PDA

View Full Version : I found a dog.

Kody
09-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Found a small black dog last night in my neighborhood. It was running between traffic and was certain to get hit sooner or later. No tags, no collar. So I took it home.

I contacted the local TV stations through their website and they're adding it to their lost pet listings.

I did some flyers and posted them in and around the neighborhood where I found the dog.

And I sent out a mass email to everyone I know in my town asking them to forward it around.

Can anyone think of an option that would help? This dog is obviously freaked out by the whole thing.

Shane W
09-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Found a small black dog last night in my neighborhood. It was running between traffic and was certain to get hit sooner or later. No tags, no collar. So I took it home.

I contacted the local TV stations through their website and they're adding it to their lost pet listings.

I did some flyers and posted them in and around the neighborhood where I found the dog.

And I sent out a mass email to everyone I know in my town asking them to forward it around.

Can anyone think of an option that would help? This dog is obviously freaked out by the whole thing.

You've done all you can do really. Maybe you get to have a new puppy now.

Pat Loika
09-21-2005, 12:50 PM
My girlfriend adopted a cat from New Orleans. I feel so bad for these pets when they're left homeless and they have no clue what's going on. Good luck with the dog, and you may have found a pet in him. :)

P.

xyzzy
09-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Have you contacted local animal shelters? Other than that, I think you've already gone above and beyond.

Kody
09-21-2005, 01:00 PM
We've already got a dog and two cats. I don't think we could handle a new one. Besides, this black dog is an older dog, not a puppy. I'm no dog expert, but I'm pretty sure it's a large breed chihuahua. Probably 35 lbs.

But luckily, a lady already called offering to keep the dog in a few days if the owner doesn't turn up.

Yano
09-21-2005, 01:09 PM
That's great that you're trying so hard to find the owners. Does the dog look like it's been cared for? Is it healthy? I hope you find the owners.

On the news yesterday, they showed this footage of this blind man from New Orleans that had just been reunited with his seeing eye dog. Everyone in the room was crying. The guy was so happy and the dog couldn't stop licking him and jumping up on him, trying to get as close to him as he possibly could.

I cried like a baby.

Damn hormones.

joespam
09-21-2005, 01:23 PM
I would totally give it to the lady who called before giving it to a shelter if you can't find the owner.

matthew spatola
09-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Awww, I love dogs...sometimes.

Steve Lieber
09-21-2005, 03:05 PM
You can post a notice on your local Craigslist. Also, you should take it to a vet to see if the previous owner put in one of those sub-dermal electronic ID tags. My wife and I rescued a lost dog from traffic a few months ago and we found the owner that way.

Captain Nate
09-21-2005, 03:08 PM
I would totally give it to the lady who called before giving it to a shelter if you can't find the owner.

As long as she doesn't operate a Korean Restaurant..

Ooh...damn, that was wrong, wasn't it?

David
09-21-2005, 03:23 PM
i found a cellphone today...... a little of topic, but still....wierd

Kody
09-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Update!

Tonight we found the dog's owner. It was a strange chain of events. Someone found a different dog and had flyers up. The lady that lost the dog we have, called the number on that other flyer, but it wasn't her dog, it was a similar sized dog of a different breed.

But the guy saw our flyer and remembered her telling him where she was staying. So he went over and knocked on the door (wasn't very far from his home) to tell her someone had found her dog (the dog we have).

So then the owner calls us. Dig this, she was a New Orleans resident staying in Lafayette for a while, she lost her home in Kartina and was crashing at a friends house. But tomorrow, she's leaving for New Orleans again, she found some rental property. It's been almost two weeks, so she figured the dog had died or someone decided to keep it since it's a cool dog.

So lucky for her, and us, we connected the night before she was set to leave. Kind of cool that we were able to get her dog back to her since she was real down about loosing her home and the dog thing was a big blow on top of all that. She's had this dog for 8 years, and for those of us that have dogs, that's like family.

So she got her dog back and a little happiness along with all the chaos she's going through. And the dog was damn happy too.

Modok Gas
09-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Good job!