PDA

View Full Version : My Halloween Movie Marathon Has Begun

Brad Gullickson
10-31-2005, 01:13 PM
Started my annual Halloween movie marathon a little while ago.

First on the block was Alfred Hitchcock's Lifeboat. I didn't want to start the day off with something too gory/scary. I was looking for suspense and boy, does this one deliver. This is by far my favorite Hitch flick and I had not seen it in a while. I love how the film plays with your first impressions of each of the characters. Everyone loves Psycho, Vertigo, North By Northwest, & The Birds. Those flicks don't need any promotion, but no one ever talks about Lifeboat. Check it out. See what happens when Hitch meets Steinbeck.

Next up, I wanted something completely different than Lifeboat and the Korean film Save The Green Planet is definitely that. It's the story of a nutjob who kidnaps a high level chemical executive because he thinks he's an alien. He takes the executive back to his compound and begins to torture the guy. When the film first starts off you're on the crazy's side and you're starting to buy his loony story. But as the tortures progress you start to side with the exec. And by the end you're not sure who's side you should be on. Wonderful, wonderful movie.

I'm on my third film now. Psycho III. I like the original Psycho. I like the remake. I love Psycho II. And this one is directed by Perkins himself. And it's easily the most demented. But it lacks something. I'm not exactly sure what yet. I get back to you on that. Jeff Fahey is dirty cool though. I wish he had made it to the mainstream.

Brad Gullickson
10-31-2005, 02:41 PM
Finished Psycho III.

Definitely not as shitty as some like to think. It's definitely the strangest of the Psycho bunch. Anthony Perkins gets hold of the material and goes completely nuts. The body count is raised. The blood flows freely. And there are a few severed limbs rolling around. Perkins even goes as far as mimicking shots from the original film like the staircase fall, only this time there's a nice sharp instrument waiting to impale someone at the bottom.

Now it's time to dip into some Italian horror. Mario Bava's anthology film Black Sabbath. Hosted & starring Boris Karloff.

TheTravis!
10-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Watching Nightmare on Elm Street at the moment.

David
10-31-2005, 02:52 PM
blair witch project is where im at for the moment, always gets me in the mood

Brad Gullickson
10-31-2005, 02:54 PM
Nightmare on Elm Street is always a good Halloween stand-by. I might watch one of them down the line. I'm thinking about Freddy's Dead. I feel like a little goofy Freddy and that one sure delivers on that end.

The first story in Black Sabbath is called The Telephone. So far it's a lot like the opening scene in Scream. Crazy guy calls girl on phone. He can see her. He says he's going to kill her. Let's see what happens.

Ryan Elliott
10-31-2005, 03:23 PM
I might watch Sleep Hallow later on tonight.

joeAR
10-31-2005, 03:25 PM
Mine consists of:

Halloween
The Exorcist
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original and Remake)
Audition
Poltergeist
When a Stranger Calls
Scream
A Nightmare on Elm Street
This will last until about 4:00 A.M.

FredC
10-31-2005, 03:30 PM
I think I might watch "Manos" the hands of fate.

TheTravis!
10-31-2005, 03:31 PM
After I finish watching "That 70s Show", I am considering slapping in Dawn of The Dead (2004).

Supajoe
10-31-2005, 03:31 PM
i put hellraiser on while i worked today. will probably watch young frankenstein with the wife. (she's a wimp when it comes to horror)

Kenneth I. Wolfe
10-31-2005, 03:34 PM
After I finish watching "That 70s Show", I am considering slapping in Dawn of The Dead (2004).

Why not 1978?

TheTravis!
10-31-2005, 03:35 PM
Why not 1978?

I like the remake better.

If I was going to be up late enough, I'd make it a double feature, though.

Ashton
10-31-2005, 03:42 PM
I like your plan- as soon as I get back from taking the kids out trick-or-treating I'll begin my movie marathon too.

BigButtPanda
10-31-2005, 03:48 PM
We'll be watching Poltergeist when I get home. :D Gleee! It's been forever and a day since I saw that.

Kenneth I. Wolfe
10-31-2005, 03:50 PM
I like the remake better.

If I was going to be up late enough, I'd make it a double feature, though.

Okay.

All right.

You like the remake better.

That's fine with me.

*steps into corner*

:cry:

jza1218
10-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Im gonna slap in Say Anything after Im done watching Titanic. Man...this film is hardcore...I dont know how Im falling asleep tonite...

TheTravis!
10-31-2005, 03:51 PM
Okay.

All right.

You like the remake better.

That's fine with me.

*steps into corner*

:cry:

Sorry. I like fast zombies.

BenitoCereno
10-31-2005, 03:53 PM
My movie marathon has been spread out over a couple of weeks. I did The Shining, The Thing, then a Nosferatu/Shadow of the Vampire double feature. Son of Frankenstein the other night, Videodrome this afternoon, and I've got Blair Witch and Don't Look Now waiting for me.

Kenneth I. Wolfe
10-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Sorry. I like fast zombies.

And fast stories.

TheTravis!
10-31-2005, 03:56 PM
And fast stories.

Romero does remarkably little for me, I'm afraid. I used to LOVE the "Dead" trilogy. But they haven't aged well to me. And "Land of the Dead" is a piece of shit.
Also, Sarah Polly is fucking adorable.

MattJohnson
10-31-2005, 04:02 PM
I think I might watch "Manos" the hands of fate.

That truly is horrifying.

TheTravis!
10-31-2005, 04:03 PM
That truly is horrifying.

Unless the screen also features a guy and two robots. Then it becomes GENIUS.

MattJohnson
10-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Unless the screen also features a guy and two robots. Then it becomes GENIUS.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what he meant. I can't imagine anyone watching that non-MST3K, but I also figured he would have specified if he was watching the episode, and not just the movie.

Kenneth I. Wolfe
10-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Romero does remarkably little for me, I'm afraid. I used to LOVE the "Dead" trilogy. But they haven't aged well to me. And "Land of the Dead" is a piece of shit.
Also, Sarah Polly is fucking adorable.

Then watch The Sweet Hereafter, you bastard!

Okay... I understand. It's just... well... in the original Dawn of the Dead you got to really see the characters grow and watch their lives become monotonous you get farther into the film and how that all falls apart. And how there's a certain hate/love relationship between the mall and themselves. You get to see them grow as characters.

In the remake it's just the concept. People live in a mall. Nothing really changes or grows in the characters. It's just zip, zap, we're bored, lets get out of here, AHH ZOMBIeS! Complete with every horror cliche known to man.

Also another difference was that the characters in the original were so attached to the mall, they had to be torn away from it. Whereas the remake characters just say , "Eh, we have to move on... AHHH ZOMBIES!"

The remake has the concept, but they don't explore the effects and development like Romero did.

But then again... you're just looking for a horror movie, not a philosophical movie. And I guess the special effects are better... much better in the remake (although personally it lost the appeal of zombies).

Eh, I don't blame you.

MattJohnson
10-31-2005, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure what he meant. I can't imagine anyone watching that non-MST3K, but I also figured he would have specified if he was watching the episode, and not just the movie.

This exchange inspired me to throw in the DVD. I'm already laughing hysterically, and I'm not even past the Hiring short. I actually had to stop, because I was laughing too much and I didn't want to disturb my cursed roommates.

Brad Gullickson
10-31-2005, 05:10 PM
Finished Black Sabbath. Good Bava. Not great. Like all anthology movies it was pretty much hit or miss. The first story "The Telephone" started out like the Scream opening but then became a bloodless EC comics reap what you sow story. The second tale was the best. It starred Karloff as a grandfather who after hunting down a Turkish vampire, a "wurkurlak" becomes transformed into one of the creatures himself. He then proceeds to destroy his family. It was pretty creepy except for the fact that it contains one of the silliest severed heads in cinema. The third tale, "The Drop of Water," was by far the weakest. It was pretty much a "Tell Tale Heart" rip off.

Now I'm started "Tetsuo: The Iron Man." Man, is this a fucked up movie or what. I have no idea what's going on. There's this guy and he's jamming metal rods in his leg. Maggots are growing out of the wounds. A baby's screaming now. What's going on. Now the metal guy has fucked his girlfriend to death with his drill dick. Now there is another metal guy fighting the first metal guy. This is some Lynch wannabe craziness. This has the feeling of being one of those movies that could drive you insane. That is to say if I wasn't a totally balanced human being like I am. I'm going to need something more back to basics to follow up this flick. A good ghost story.

As for the Dawn of the Dead remake debate. I definitely prefer the original over the remake but I loved the remake as well. I particularly enjoyed the music choices in the 2004 version. Perfect use of Johnny Cash. I liked Land of the Dead, but I must admit that it was a disappointment.

Evan the Shaggy
10-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Man, I was really looking forward to watching the original Halloween tonight and expected it to be on one of the thousand of cable channels, but it wasn't! Oh what a world.

Brad Gullickson
10-31-2005, 05:24 PM
yep, no Halloween on the boob tonight. But I believe AMC is playing Halloween 5 and 6. Not the best Michael Myers but when one's in a pinch.

This Tetsuo is coming to an end. I'm really not digging it at all. I like the make effects tremendously, but...it's just too student-film for me. I donít care if itís a metaphor for our obsession with technology consumption.

I think I'm going with George C Scott next with The Changeling. Good haunted house story. Something classy. Something atmospheric.

FredC
10-31-2005, 05:26 PM

Oh, yeah, I did mean MST3K'd version...

I didn't think anyone would bother watching it any other way.

MattJohnson
10-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Oh, yeah, I did mean MST3K'd version...

I didn't think anyone would bother watching it any other way.

Check. I'm 42:36 into it, myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

FredC
10-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Check. I'm 42:36 into it, myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

Glad to inspire!

Brad Gullickson
10-31-2005, 07:29 PM
The Changeling is a great movie. Seeing it again, I was surprised at how many chills it produced down my spine. Now it didn't scare the shit out of me like The Shining or Session 9, but it was still pretty damn spooky. George C Scott looses his wife and daughter and decides to move into a haunted house. Not a good idea. What follows is the inevitable murder mystery brought on by the various forms of haunting.

Now I'm going in a completely opposite direction. Mario Bava got me in the mood for Italian horror, so now it's time to jump right into the giallo pool with Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye. Just one minute in and we have a corpse being chewed to the bone by a bunch of rats. Excellent.

J.D. Lombardi
10-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah tonite I watched:

Donnie Darko director's cut
Jaws
Ichabod & Mr. Toad (Disney's animated "headless horseman")

Brad Gullickson
10-31-2005, 09:14 PM
I started to drift during Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye. It wasn't exactly as exciting as I was hoping. Nor was it really bloody for a giallo. Since I was drifting I really didn't follow the plot, but from what I could gather there was a crazed killer roaming a castle slashing the throats of nubile girls. And whenever the killer struck the damn castle cat was watching. If I had been in their situations I just would have stayed the hell away from that cat.

I was going to pop in Takashi Miike's One Missed Call next but my eyelids are heavy and I'm not sure I could follow the subtitles. Instead I'm going to hit the bed and leave the TV on. Pet Sematary is on one of the HBO channels. So I guess I'll let that one send me to nightmareland. There really aren't a lot of great Stephen King movies, but this one is pretty decent. Definitely one of the more disturbing/depressing ones. Personally my favorite King movie is Graveyard Shift but I'm just cooky that way.

Yep, I still need to check out that Donnie Darko director's cut. Did anyone else pick up that new Frank the Bunny action figure? It's pretty cool sitting atop my tv next to my Darkman figure and Big Trouble in Little China lineup.