PDA

View Full Version : Punisher Max Volume 1 HC

dEnny!
10-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Delivered last week and I read it last night and...it's pretty good stuff. I think Garth's Punisher series is underrated and taken for granted. I enjoyed the IRA stuff and the stories have that edge and bite you come to expect from Ennis. Heck I'm thinking of picking up Preacher now.

Brian Reed
10-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Preacher is one of my favorite series ever. I wish they'd do an Absolute version.

LenNWallace
10-12-2005, 04:29 PM
In The Beginning is neck and neck for me with Welcome Back, Frank as the best Punisher stories.

dEnny!
10-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Preacher is one of my favorite series ever. I wish they'd do an Absolute version.

Eh...now a Sandman Absolute or Sandman Mystery Theatre and I'm interested.

LenNWallace
10-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Eh...now a Sandman Absolute or Sandman Mystery Theatre and I'm interested.
Eh... I'm with Reed. Preacher and Transmet would be killer.

Chinaski
10-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Are there any extras in the Max HC?

dEnny!
10-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Are there any extras in the Max HC?

They have a section where it shows you Leandro's rough pencils to tight pencils to inks to colors for the entire seventh issue. Pretty interesting. I dug the pages where you see he changed it up.

dEnny!
10-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Eh... I'm with Reed. Preacher and Transmet would be killer.

I liked Transmet, but the issues of Preacher I read left me cold, just not impressed.

The Roman Candle
10-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Honestly, I prefer Welcome Back, Frank. I know that puts me in the minority, but I DON'T CARE! :x :x :x

ToadRunner
10-12-2005, 05:52 PM
MAX Vol. 1 is next on my list. "Welcome Back, Frank" was very good. Definitely the best Punisher has been.

Adam Witt
10-12-2005, 06:00 PM
I've got the first TPB of the MAX series on the way. Thank god for Pat Loika!!!!

Kenneth I. Wolfe
10-12-2005, 06:23 PM
I liked Transmet, but the issues of Preacher I read left me cold, just not impressed.

You only gave it one chance? Remind me to slit your throat, will you?

Mister Mets
10-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Delivered last week and I read it last night and...it's pretty good stuff. I think Garth's Punisher series is underrated and taken for granted. I enjoyed the IRA stuff and the stories have that edge and bite you come to expect from Ennis. Heck I'm thinking of picking up Preacher now.

I'm a Christian Republican, and I love comic books, and think Preacher is one of the best comic book series ever made (also hyperviolent, and blasphemous, but the great characters, art, action scenes, and twisted humor more than make up for it.)

What is your excuse for not owning every volume?

Most trades are available for 35% off at dcbs.
http://www.dcbservice.com/trade.aspx?id=8f&h=b&b=61&pid=5 (http://www.dcbservice.com/trade.aspx?id=8f&h=b&b=61&pid=5)

And incidentally, the first MAX Punisher arc kicked ass. The Cell topped it.

Mike Haseloff
10-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Was Confederacy of Dunces part of MAX, or MK?

LenNWallace
10-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Was Confederacy of Dunces part of MAX, or MK?
MK. Kinda wish that had gotten collected in a hardcover. it was a pretty cool ending to the MK series.

Mike Haseloff
10-12-2005, 07:33 PM
MK. Kinda wish that had gotten collected in a hardcover. it was a pretty cool ending to the MK series.Is it collected in a trade, at the very least?

I was pretty interested in it at the time (as a jumping on point for Punisher, as well as the story), but never got around to buying it.

It sounds like most of the MK stories were better than their MAX counterparts, level of violence aside. :?

Brian Reed
10-12-2005, 10:46 PM

I will say that, at the end of the day, I like Transmet more.

But Preacher is a close second for me. I read Preacher in trade form, one right after the other, so I got a pretty complete experience.

jza1218
10-12-2005, 10:56 PM
I liked Welcome Back Frank HC better as well. While I prefer the art of the new Max series, the story was better in the Knights one, not to mention it included The Punisher killing the Marvel Universe one-shot.

Allen Y
10-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Received this as well last week, and just blasted through "In the Beginning" once I started reading it. Absolutely loved it, and I'm looking forward to reading "Kitchen Irish" when I get the chance.

Allen

The Roman Candle
10-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Is it collected in a trade, at the very least?

I was pretty interested in it at the time (as a jumping on point for Punisher, as well as the story), but never got around to buying it.

It sounds like most of the MK stories were better than their MAX counterparts, level of violence aside. :?

Dunces was pure trash. A bad, bad story and (as far as I'm concerned) bad art. But then McCrea has his fans who will disagree, so that's a matter of taste. But Ennis' obvious dislike for certain characters made for some ridiculously bad characterizations and a story that really made little to no sense at all.

dEnny!
10-13-2005, 05:17 PM
I liked Welcome Back Frank HC better as well. While I prefer the art of the new Max series, the story was better in the Knights one, not to mention it included The Punisher killing the Marvel Universe one-shot.

I would say Welcome Back Frank was better too, but this was a good read that has its own merits.

I think I'm going to pick up the Volume 3 HC from the MK series.

What I don't get is this.

Punisher Volume 1 HC - MK Punisher Volume 3 #1-12
Punisher Volume 2 HC - MK Punisher Volume 4 #1-7 and #13-18
Punisher Volume 3 HC - MK Punisher Volume 4 #19-27

So will there be a Volume 4 containing #28-37 or issues #8-12???

Allen Y
10-13-2005, 05:19 PM
So will there be a Volume 4 containing #28-37 or issues #8-12???
8-12 (if those are the correct issues) were written by Tom Peyer, I believe, and it seems the ship has sailed on a Marvel Knights Volume 4.

Allen

Mike Haseloff
10-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Dunces was pure trash. A bad, bad story and (as far as I'm concerned) bad art. But then McCrea has his fans who will disagree, so that's a matter of taste. But Ennis' obvious dislike for certain characters made for some ridiculously bad characterizations and a story that really made little to no sense at all.Was it really a bad story, though... or was it just frustrating because he pisses on super heroes?

Punisher Volume 1 HC - MK Punisher Volume 3 #1-12
Punisher Volume 2 HC - MK Punisher Volume 4 #1-7 and #13-18
Punisher Volume 3 HC - MK Punisher Volume 4 #19-27Do the TPBs have the same problem? :?

dEnny!
10-13-2005, 05:27 PM
8-12 (if those are the correct issues) were written by Tom Peyer, I believe, and it seems the ship has sailed on a Marvel Knights Volume 4.

Allen

Oh yeah! Well that's understandable they'd skip that. No offense to Tom Peyer, but I'm sure they are trying to market Garth Ennis.

But collecting the rest of the series would be nice.

dEnny!
10-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Was it really a bad story, though... or was it just frustrating because he pisses on super heroes?

Do the TPBs have the same problem? :?

I know that the trades collect the entirety, not sure about the Peyer issues though.

Gavin
10-13-2005, 05:34 PM
The Irish stuff has been his weakest, but I still thought it was ok. I have this too, and love it.

dEnny!
10-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Issue #8 was by Ron Zimmerman...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :p

Mike Haseloff
10-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Issue #8 was by Ron Zimmerman...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :p:roll:

Are there many issues that Ennis didn't write?

dEnny!
10-14-2005, 07:26 PM
:roll:

Are there many issues that Ennis didn't write?

#7 - Steve Dillon
#8 - Ron Zimmerman
#9-12 - Tom Peyer

Everything else is by Ennis.