
He's on his way.

Roman Noodles
11-14-2005, 06:21 PM
:Panic:
Don't worry. If it gets bad, I'll just go to my happy place.

Mmm.....Supergirl and Nico from Runaways giving each other foot rubs......

:scared: AHHH!!!! JAILBAIT!!!! JAILBAIT!!!! DANGER DANGER!!!!!

sleep
11-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Good luck. And don't be afraid to learn from the master:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000AQ68SW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ray G.
11-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Well, it went pretty smoothly. The kids were a bit rowdy, but they wore themselves out eventually and we got down to learning. I didn't try to hard to assert myself as a disciplinarian, and it worked. The kids seemed to enjoy learning from me, and we had some interesting discussions. Of course, Airplane boy and the Eminem wannabe made for some interesting times, but nothing extreme. Plus, all the girls were flirting with me.

And before anyone says anything, I did NOT take them up on the offer! :mad:

All in all, it was fun. I can definitely see myself teaching as a career until I get into comics.

Roman Noodles
11-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Plus, all the girls were flirting with me.

And before anyone says anything, I did NOT take them up on the offer! :mad:

Dang you beat me to the punch, DAMN. And are sure you mistook their disgust as a come-on?

Ray G.
11-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Dang you beat me to the punch, DAMN. And are sure you mistook their disgust as a come-on?

You're walking a fine line, dude. You have no clue what I look like, so don't call me ugly.

Plus, you know those middle school girls. A decent-looking young Sub comes in, they're all over him. I'm decent-looking, so hey. ;)

ihategravity
11-15-2005, 11:49 AM
You rock. Why did you never sub at my school?

A little fun is never a bad thing.

I rarely get to have such fun being a SPED teacher now. I can't wait until I get to actually teach English.

Shepherd
11-15-2005, 12:12 PM
6th grade English at my old middle school. Tomorrow morning, I join the workforce.

So, advice? Encouragement? Predictions of doom?

And don't worry. Tomorrow afternoon, there WILL be stories. Maybe I'll meet my very own Timmy. :D

The first day, you're going to get fried. Be firm and make an example of one student if they start acting up. Middle school is the hardest BY FAR to sub for, so you really need to lay down the law.

Damn, I'm remembering my first assignment. It was sixth grade too. I DO NOT envy you. But stick with it. Not all assignments are that bad, and sometimes it's really fun (and often really easy).

R

tjtolosa
11-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Of course, Airplane boy and the Eminem wannabe made for some interesting times, but nothing extreme.
I wanna hear about airplane boy...

Ray G.
11-15-2005, 12:33 PM
I wanna hear about airplane boy...

Midway through the lesson, he jumped up on his desk, screamed "I'm an airplane!" at the top of his lungs, spread his arms like wings, and leapt off, directly onto my desk! I was so startled that I actually yelled out "Son of a taint!", but I don't think anyone actually heard it over all the noise from the other kids. Fortunately, the little fucktard was okay, and was promptly sent down to the office for being disruptive. I didn't give details, because I'm sure they would have thought I was making it up.

tjtolosa
11-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Midway through the lesson, he jumped up on his desk, screamed "I'm an airplane!" at the top of his lungs, spread his arms like wings, and leapt off, directly onto my desk! I was so startled that I actually yelled out "Son of a taint!", but I don't think anyone actually heard it over all the noise from the other kids. Fortunately, the little fucktard was okay, and was promptly sent down to the office for being disruptive. I didn't give details, because I'm sure they would have thought I was making it up.
:rofl: well, at least your day wasn't boring!

Jim T.
11-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Just mention your Princess Collection - that always wins the cool kids over....

WinterRose
11-15-2005, 12:45 PM
6th grade? Oh yeah... You're like DOOMED as DOOMED can be, I must say!

Ray G.
11-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Just mention your Princess Collection - that always wins the cool kids over....

What Princess Collection? I'm a fan of old-school 90's Disney, and this whole affair stems from the fact that I dislike Disney's attempt to shoehorn all their female characters into the same "Princess" mold. Geez.....;)

Ray G.
11-15-2005, 12:46 PM
6th grade? Oh yeah... You're like DOOMED as DOOMED can be, I must say!

Little late to the party. I survived, and I'm sure you're disappointed. :razz:

WinterRose
11-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Nope. Not disappointed at all. I AM glad you're okay. I've heard MUCH more horrible stories from Macha's from her classes last year. She got to teach the 'exceptional needs' kids.

Ray G.
11-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Nope. Not disappointed at all. I AM glad you're okay. I've heard MUCH more horrible stories from Macha's from her classes last year. She got to teach the 'exceptional needs' kids.

I'm staying far, far away from those. My district lets you know exactly what class you'll be subbing for before you claim it.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
11-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Teach The Shit Outta That Place.

Wayno.

Mr. E!
11-15-2005, 12:59 PM

Good times, Ray, good times. I'm glad things went well for you. If you can build up a rep at the school as a good sub, it will be smooth sailing. The kids will enjoy having you, and the school will call on a daily basis. My school has 3 good subs in the sub pool, and they are working every day. The best is a local reverend. He's in his 60's, and has a very wry sense of humor. The kids love him. They have dubbed him "White Chocolate" because "He's so down, there must be a little black in there." 8-)

Mr. E!
11-15-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm staying far, far away from those. My district lets you know exactly what class you'll be subbing for before you claim it.

Oh sure they do...just watch out for the old bait and switch. "Oh, Mr. Dawggie, I know we told you you'd be subbing for AP English, but we had to switch you to self contained special ed. Hope you don't mind" Which translates to: "You're a guy. We're going to put you with the worst kids because we think you can keep 'em in line. don't like it? Fine. We won't call anymore. Enjoy your Ramen noodles, poor boy."

Ray G.
11-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Oh sure they do...just watch out for the old bait and switch. "Oh, Mr. Dawggie, I know we told you you'd be subbing for AP English, but we had to switch you to self contained special ed. Hope you don't mind" Which translates to: "You're a guy. We're going to put you with the worst kids because we think you can keep 'em in line. don't like it? Fine. We won't call anymore. Enjoy your Ramen noodles, poor boy."

Heh, I don't know if they want me to handle the "tough class". I'm 5'4" and slightly effeminate except for the beard. I'm going to try to get hired by two other nearby districts too, hopefully, so each day I'll have a good choice of assignments that I can get to easily.

Olivier E.
11-15-2005, 01:40 PM
don't try to be funny and don't talk about supergirl

Macha's Rook
11-17-2005, 01:14 PM
...I've heard MUCH more horrible stories from Macha's from her classes last year. She got to teach the 'exceptional needs' kids.

And by that he means kids who were spawned by satan, raised by wolves, and left to fight for scraps of meat.

I still have blood on one of my shirts.