PDA

View Full Version : A question about the wandering Jew

Olivier E.
09-21-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm in an argument with my girlfriend, it's been a time we read sandman, but when both meet for the last time, does he ask Sandman a last favour, I'm saying no, Zoe is saying that he asked to get his mortality back? Who's right? Say me :mad:

Gregory
09-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Are you talking about Hob Gadling?

I remember him asking Death to finally die.

mitchymitchymitchy
09-21-2005, 12:14 PM
i thought he told death he still wanted to hang around and live...

Jim T.
09-21-2005, 12:15 PM
What Tracker said. He wasn't the Wandering Jew, was he? He was just a guy the Sandman made immortal so he could see what it was like.

Olivier E.
09-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Are you talking about Hob Gadling?

I remember him asking Death to finally die.

the one guy Sandman always met in that tavern every 100 years

MattKrizan
09-21-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm in an argument with my girlfriend, it's been a time we read sandman, but when both meet for the last time, does he ask Sandman a last favour, I'm saying no, Zoe is saying that he asked to get his mortality back? Who's right? Say me :mad:

I know in Season of Mists, Hob asks for a certain bottle of wine that's been long gone. Don't know if that's their last meeting or not, but that's the only favor I can remember Hob asking.

Gregory
the one guy Sandman always met in that tavern every 100 years

Yeah, that's him, but he's not the Wandering Jew, at least not officially. He attained immortality right before the Renaissance. The Jew started wandering centuries before that, according to legend.

MattKrizan
i thought he told death he still wanted to hang around and live...

He did, yeah.

Jew Mafia
09-21-2005, 12:18 PM
He wasnt the wandering jew and he decided to go on living

Jew Mafia
09-21-2005, 12:19 PM
I know in Season of Mists, Hob asks for a certain bottle of wine that's been long gone. Don't know if that's their last meeting or not, but that's the only favor I can remember Hob asking.

he appeared in one of the wake issues attending a ren fest with his gf, he contemplates asking to die but then after some thinking and talking he decided to live.

Xander Boune
09-21-2005, 12:21 PM
I've never read Sandman, but Alan Moore wrote a one shot about Wildstorm's Mr. Majestic at the end of time when the universe was collapsing. Only 8 others survived, including a sentient virus, a demonic being, an engine god, and some others. One was Manny, the Wandering Jew, who appeared to survived until the end of time without any explanation in the book. Was Manny a homage to this Wandering Jew?

MattKrizan
09-21-2005, 12:23 PM
he appeared in one of the wake issues attending a ren fest with his gf, he contemplates asking to die but then after some thinking and talking he decided to live.

Yeah, but he didn't actually having a meeting with Dream in that one. He mentioned having a dream about running into Dream and Destruction, but that was it.

Olivier E.
09-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Yeah, that's him, but he's not the Wandering Jew, at least not officially. He attained immortality right before the Renaissance. The Jew started wandering centuries before that, according to legend.

But in Hellblazer Lady Constatine, lady constatine said at the end she was looking for Sandman who meets every 100 years with the wandering jew in a special tavern

Gregory
09-21-2005, 12:27 PM
But in Hellblazer Lady Constatine, lady constatine said at the end she was looking for Sandman who meets every 100 years with the wandering jew in a special tavern

I would call that revisionism. Or, at best, confusion between two humans who attained immortality.

Jim T.
09-21-2005, 12:28 PM

Hmmm...has to be someone other than Hob. Otherwise, he was the least Jewish Wandering Jew ever.... ;)

Seriously, I thought the Wandering Jew legend was linked to the Crucifixon - that definitely wasn't Hob's original era.

Generic Poster
09-21-2005, 12:30 PM

I think it was just common lore that Hob was the wandering jew - Johanna Constantine was just mis-informed.

Jew Mafia
09-21-2005, 12:31 PM

She was under the mistaken impression that it was the wandering jew. I dont recall the exact conversation but I'm fairly sure Hob states as much to her in one of the issues of Sandman.

MattKrizan
09-21-2005, 12:33 PM

I don't remember what she said in the Hellblazer mini. I know when she shows up in the Sandman issue she says she'd heard rumors about the devil and the wandering jew meeting at the inn every hundred years. To which Dream says, "I'm no devil," and Hob says, "And I'm not Jewish."

I can't believe how much of this I remember. I guess I've just read it way too many times.

Bill Nolan
09-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Maybe she was just being a wise-ass calling him that...

- Bill

BenitoCereno
09-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Hob Gadling wasn't the Wandering Jew. But rumor had it that he was, which is why Lady Constantine brought it up.

The Wandering Jew is an old piece of folklore that was commonly believed in medieval times. I'm watching Lost so hell if I'm going to look it up for you guys, but just to go Wikipedia or something and search for Wandering Jew. It'll turn up.

Hob Gadling also refused mortality in his last appearance in Sandman.

The Roman Candle
09-21-2005, 01:26 PM
No. Death talked to Hob and he told her he couldn't die yet, because his girlfriend would kill him.