PDA

View Full Version : Do you know this short story?

Tim Simmons
10-31-2005, 11:46 AM
There's this short story that I've been trying to hunt down for ages...figured I'd post up a synopsis here in the hopes that someone has read it, and knows the name and/or Author:

College gal is sitting in a laundrymat reading a newspaper- The article she's reading is about how Town Girls keep vanishing, and thier bones are found in the woods on the outskirts of the town.

She looks up, and there in the laundrymat is this Dude. He's wearing all black, his face is covered with a ski mask, and he's got all these hunting knives...

Dude attacks her- and knocks her out.

She wakes up in the Trunk of his car...He pulls to a stop, and lets her out. He's driven her (suprise) to the woods...he tells her to start running, and that he's going to give her a 15 minute head start, then he's going to hunt her down and kill her.

She's got no choice, so she runs...The bulk of the story is made up of her running around the forest...first scared, then she starts fighting back, by setting up traps and whatnot...She ends up fucking the dude up pretty good.

Shortly after she believes she's "gotten him", she comes to an opening in the forest- there she sees this other dude hanging out by a stream...she calls out to him and starts running to him, yelling: "some crazy guy is trying to kill me"- as she approaches, she realizes all is not right with this Other Guy...he's dressed in shambles and he seems to be gnawing on a dismembered finger.

The other dude starts racing towards her, and brandishes a knife...he's about to shank her, when, BLAM- Other dude falls down from a headshot.

There in the distance is the Dude, with a hunting rifle...turns out that he was using our gal as bait, to lure out the "real" killer...

Dude offers the gal a ride back to town, she tells him to fuck off, and walks back.

Anyone know this story? Read it a few years back in an anthology, can't remember the name of it- nor the book it came from...nor the author...

(I know it sounds a little like: "Incident On and Off a Mountain Road"
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=40364 (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=40364)
That's what jogged my memory on the story...)

Brad Gullickson
10-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Shit, I know I've read this story before. I think it's one of Richard Laymon's but I can't remember what the title is. It might be in his story collection Madman Stan but I'm not sure. I'll have to check my bookshelf and report back to you.

Tim Simmons
10-31-2005, 01:33 PM
Shit, I know I've read this story before. I think it's one of Richard Laymon's but I can't remember what the title is. It might be in his story collection Madman Stan but I'm not sure. I'll have to check my bookshelf and report back to you.

Brad, if you got this, you just might be elevated to "hero" status in my book!

Brad Gullickson
10-31-2005, 02:55 PM
Alright, I've found it. It is indeed a Richard Laymon story. It's called "The Hunt" and it appears in his collection Madman Stan and Other Stories published by Cemetery Dance here in the states and it's also in his collection Fiends published in Great Britain. Hope that helps.

gwyllgi
10-31-2005, 02:59 PM
that sounds like fun. any place online i could read that?

Tim Simmons
10-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Alright, I've found it. It is indeed a Richard Laymon story. It's called "The Hunt" and it appears in his collection Madman Stan and Other Stories published by Cemetery Dance here in the states and it's also in his collection Fiends published in Great Britain. Hope that helps.

AWESOME Brad!! YOU ROCK!!!

That's exactly it! After a quick google search, I discovered that I read it in an anthology called "Stalkers"...

Reading on about Laymon, he seems to be kind of an underground trove of stories...a little like a horror version of Richard Matherson...Thanks so much for introducing me to him!!

Now, OFF TO AMAZON.COM I go!!!

Brad Gullickson
10-31-2005, 05:15 PM
You're welcome Citizen.

As Stephen King said, "If you've missed Laymon than you've missed a treat."

Leisure paperbacks has been putting out a lot of his books. They're all worth a read. But if you want to read his best novel than you better jump over to amazon.co.uk and order SAVAGE. It's the story of how Jack the Ripper jumped ship to America and the boy who hunts him down in the Wild West. An absolutely brilliant horror tale.