PDA

View Full Version : Is Squadren SUpreme the most influential comic ever?

HCMarvel
11-01-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm kidding, but only kinda

look at Kingdom Come, Watchmen, TDKR,

and most notably the current Mindwipe craze in DC

SS was an influential mother fucker...

Ben Rosen
11-01-2005, 04:12 PM
no. not at all.

The Roman Candle
11-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Little Nemo.

Ray G.
11-01-2005, 04:13 PM
It's up there. I still say it's better than Watchmen or Dark Knight Returns.

sonnylarue
11-01-2005, 04:17 PM

wow, I can't even agree with you about comics :surrend: :lol:

and I love the originakl squadron supreme series

warrenellis
11-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Aha. Finally, I meet the town drunk. Excellent.

-- W

HCMarvel
11-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Aha. Finally, I meet the town drunk. Excellent.

-- W

Moi?

or the raydawgee guy?

p.s. love your work Warren, Your Authority got be back into comics again. for that i should prob hate you but its been worth it

you once said for those 12 issues that you, bryan, paul, and laura were like the Beatles and in all honesty i agree. thanks for that run sir. truely

Taxman
11-01-2005, 04:28 PM
It's up there. I still say it's better than Watchmen or Dark Knight Returns.Did I once read that Watchmen was influenced by Squadron Supreme?

Vroom_Socko
11-01-2005, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't say it's the most influential ever, but it's definitly in my all-time top ten.

TIP
11-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Naw. The most influential comic book was Action Comics #1.

Squadron Supreme (Gruenwald's maxi-series) was good stuff as I recall (note: I haven't read it in years and years...maybe only read it one other time since the individual issues monthly releases). I also recall the art being a bit hit or miss (did it change artists during its run?).

T

Gavin
11-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Never read it. Can't comment.

Taxman
11-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Naw. The most influential comic book was Action Comics #1.

Squadron Supreme (Gruenwald's maxi-series) was good stuff as I recall (note: I haven't read it in years and years...maybe only read it one other time since the individual issues monthly releases). I also recall the art being a bit hit or miss (did it change artists during its run?).

TYeah, the best art on Squadron Supreme was done by Perez in Avengers, IMO.

bartleby
11-01-2005, 05:26 PM
I think it's too early to tell. Ten years from now, if every comic creator's ashes are mixed in with ink and printed in trade paperback form, then I think you'll have a case.

Kefky
11-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Did I once read that Watchmen was influenced by Squadron Supreme?

Well, there's no evidence for this type of thing, obviously, but watchmen came out about an year after SP. So take that as you will. I personally always saw watchmen as taking what Gru did in SP to the next level and making it more personal.

Doc Randy
11-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Many of the major themes in Watchmen were also in Moore's run on Miracleman, which is probably more influential than SQUADRON SUPREME. It's certainly a better book.

DrMachine
11-01-2005, 05:50 PM

wow...I agree with you on something...finally

:lol:

Mike Haseloff
11-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Is Squadren SUpreme the most influential comic ever?The most influenced, maybe. :)

Kefky
11-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Many of the major themes in Watchmen were also in Moore's run on Miracleman, which is probably more influential than SQUADRON SUPREME. It's certainly a better book.

Um, but miracleman came out after both watchmen and the squadron, right? Or are you gonna teach me something I didn't know now, look all superior-like?

Adrian B AWESOME
11-01-2005, 05:58 PM
I would say that Squadron Supreme is the most influential SUPERHERO comic, but not comic.

Like some have said, comics like Little Nemo, Krazy Kat, and Peanuts are WAAAY more influential.

Kefky
11-01-2005, 05:59 PM
The most influenced, maybe. :)

What the hell does THAT mean? :mistrust:

andrew french
11-01-2005, 05:59 PM
i want to read little nemo so badly...

Cth
11-02-2005, 06:26 AM
I'd say most riffed on thematically..

Kip K
11-02-2005, 07:01 AM
You can point to alot of books that have the same themes as Squadron Supreme. Any story that has heroes going out of control/losing their moral center certainly echoes back to the Squadron. Hyperion certainly seems to have found a fanbase and is probably more prominent in today's comics than he was back then.

The series is one of my favorites and still holds up on rereading. If anything, it fits better with today's comics than comics when it was published.

Doc Randy
11-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Um, but miracleman came out after both watchmen and the squadron, right? Or are you gonna teach me something I didn't know now, look all superior-like?

Miracleman was first released as Marvelman in March of 1982 in a magazine called Warrior.

Squadron Supreme (the famous mini-series) ran from September 1985 - August 1986.

Watchmen started in September of 1986.

Moore had to of started writing Watchmen before Squadron Supreme had finished. Odds are, he probably started work on the project even before the first issue of SS came out. They certainly have similar themes, but Miracleman/Marvelman predates both by a few years.

Rob Helmerichs
11-02-2005, 08:15 AM
I'd say Squadron Supreme had almost no influence, due to bad timing and style. SS dealt with a lot of the same themes as Dark Knight and Watchmen (both of which were underway before SS came out), but SS was very backward-looking (i.e., the writing and art style of it were completely within the mainstream of 70s/early 80s comics), while Watchmen and Dark Knight were forward-looking; they both broke new ground in storytelling and art. As a result, DK and Watchmen stole most of SS's thunder (and rightly so, I'd say), and people who were influenced by that sort of thing were influenced more by them instead.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Miracleman was first released as Marvelman in March of 1982 in a magazine called Warrior.

Squadron Supreme (the famous mini-series) ran from September 1985 - August 1986.

Watchmen started in September of 1986.

Moore had to of started writing Watchmen before Squadron Supreme had finished. Odds are, he probably started work on the project even before the first issue of SS came out. They certainly have similar themes, but Miracleman/Marvelman predates both by a few years.
Um, the original issues of Marvelman/Miracleman, for the most part, were actually reprints.

The issues in question were a part of the Olympia storyline, which started in #11, and actually, the MAIN issue is #15, which wasn't released until 1988. I can't say when Moore had finished the scripts for it, but it was released well after Watchmen.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-02-2005, 08:21 AM
I'd say Squadron Supreme had almost no influence, due to bad timing and style. SS dealt with a lot of the same themes as Dark Knight and Watchmen (both of which were underway before SS came out), but SS was very backward-looking (i.e., the writing and art style of it were completely within the mainstream of 70s/early 80s comics), while Watchmen and Dark Knight were forward-looking; they both broke new ground in storytelling and art. As a result, DK and Watchmen stole most of SS's thunder (and rightly so, I'd say), and people who were influenced by that sort of thing were influenced more by them instead.
No they weren't!

SS began in '85!

Colin Boylan
11-02-2005, 08:55 AM
I think Marvelman/Miracleman was more influential.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
11-02-2005, 08:59 AM
I'd say the two most influential comics of all time were Action Comics #1 nd Amazing Fantasy #15. The first one because it created the template for all super-hero comics, and the second because it proved you could subvert that template and still strike gold.

Victor Cabanelas
11-02-2005, 09:38 AM
What the hell does THAT mean? :mistrust:

The Squadron Supreme is pretty much a copy of the JLA

Rob Helmerichs
11-02-2005, 11:09 AM
No they weren't!

SS began in '85!
Yes, they were. SS wasn't out long enough to have much influence before DK and Watchmen came along, doing the same basic themes in a much more forward-looking manner.

Olivier E.
11-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Yes, they were. SS wasn't out long enough to have much influence before DK and Watchmen came along, doing the same basic themes in a much more forward-looking manner.

but it had influential on IC which is a nearly total rip-off, of that story and isn't IC the most :blah: comic everr?

Colin Boylan
11-02-2005, 11:51 AM
I'd say the two most influential comics of all time were Action Comics #1 nd Amazing Fantasy #15. The first one because it created the template for all super-hero comics, and the second because it proved you could subvert that template and still strike gold.
I agree. Marvelman/Miracleman was good at starting the hyperrealistic approach to superhero storytelling, though.

Chinaski
11-02-2005, 12:19 PM

Maybe it was a genuine coincidence that 3 comic greats, at the peak of their creativity just hit upon the same creative idea to follow the superhero concept into how it might play out in a "real world" type setting. I agree that SS is one of the most influential books of the past 20 or so years, but you also need to include DKR and Watchmen (and to a certain extent Miracleman) into that pantheon as well.

I do think that Squadron Supreme is one of, if not the most under-rated super hero maxi series tho. As evidenced by the most esteemed Mr Ellis' response to the initial question.

Taxman
11-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Maybe it was a genuine coincidence that 3 comic greats, at the peak of their creativity just hit upon the same creative idea to follow the superhero concept into how it might play out in a "real world" type setting. I agree that SS is one of the most influential books of the past 20 or so years, but you also need to include DKR and Watchmen (and to a certain extent Miracleman) into that pantheon as well.

I do think that Squadron Supreme is one of, if not the most under-rated super hero maxi series tho. As evidenced by the most esteemed Mr Ellis' response to the initial question.Mr. Ellis, I believe, was commenting mainly on the mess that HCMarvel made of the thread title.

Natty P
11-02-2005, 03:16 PM
No.

But it could be the most overrated ever.

Wastrel
11-02-2005, 03:17 PM
i think tetsuwan atom is the most influential comic ever.