PDA

View Full Version : Post season Baseball round 1 picks.

Shane W
10-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Okay the first round is set Here are the match ups and my predictions in bold.

NL

San Diego Padres (82-80)
St. Louis Cardinals (100-62)
Cards just too strong for the Padres

Houston Astros (89-73)
Atlanta Braves (90-72)
Atlanta really only has two starters while Houston's three get it done

AL

Chicago White Sox (99-63)
Boston Red Sox (95-67)
Very little pitching for the red version, just enough to get it done for the whites

LA Angels (95-67)
NY Yankees (95-67)
Could be the best of the first round match-ups, I see the Yanks winning in 5.

Ben Rosen
10-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Atlanta over Houston
St. Louis over San Diego

NY over Anaheim
Chicago over Boston

anthony the ghost
10-02-2005, 03:58 PM
cards
stros

yanks
bosox

Bill!
10-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Padres, Braves, Chi Sox, Angels.

jason hissong
10-02-2005, 04:09 PM
cards
stros

yanks
bosox

just like last year. . . . :shudder:

I'd really like the Braves to beat the Astros. I think the Cards will get past the Friars. On the AL side, I think both are good matchups. It'll be an interesting ride, that's all . . . .

-j

Shane W
10-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Padres, Braves, Chi Sox, Angels.

And the first bitter pick is made. :lol:

Bill!
10-02-2005, 04:16 PM
And the first bitter pick is made. :lol:

Heh. In all honesty, its no ill will towards you, or even bitter about the Twins season. I have better things to moan about with the Vikes. This is just who I'd like to see win, get some new blood in there. I'm proud of the Padres able to pull out a winning season. I'd like to see the Braves get to the world series again, and I'm rooting for the Chi Sox all the way. Wished Cleveland could have made it in. Go AL CENTRAL!

Smokinblues
10-02-2005, 04:19 PM
i gave up picking baseball post seasons ages ago. anything can happen. i'm just hoping that the young guys are the spark that makes a difference for Atlanta. But I'm not holding my breath.

Angel of Distraction
10-02-2005, 04:21 PM
I don't know enough about two of them, but the Cards I see as severly over-powered for the Padres, and I honestly see a collapse for the White Sox. They almost didn't make it in.

TopFeeg
10-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Cards Braves RED Yanks

Dannñ B
10-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Cards Braves Red Sox Yankees

Freeway
10-02-2005, 05:17 PM
NL:
St. Louis over San Diego in 3
Houston over Atlanta in 5

AL
Chicago over Boston in 5
Los Angeles over New York in 5

God hates the AL East, and I hate the Red Sox AND Yankees. :)

gaspar
10-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Here are my picks:

NL:
Cards (though I'd love to see the Padres...)
Astros (I'm so happy and just a little surprised! They say pitching wins championships, we'll find out soon enough)

AL:
ChiSox (Just don't think the pitching is there for Boston...though if Manny and Papi get hot, they'll carry them far)
Yankees (I'd love to see the Angels continue on, but I just have a feeling that the Yanks will continue)

King of Mars
10-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Cardinals over the Padres.

Pads probably carrying chips on their shoulders because people think they don't deserve to be in the postseason but that extra motivation won't matter. Cards are too strong.

Braves over Astros

A dinged up Clemens and a Beltran-less line-up signal an early exit for the 'Stros.

White Sox over Red Sox

I just don't believe the Red Sox have the pitching to beat the White Sox. Their staff has been overachieving all season long and their luck is gonna run out here.

Angels over the Yankees

The Angels have the most complete team in baseball and they won't be intimidated by facing the Spanks 'cause they've taken 'em down in the postseason before.

NL Championship: Cards over Braves

These teams are a lot more evenly matched than some people might think but I can't see the Braves getting to the World Series with that shaky 'pen. Cardinals in seven.

AL Championship:

Angels over White Sox

Sox have great pitching but that underwhelming line-up will hurt them against a team that can, and will, score some runs against them.

World Series:

Angels over Cardinals

I think the absence of Rolen will catch up to the Cards in this series, against a team that can both pitch and score runs. They will take it to at least six games, though.

PeterSparker
10-03-2005, 06:37 AM
Cards
Braves

Red Sox
Yankees

Doug
10-03-2005, 07:05 AM
NL

San Diego Padres
St. Louis Cardinals
Cards are just too strong a team. Padres were luckey to be over .500. It is nice that the Pads made it to the post season, but if Barry was healthy for even a month longer then he was this year it would be Giants/Cards in the first round.

Houston Astros
Atlanta Braves
Astros have the pitching to get it done, but maybe not the hitting. I think that this is going to be the closest of the first round series, but I'm giving it to the Stors.

AL

Chicago White Sox
Boston Red Sox
Against my better judgement I'm going with the White Sox in this round. The Red Sox have great hitters, but aside from Papi and Manny the rest of the team has been slumping. Maybe they can kick it up, but the White Sox just took out the Indians giving some of their regulars a rest. This should be a good series.

LA Angels
NY Yankees
I'm a homer on this one. The Yanks are my team, and I am nervous about them facing the Angels, but if they can get past this round I think they will make it to the WS. The Yankee bats have been clicking, and they are hungry after loosing to the Red Sox last year. The Angels are a quality team, and if they beat the Yanks I think they will make it to the WS, but first they have to face the Yanks.

CS:
NL (if my predictions are correct):
Astros over the Cards in 6 games.

AL (if my predictions are correct):
Yankees over the White Sox in 7 games

World Series (if my predictions are correct):
Astros over the Yankees in 6 games.
The Stros have the best 3 man rotation in baseball right now. If they get their shit together, they will be World Champs.

Garra
10-03-2005, 07:06 AM
Cards
Braves
White Sox
Yanks

Then Cards over Braves
Yanks over White Sox

Cards over Yanks

bstie1198
10-03-2005, 07:21 AM
White Sox over Red Sox

I just don't believe the Red Sox have the pitching to beat the White Sox. Their staff has been overachieving all season long and their luck is gonna run out here.

??????????

The Red Sox pitching has been underachieving all year. I'm not saying they will start pitching to their potential all of the sudden, but for a team that's last in the league in reliever's ERA and 4th worst overall, I don't know how it can qualify as overachiving.

My picks:

Cards over Pads (I just don't see San Diego having enough to get by the Cardinals)
Astros over Braves (I like the 'Stros pitching in this one)

Angels over Yankees (Yanks got screwed over on this one, between losing home field on Showalter's pulling his starters, and having to play a hot team like the Angels on the West Coast instead of a team like the White Sox who are only 30-28 since the beginning of August)
Red Sox over White Sox (very favorable matchup for Boston, IMO, compared with the other two AL playoff teams. I just haven't liked what I've seen from Chicago over the past few months, even after their sweep of the Indians)

jason hissong
10-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Cards
Braves
White Sox
Yanks

Then Cards over Braves
Yanks over White Sox

Cards over Yanks

I like the way you think . . .

-j

bstie1198
10-03-2005, 11:17 AM
A fun article about common playoff theories and how accurate they are can be found here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=baseball/one/051003).

X arseface X
10-03-2005, 11:20 AM
cards
stros

yanks
bosox
Yup.

McAfee
10-03-2005, 11:33 AM
NL:
St. Louis over San Diego in 3
Houston over Atlanta in 5

AL
Chicago over Boston in 5
Los Angeles over New York in 5

God hates the AL East, and I hate the Red Sox AND Yankees. :)

This is how I see it down to the last dot. :D

King of Mars
10-03-2005, 11:54 AM
The Red Sox pitching has been underachieving all year. I'm not saying they will start pitching to their potential all of the sudden, but for a team that's last in the league in reliever's ERA and 4th worst overall, I don't know how it can qualify as overachiving.I think that getting 95 wins out of a cobbled together pitching staff made up of David Wells, Matt Clement, Bronson Arroyo, Tim Wakefield, and an oft injured Curt Schilling could be considered overachieving. Not exactly the cream of the pitching crop there.

Ray G.
10-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Cards over Padres
Astros over Braves

Yankees over Angels
Bosox over Chisox

Cards over Astros

Yankees over Bosox

Cards over Yanks.

Taxman
10-04-2005, 08:30 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/24.gif

vs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/25.gif
Like the Dodgers last year, the Padres are the one team in the field with no chance to win the whole thing. If they take one game from the Cards, it will be a violation against everyone who is forced to watch this horrible series. Cardinals

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/4.gif
vs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/2.gif
The White Sox are the top seed in the American League, but seened to have spent the last couple of months trying to find a way to get October off. They may have it over on the Red Sox in pitching, but Ortiz has become a one man wrecking crew. The only way they can beat Boston is to out slug them. Look for them to do this, for one game as Boston advances. Red Sox

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/3.gif
vs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/10.gif
This one I think is the hardest series to pick, because a three game sweep either way would not completely shock me. If the Yankees score early and stay away away from their middle relief, they should be able to handle the Angels. On the other hand, if Angels can keep NY off of the board and score some big runs as other have, their bullpen advantage should be enought to carry the series. As much as a pains me to pick against the hallos and to pick the Yanks, I am doing just that. Yankees

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/15.gif
vs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/18.gif
It is hard to believe that the Stros started the season so poorly and still made the playoffs AGAIN!! Remember when ESPN was talking about Clemens being traded to the Yankees? The Braves owe it to their fans. They owe it to there fans not to advance, because they wouldn't want to do this when their fans aren't there to see it. Seriously though, I think that Houston has too much pitching for Atlanta, they probably have to much pitching for the Cards or any one in the American League as well. This is the team to watch. Astros

DanLTaylor
10-04-2005, 08:31 AM
NL

St. Louis Cardinals over the San Diego Padres

Houston Astros over the Atlanta Braves

AL

Chicago White Sox over the Boston Red Sox

LA Angels over the NY Yankees
(My Angels do not fear the Yankees.)

lovewillkill
10-04-2005, 08:41 AM
My Angels do not fear the Yankees.

Amen, brother.

lwk

Bill!
10-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Scary. The Padres got to the Cards relievers, and it was just the opposite way around for Padres starters. May end up being an interesting series (hopefully).

SaintMike
10-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Cards
Astros

Sox
Yanks

Shane W
10-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Cards
Astros

Sox
Yanks

Going out on a limb there huh? :lol:

SaintMike
10-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Going out on a limb there huh? :lol:

An awfully fragile limb...

I've got a strong feeling my Yanks may get clipped if they're not careful this series. The Angels spanked them all summer.

Allen Y
10-05-2005, 08:18 PM
NL

San Diego Padres (82-80)
St. Louis Cardinals (100-62)

Houston Astros (89-73)
Atlanta Braves (90-72)

AL

Chicago White Sox (99-63)
Boston Red Sox (95-67)

LA Angels (95-67)
NY Yankees (95-67)
I think this series can go either way, but for now and picking purposes I'll give the nod to the Yankees.

Allen