PDA

View Full Version : Goddard... your PM box is full...

Kenneth I. Wolfe
10-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Here's something I want to recommend.

"The Push Man and Other Stories" By Yoshihiro Tatsumi.

They call Tatsumi "the grandfather of Japanese alternative comics. " This is, I think, the only work of his that has been published in America. I know you are not prejudice against manga, but you seldom read it because you cannot distinguish the good from the bad while buying them. This is one of the good. It's not your typical manga, so don't worry about manga cliches.

This book contains many of his short manga stories, each consisting of mainly eight pages. They mostly revolve around working class people who are outcasts in their society.

So, yeah, I just finished reading this and I immediately thought of you. But don't take my word for it:

(from the back of the book)

"From the moment I read Tatsumi's stories, he shot to the top of my short list of favorite cartoonist for adults. His direct storytelling style is bracing and raises the bar pretty high for those of us trying to entertain intelligent grown-ups."

- Gilbert Hernandez

"Tatsumi's comics are clean and straightforward without pretentious tricks. Storytelling at its best."

- Jaime Hernandez

I really, really suggest you get this. It seems like your kind of thing. The one I got is hardcover, I don't know if it's available in paperback, and it was $20 dollars, which I believe is a good price for something like this.

Want to find good Japanese manga? Read Yoshihiro Tatsumi's work.

natalie
10-18-2005, 06:26 PM
I'll second that recommendation.

Kenneth I. Wolfe
10-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Goddard... I see that you're on.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
10-18-2005, 07:41 PM
*jots*